Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Burma Bungle!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Burma Bungle! Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 5:56:09 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

You used him on Tone?!?

Sure. The Tone is one of my most active ships. Sure beats putting him in a BB that sits in port. I am quite happy with the Tone's performance...sure beats yours.

But she only has forward-facing guns! Travesty!

I like Kongos. I'd put him in a Kongo.

I don't think I have had a battle where a BB fired their rear facing turrets.

Anecdotal!

At least put him in a Mogami! I've always been partial to Suzuya.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2431
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:15:09 PM   
Lowpe

June 16th, 1943

I-169 gets several torpedoes off at a juicy target, and hits, but no explosion.

Where is this force headed to? Will run down the coastline seeking a naval engagement? Or, will it bombard Moulmein?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2432
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:20:28 PM   
Lowpe

During the night Moulmein it hit with a heavy waves of Allied night bombing, and the Allied cruiser force bombards Moulmein while the IJN Cruisers flee down the coastline to Tavoy.

The sweep of Akyab doesn't happen, and I end up losing 17 Betties to assorted CAP over either Akyab or the returning Allied cruisers, but I garner some solid intel: the heavy hitters are at Akyab! Battleships and APs! Oh my!

Too bad I didn't think to send my heavy cruiser force to Moulmein - I might have gotten lucky and hit them after their bombardment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2433
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:34:01 PM   
Lowpe

Interesting times in Burma!

What superior seamanship is being shown on the Aoba as she makes her mad dash down the coast...damage control crews pump out some counter flooding, clearing compartments, and pick up some much needed speed. Amazing! Exciting! Death defying! What suspense!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2434
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:40:04 PM   
Lowpe

If I had to guess, the Allies are going to invade Ramree. Not much there now.

Caveat: I have had a very poor record of guessing correctly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2435
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:43:55 PM   
Lowpe

Elsewhere: About 200 Chinese combat squads get sent to the hereafter in two different engagements.

In the deep water near Pescadores, an xak is torpedoed by an American sub. She is burning, and will try to make it the one hex to Pescadores, but even money she is toast. Crispy toast. What is worse, though, is that it is a Yusen N.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2436
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:47:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Anecdotal!

At least put him in a Mogami! I've always been partial to Suzuya.

But it is a lot of anecdotal evidence!

Heck, I can't transfer him....the crew would revolt.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2437
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 6:49:42 PM   
Lowpe

Okay: On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being no biggie, and 10 being send everything including the kitchen sink rate the current crisis in Burma.

Is it an opportunity or death knell?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2438
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/25/2014 11:43:03 PM   
PaxMondo

In perspective:

You like to hold Burna through mid-44 because Palembang is in B29 range from Rangoon.

Having said that, in your game, given your starting point, I think holding the DEI through mid-44 to be an unrealistic goal. Holding the DEI to 1/1/44 is a goal and then every day after is gravy.

So, you situation in Burma now is consistent with losing the DEI in early 44 ... So should you cave? No. Go all in? I don't think so. The allies can't beat you in Burma, but you can lose the game there if you lose too many LCU's ...

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2439
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 12:31:08 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Holding the DEI to 1/1/44 is a goal and then every day after is gravy.

That goal seems a little more reasonable.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2440
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 12:38:32 AM   
Lowpe

Who builds these sub transports?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2441
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 1:00:51 AM   
Lowpe

The big excitement this day will be the first deliberate attack Kweiyang. 11 full IJA Divisions, plus tanks, artillery, engineers against 2500 AV of Chinese troopers spread across 8 Corps. I have 3 HQs and prep near 100 for a lot of the troops.

I have bombarded for several days, and bombed, and will bomb prior to the attack. I think the supply situation in China for their troopers is very bad and attacking supply has always been a goal of mine since day 1 of my takeover.

You can see from the map below that Chinese Corps are all over the place cutting roads and rails. Surprisingly enough it doesn't seem to effect supply to the front line troops. I am not shipping supply to China.

The Chinese threw a Corp across from Chungking to the east, for the third time, and here they came across with 0 AV and no supply. I am counterattacking, and have set a tank recon unit to reserve pursuit in the hopes they follow across the river closing the hexside without triggering a shock attack.

Near Changsha another Chinese Corp will surrender shortly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2442
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 1:35:31 AM   
Lokasenna

Agree with Pax.

Defend what you can. Don't overcommit. You've been reading obvert's AAR. A big thing hastening the end of his game was the trashing/cutting off of a bunch of his units near Tavoy. Don't let that happen to you!

Also, Eff those SSTs. Not worth the expenditure. If 40 points of supply (per sub) are going to make a difference for you at some island or other, then you did something wrong, IMO. Not that I don't use the USN subs to transport supply at 48 or 60 per, in 1942, but that's a different situation. I don't have to pay for those subs. You have to pay for these SSTs.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2443
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 1:36:49 AM   
Mike Solli

One of the first things I do is to shut these guys off.

quote:

Who builds these sub transports?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2444
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 1:46:03 AM   
Lowpe

Strong feelings about those sub transports! They certainly seem like gifts to the Allies.

Courtesy of Obvert's AAR here is a graphic of ranges from Darwin....I currently control Darwin, but it could fall any day since I have no troops there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2445
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 3:18:53 AM   
PaxMondo

Exactly. Once the allies hold Rangoon and Darwin, all of the DEI oil is within B29 range. Ergo, you have no more oil. The goal for me in my games is hold those two until 6/44-ish.

Again, though, your starting point doesn't really allow for that goal. You're committed to much more of a defensive struggle. Essentially you inherited a game where you lost 7 months of expansion. That has a big price ... you lose the DEI 6 months earlier than most will plan for. Oh well ...

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2446
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 11:58:31 AM   
Lowpe

June 17th, 1943

Allied night bombing of Toungoo. All quiet in the Marshalls.

A Sentai of Zeroes sweep Akyab, 16 lost for 21 Allied fighters: P40K and Airacobras. Too bad they didn't sweep with the Betty raid...

The Aoba makes Tavoy and continues emergency repairs. 2 enemy subs close.

China:

My large bombing raid of Kweiyang fails to materialize, but the IJA attacks the starving defenders. It hurts, but some prices you have to pay. I probably should have put some of the smaller AV infantry into bombard only. The Chinese are moving something out of the Kweiyang...

My clever plan to pursue across the river into Chungking fails to materialize when the 41st Chinese Corp surrenders instead of fleeing back across the river.

The stubborn 99th Chinese Corp holds on another day near Changsha. I have started cleaning up some of the /A, /B, /C thirds of corp that are pestering the supply lines.

Chinese air force fails to fly again...no supply I gather.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2447
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 2:19:11 PM   
Lowpe

The Aoba will sit for a day or two at Tavoy pumping out counter flooding. Over 100 fighters are keeping watch over her, and Tavoy itself has 0 detection level, but is susceptible to a night bombing attack.

In 2 weeks I will bring the Irving NF online, and all squadrons (1.1 total) will go to protecting oil and refineries. Not great, but better than nothing.

The question then becomes how to use the squadrons I do have. I guess I have to expand the squadron to size 20 (it is Jakes now). Then should I split it into 1/3 and put some at three different bases, or should I simply keep it whole and protect one base like Medan?

I will have one full squadron of 20, the Endo detachment of 2 until Sept, and a second full squadron comes in as reinforcements on Sept 16 size 18 and a third in Jan of 44.

There are 4 squadrons that can upgrade to the Nick which is scheduled for 4/44, but with research I should get her closer to Jan I hope.

Back in August of 1942 when I took over, I thought that simply accelerating the Irving (since it is first) would cover my NF needs in the SRA. I assumed the 251 Ku-S1 would be capable of upgrading to the Irv, it is but only after upgrading to the Denko first! That is a loss of 45 potential night fighters and now I know I am going to be hard pressed to protect the resources until Nick comes along. Just not enough planes.

With no HR on night bombing I am in real trouble. The 10% CAP Dinah KAI & generous AA works better than anything else, and I suspect I will need to convert another squadron to this use. I am lucky in that the Allies have used their bombers in other roles.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2448
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 2:49:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Exactly. Once the allies hold Rangoon and Darwin, all of the DEI oil is within B29 range. Ergo, you have no more oil. The goal for me in my games is hold those two until 6/44-ish.

Again, though, your starting point doesn't really allow for that goal. You're committed to much more of a defensive struggle. Essentially you inherited a game where you lost 7 months of expansion. That has a big price ... you lose the DEI 6 months earlier than most will plan for. Oh well ...

I....suppose this is true. However, running the Japanese out of oil isn't going to (directly) win the game for the Allies.

Much better for them to use the B-29s against HI industry, where they'll get points.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2449
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 6:47:09 PM   
Lowpe

June 18th, 1943

Night bombing of a couple of bases in Burma and Indochina. Japan loses two Zeroes on the ground,but get a bomber or two with flak.

At Victoria Point a destroyer and a cruiser run into a fresh Allied minefield. In a new move, the destroyer doesn't sink, and the Tone only takes 3 damage.

Destroy another 100 squads in China, and in a shocking move the Chinese have totally vacated Kweiyang! Helens bomb Chungking and destroy 10 fighters on the ground. I will rest the Helens today, and hit the airfield with armored Betties tomorrow along with Nick and Zero Sweeps.

Now do I purse against the defenders of Kweiyang that went NW and probably can't dig in to fast, or cross the river to the NE against 5 units of unknown ability that have been there for months? Seems like an easy choice to me...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/26/2014 7:48:39 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2450
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 6:59:12 PM   
Lowpe

Burma

A BB shows up on the sunk ship page. Let us see: Emilies dropped a couple of 250 kg gp bombs on her while at Madras, then she got torpedoed I believe (perhaps I am confusing her with POW I will have to double check), and then the other day at Akyab we landed 5 more bomb hits on her. Hard to believe she is sunk.

You can see the Allies taking control of central Burma. New lines are shown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/26/2014 8:00:29 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2451
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 7:05:47 PM   
Lowpe

American Carriers really want to play! I am glad he does this, otherwise I would be really scared about an impending invasion. Knowing the location of his carriers lowers my angst considerably.

Just have to watch the setting on my airplanes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2452
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 7:19:57 PM   
Lowpe

Economic Notes:

I am dropping off resources at Foochow, Amoy, Hong Kong, Cam Ranh Bay and Saigon. Saigon seems to feed Cam Ranh Bay very nicely, at least it doesn't seem to be going back to Singers. Cam Ranh Bay just shipped out 20K oil and fuel, with larger increases in Manchuko (PA). Port Arthur feeds Korea. Fusan ships to the HI (where oil and fuel stocks are growing finally).

It has taken 6 months to accomplish this flow...but I never gave in and continued to work the system. I now have close to 80K worth of liquid tankers shipping out of Fusan. My worry now is feeding Indochina and China to keep the pipeline flowing. A good worry.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2453
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 7:28:24 PM   
Lowpe

Despite losing the Mandalay, I have picked up 450 victory points in the last 5 days. Tomorrow I will get Kweiyang with its size 3 airfield, and more importantly 41 light industry. Since there is no enemy opposition, I should get it intact and I really need the supply generation in China, plus the airfield is only 4 hexes from Chungking.

I plan to bomb Chungking's airfield with 3 sentais of Helens, resting 1 squadron each day.

I bought out a trashed Brigade at Kweiyang on the cheap. Pretty nice...although as Lok says they probably will die on an Island somewhere now instead of living in China till wars end!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2454
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 7:36:10 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

I....suppose this is true. However, running the Japanese out of oil isn't going to (directly) win the game for the Allies.

Much better for them to use the B-29s against HI industry, where they'll get points.

Only get points for Japanese industry no?

This game is not typical. I have 3.3 million oil, most other games I have seen have far far less but more fuel.

The sooner Japan starves for oil the better (from a perverse AFB viewpoint), and since this scenario 1 level resources, there is no bonus fuel cushion. No oil, ultimately no fuel, no HI, ultimately starved for supplies.

At this point in the game I would hit oil first, HI second, refineries third, LI last. When the B29s come, I don't think I would change my targeting.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/26/2014 8:39:12 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2455
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/26/2014 11:05:12 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

They don't necessarily have to completely choose. Targets of opportunity of either Oil/HI/LI work just fine in 44. They'll knock it all out eventually.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2456
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/27/2014 1:33:37 AM   
ny59giants

Any ship that gets hit with a working torpedo shows up on the sunk list.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2457
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/27/2014 3:02:59 AM   
PaxMondo

edited per request

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/27/2014 2:30:18 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2458
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/27/2014 11:07:55 AM   
Spidery

quote:

A BB shows up on the sunk ship page. Let us see: Emilies dropped a couple of 250 kg gp bombs on her while at Madras, then she got torpedoed I believe (perhaps I am confusing her with POW I will have to double check), and then the other day at Akyab we landed 5 more bomb hits on her. Hard to believe she is sunk.

It seems that when a capital ship is moderately damaged and in port it is not shown as sunk. As soon as she leaves port the intel guys reassess the damage reports and declare the ship as sunk. What this suggests is that Ramilles has left Akyab and moved 3 hexes along the coast. Using this information you may be able to vector subs in to finish her.

In my first PBEM I was able to use this to hunt damaged BB leaving Pearl for the West Coast.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2459
RE: Burma Bungle! - 10/27/2014 11:47:20 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery
It seems that when a capital ship is moderately damaged and in port it is not shown as sunk. As soon as she leaves port the intel guys reassess the damage reports and declare the ship as sunk. What this suggests is that Ramilles has left Akyab and moved 3 hexes along the coast. Using this information you may be able to vector subs in to finish her.

In my first PBEM I was able to use this to hunt damaged BB leaving Pearl for the West Coast.

Great advice!

Many thanks!

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 2460
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Burma Bungle! Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI