Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/25/2014 5:17:06 AM   
Maromak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

Those MiG-31s are quite potent!

How are you making out against them? Might need to back them off a touch.

B

At the moment I'd say they're almost untouchable unless the player was willing to trade for one or more F-15/AMRAAMs. Another possible tactic which I haven't tried yet is to wait until the MiGs go RTB which you can observe if the RAF E-3 is pushed north-east of Iceland.

Certa Cito

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 61
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/25/2014 9:44:21 PM   
magi

well..... i have started version 2.... i spent a lot of time studying the scenario before starting to get a handle on everything going on.... your briefing is one of the best ive read... i wish other designers will take example from you... briefings are important... as you need to have mission objective and some basic awareness of red force obo disposition and intent... your is good....

my assessment is red force is extremely potent and well positioned... i am not going to start aggressively... the mission is to defend the lines of communication and thats what i will do.... i have almost reversed course with my cv group... heading south southwest.... it will compress my operational envelope.. making it easier to defend sloc and extent reds flights.. reduce their sortie rate and time in area... i will destroy them piecemeal and move north when i have domance.... in the northeast i will play it by ear... start conservative... i will not press my subs on their surface groups until i can support them from the air...

i see you have 2.1 so i will start over... no time lost for me really.... this will be fun....

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 62
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/30/2014 3:05:46 AM   
magi

i just love this scenario.... really great... 7 hours into it... wished i had strike munitions at Lossiemouth....

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 63
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/30/2014 9:47:59 AM   
Gunner98

The strike wing at Lossiemouth has (will) bash itself into oblivion in scenario 7 'Plug the Gap' - which if I can get a few hours together, will be out for test in a week or so. Buccaneers and Jaguars against the Su-33's supported of course by Harriers. Besides, wouldn't want to make it too easy . Hold the line (scenario 8) was built out of sequence because I liked the concept and wanted to test some stuff.

Glad your enjoying it.

B

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 64
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/30/2014 6:46:58 PM   
Maromak

I've almost finished this one. Running out of all useful ammo so must be in a combat zone! I've just sent my F/A-18Cs to the beach (UK) to load up on more AIM-120As..

Aside from the long range bombers, there's no offensive air left.

Certa Cito

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 65
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 11/30/2014 7:25:33 PM   
ojms

The CVBG ECM mission doesn't have OECM set to active, is this on purpose?

Post #: 66
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 12:22:42 AM   
Gunner98

Excellent, nicely set up for 9.2 Changing of the Guard, when the Carl Vinson steams North while the Enterprise with empty ammo lockers, heads for the beach.

(in reply to Maromak)
Post #: 67
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 12:25:52 AM   
Gunner98

When I originally set it up, I put Radars on and OECM off with the understanding that the OECM would give away the general location too easily. I have not tested the concept but my understanding is that Jamming takes about 4-5 times more power. The CV also has a Det from an EW Sqn to do some offset jamming. Would appreciate any comments on what works best.

B

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 68
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 6:20:47 AM   
magi

i ordered a second monitor because of you and this totally cool scenario...... thank you very much.... i cant wait til it gets here...

(in reply to Count Sessine)
Post #: 69
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 7:50:04 AM   
ojms

One thing I've noticed is that the F-15A's heading north from New Orleans seem to be heading for the tankers based out of goose bay. I've fixed this in the editor by moving the KC-10's further south but i'm unsure now whether the F-15As will have the range to reach Thule. any ideas?

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 70
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 9:38:40 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

i ordered a second monitor because of you and this totally cool scenario...... thank you very much.... i cant wait til it gets here...

Sorry bout that I run three monitors, I keep the msg window on the 2nd, the DB and the mission editor as well as Google on the third.

Glad your enjoying it.

B

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 71
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 9:51:48 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: ojms

One thing I've noticed is that the F-15A's heading north from New Orleans seem to be heading for the tankers based out of goose bay. I've fixed this in the editor by moving the KC-10's further south but i'm unsure now whether the F-15As will have the range to reach Thule. any ideas?

Hmm, perhaps the Goose tankers are too far west. They should make it, in ferry mode they have a range of 2300nm and they only have about 2900 to get to Tule, so they should make it as long as the tankers aren't too far south. You will certainly need tankers running out of Tule later in the scenario anyway so it might be prudent to send a couple North now in a temporary circuit a couple hundred miles south of the base, then shift those big boys up to Tule to support future ops.

I'll have to check on that.

Thanks

B

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 72
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 9:57:25 AM   
ojms

The only thing is the KC-10s aren't under player control, so it's fine when I play in editor mode but not for most people who don't.

Cheeers.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 73
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 6:04:08 PM   
magi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

Sorry bout that I run three monitors, I keep the msg window on the 2nd, the DB and the mission editor as well as Google on the third.

Glad your enjoying it.

B

i wish they would make the Unit/group status field be movable... like it could also be optioned in a windowed format... that way you could have all the real estate on one monitor for the map and command bar....

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 74
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 7:37:47 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

quote:

Excellent, nicely set up for 9.2 Changing of the Guard, when the Carl Vinson steams North while the Enterprise with empty ammo lockers, heads for the beach.

You should put an AE out there and let her UNREP on the way back...

:)

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 75
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/1/2014 10:48:38 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overlord

quote:

You should put an AE out there and let her UNREP on the way back...

:)

There is a Sacramento Class heading North (in 9.2) for a replenishment - but you will need to protect it:

B

Post #: 76
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/2/2014 4:51:33 AM   
VegasOZ

How do you "save views" of different map areas? I am not able to find out how to do that so far.

I would certainly like to have that ability to focus and save certain areas during a mission.

Thanks

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 77
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/2/2014 6:55:20 AM   
ojms

There is a sea sprite on board on of the allied ships that doesn't have a load out, is this intentional?

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 78
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/2/2014 10:13:50 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

How do you "save views" of different map areas? I am not able to find out how to do that so far.

I would certainly like to have that ability to focus and save certain areas during a mission.

Thanks

You need to select a unit then use 'Ctrl #' Where '#' is between 1 & 9, Then whenever you type that number you zoom to the saved view.

A very useful feature.

B

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 79
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/2/2014 10:15:17 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

There is a sea sprite on board on of the allied ships that doesn't have a load out, is this intentional?

I tend to mix it up a bit with Air-Dets on ships a mix of ASW, Mar Surv and not loaded. Generally this is to give a mix of status at scenario start. Which ship?

B

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 80
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/3/2014 3:49:26 AM   
Dannyp19

Just stumbled upon this a few days ago. I remember trying this one when you 1st. Put it out. Also tried H-Hour when you brought it out. It was unplayable then. Now it runs very well on my new machine.

But the biggest difference is the Sim itself. Amazing improvements since a year ago it's almost a different Sim. (Can't wait for the new build/upgrade).

I'm sorry, but I forgot all about your N Fury scen.'s....just to many damn scen.'s and not enough time.

A very nice piece of work you have done here.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 81
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/3/2014 9:44:45 AM   
Gunner98

Thanks. I have a few weeks off starting this weekend, so intend to tidy this one up and release it. Will also put out at least two more for testing , Keflavik Capers and Plug the Gap before the end of the year. After that - Eisenhower moves North, Changing of the Guard and Aardvarks Revenge are almost ready - just need some time....

Getting much more interest on the testing which is great and really appreciate it.

B

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 82
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/3/2014 6:29:52 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

Still playing this out...the F-18C AMRAAMs have just made it to the CV and a Shipwreck strike is inbound.

I got lucky early on with an F15/tornado raid with jammer support towards Iceland...pressed hard and got several fighters and jammers and killed several tankers I found. I think that is the big reason I've had good luck and why I keep getting soviet aircraft lost msg...they have all run out of gas....lol

I am about ready to launch an attack on the western battle group and if successful will either work on the Eastern group or move north to Iceland.

I am still upset at some of my planes running out of fuel for no reason. I had a Seahawk orbiting the CV with a msg that it had priority landing due to low fuel and for 30 minutes it didn't land..just crashed..grrr that and a S-3 viking did something similar...

Overall fun and time consuming game..lol

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 83
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 9:41:17 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

I got lucky early on with an F15/tornado raid with jammer support towards Iceland...pressed hard and got several fighters and jammers and killed several tankers I found

Well done, unfortunately this is what I was trying to avoid by trickle feeding the Ftrs in the UK - having too much combat power too early.

Would you say that the adjustments made to the UK base have made it too easy for the player? Are you able to use the F-4s, or are they largely outclassed?

Good luck on the strikes, glad your enjoying the game.

B

Post #: 84
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 1:52:14 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

No I kinda sorta cheated... I sent a KC135 across the Atlantic with a pair of AIM-54 F14s to Lossiemouth...

The KC135 is supporting the F15s while the Victor can handle everything else. I'm using the F14 radar for long range search and vectoring in the Tornado/F15s.

The FGR.4 Phantoms aren't that useful against the front line fighters but they have the legs to go after the tankers/jammers with the Victor support.

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 85
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 2:18:34 PM   
ojms

The first thing I did was launch all my tomohawks at the runway access points at keflavik which stopped any flights from there, would that be classed as "cheating" ?

Post #: 86
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 6:43:58 PM   
Maromak

quote:

quote:

Would you say that the adjustments made to the UK base have made it too easy for the player? Are you able to use the F-4s, or are they largely outclassed?

B

I didn't really use the F-4s so these could be removed from the scenario imho.

Also, the F-15Cs in the UK can't refuel from the UK tanker which is a good balance of capability i.e. can only use the Tornados for very long range intercepts.

Certa Cito

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 87
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 7:58:04 PM   
Dannyp19

quote:

The first thing I did was launch all my tomohawks at the runway access points at keflavik which stopped any flights from there, would that be classed as "cheating" ?

I dont think its cheating its in the briefing. I did the same thing at the start using jammer support from UK and Enterprise with excellent results. Im getting a lot of messages of enemy aircraft losses.

The loss of a helo. trying to land is a bug that is fixed in the next release IIRC. Ive lost one also.

Also lost a Viking to a pot shot! My torpedo fired and hit an SSN (I dont have a precise ID) but didnt sink her. That SOB surfaced at shot down my Viking. . . thats going to be one dead SSN!

I sent the F4's on a mission to get some recon and OECM birds and they got shot up pretty bad. Should have given them some ECM support.

@ Gunner- What is the max. AC that a carrier can support? I dont want to have "air boss" issues.

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 88
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/4/2014 9:47:06 PM   
Gunner98

The TLAM strike at Kef is fair ball. I am surprised that it is very effective, might have to crank up the AD around there. My thoughts on Kef at this stage of the campaign is that it would take a significant strike, well coordinated with EW, AAW, SEAD and ASuW strike in conjunction with TLAMs to close the base. If a player can pull it off - well done , scenario 10.1 'Ant Eater's revenge' and '10.2 Buff's bite back' focus on closing the base before the combined weight of the Carl Vinson and Eisenhower to restore cave dwelling as an acceptable way of life up there. All in preparation for 'Jar Heads on Ice' to retake the island.

I would call the shifting of the tanker and F-14's a bit of a stretch, clever and obviously effective, but it unbalances things a bit. I wouldn't want to specifically restrict that move but I'll need to think about disadvantaging it somehow.

Dannyp19: The Max is 90 but a good number for an Air Group is 72-76. I have not tested this but from what I've read that seems to be the norm for the era. In this scenario there are already 82 in the Air group and the potential to reinforce by 24x F-18, you will max out quickly unless you take casualties or beach some A/C. Rule of thumb is 1 for 1, to fit the 24 new AC you need to lose or move 24 or at the very least 18. If it comes to deck space, priority has to be to get the F-18Cs with the AMRAAMs out there first - then beach the F-18A's in exchange for the Jar-Head F-18As at Oceana who are come loaded with some SLAM's - you will have ammo issues later

I am really glad that improvements to the game are allowing you all to enjoy this one, very reassuring and I appreciate the comments. Should be able to fix it up and release as final this weekend.

B

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 89
RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line - 12/9/2014 11:46:57 AM   
Tomcat84

It came up in closed beta that a lot of your AI missions have "Engage opportunity targets" doctrine set to Yes - inherited.

This led to a TU-16 ECM aircraft chasing a Tornado F.3 to try and kill them with its tailgun. You might want to take a look at that? :)

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: New Scenario: Hold the Line Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI