Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2014 1:42:41 AM   
Aurelian

Russia's War: A History of the Soviet Effort: 1941-45 by Richard Overy/

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1351
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2014 3:32:57 PM   
Kuokkanen

My latest bought is Days of High Adventure by Elliott Kay. I've got Kindle version of it which I read with iPhone 4. I quote you part of the book:

quote:

Then she came upon a single, large tome, laid upon an ornate bookstand. It was bound in iron and covered in arcane symbols, with an iron chain securing it to the floor. Fearing some sort of mystic trap, Amanda dared only open it with a stick. Nothing exploded, nor did she turn into a frog or a rat. She stepped closer, reading the words on the first page with wide eyes. Then the next page. Then the next.
"Holy ****," she breathed. "It's just like fourth edition rules."

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1352
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2014 4:03:03 PM   
MrsWargamer

I have not been diving into my library a lot in recent years.

So my finishing Point of No Return about the 20th Airforce in the Pacific during WW2 was a rare moment.

A very interesting read. As great as the B29s were, they were a major hell to get into service, very hard to keep in the air, the engines were a major challenge. They lost more crews and planes to the planes themselves, than they frequently did to the efforts of the enemy.

But no other plane could have done what it did for the Allies.
Reading about the mine laying missions was interesting. I don't think of mine laying when I think of that plane.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1353
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2014 6:51:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Been alerted to a book on The Battle of Savo Island, seen from an Aussie perspective. The Shame of Savo has been out for sometime but I had never heard of it.

Should be an interesting read, especially considering an RAAF crew has been officially exonerated from the charge laid against them in Morrison's works that they failed to carry out orders after having sighted Mikawa's ships heading toward Guadalcanal.
warspite1

Just finished the book. What an excellent book!

Puts me in the mood to re-read Frank's Guadalcanal, so that's next

warspite1

Began reading this again - like re-visiting an old friend! what a great book.

Guadalcanal is such an interesting campaign - the only chance the Japanese had to really hurt the Americans (given the mix of forces available at the time) and they totally stuffed it up. Obviously there is nothing Japan could have done to ultimately win the war, but what if Mikawa had proceeded to attack the transports off Guadalcanal and Tulagi? Someone really should bring out a detailed Guadalcanal game.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1354
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/18/2014 10:29:13 PM   
nelmsm1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Episode 12 of the Frontier Saga by Ryk Brown is now available!

Great "Space Opera" series. Very grandiose plan... 5 series of 15 books each set in his universe. Different time periods and new characters in each.

This is the first series and still three more books to go after this one, but Brown is a very speedy writer and produces about three books a year. Each book is pretty satisfying even with some cliff hanger endings so the wait for the next volume is not really a problem like in some series where the individual books feel incomplete. plenty of action... highly recommended.

Also if you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber ($9.95 a month for unlimited reading with up to 10 books checked out at time) these are free to read. The new Unlimited service has worked out well for me as I've found a lot of books that I like on the eligible list. They offer a one month free trial so you might want to check it out and meanwhile pay attention to which books you are looking at for the "Kindle Unlimited" banner on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ep-12-Rise-Alliance-Frontiers-ebook/dp/B00OGOBPI2/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AG98N411YHR786EG9N9

Thanks for the recommendation on this one. I found that I had picked up the first book as a freebie for the Kindle and dug into it the other day. Was a fun read. Now it's got me on a Sci-Fi kick and I've been reading two books by John Ringo, Gust Front and March Upcountry, one at home on the Kindle and the other at work on the Kindle app.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1355
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/21/2014 12:11:18 AM   
TulliusDetritus

I am starting Richard J. Evans' trilogy about the Third Reich.

The Coming of the Third Reich or book #1

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 1356
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/23/2014 7:14:35 PM   
Zorch

I'm starting "The Great Polar Fraud: Cook, Peary, and Byrd—How Three American Heroes Duped the World into Thinking They Had Reached the North Pole".

Post #: 1357
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/23/2014 7:22:25 PM   
parusski

Just started: Revival: A Novel by Stephen King

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 1358
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/24/2014 12:57:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I miss (horror, mystery) movies based on his novels Why did they stop doing them? Plenty of them in the 80s and 90s.

I had read King was living where he always lived (before he became famous), with his same old friends. Doing the things he always did. This when he could have started a life of uber, non-stop debauchery: wimmen, drugs, alcohol, expensive things.

Goes to show he has a good head on his shoulders

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 1359
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/24/2014 9:16:23 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I miss (horror, mystery) movies based on his novels Why did they stop doing them? Plenty of them in the 80s and 90s.

I had read King was living where he always lived (before he became famous), with his same old friends. Doing the things he always did. This when he could have started a life of uber, non-stop debauchery: wimmen, drugs, alcohol, expensive things.

Goes to show he has a good head on his shoulders

So true of King staying centered. He is known to walk the streets and visit shops in Bangor.

As to movies, The Mist(2007) based on the 1980 novella by the same name, was a really good movie and it's available on Netflix. I do not much care for Under the Dome on CBS. I somewhat enjoyed the novel, but I do not think it should even be in the top 50 of best books by King.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 1360
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/25/2014 4:53:05 PM   
Rodwonder

Bouncing back and forth from Knife Fights by Lt. Col. John A Nagl and Hitler's Pre-Emptive War by Henrik O. Lunde.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 1361
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/25/2014 5:14:15 PM   
MrsWargamer

On the side table for the moment keeping me interested is Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck.

Very easy to read. Some books can be very dry, but his narrative is engaging.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 1362
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/27/2014 11:00:14 AM   
wodin

Fire and Movement by Peter Hart.

@MrsWargamer..yes Von Lucks book is one of the good ones.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 1363
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/27/2014 2:10:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

I was so impressed about Days Of High Adventures that I bought another ebook from same author: Good Intentions. 19 years old college boy saves angel and succubus from rape and earns their gratitude. After that... life gets interesting

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1364
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/8/2014 2:09:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I finished Richard J. Evans' trilogy about the Third Reich. Not bad.

Now reading Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 by Max Hastings. When I think about Churchill I inevitably think about Marcus Tullius Cicero. His oratory amazing skills etc. I am pretty certain he knew he was somehow emulating the Roman political orator.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1365
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/8/2014 4:57:35 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have read through Good Intentions and its sequel Natural Consequences. Great fun reads. Particularly impressive is balance of horror and comedy elements: some grim horrific frak happens, then someone does or says something that makes me grin and even laugh. I quote you part from Good Intentions that doesn't break forum rules:
quote:

As Drew hauled himself up and in, though, the pickup shook. Drew looked up to see the thing standing over the cab. The claws on its feet punctured the roof to help it gain purchase. Wade reached out of the cab with his sub-machinegun again, only to have it swatted away by the demon's tail. "I am Harrow," it roared, "First warrior of Baal!"
Drew didn't listen to the introduction. There was only one thing to do with the giant white demon-thing leering at him as if it were about to eat him: he punched it in its ugly face.

Am I any weird for giggling at that?

And those parts of the books that likely break forum rules: cursing (much of it from angel Rachel) and detailed sex(ual) activities. Fun read as I say!

MekWars

Post #: 1366
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/9/2014 12:32:05 AM   
parusski

Been reading The Storm of Steelby, Ernst Jünger

TulliusDetritus, I am listening to the audio book Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 and so far is it excellent.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1367
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/9/2014 12:45:52 AM   
wodin

Really enjoyed them mate..good reads.

quote:

I am starting Richard J. Evans' trilogy about the Third Reich.

The Coming of the Third Reich or book #1

Post #: 1368
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/9/2014 12:46:48 AM   
wodin

WOW..your some fast reader!!!

quote:

Now reading Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 by Max Hastings. When I think about Churchill I inevitably think about Marcus Tullius Cicero. His oratory amazing skills etc. I am pretty certain he knew he was somehow emulating the Roman political orator.

Post #: 1369
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/9/2014 1:53:22 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

WOW..your some fast reader!!!

quote:

Less internet = more time to read. And I never watch TV. I am reading like 4-5 hours a day lately. A pleasure

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1370
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/9/2014 5:36:41 AM   
wodin

Cool...I found at times with the trilogy though I was burning out abit with it so took my time with them..reading other books at the same time.

Post #: 1371
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/11/2014 12:41:14 PM   
Ostwindflak

Started Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian three days ago. About 100 pages in and really enjoying it!

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 12/11/2014 1:41:40 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1372
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/11/2014 1:02:05 PM   
Aurelian

http://richthofen.com/scheer/

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 1373
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/11/2014 9:24:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Cool...I found at times with the trilogy though I was burning out abit with it so took my time with them..reading other books at the same time.

I found book #2 of the trilogy (The Third Reich in Power) a little bit repetitive. I noticed the guy was repeating himself quite many times. In other words, what he said in let's say 100 pages could have been said in let's say 20 or 30 Overall, excellent trilogy.

Now reading The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1374
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/12/2014 4:56:49 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have bought myself some more Kindle stuff. I have just started with collection of stories about Conan the Cimmerian written by Robert E. Howard. Yesterday evening I started with Hyborian Age and I'm still stuck on it. I'm slow reader and I have tons of other things to do. Like installing games on my new tablet and testing them out to find machine's limits. Now downloading Age of Wonders 3 from Good Old Games.

MekWars

Post #: 1375
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/13/2014 8:59:59 PM   
wodin

Just Finished Prague Fatal (A Bernie Gunther novel) by P Kerr. This and Berlin Noir are must reads, love them.

Now starting Covenant of Death by John Harris. Great so far.

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/13/2014 10:00:26 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1376
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2014 11:56:58 AM   
warspite1

Speaking of Prague, I've just started The Ghost of Munich about the infamous 1938 Munich Agreement and seen from the point of view of Edouard Daladier.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/14/2014 12:57:46 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1377
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2014 3:45:14 PM   
Zorch

Warspite, did your copy of Friedman's WWI book ever arrive?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1378
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2014 3:56:35 PM   
warspite1

It did sir, although has had little in the way of attention due to work commitments and other books that need to be read. Really glad I have it though for when I get that WWI feeling back.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1379
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2014 5:34:32 PM   
Frubgarde

I am currently reading "The Greek Islands" by Lawrence Durrell.

Not very martial, I realise, although Durrell does provide some anecdotes about his escape from Greece during WWII and the Invasion of Crete. Started reading it as a (sort of) background to Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, which I also have on the go.

PB

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI