Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Burma Bungle!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Burma Bungle! Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/2/2014 9:34:10 PM   
obvert

Your big attack here shows another reason why I think SL helot the Allies in China at least a bit. With SL I could never fit so many units in a hex and so could not lose such insane numbers at once, thus making any effort to hold the next hex behind almost useless.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2521
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/2/2014 9:36:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I never thought of using size 81 Kamikaze groups -- at what point would you actually run out of Naval pilots?

This game really rewards concentration of force, but it is a for me at least a game that I want to have fun with first and foremost, and win (or in the case of Japan not lose) secondly.

So no size 81 kamikazes for me...for no HR games go for it! Just have fun and chronicle the results.

Depends on your scenario. Scen 2? Maybe never. Scen 1? Definitely possible.

At the end of my game that stopped in 7/45 I had something like 3-4k fully trained kami pilots still in the pools, and lots more in the system. Maybe you'd run out very late, but i think with 81 plane groups the Allies might run out of ships first if you were using them well.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2522
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/2/2014 10:38:11 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Your big attack here shows another reason why I think SL helot the Allies in China at least a bit. With SL I could never fit so many units in a hex and so could not lose such insane numbers at once, thus making any effort to hold the next hex behind almost useless.

I think SL makes for a better game. But I wasn't around when this one started...

About 120 VP for the day in land combat losses....

Still, this is a sideshow. It will be the Americans that come crashing thru the central pacific or north pacific of SRA or all three that destroys me. Really, wherever the Americans want to go.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2523
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/2/2014 11:22:55 PM   
Lowpe

R&D Goodness

Steady progress in the uber planes. Can I survive long enough to use them?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2524
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 12:49:23 AM   
ny59giants

You can add SL to any game in progress by just changing the PWHEX files. You can get them at DBB website. My longest running game was changed in middle.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2525
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 1:18:45 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

R&D Goodness

How the heck do you get that many R&D planes to repair that quickly for planes that come in so late?!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2526
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 1:27:43 AM   
topeverest

It will be interesting to observe if these assets will arrive in time to use to any effect.

quote:

R&D Goodness

Andy M

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2527
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 8:01:47 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

I think SL makes for a better game. But I wasn't around when this one started...

About 120 VP for the day in land combat losses....

Still, this is a sideshow. It will be the Americans that come crashing thru the central pacific or north pacific of SRA or all three that destroys me. Really, wherever the Americans want to go.

Possibly. Still. Think of any delay as an important delay.

Even the USN coming to knock on your door can be a good thing. The Allies have a lot of stuff to think about late, and as they concentrate on a particular area other places might open up for small annoying counter-strikes messing with the various LOC.

Recon is your best friend and with the Dinah III and the Myrt you have some great eyes to see deep into the other side.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2528
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 12:11:22 PM   
Lowpe

I am still working on my turn and as soon as I finish it I will get to your questions and comments....lots, and lots of micromanagement this turn. Yuck! Yuck! and Yuck!

I am pursuing relentlessly in China near Kweiyang...although that huge attack has really drained the supply pipeline. Resting all bombers and fighters. They will return to bombing when the troops are one day away from combat.

I made 4 more squadrons of 9 plane Petes for night CAP work. I hope this works near as well as Dinah since it is a less expensive solution than building Dinah KAI.

The American carriers really, really want to play some. Tough luck, I went home. For now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2529
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 4:53:20 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

You can add SL to any game in progress by just changing the PWHEX files. You can get them at DBB website. My longest running game was changed in middle.

I didn't know that. How is the game playing after the switch. Does it feel like the switch benefited one side over the other?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2530
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 4:59:14 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
How the heck do you get that many R&D planes to repair that quickly for planes that come in so late?!

Other than NF, they are the only planes I am researching. Oh, I have some research on other planes I plan on building like George, Frank, Grace, but it is very, very small -- no more than 2 size 30 factories.

Instead, I am loaded for bear on those two planes. In fact, I have bet the farm on them for the endgame.

This being a midgame pickup by me, after Japan was savaged thru July 42, I don't feel gamey at all doing it, and in fact was one of the major reasons to pick up the game.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2531
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 5:03:37 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest
It will be interesting to observe if these assets will arrive in time to use to any effect.

The 64 million dollar question! Once the Americans get going, it is going to be tough to stop.

The recent actions by the American carriers in the Marshalls give me hope. So aggressive, steaming around basically in circles, fully spotted for days! Seems very reckless to me.

I don't fancy hitting his hammer with my hammer since I fear they both would shatter. No problem with his shattering, but I need mine to be a deterrent to buy time for these uber planes.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 2532
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 5:08:53 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Possibly. Still. Think of any delay as an important delay.

Even the USN coming to knock on your door can be a good thing. The Allies have a lot of stuff to think about late, and as they concentrate on a particular area other places might open up for small annoying counter-strikes messing with the various LOC.

Recon is your best friend and with the Dinah III and the Myrt you have some great eyes to see deep into the other side.

Good points, I am playing for time.

No r&d on Myrt so early/mid 44 for them I think. Dinah III is getting a workout now, and I am losing less of them now they fly at max altitude.

Don't forget the Glen equipped subs. The vast majority of my subs are now in picket positions, only a few hunting his ships.

I worry about a Tavoy invasion (but feel I can counter that right now nicely); an invasion from Perth (where I have lots of subs looking currently), and less about losing the rinky dinky islands in the Marshalls.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2533
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 5:17:18 PM   
Lowpe

I sent an E ship (4vp I think) into Ponape. Actually, I forgot to re-direct her. I think there are 100 fighters there too. The base will probably be bombarded, but it would be nice to get 100 fighters chewing up his strike planes. I would think those carriers of his are getting thirsty.

Once I get Norms, they are going to go on my last CS, the other two went to carriers, and will steam west of Perth where there are glen equipped subs, and I will send the Tone down there with her, and see if I can get some rather long range strikes in with 20 Norms on his convoy ships. They should be able to easily hit and get away.

I have converted 7 float squadrons to Petes, but it will be a week before pilots and planes are ready...some will have to train for a while. I sure hope they work as a disruptive night CAP. Can't really hurt.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2534
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 7:30:58 PM   
Lowpe

Here is a look at my laid up carriers.

I think if I had it to do over again, I would like to use the CS as CS filling them with Jakes and sending them off to raid convoys. They are fast, and have healthy amounts of fuel. Enough to feed a destroyer and make a long range raid.

Of course, there is nothing to stop me from using them to carrying Judy in two months, but that the opportunity will be more dangerous then and I think I want to use them to beef up the fighter defenses....time and skill will tell if I made the right decision here.

Such a long time in port to convert and at a time when I am relatively strong.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2535
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 11:02:07 PM   
Lowpe

July is coming up; so I checked out new Allied planes.

Words fail to describe the horror I feel. My little digital planes are going to take it on the chin.

Where is the Ki-202? Plans are being sent from Germany, unfortunately in a very slow Uboat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2014 12:03:54 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2536
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 11:10:30 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

July is coming up; so I checked out new Allied planes.

Words fail to describe the horror I feel. My little digital planes are going to take it on the chin.

Where is the Ki-202? Plans are being sent from Germany, unfortunately in a very slow Uboat.

Maybe it got sunk along the way.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2537
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 11:19:44 PM   
Lowpe

Avoidance is the only answer. Maybe shore bombardments, but that has gotten so darn risky. Tokyo Rose might dampen their morale. I am out of ideas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2538
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 11:25:16 PM   
mind_messing

My plan is quite simple.

Planes that are much slower than the Thud go down low to turn fight, anything within ~40 kmh of the Thud gets sent to their best MVR band. Anything that can fly higher than the Thud goes above for the dive bonus.

You'll see just how miserable the situation is for Japan when I flip the Downfall turn back to you.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2539
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/3/2014 11:29:30 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
You'll see just how miserable the situation is for Japan when I flip the Downfall turn back to you.

Uh-oh. I guess my daylight bombing raids worked. I take no joy in pounding your mercilessly, I will have you know.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 2540
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 7:38:44 AM   
obvert

quote:

My plan is quite simple.

Planes that are much slower than the Thud go down low to turn fight, anything within ~40 kmh of the Thud gets sent to their best MVR band. Anything that can fly higher than the Thud goes above for the dive bonus.

Good plan. Better is to avoid it if possible, which it usually isn't! I'm sure you're facing the P-47N now. Not fun.

Post #: 2541
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 9:34:07 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Uh-oh. I guess my daylight bombing raids worked. I take no joy in pounding your mercilessly, I will have you know.

The bombers didn't fly, the fighters caused carnage enough on their own...

quote:

quote:

My plan is quite simple.

Good plan. Better is to avoid it if possible, which it usually isn't! I'm sure you're facing the P-47N now. Not fun.

I'm starting to think that way. Sadly there's not many places that you can simply not have CAP over.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 11/4/2014 10:36:07 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2542
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 11:36:38 AM   
Lowpe

June 24, 1943

Night bombing in Burma. No damage. 2 Fletchers bombard Ponape and get outsize results. I have noticed that Fletchers are really good at shore bombardments -- it must be their radar?

This was a day of a thousand clicks as I think every Allied bomber and fighter group fly. Sweeps, bombing runs (at airfields) in both the Burma area and in the Marshalls, Ponape, and Kusaie.

I shudder to look at the supply loss. The only base that has fighters contesting the skies is Ponape, where Hellcats sweep several times. In the end we lose equal number of Zeroes to Hellcats thanks to heavy op losses on the Hellcats. So far in about 2 weeks of use Allies have lost 40 Hellcats -- they produce 130 a month.

In Burma, the Allies move 1000 tanks to Lashio, fighting in each hex along the road, but I doubt that I will be able to hold -- there are two splinters of RTA division on the road east of Lashio to prevent the opening of the Burma Road plus I will be able to threaten from the south too. Tanks are tough!

In China, the IJA wipes out 150 more squads...tanks take an important crossroad in the mountains north of Kweiyang.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2014 12:39:57 PM >

Post #: 2543
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 11:43:42 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

I'm starting to think that way. Sadly there's not many places that you can simply not have CAP over.

The Thunderbolt hasn't tangled much with the Ki201 yet...perhaps there is hope with that plane.

My experience with Downfall, makes me glad I have invested in the Ki202 -- in fact it might be the most important thing I have done. More than ever I need to hold on until that plane comes along. I will need thousands.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2014 12:44:27 PM >

Post #: 2544
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 12:06:29 PM   
Lowpe

In one day of bombing, with no fighter cap present, I lost 1000 supplies in Kusaie Island. Ouch!

And this was not all his bombers in the area as he hit other bases for supply losses: 500 at Wotje; 100 Maleo; 200 at Ponape for rearming fighters; 1000 supply gone at Roe from a day or two previously.

Against a thoughtful opponent I don't think there is a way to defend these bases short of the KB -- and it is not worth risking the KB over.

I can risk the KB once I start getting the Ki202 in numbers.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/4/2014 1:09:40 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2545
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 12:08:23 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

The Thunderbolt hasn't tangled much with the Ki201 yet...perhaps there is hope with that plane.

The combat debut hasn't filled me with hope...

RE: China

Are you heading west from Kweiyang to close the mountain passes, or driving north to invest Chungking? At this stage, I think the latter might be quite important.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2546
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 12:13:36 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

The combat debut hasn't filled me with hope...

RE: China

Are you heading west from Kweiyang to close the mountain passes, or driving north to invest Chungking? At this stage, I think the latter might be quite important.

I haven't fully decided yet...I hope to do both? I figure I have less than a month before the Burma road is open again. Maybe longer depending upon how the game mechanics work. The troops are all preparing for Chungking.

At least all the Artillery will go to Chungking.

Post #: 2547
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 2:08:14 PM   
Lowpe

Resource stockpiles at Fusan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2548
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 2:09:29 PM   
Lowpe

Fuel and Oil at Fusan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2549
RE: Burma Bungle! - 11/4/2014 2:22:56 PM   
Lowpe

I managed to get the Jake squadron onto a CS for resizing. You can see the squadron switched to independent.

The Irvings plus the use of Petes (knock on wood) should really help with the night bombing.

Before I upgrade all the pilots will go to reserve, and the Irvings will be piloted by Tracom pilots only.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2550
Page:   <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Burma Bungle! Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI