Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game keeps freezing at different stages

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> Game keeps freezing at different stages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/18/2015 7:14:33 PM   
Currahee

Hi all,

So bought Steam version of FCRS. Unfortunately it wont let me play. Its a little weird. First, I opened it and is said "error." Then it opened, but no menu popped up. I have to got to "file-main menu" to open it. First time, it locked up once the menu opened. It kept locking up when I clicked 'proceed,' but after every force quit I was able to progress farther, so now I am at the phase where you are given your briefing and I can see the map in the background. It keeps freezing at this point though. My PC specs are: Dell Latitude, 64 bit, Windows 8.1, Intel Core(TM) M-5Y71 @ 1.20 Ghz, 8.00 GB RAM. Did I put too much faith in my POS laptop to run this game? I though it would at least run this (no offense intended). Anything other specs/detail you may need to know just ask.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Its the base edition, not Germany Reforged.

< Message edited by Currahee -- 11/18/2015 8:36:02 PM >

Peace Through Superior Firepower.

When I retire, I will find a quite house in the countryside, buy the latest edition of Command, and play until I die of heart failure.
Post #: 1
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/18/2015 9:05:22 PM   
CapnDarwin

Can you get us a screen shot of the error(s). There are a couple possible solutions depending on what errors are being generated.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 2
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/18/2015 11:13:29 PM   
Currahee

The error went away after the first few launches, and I didn't take a screen of it. Right now I get to the briefing and then it freezes. No messages, no errors, nothing. If I recall the original error when I opened the game, it was an access error or something and had '000000' (maybe a few more zeroes) attributed to it. Also when I try to upload screens of my frozen game, it says 'c:/fakepath' isn't supported...so I can't upload screens even if I wanted (well, right now).
Anyway, I think I have a hunch what is causing my game to freeze...according to my task manager, my CPU is running at %100 when the game initializes, so that's probably why it stops running. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Ok, did some further tests. My game freezing is attributable to any execution in the game...its related to time. If I click 'proceed' on everything real fast, I can make it to the map...but I still freeze. Takes about 15-20 seconds, probably less.
I know this isn't exactly helpful...I don't have any screens or errors or anything I can point to. I'm kind of clueless an why this isn't working. I mean, I can run Combat Mission at really low setting and CMANO as well, so shouldn't this run?

< Message edited by Currahee -- 11/19/2015 12:19:36 AM >

When I retire, I will find a quite house in the countryside, buy the latest edition of Command, and play until I die of heart failure.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 1:15:21 AM   
CapnDarwin

What is your screen resolution set at? The strange question of the day, do you have the computer attached to a HP printer? As for CPU power the game still runs fine on XP machines. We are seeing an issue with the screen resolution causing a crash if it lower than 768 high (font scaling in Win8.1 and 10) and a very weird bug with some small number of machines and HP print drivers. The throws up a need disk in drive "X" message and crashes. Hang in there we'll get you going.

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 4
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 1:43:09 AM   
Currahee

My screen resolution is 1920x1080, and I am not hooked up to a HP printer. I perused earlier on this forums, so I already set my scaling to 100%. I'll try it again though.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 11:13:35 AM   
CapnDarwin

Are you seeing the opening videos? Do you get music after the splash screen? Do you get a splash screen? Your problem is looking more unique than the other ones we are working on, but we will keep at it. You can also make sure your AV and OS are up to date. Wouldn't hurt to check audio and video drivers too just to rule them out.

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 6
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 3:24:03 PM   
Currahee

I don't see any opening videos. I just get a black screen with 'file', 'view,' 'game,' etc at the top. I can get to the menu by going to 'file,' and 'go to main menu,' and I can start a mission that way, but it eventually locks up. I do get music throughout the game. Don't think I get a splash screen, unless its supposed to be black. Updated AV, but I don't have the privileges to update OS. Going to look into audio and video drivers though.

Edit: used photobucket for some screens.
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/Currahee150/media/Screenshot%202_zpsfina39q5.png.html][IMG]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/Currahee150/Screenshot%202_zpsfina39q5.png[/IMG][/URL]
my initial black screen.
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/Currahee150/screen_zps30e56xtq.png
This is as far as I get before it freezes.

< Message edited by Currahee -- 11/19/2015 4:29:26 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 3:36:11 PM   
CapnDarwin

No videos would indicate missing video codexs for AVIs. If you locate the two avi files in the main game folder you can change the extension from AVI to bak. Then start the game. The game will skip the vids and should go straight to the splash screen. Then after a few seconds to the main game menu. Let me know if you get that far.

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 8
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 5:09:20 PM   
Currahee

VICTORY.
I have no idea why, but that fixed it. Changed those to files to .bak (were defaulted to a DVD player program) and now it doesn't freeze up. Haven't really played it yet (busy week at school) but everything appears to work. Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Game keeps freezing at different stages - 11/19/2015 5:38:17 PM   
CapnDarwin

Great news. Windows 8 and 10 both appear to cut back on having AVI capable drivers. Your DVD may have tried to play them and both programs got tangled up and failed. Enjoy the game and if you have any questions let us know.

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> Game keeps freezing at different stages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI