Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/24/2016 1:12:29 PM   
wodin

Till the Trumpets Sound Again Vol1 and then Vol2 by R Nicoll. In depth research of the Scots Guards in WW, seeing it from their eyes. Love it, similar to the amazing Otherside of the Wire Vol1 and Vol 2 by R Whitehead which follows a German corps through WW1. Reading it to review for the blog...like all Helion published books it's superb!

I say again from my experience any book published by Helion is going to be a damn fine read!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2191
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/30/2016 10:41:01 AM   
wodin

One of my all time favourite books and easy my fav book when a young teenager, a toss up with LOTR for my No1 spot is The Borribles. I'm re reading the trilogy now. I bought a copy for my step son when he was younger and my daughter.

J K Rowling..meh...this is the book kids should be reading. I so desperately wanted to run away and become a Borrible when I first read this age 11\12.

Also I can't stress enough it's a book for all ages...not just kids.

if you are on the look out for a present for a girl or boy this Xmas between 12 and 15 buy this book. Or treat yourself.

I really wish more books had been written. I also think it would make an excellent set of movies..though prob best animated and def rated 12 and over. Lots of violence and abit of swearing.

LINK

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/30/2016 10:50:02 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2192
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/2/2016 2:42:14 PM   
bobarossa

David McCullough's The Path Between The Seas about the building of the Panama Canal. This should be made into a mini-series. It's got exploration, intrigue, scandal, disease outbreaks, and some great engineering.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2193
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/2/2016 11:39:04 PM   
warspite1

Finished Lawrence in Arabia

Difficult to know exactly what to make of the book but at worst its a very entertaining read and gives the reader a potted history of why the Middle East looks like it does today (in terms of countries and borders).

The book appears fairly balanced, although the author - while not afraid to outline some of Lawrence's peculiarities - does perhaps give him too much credit in certain areas. On occasions its as if only Lawrence knew what was happening and was right and everyone else was a buffoon.

Not really sure what to make of Lawrence either - other than he was a strange chappie in more ways than one.

I definitely enjoyed reading the book but do not have the urge to read more on TE Lawrence having done so. I do however want to read up on the Treaty of Versailles and have ordered a book on just that subject.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 2194
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 10:38:19 AM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Difficult to know exactly what to make of the book but at worst its a very entertaining read and gives the reader a potted history of why the Middle East looks like it does today (in terms of countries and borders).

The book appears fairly balanced, although the author - while not afraid to outline some of Lawrence's peculiarities - does perhaps give him too much credit in certain areas. On occasions its as if only Lawrence knew what was happening and was right and everyone else was a buffoon.

Not really sure what to make of Lawrence either - other than he was a strange chappie in more ways than one.

I definitely enjoyed reading the book but do not have the urge to read more on TE Lawrence having done so. I do however want to read up on the Treaty of Versailles and have ordered a book on just that subject.

Robert, could you post a link for the book? Thanks.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2195
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 10:39:47 AM   
wodin

Never could get through Seven Pillars of Wisdom by Lawrence...

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2196
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 10:42:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

warspite1

There you go!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/1782392025/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480765332&sr=1-1&keywords=lawrence+in+arabia

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2197
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 10:45:36 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Never could get through Seven Pillars of Wisdom by Lawrence...
warspite1

Anderson repeats the oft made point that Seven Pillars is "more often praised than read" and having read some of Lawrence's writings from his letters and indeed passages from the book, I can understand why that it!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2198
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 11:20:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

There you go!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/1782392025/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480765332&sr=1-1&keywords=lawrence+in+arabia

warspite1

Sorry Patrick I just realised you may have meant the Versailles book. If so here the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719562376/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0521628881&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5PAG9AVPJ8PJS9SW4J3H

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2199
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/3/2016 11:21:48 AM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

There you go!

warspite1

Sorry Patrick I just realised you may have meant the Versailles book. If so here the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719562376/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0521628881&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5PAG9AVPJ8PJS9SW4J3H

Actually both are great...thanks Robert!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2200
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/7/2016 4:21:17 PM   
warspite1

Three chapters in and I have to say that Margaret Macmillan's book is thoroughly engrossing. She writes in an easy to read style too.

Still scene setting at the moment - let's hope the section on the actual negotiations is as good.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2201
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/7/2016 4:30:44 PM   
Chickenboy

Just finished the audiobook "What it is Like to go to War" by Karl Marlantes.

A deep and thought-provoking introspective on how warfare and the experiences of combat changed him. He spends a good deal of time discussing how we could do a better job for our future warriors of preparing them for the anguish that they will likely face when they kill. Riveting first person descriptions of his moral and ethical journey from his time in Vietnam.

Strongly recommended. Particularly strong recommendation to any young warriors joining the armed forces.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2202
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/8/2016 2:40:32 PM   
m10bob

Currently reading Gary Grigsby's WAR IN THE WEST......Very well organized and thought out!
It is illustrated throughout.

(Comes with the CD version of the game of the same name.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2203
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2016 7:12:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Three chapters in and I have to say that Margaret Macmillan's book is thoroughly engrossing. She writes in an easy to read style too.

Still scene setting at the moment - let's hope the section on the actual negotiations is as good.

warspite1

Yep. This book gets better as it goes along

Thoroughly recommend this to anyone interested in the whole WWI/WWII period.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2204
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/15/2016 3:38:54 PM   
Joe D.

"The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2205
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/15/2016 3:53:15 PM   
RodyMetal

Any recommendation for an audiobook about ww2 eastern front (historical)? I listen to one called Deathride by Josh Mosier but didnt like it much.

Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 2206
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/21/2016 5:31:35 AM   
Crossroads

"Tanks in the Winter War", by Maksim Koloyev just arrived in time for some Xmas weekend reading pleasure:

(in reply to RodyMetal)
Post #: 2207
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2016 2:12:05 PM   
warspite1

Fighters over the Fleet (Friedman) turned up today. Nice

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 2208
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2016 5:03:40 PM   
Hotschi

My copy arrived 9 days ago...

Yes, a very nice and informative book - Norman Friedman as usual. On the positive side, there's heaps of information about "designs-which-never-were" - on the negative side, there's absolutely nothing to read about the AD Skyraider... except the AEW Version . As if this plane never existed, after all, over 3,000 have been built of all versions.

Strange...

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2209
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2016 6:15:22 PM   
Zorch

Pax Romana by Adrian Goldsworthy.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2210
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2016 8:32:38 PM   
Aurelian

After Tamerlane: The Rise and Fall of Global Empires, 1400-2000.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2211
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/8/2017 3:07:03 PM   
Zorch

Found this thread on Page 3!

WWII Plans That Never Happened: 1939-45.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2212
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/9/2017 4:21:47 PM   
warspite1

Finished Margaret MacMillan's Peacemakers.

Having finished it I just want to go back and read it all over again. A wonderful, interesting, well written, thought-provoking book. As all good books should, this tome makes me want to read more on the subject (if anyone knows another good work on the Treaty of Versailles please let me know).

The conclusion chapter could have been a little longer, but that is my only real gripe.

Anyone interested in World War I and II should read this. It is pleasing to see three of the most oft repeated and tired, lazy comments and accusations about the Treaty thoroughly demolished - specifically:

a) the ridiculously simplistic idea that Versailles caused World War II
b) the sweeping statement that the British and particularly the French were the cause of the problems and that if only they had listended to the Americans all would have been right.
c) Versailles created Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and Poland.

MacMillan spares no one, French, British, American, Italian, or anyone else. She makes clear that each power had their own needs and requirements, fears and hopes, and that within each power, there was rarely a unified voice - not to mention the court of public opinion which those who dealt with the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars never had to face in the same way - particularly difficult if you are from a democracy....

Not least is the fact that at the end of the day we are talking about human beings, with their individual strengths and weaknesses, and personal prejudices that could affect, to a surprising degree, whether they supported a view point or worked against it.

Superb stuff

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/9/2017 6:28:11 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2213
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/9/2017 11:15:22 PM   
wings7

quote:

Finished Margaret MacMillan's Peacemakers.

Having finished it I just want to go back and read it all over again. A wonderful, interesting, well written, thought-provoking book. As all good books should, this tome makes me want to read more on the subject (if anyone knows another good work on the Treaty of Versailles please let me know).

The conclusion chapter could have been a little longer, but that is my only real gripe.

Anyone interested in World War I and II should read this. It is pleasing to see three of the most oft repeated and tired, lazy comments and accusations about the Treaty thoroughly demolished - specifically:

a) the ridiculously simplistic idea that Versailles caused World War II
b) the sweeping statement that the British and particularly the French were the cause of the problems and that if only they had listended to the Americans all would have been right.
c) Versailles created Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and Poland.

MacMillan spares no one, French, British, American, Italian, or anyone else. She makes clear that each power had their own needs and requirements, fears and hopes, and that within each power, there was rarely a unified voice - not to mention the court of public opinion which those who dealt with the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars never had to face in the same way - particularly difficult if you are from a democracy....

Not least is the fact that at the end of the day we are talking about human beings, with their individual strengths and weaknesses, and personal prejudices that could affect, to a surprising degree, whether they supported a view point or worked against it.

Superb stuff

Sounds like a winner Robert!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2214
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/9/2017 11:27:19 PM   
Rosseau

The ESV version of the Bible. Currents on Numbers, so it will take a while.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2215
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2017 12:44:07 AM   
Chickenboy

Just started two:

"Fletcher Class Destroyers" by Alan Raven and "A Distant Challenge" by Infantry Magazine.

The latter is a successor to "Infantry in Vietnam" and is a sort of a field manual review of lessons learned by the American infantryman in the Vietnam war. These sort of 'focus on the military activity only' books are the only ones I can read about Vietnam-so much of the popular press interdigitates the political front at home and detract from the military experience that I wish to read more about.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 2216
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2017 5:47:59 AM   
warspite1

Okay so the brilliant Peacemakers finished, I now move on to James Holland's The War in the West. This is the first of three books and covers 1939-1941.

Bad start... he's spent 2 pages on baseball and some guy who had nothing to do with the war.... Er, okay...

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/10/2017 5:48:14 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2217
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2017 10:21:23 AM   
wings7

quote:

Okay so the brilliant Peacemakers finished, I now move on to James Holland's The War in the West. This is the first of three books and covers 1939-1941.

Bad start... he's spent 2 pages on baseball and some guy who had nothing to do with the war.... Er, okay...

Bad? Not from an American perspective, Baseball was (and still is with some) called "America's Pastime".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2218
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2017 2:09:33 PM   
Chickenboy

Geez....some 1500+ pages over three volumes and someone's got their knickers in a twist about 2 pages of literary alliteration? Sounds like someone is impatient and wants to hurry up and get to the "pew pew pew" part of the book. Patience, lad! There'll be time enough for the bangety-bangety pew pew pew later. Why doncha relax and enjoy the ride?

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2219
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2017 3:44:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Geez....some 1500+ pages over three volumes and someone's got their knickers in a twist about 2 pages of literary alliteration? Sounds like someone is impatient and wants to hurry up and get to the "pew pew pew" part of the book. Patience, lad! There'll be time enough for the bangety-bangety pew pew pew later. Why doncha relax and enjoy the ride?
warspite1

Because its b******!

As he's telling this tale I thought maybe the guy went on to fight in the US Army or his team-mates were all at Pearl or the team owner personally paid for a squadron of B-17's....

No, it was none of the above, and the whole two pages were totally pointless. It rather reminded me of this wonderful saying:

Going to war without France* is like going deer hunting without your euphonium

Well:

Writing a book about the Western Front in WWII without mentioning some baseball dood who had nothing to do with the war is....

*nothing personal my French friends

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI