Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 11:57:47 AM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I only know the answer to the first question: "V" is for Victory.

As for the other two, I haven't a clue.

As a freshman at the University of Georgia in 1979, I went on a date with a Georgia Tech coed in Atlanta. She mentioned that she'd recently attended the World Series in Cleveland. I was skeptical and said, "I don't think Cleveland has been in the World Series since the '40s." She gave me a withering look and said, "I meant the World Series of Rock and Roll."

Whatever that is.

From Google - "The World Series of Rock was a recurring, day-long multi-act summer rock concert held at Cleveland Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio from 1974 through 1980."

I grew up in Ohio, but was living in Chicago during this period. I vaguely remember it though.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 61
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 12:07:19 PM   
Encircled

"Get wrecked" is my eight and nine years old current favourite.

And no, I have no idea what it means either

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 62
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:32:24 PM   
zuluhour

On the title thing, good choice, I for one would have been .....tempted.
On the tribute thing, I really like 40s style and music. I see it as a pioneering era in both. In so far as
the women are concerned, very well conceived idea, their part in the war was special. I would like to see an
AAR written from the correspondent's point of view. Information from the news papers of the time are rich to say the least.
While helping my daughter with her first high school research paper on the great Baltimore fire, I became
very distracted at the Enoch Pratt Library reading news from the 40s.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 3/16/2017 1:48:06 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 63
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:40:18 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

As a freshman at the University of Georgia in 1979, I went on a date with a Georgia Tech coed in Atlanta. She mentioned that she'd recently attended the World Series in Cleveland. I was skeptical and said, "I don't think Cleveland has been in the World Series since the '40s." She gave me a withering look and said, "I meant the World Series of Rock and Roll."

Whatever that is.

From Google - "The World Series of Rock was a recurring, day-long multi-act summer rock concert held at Cleveland Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio from 1974 through 1980."

I grew up in Ohio, but was living in Chicago during this period. I vaguely remember it though.

Have lived in Ohio my entire life and have never heard of this. I even lived most of my life about an hour from Cleveland.

Post #: 64
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:41:46 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

That's because you are spelling it wrong According to my 10-year old you spell it REKT. I have a small inkling or what it means, but the meaning seems to change every time I think I know it.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 65
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:47:25 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

That's because you are spelling it wrong According to my 10-year old you spell it REKT. I have a small inkling or what it means, but the meaning seems to change every time I think I know it.

To get wrecked... To get pwned... To get owned.

In short, to get wrecked is to lose very badly. Decisively.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 66
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:48:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Whatever that is.

An oh-fer!

V is for very. As in "v busy." It's not...elegant.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 67
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 1:49:31 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

To get wrecked... To get pwned... To get owned.

In short, to get wrecked is to lose very badly. Decisively.

quote:

To get wrecked... To get pwned... To get owned. In short, to get wrecked is to lose very badly. Decisively.

I resemble that remark

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 68
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 2:25:23 PM   
Encircled

quote:

My communication channels with my kids have now been reopened

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 69
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 2:26:31 PM   
Encircled

Mind you, whenever they ask me something and I want to confuse them, I just say

"That a negative on that trajectory Ben (or Sammy)"

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 70
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 2:43:40 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Mind you, whenever they ask me something and I want to confuse them, I just say

"That a negative on that trajectory Ben (or Sammy)"

That only works until you educate them on the classic movies from the 80's... Something I'm slowly doing with my son as he gets older. Current target is Indiana Jones movies.. then probably Young Guns. Spaceballs, Princess Bride, Star Wars and Monty Python's Holy Grail already indoctrinated.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 71
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 2:58:37 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

Whatever that is.

Have lived in Ohio my entire life and have never heard of this. I even lived most of my life about an hour from Cleveland.

Interesting. In August 1977 I went to the "Super Bowl of Rock" show at Soldier Field in Chicago. UFO, Rick Derringer, Bob Seger, and the headliner was Peter Frampton.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 72
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 3:02:28 PM   
Encircled

quote:

That only works until you educate them on the classic movies from the 80's... Something I'm slowly doing with my son as he gets older. Current target is Indiana Jones movies.. then probably Young Guns. Spaceballs, Princess Bride, Star Wars and Monty Python's Holy Grail already indoctrinated.

Well, I started them on Star Wars which is a start.

They didn't like Big or Airplane. I'm very tempted to disown them for that, but I'll cut them some slack!

Post #: 73
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 3:18:27 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

They didn't like Big or Airplane. I'm very tempted to disown them for that, but I'll cut them some slack!

To be fair, Big is very bland. I find it...annoying.

Airplane!, on the other hand... a truly seminal moment in film comedy.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 74
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 4:02:14 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

quote:

Especially the autopilot...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 75
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 4:07:53 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

quote:

I knew somebody would go there.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 76
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 4:17:06 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I knew somebody would go there.

I'm convinced that my pilots are traumatised from flying over Macho Grande...

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 77
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 5:01:21 PM   
witpqs

Over Macho Grande?

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 78
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 5:13:14 PM   
ny59giants

Any Mel Brooks movie needs to be added to list.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 79
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 5:30:55 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Any Mel Brooks movie needs to be added to list.

Spaceballs is Mel.. Airplane is a bit to adult for my son. Not sure he would get 3/4 of the jokes. Maybe when he's a bit older he may get more of them. or maybe I'm just hoping he's more innocent than he really is.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 80
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 6:31:17 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Note to self: use the Oxford comma.

You and this shipping company..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lack-of-oxford-comma-costs-maine-company-millions-in-overtime-dispute/ar-BBycPZW?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 81
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 6:44:39 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lack-of-oxford-comma-costs-maine-company-millions-in-overtime-dispute/ar-BBycPZW?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Oxford commas are a non-necessary evil. Like the story says, if there's ambiguity rewrite the sentence.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 82
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 7:46:55 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

Oxford commas are a non-necessary evil. Like the story says, if there's ambiguity rewrite the sentence.

Yeah, but they are the same braniacs who started the article with this sentence.
quote:

A class-action lawsuit about overtime pay for truck drivers hinged entirely on a debate that has bitterly divided friends, families and foes: The dreaded — or totally necessary — Oxford comma, perhaps the most polarizing of punctuation marks.

So do they mean to say it divided friends against families and foes? Good to know families and foes are united against friends.

The re-write is easily accomplished by adding the single comma they despise.

I do agree the comma is unnecessary; make the meaning clear by some other means as you wish. But it is efficient if not pretty. Of course the example they used shows that clarity is also unnecessary. Just substitute a lawsuit!

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 83
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 8:23:42 PM   
Sardaukar

I think we have completely hijacked this AAR...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 84
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 8:40:34 PM   
ny59giants

Blazing Saddles - one of the best western movies of all time!!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 85
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 9:50:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

Love it!

Airplane and Blazing Saddles are two of my all-time favs.

Here's another piece of the new slang survey. Apparently the previous three were too easy for Loka. We may be the same generation, but ... "on fleek?"

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 86
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 10:21:22 PM   
obvert

Opening Moves

So I've had the first turn for a few days and I've been re-discovering the Allied side. I haven't played this scenario before, and although its based on Scen 1, the DBB version is definitely different. I love how many little ships of all types there are.

My thinking has revealed around three basic ideas to start off.

1. SRA:

While I want to slow the Japanese progress here, I also want to avoid losing half the RN cruisers here. Last time around I was a bit cavalier. I thin there will be opportunities if I'm patient, so I'll try not to jump on the first shot I have. I' not going to do anything too unorthodox, and no festungs. I do want to take some time also to watch Lowpe's air patterns. Having not played him before it'll take a while to start seeing what he likes (and doesn't like) to do.

2. CHINA:

This theatre is a pain for most Allied players, but I still believe that even with good IJ play, the Chinese can be a pain in the rear. If he's done his research he'll know I will run to x3 ground and get stuck in. I've decided this time around to sacrifice more of the smaller Corps to block rails and generally create some chaos while also preparing to die and leave more supply for the bigger units to use. I'll not do much with the Chinese AF soon, but the AVG should make and appearance or two here.

I will supply China through the air via Ledo ASAP. I'll move all free transports here to start.

3. Post SRA; invasion Bonus:

Where will he go after the SRA is secured? This is the burning question for me. He's seen the results of a passive, inept opening and an aggressive, organised game in his last. I would doubt he'd give the West Coast another shot, but who knows? Maybe he's got it solved now?

Odds;

20-1 - Soviets

(I can't imagine he'll go for the ultimate goal here, but you never know. A solid China defence will make it harder, so my goals there are to hold firm).

10-1 - West Coast Full

(It would take some real guts to do it again so soon. I've got the message at least, and forts have started everywhere. Just saw that Salt Lake is worth something like 25k VPs!! That will get a regiment if he does come).

8-1 - India Full

(Crossing the LOD here and going for Karachi would be epic. May other Allied game faced an India invasion, so I know how tense it could be. I don't think he'll risk it knowing that my guard will be up, and I have new ideas of how to slow this down).

7-1 - West Coast Partial

(He could come to harvest VPs but avoid triggering reinforcements. I still doubt this will be part of the plan).

6-1 - Australia Full

(Crossing the LOD here and harvesting lots of industry and resources could be a productive 42 for the IJ. There isn't much to slow them down, but reinforcements are good, and it's almost impossible to completely blockade OZ).

5-1 - Historic Perimeter plus

(This is more likely, with an addition of West OZ and further Pacific conquests plus some more of the Aleutians. This would not be an AV threat, but could conserve the fuel and supply his economy needs to be effective late).

4-1 - India Partial

(Just taking Calcutta, Madras and the mountains could help his economy and kill a lot of Allied troops, also reducing the Commonwealth pools. A good option, and he does have experience there in his last game).

3-1 - Australia Partial

(This is a concern and one of the best openings for Japan as I see it. Take the West, the NE, and bomb the crap out of the resource centres, industry and any shipping found in the ports. Very low risk. Good payout. Not to expensive).

Will he go for AV? I doubt it. Lowpe seems too concerned with the healthy running of the economy and he has PDU-ON plus Symon's air fixes to the Jack, George and Ki-100. So if the Allies don't do something in late 42 into early 43, it could get painful in the air.

< Message edited by obvert -- 9/24/2017 7:55:17 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 87
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/17/2017 4:17:07 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

Or just use your commas correctly. Concision and clarity are key. Rewriting a sentence to eliminate the question of whether you have to use an Oxford comma typically means more words being used, which goes against the concision principle.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 88
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/17/2017 4:19:15 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Love it!

Airplane and Blazing Saddles are two of my all-time favs.

Here's another piece of the new slang survey. Apparently the previous three were too easy for Loka. We may be the same generation, but ... "on fleek?"

OK, they got me sort of on the last one, but I can guess from context clues. Guessing: B/A/B

I don't know why stanning would mean you're a superfan. I at least know the origins of all of the others so far. That's my guess, though.

For the record, I think "on fleek" is awful and I don't think people who were themselves on fleek actually used it. It was/is a wannabe fad, in other words. Because you sound stupid when you say it.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 3/17/2017 4:20:09 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 89
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/17/2017 8:25:11 AM   
Drakanel

What has happened to this thread? o.o

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI