Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Undo button

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Undo button Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Undo button - 9/28/2015 11:49:36 AM   
Blind Sniper

Where is?

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

Post #: 1
RE: Undo button - 9/28/2015 12:42:51 PM   
jhdeerslayer

+1

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 2
RE: Undo button - 9/29/2015 12:21:05 AM   
Talon_XBMCX

+2

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Undo button - 9/29/2015 6:02:10 AM   
zakblood

you can't find it as it's not there and also imo not needed, it's a cheat key, so why use it, if you make a mistake, like they did in the real war, live with it, and learn off it, or work around it and move on...

(in reply to Talon_XBMCX)
Post #: 4
RE: Undo button - 9/29/2015 9:28:24 AM   
Blind Sniper

Not at all, is enough to disable it when you discover something (like WitE), but if you made a mistake you can redo the move, and when you play big scenario is pretty annoying.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Undo button - 9/29/2015 1:14:13 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Most war games have no undo button especially if they have any kind of Fog of War rules. An undo button gives you the ability to scout without committing yourself.

Kennon

Post #: 6
deleted - 9/29/2015 1:43:53 PM   
Ironclad

deleted.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 9/29/2015 2:44:58 PM >

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: deleted - 9/29/2015 2:54:07 PM   
zakblood

if enough wanted it and it could be done without too much effort, i'd guess you would have it already, but just in case, post it in the suggestion post then it may or may not happen, but at least you get a better reason why, good luck

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 8
RE: Undo button - 9/29/2015 5:55:36 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwhitehead

Most war games have no undo button especially if they have any kind of Fog of War rules. An undo button gives you the ability to scout without committing yourself.

Again, you can disable it when you discover something, it is feasible given that WitE has this very useful fuction.

Post #: 9
RE: deleted - 9/29/2015 5:57:15 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

if enough wanted it and it could be done without too much effort, i'd guess you would have it already, but just in case, post it in the suggestion post then it may or may not happen, but at least you get a better reason why, good luck

Thanks but I would be happy to have a stable PBEM game instead this features...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: deleted - 9/30/2015 1:15:11 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

quote:

The trouble is that finding nothing is also important information.

Kennon

Post #: 11
RE: deleted - 9/30/2015 8:24:08 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, in fact the undo works only inside your rear line, not in the just converted enemy hexes.

Post #: 12
RE: deleted - 10/1/2015 1:25:28 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, in fact the undo works only inside your rear line, not in the just converted enemy hexes.

Something being inside your rear line is an extremely difficult thing for a computer to determine. What is obvious to a person who can visually analyze a map is not obvious to a computer program. Most scenarios if they include enough map for maneuver have open flanks. Which creates the question for the computer of where is the line? Which direction constitutes the rear? Does an enemy cavalry scout operating behind your lines eliminate the rear? If you don't think this is hard to determine just watch some of the ridiculous retreat routes the computer comes up with.

Even if the game comes up with a procedure that can determine where a unit can move and learn nothing so that an "Undo" button can be activated, it still imparts information to the player. If you don't think so just take a good look at the "X"'s used to tell you where you can't move in "March" mode. It is typically a good outline of where the enemy you can't see is. An "Undo" button would give you similar information in areas where the "X" line doesn't always show. If you move somewhere and notice the "Undo" button went dim, you know that enemy is near. Your follow up units will probably spread out into a defensive line. If you see the "Undo" button still available you know you are safe and can follow up the move with units taking full advantage of knowing the enemy hasn't trapped you.

Simply put the "Undo" button creates more serious problems than the mistake they fix. Better to live with an occasional wrong move than to provide even more military information to the 70 foot General than it already has.

Kennon

Post #: 13
RE: deleted - 10/1/2015 2:04:51 PM   
zakblood

agreed +1

Post #: 14
RE: deleted - 10/6/2015 5:50:48 PM   
ericbabe

If enough people want an undo button, I'll look to see how feasible that might be to add, but it seems that every time we get a discussion of this we get almost as many people opposed to the idea as we have for the idea.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: deleted - 10/7/2015 1:54:40 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Can you make it an option that can only be selected on the first turn of the game? That is, once the game has started it would no longer be able to change whether it button was enabled or not. Players could then decide in PBEM games whether they wanted it available or not for the game. Better yet when a challenge is issued be able to select whether it is with or without Undo.

The other approach is like weather. Make it scenario selectable but that does result in a lot of extra scenario files.

Kennon

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 16
RE: deleted - 10/8/2015 4:19:09 AM   
Gil R.

Making it a game option would be interesting. (No clue if that's easy to program.) I hereby veto the idea of making it scenario-specific, because that would be nightmarish for me to deal with -- every time, say, I find out that some regiment had Minies and not Springfields and need to change the main OOB file for every scenario I'd have to do it twice as many times. Plus it would make for a lot of clutter in the scenario list. Though on the plus side, we could claim to have twice as many scenarios as we really have, which would be good for p.r.

Post #: 17
RE: deleted - 10/9/2015 4:56:38 AM   
shoelessbivouac

Yes, an UNDO button option would be fine for solitaire gaming - such an option could indeed assist wargamers new to BAB.

OTOH, I see no pragmatic value for its implementation as a new PBEM play option.

I could envision our intrepid BAB programmer spending more time on something actually kind of cool if additionally complicated: adding a true "Multi-player" option, permitting teams on both sides joining in to assume command of individual corps / divisions / brigades.

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: deleted - 10/9/2015 1:06:21 PM   
kennonlightfoot

A big YES to multiplayer. Especially once the game has some bigger scenarios with multiple Corps. System would work nicely for it since all orders are issued before the turn is executed.

Kennon

(in reply to shoelessbivouac)
Post #: 19
RE: deleted - 2/22/2016 8:34:47 PM   
siddious

Yep a undo button would be fine, it would help alott with the learning process and good for exploring new style of play + 1

NOT for MP though, LOL

Post #: 20
RE: deleted - 3/3/2016 9:21:14 AM   
Recognition

quote:

ORIGINAL: siddious

Yep a undo button would be fine, it would help alott with the learning process and good for exploring new style of play + 1

NOT for MP though, LOL

+1
Im always for "undo buttons " but in truth they defeat the object.
Would be a nice option though.

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

(in reply to siddious)
Post #: 21
RE: deleted - 4/29/2016 2:27:11 AM   
dranck

+1 Undo button. I am a chronic mis-clicker.

(in reply to Recognition)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Undo button Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI