Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy 2 >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 9/16/2014 10:57:02 PM   
gdrover

I purchased Battle Academy 1, as I do with many Matrix Games.
It was a fine little game, but somehow didn't quite have the right feel for tactical combat.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I was playing it, I frequently felt that the decisions that I made didn't always have the right results.
I played it for a few days, put it down, and never went back.

That is NOT the case with Battle Academy 2. They really got it right this time.
When I make good choices with which units to use and in what order to execute a proper attack, I am often rewarded with success.
When I act hastily or make a bad decision, I am often punished and my units take hard losses.

Infantry are essential for fighting in towns and woods, and AFVs rule the open spaces.
Using cover correctly is essential! Approaching a Russian village across an open field is asking to be ambushed.

Not only does the game reward proper tactics and punish you when you stray, but it is full of many elegant design mechanics.
My favorite is the 'Power-ups' (I'm sure they are called something different in the game), that give the player the ability to perform special actions every few turns:
* Rally a unit that has lost morale
* Air Strike
* Artillery Bombardment
* Increase the experience of a green unit
* Air Superiority
* Air recon

I have played through the first five battles, and am completely hooked on this wonderful game.
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 9/17/2014 3:12:00 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Glad you are enjoying it! Good hunting

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 9/17/2014 3:47:19 PM   
gdrover

This is the best World War 2 tactical game since Steel Panthers, and actually reminds me of that game in all the best ways.
Though now that I've typed that, I have to say that Battle Academy 2 is probably a bit better: better graphics (obviously, but importantly), better user interface, and more interactive and immersive.
I love the narrative created in each scenario. I really have the feeling of being there and trying to accomplish my mission.
Brilliant!

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 9/17/2014 9:36:29 PM   
Alan Sharif

Have to agree. Enjoy BA, but enjoying BA2 even more. Would love to see future games cover 39-41, WW2 Pacific, Spanish Civil War and then move on to the Korean and Arab-Israeli Wars. If I promise to buy them all will you make it so?

A Sharif

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 9/18/2014 11:40:56 AM   
IainMcNeil

Thanks guys - if you like the game it would be a great help to post a review over at Steam with your free Steam key! :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 9/18/2014 12:01:36 PM   
Agathosdaimon

BA2 looks great - i am interested in this one, more so than BA, is it callenging like Steel Panthers? is the AI only scripted to do the same things or does it react dynamcally? just curious
cheers

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 9/18/2014 12:41:54 PM   
Blond_Knight

BA and BA2 use two scripts for the AI. A generic "battle script" common in all missions that controls the AI's core traits, movement, attack, facing. Above that is a specific mission script that tells the AI to do things required for the mission, go here, defend this bridge, etc.

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 9/25/2014 1:39:16 PM   
gdrover

Posted review on Steam.
So glad Slitherine/ Matrix is distributing their products via Steam.
SO much easier and more dependable than previous methods.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions - 9/30/2014 12:10:50 PM   
Noakesy

I must confess I've never bought a game on steam but many have suggested it - what's the difference? (apologies for the somewhat dumb question)?

Ooops, and BA2 is excellent. I quite like BA1 but the East Front is a significant improvement, hopefully you can bring the western front up to the same spec one day soon

< Message edited by Noakesy -- 9/30/2014 1:11:42 PM >

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 9/30/2014 3:21:30 PM   
Tac2i

I'd suggest you continue to buy directly from Matrix/Slitherine. You'll get their license key and then you can get your free Steam key. It does not work the other way around.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 10/4/2014 3:22:37 AM   
gdrover

I have been a Steam customer for about 7 years and love it.
Steam has a client that resides on your desktop, so whenever you want to purchase a game (or check out the games in your library), you just have to click on the Steam Desktop icon and you're on their site.
When you purchase a new game with Steam, it places a unique icon on your desktop, but also keeps all of your games in your Steam Library, so you will always have them, even if you get a new computer.
Whenever there is an update for any of the games that you own on Steam, they automatically update, so you are always playing the most recent version of the game. This is WAAAAAYYYYY nicer and more user-friendly than having to find out about, try to locate, and then navigate the download of updates for each of your games from various publishers.
Steam is THE PC gaming download hub.
If you haven't checked it out, google it and check out the site. LOTS of great strategy games and others available there.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 10/4/2014 3:25:12 AM   
gdrover

Webizen -
Not sure why you'd ever need a Matrix/ Slitherine Key if you have a Steam key. Steam is much easier to deal with, auto-updates, and will always have your library of games.
No-brainer really.
I am thrilled that Matrix games are available via Steam. Thrilled!

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 10/4/2014 11:41:58 AM   
Tac2i

Nothing against Steam but as long as Matrix/Slitherine offer a free Steam key, I'd rather purchase directly from Matrix/Slitherine. Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Having great fun with BA2. Highly recommended if you like tactical IGOUGO (with opportunity fire) games.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 10/4/2014 12:45:17 PM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 10/4/2014 4:33:42 PM   
TheGreatRadish

I bought BA2 on Thursday - I'm a BA1 vet, it was a great game but, as I play SP only, once the campaigns were done there was nothing else there for me. BA2 - WOW - the skirmish mode is incredible, you guys really nailed it. I've played about 30 skirmishes on random maps without even touching the campaigns yet. So much fun, in some ways it reminds me of the halcyon days of randomly generated battles in CMBO and, given that I played that game to death, I mean that as a great compliment!

Though the setting is interesting, I'm more into Western Front. If Slitherine start introducing WF content, even just based on the existing work from BA1, and the terrain etc. to make soild WF based skirmishes then I think I'll be in heaven and have no need for any other tactical wargame. I'd happily pay the same again tbh for WF content as DLC. Please make it so!

< Message edited by TheGreatRadish -- 10/4/2014 5:34:49 PM >

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 10/9/2014 4:43:56 PM   
altipueri

I bought this because Webizen recommended it. I've seen his posts on Advanced Tactics.

What I like about games is the random scenario generator. Not many games have this, John Tillers Campaign Series, and the old Combat Mission did. Anybody know games from other eras that had this? Oh yes, Sid Meier's Gettysburg did.

(in reply to TheGreatRadish)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy 2 >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI