Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Newbie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie questions - 12/21/2015 11:50:45 PM   
Chernobyl

Having difficulty with these issues:

-What is the best way to regain artillery stockpile? Do they need to be near a road or railroad? In my games so far they are consistently low on ammunition even though I give them "breaks" (turns where they don't fire at all).

-How do I effectively lower the action point costs for offensive movement? I am often paying a high action point cost to move past enemy troops. Should I create a 3 hex wide path so that my troops can pass through the middle hex at a cheaper action point cost?

-It seems that promotions is by far the best card for generals. It only costs 8 points and gives a permanent bonus to staff experience. What is the point of using a more expensive card that only gives a 1-turn bonus?

-Is it wise to "rest" air units for a whole turn? They seemed to lose effectiveness after the first few turns.

-How much does overstacking matter? I have a 'feel' for how much it matters but I have no idea about the math behind it.

< Message edited by Liebestod -- 12/22/2015 12:57:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie questions - 12/22/2015 3:21:20 PM   
Urpå

quote:

ORIGINAL: Liebestod

Having difficulty with these issues:

-What is the best way to regain artillery stockpile? Do they need to be near a road or railroad? In my games so far they are consistently low on ammunition even though I give them "breaks" (turns where they don't fire at all).

Staying in proper supply but it will still take 4 or so turns to fully stock up.

quote:

-How do I effectively lower the action point costs for offensive movement? I am often paying a high action point cost to move past enemy troops. Should I create a 3 hex wide path so that my troops can pass through the middle hex at a cheaper action point cost?

Like you said, the 3 hex path to stay away from enemy ZOC is the way to go. You also don't want to incur hex specific AP penalties by having a large and/or long battle in the planned route of advance.

quote:

-It seems that promotions is by far the best card for generals. It only costs 8 points and gives a permanent bonus to staff experience. What is the point of using a more expensive card that only gives a 1-turn bonus?

Answered your own question again. I use it maybe 9 of 10 times. Few examples for other cards (more of less obvious...): crossing a major river where you expect enemy counterattack a Supervise card can be a major boon. Also nice in river crossings, although expensive, the Freedom card. Offensive card is good for a 1st attack on heavily defended places, especially if you lack the necessary air/arty and also if you lack hex sides to attack from. Stavka card is great if you ran your guys very low on readiness but need to continue offensive further next turn.

Still, Personel for the win...

quote:

-Is it wise to "rest" air units for a whole turn? They seemed to lose effectiveness after the first few turns.

Definetly. Readiness is a major factor for any units' effectiveness starting with how many APs they receive. Someone advocated 90+ readiness for air units before using and I've mostly stuck to that number.

quote:

-How much does overstacking matter? I have a 'feel' for how much it matters but I have no idea about the math behind it.

Sorry, no idea on this. The math I mean, but I really don't like to go over the limit more than a few points if at all possible... seems like the casualties go heavy pretty fast.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie questions - 12/23/2015 9:08:11 AM   
Vic

On the overstacking.... its a gradual penalty.

So for example having 300 stack points in a 200 max stack attack results in 200/300 = 33% of the stacking penalty being applied to the forces.
For example having 600 stack points in a 200 max stack attack results in 200/600 = 66% of the stacking penalty being applied to the forces.

Keep in mind the stacking penalty still makes your forces slightly stronger, though at a cost in (much) higher casualties.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Urpå)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie questions - 12/23/2015 3:31:29 PM   
Chernobyl

Thanks for the answers. Good to know going a few points over the stacking limit isn't a big deal.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie questions - 1/24/2016 9:27:26 PM   
DOB0041

Good to know. I also was afraid going in overstack situations at all... next time I will attack Urpo with much stronger forces ;-)

“In War: Resolution,
In Defeat: Defiance,
In Victory: Magnaminity
In Peace: Good Will.”

¯ Winston S. Churchill, The Second World War

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Newbie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI