Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 9/9/2016 8:40:13 AM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

it's looking good

+1

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 181
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 9/9/2016 1:54:38 PM   
Jafele

Great news!

I´ll be waiting for this.

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 182
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/5/2016 8:18:20 PM   
berto

I've been fairly quiet recently. Unlike a year ago and before, few if any new Coder Diaries. Have I been slacking off, taking it easy?

Not at all! I'm working as hard as ever on the Campaign Series. But lots of foundational stuff, not much sexy to show. Yet.

Here's a cool recent new development that I can show. A nice new complement to the on-map Elevations and Coordinates toggles.

You will note also that we have reduced the font size for displaying on-map values (here TEM, but also Elevations and Coordinates). Not so much in-your-face as before.

Oh, and the map graphics shown here are works-in-progress. (Forgive me, Crossroads. ) So much is subject to change.

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 183
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/5/2016 10:48:30 PM   
Jafele

Hmmm. Interesting additions, not spectacular ones but very promising.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 184
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/5/2016 11:24:21 PM   
berto

We're saving debut of the spectacular ones for later.

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 185
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/6/2016 5:23:36 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Oh, and the map graphics shown here are works-in-progress. (Forgive me, Crossroads. ) So much is subject to change.

Those are 1.02 graphics still in that particular screenshot. There's quite a lot to show in that department, too, just not quite yet

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 186
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/6/2016 9:18:39 AM   
Big Ivan

Hey berto,

Sexy enough for me, nice additions especially the reduced font size.

Nothing wrong with foundational work, its what's behind the scene here that matters.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 187
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/7/2016 4:36:41 PM   
berto

Here's another one: On-map display of Combat Efficiency (resupply) probabilities, 100% in the same hex as the selected HQ, then diminishing the farther outward you go. Note that the traditional Command Range highlight shows were this probability is >= 50%.

Some people would consider this one ooh, sexy!

(As always, sneak peek previews show graphic elements etc. still works-in-progress. That is, elements you see here might be mock-ups, experimental, and still subject to change.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by berto -- 10/7/2016 5:10:27 PM >

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 188
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/7/2016 6:48:39 PM   
Jafele

So sexy! I´m getting excited.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 189
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/7/2016 11:51:05 PM   
Rosseau

The numerical supply values in-hex (versus just shading) may be a first in wargaming - although I may stand corrected.

Whatever, great work!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 190
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 10:53:45 AM   
Jafele

Perhaps more intuitive adding colors? Might be a risk to slow down map scrolling while enabled though.

Dark green for combat efficiency 90-100
Light green for 80-89
Yellow for 70-79
Orange for 61-69
Light brown for 51-59
Brown for 50 or less

The same color scale could be used for other values. Just an idea

< Message edited by Jafele -- 10/8/2016 11:04:52 AM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 191
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 11:30:56 AM   
berto

No to the color idea. Not only for the impact on scrolling speed etc., but more importantly the different colors might blend in with the varying terrain and be difficult to effectively impossible to see. White has the best chance of standing out. Except on snowy terrain, of course.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 192
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 11:35:50 AM   
Jafele

Very true when it´s enabled, but you can disable it once you get a general view of the situation. Just like Europa Universalis (trade map, geographic map, religions map, etc.) and Advanced Tactics (supply map).

< Message edited by Jafele -- 10/8/2016 11:59:09 AM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 193
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 3:15:17 PM   
Big Ivan

quote:

Here's another one: On-map display of Combat Efficiency (resupply) probabilities, 100% in the same hex as the selected HQ, then diminishing the farther outward you go. Note that the traditional Command Range highlight shows were this probability is >= 50%.

Some people would consider this one ooh, sexy!

(As always, sneak peek previews show graphic elements etc. still works-in-progress. That is, elements you see here might be mock-ups, experimental, and still subject to change.)

I'm liking this berto, clean but with a wealth of detail. In snow terrain do you think black or blue would be better or just stick with the white?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 194
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 3:21:06 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau
The numerical supply values in-hex (versus just shading) may be a first in wargaming - although I may stand corrected.

IIRC, Panzer Campaigns has had this for some time.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 195
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 4:32:56 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

IIRC, Panzer Campaigns has had this for some time.

Operational Art of War, ditto. Cool feature! Wanted this for longest time, one of my fave micro management things is to ensure everyone's within their HQ Command Range, now so much easier

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 196
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/8/2016 4:58:51 PM   
harry_vdk

quote:

You will note also that we have reduced the font size for displaying on-map values (here TEM, but also Elevations and Coordinates). Not so much in-your-face as before.

Perhaps a idea.

Lower the on-map values except the coordinates. Display the coordinates higher and independent of the other on-map values.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 197
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/9/2016 9:10:06 AM   
Crossroads

Busy weekend at the CS studios! This weekend we got a new Alpha build for all games, including the latest interim goodies implemented so far. Testing them all to ensure No Game Left Behind.

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 198
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/9/2016 10:41:55 AM   
zakblood

quote:

Alpha build
well i'm ready for any work when testing is needed boss

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 199
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/9/2016 11:04:04 AM   
Crossroads

Certainly! It will take a good few months more to finish putting in all the new plumbing so patience is asked. At the moment we can't show much more than folders and selected few improvements. There's a major construction effort on-going though, well worth the wait I hope!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 200
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/18/2016 10:21:35 AM   
Crossroads

We're still quite busy working with the foundations, putting new plumbings in place, add your favorite construction site anecdote here. But it is true. Not much we can show of our efforts, for things are in a flux, they don't look like how we envision the final produce to look, so EMCON continues.

We'd like nothing but talk about what we're doing, showing things, but alas, it has to wait. Why? Consider this:

Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 released approximately one year ago, on 24 September 2015. Yesterday, two years ago, Berto released what was the first version of the new 2D100 view, or the new 2D Zoom-in view as it's named.

What we had was basically a new magnificent game engine feature, but what we could have shown was just some awful 2x magnifications of the existing JTCS Desert and Med 2D50 base files. And we were never happy with the original map art to begin with.

So, in our internal Dev Forum, Berto posted this, and while everyone was excited of this new feature, we agreed there's some serious BMP graphics files work ahead.

Would you agree?

So we dumped what was there (from JTCS), and started anew. And one year from that, CS: Middle East 1.00 saw the daylight.

I am posting this in hope this explains why we can't show much what's going at the moment. Again, if the above was what we started with, here's a snippet of the new 1.03 2D100 view:

(Work in progress, obviously, as some map tiles are still in need of rework, and the new 2D Unit Profiles need work too, for instance some of them need to be better centered)

Again, the first screenshot: two years ago, the lower: now. 1.03 out: Spring 2017. There's some equally great stuff coming out with 1.03. And even more with Vietnam, and East Front III.

But we're not ready to show anything with detail, not quite yet. Patience please

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 201
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 10/18/2016 10:31:27 AM   
Crossroads

So for instance I am trying out a few mock-ups where Tanks and Helos are on larger chits than other units, so their images can be larger then too. Something that quite a few boardgames do, for instance. The 2D Unit Profiles are a mock-up at this stage too.

Stuff may or may not end up like this with 1.03. But that's the idea with doing mock-ups, and showing them in public, right. To see how they'd work out

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 202
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/12/2016 6:18:32 PM   
Crossroads

Just to show we indeed are working with the East Front III game as well, here's some early mock-ups of Polish counters. Just the chits, at this stage.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 203
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/12/2016 7:23:19 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

We're still quite busy working with the foundations, putting new plumbings in place, add your favorite construction site anecdote here. But it is true. Not much we can show of our efforts, for things are in a flux, they don't look like how we envision the final produce to look, so EMCON continues.

We'd like nothing but talk about what we're doing, showing things, but alas, it has to wait. Why? Consider this:

Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 released approximately one year ago, on 24 September 2015. Yesterday, two years ago, Berto released what was the first version of the new 2D100 view, or the new 2D Zoom-in view as it's named.

What we had was basically a new magnificent game engine feature, but what we could have shown was just some awful 2x magnifications of the existing JTCS Desert and Med 2D50 base files. And we were never happy with the original map art to begin with.

So, in our internal Dev Forum, Berto posted this, and while everyone was excited of this new feature, we agreed there's some serious BMP graphics files work ahead.

Would you agree?

So we dumped what was there (from JTCS), and started anew. And one year from that, CS: Middle East 1.00 saw the daylight.

I am posting this in hope this explains why we can't show much what's going at the moment. Again, if the above was what we started with, here's a snippet of the new 1.03 2D100 view:

(Work in progress, obviously, as some map tiles are still in need of rework, and the new 2D Unit Profiles need work too, for instance some of them need to be better centered)

Again, the first screenshot: two years ago, the lower: now. 1.03 out: Spring 2017. There's some equally great stuff coming out with 1.03. And even more with Vietnam, and East Front III.

But we're not ready to show anything with detail, not quite yet. Patience please

i do like those none nato counters, just my type

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 204
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 8:37:29 AM   
76mm

Personally I don't care much for the new 2d style, I prefer either the NATO symbols or the black & white silhouettes. Maybe it is just the early drafts, but the units in the screenie above are very hard to make out.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 205
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 9:21:42 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

Personally I don't care much for the new 2d style, I prefer either the NATO symbols or the black & w third optiowhite silhouettes. Maybe it is just the early drafts, but the units in the screenie above are very hard to make out.

With 1.03, there'll now be three options with counter art: NATO symbols, 2D profiles, and a new third option, something among the lines seen here.

Counters themselves continue to have the plain Std and fancier Alt options.

And a few surprises yet

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 206
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 9:28:30 AM   
Crossroads

That's the same for EF III too, of course

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 207
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 11:58:44 AM   
Warhorse

I'm a NATO symbol guy as well, but gotta admit the new counters really shine, am getting used to them, options, gotta love 'em!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 208
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 12:04:51 PM   
76mm

What are the "chits" for that you show for the Polish units? And what are the two types of chit for? Are they simply variants or are they intended for different sides, etc.? (I've never seen the symbol on the lower set of chits--looks like the Polish Navy!.)

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 209
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 11/13/2016 1:38:03 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

What are the "chits" for that you show for the Polish units? And what are the two types of chit for? Are they simply variants or are they intended for different sides, etc.? (I've never seen the symbol on the lower set of chits--looks like the Polish Navy!.)

The two variants are for the regular Polish Army, and then the Polish Home Army (Armia Krajowa) of the resistance movement. When playing with Standard Counters, one will see a plain, smaller counter for both. Then, for some additional counters, under Options you can select Alternate counters, which are these sets. Each unit has a pointer to a counter cell it is using, so in this instance the regular army platoons will use the upper row, and the Home Army platoons will use the lower ones.

I hope that makes sense.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI