Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/5/2017 6:31:48 PM   
UnderThunder

Yes adding a general indication of armor value would be great!

Also, another suggestion, in the tactical map page (the one that shows the entire map) , add an option to view the content of the regiments. For example, when we right click on the regiment's icon, to be able to select 'VIEW DETAILS' for example, and that is just to see all the units in that selected regiment. In 'Gateway of Caen' ,we could only know what are the units after the move is done (in the unit selection page).

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 151
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/7/2017 8:21:19 PM   
CGGrognard

Thank you Steve for the screen shots. Just those two screen shots, and some of the questions you have answered indicate you and your team are making the effort in making this the best CC of the series. Thanks again.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to UnderThunder)
Post #: 152
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/8/2017 1:33:18 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

More screenshots would be welcome. Specially showing hills and changes in the terrain.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 153
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/9/2017 5:38:22 PM   
nikdav

Thanks for the hard work to revive this series of masterpieces.
I see the screenshots and can't express my emotion. Thanks again !

(in reply to Nomada_Firefox)
Post #: 154
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/12/2017 2:06:16 PM   
UnderThunder

AI problems when attacking that needs to addressed in future close combat games.
I have played many battles in 'Gateway to Caen' , and I have concluded the following about the AI:

1- When the AI is defending, it does a good job and give you a challenge sometimes depending on how weak/strong the battle groups are.

2- When the AI have just 1 victory point, they attack massively, and can take 1/2 or 3/4 of the victory points in the map especially if your battle groups are weak and cannot do anything against their tanks.

3- UNFORTUNATELY, the next round during the map that they have conquered most of it (3/4 of the victory location for example) , they just sit in the back in the victory location where they were during the previous round! And what is worse, is that they do not attempt to attack , but instead, they go to the defensive while their MAIN MISSION was to attack and gain ground in the first place.

What happens then when the AI in the next round puts his infantry and tanks back without defending the captured victory points of the previous round, is that you can capture back most of the victory points captured by the AI in the previous round, without putting any fight! ...and that is just because the AI does not want to put his infantry and tanks in the captured victory points, but instead it chooses to stay in the back, on the defensive and not moving at all.

Number 3 is a big problem that needs to be fixed. Please just fix the AI issues so that (In future Close combat games) ,when it captures victory points, the next round it makes sure to place its forces on those captured victory points, and keep on attacking.

Also, we would appreciate it if you release a patch fixing this AI issue in 'Gateway to Caen', so that we can have fun while playing as defenders

Thank you

< Message edited by UnderThunder -- 4/12/2017 2:10:28 PM >

(in reply to nikdav)
Post #: 155
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/12/2017 9:20:41 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

When BF is a complete new game, I do not understand because you are speaking about the problems from GTC. It has not sense.

All we know how bad was the AI at previous versions, just it was a bit fun when it defended. But attacking or other thing, it was bad, very bad.

About a patch, I would not wait miracles, they knew these problems years ago and they made the best that they could make for a more of 20 years old engine. They have spoken many times about how the old engine had problems and it did not let a better work. Just it is impossible.

Post #: 156
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/12/2017 9:44:51 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

It is best to let the new game speak for itself I would say.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

Post #: 157
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/12/2017 10:21:47 PM   
UnderThunder

Well, I am just trying to tell my opinion based on my experience to help improve ' The Bloody First'...
The problem is just that many times,the AI does not defend the conquered victory locations it has taken from the previous round, but instead it puts all the infantry and tanks in the rear, letting you very easily retake the victory locations that you lost in the previous round.

< Message edited by UnderThunder -- 4/12/2017 10:22:30 PM >

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 158
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 2:24:54 AM   
mickxe5

A big part of the AI's problem was that it got stuck with the inept default deployment while the player was allowed to redeploy. Skip the Deploy phase and play with the default deployment for a more balanced battle.

Post #: 159
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 4:13:04 AM   
UnderThunder

The deployment phase of the AI is pretty bad. It should be smarter and deploy to defend its front lines, rather to deploy all of its troops in the back. And I guess if that deployment issue is fixed, 75% of the AI problems are gone. I know we cannot have a perfect AI, and the AI is never going to be perfect, but making the AI to deploy in its front lines rather than in the back should be an easy task :)

(in reply to mickxe5)
Post #: 160
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 7:44:16 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

quote:

but making the AI to deploy in its front lines rather than in the back should be an easy task :)

You think this because you see the old engine as a normal game but it is not a normal game. With millions of games in the world, people usually think how everything can be made at all plattforms with only write a new code.

Anyways, if I was Steve, I would see your words as something bad or a insult because you are thinking how after more of 10 years, these things could be fixed.

But I am more realistic, if these things were not improved, this is because it can not be made better. Ever in the old engine.;)

Post #: 161
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 5:14:34 PM   
UnderThunder

Steve himself told us that the AI is getting an overhaul. I just said that the deployment of the AI is bad and that is what mostly causes the AI to delay the attack. And for people who wonder why the AI cannot attack successfully, the bad deployment is the major cause. Whether this could be fixed or not, is up to the developers.

I have seen many people complaining about this AI issue on Steam, so definitely fixing this AI issue will help get more sales. I am just telling what I have concluded based on my many hours of game play, and in order to help make the next game better.

Post #: 162
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 9:16:23 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

quote:

Steve himself told us that the AI is getting an overhaul.

He was speaking from Close Combat Bloody First, the new game, not GTC. The unique relation between BF and GTC is the system of gameplay, nothing more, everything is new.;)

Post #: 163
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/13/2017 9:24:19 PM   
UnderThunder

I didn't say that the AI improvements were for GTG, we were talking about the new game... So clearly, you did not understand what I was trying to tell. All i want is a new AI improvement for the next game. But I did also ask for a patch for GTC if possible

And glad to hear that everything is new

< Message edited by UnderThunder -- 4/13/2017 9:26:16 PM >

Post #: 164
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/14/2017 8:00:12 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

Sorry but you wrote this......
quote:

AI problems when attacking that needs to addressed in future close combat games.
I have played many battles in 'Gateway to Caen' , and I have concluded the following about the AI:

quote:

Also, we would appreciate it if you release a patch fixing this AI issue in 'Gateway to Caen', so that we can have fun while playing as defenders

Clearly you were not speaking about BF and you were comparing BF with the older games as if they were the same. Asking a patch for a older game in non-GTC thread.

I understand you very well. But I have told you things told before by the developers about how they can not make a better work with the previous games. It is not possible. They can not get more from them. They are a 20 years old game. 20 years at computers is as if it was a prehistoric engine.

About the new game, clearly it will add a new AI, starting from scratch. I am sure how it will be a lot better. Just by the difference of technology. Perfect? probably no but a lot more perfect than the older games. I say how it will not be perfect because there is not perfection in games, ever and each player will have different opinions.

Post #: 165
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/14/2017 10:50:17 AM   
UnderThunder

Ok great then, that is what we all want :) I thought the same engine will be implemented in BF, but if everything is new that's good news

Post #: 166
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/15/2017 12:02:03 AM   
Saturnian

Wow, I like what I see! I was worried but I see you do have a talented team.

I hope that you take your time on the soldier animations. Perhaps making some versatility in the appearance of individual soldiers. If not height differences then differences in uniforms. Dirt, grime, blood. Give each soldier a personal touch that stays with them. Because part of the fun of the game is the attachment you get to your soldiers. It is what makes Close Combat a good game.

But most importantly of all: the movements. For example climbing over hills and walls. In 2d they just crawled really slowly when ascending sharp angles. I'd like to see minute attention to detail for soldier movements.

It is [current year] and there is no excuse not have attention to detail for the soldiers we are commanding. If we keep track of their kills and their acts of cowardice, then please then pay closer attention to the details in their movements. Such as when they are reloading, unarmed, fighting with knife. If they drop their gun or have a pistol, please don't make them running with a rifle(this has been a problem since I think CC2). If they shoot a pistol, please make sure they shoot with a pistol(also since CC2 if not 1). If they are using an anti-tank gun, please don't make them holding a rifle or mortar. pretty please with sugar on top.

< Message edited by Saturnian -- 4/15/2017 12:05:09 AM >

Post #: 167
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/22/2017 9:14:48 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

Any news? we have not seen nothing of you for one month.

(in reply to mickxe5)
Post #: 168
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/25/2017 2:41:11 PM   
SteveMcClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox

Any news? we have not seen nothing of you for one month.

Was that for me Nomada Firefox? We're working on the game. No new major announcements yet. Did I miss a question of yours?

Steve

Post #: 169
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/26/2017 5:49:04 AM   
WimDK

Yeah, Nomada, what is wrong with you?
Everything is going as planned!

You have to excuse him, Steve, he is still thinking the game will come out in....2014!?

Cobalth-77

Post #: 170
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/26/2017 8:29:40 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

quote:

Was that for me Nomada Firefox? We're working on the game. No new major announcements yet. Did I miss a question of yours?

No. But you can publish more screenshots or other things.;)

WimDK=1 post in all the forum=new guy and he enters here=troll with duplicated account.

< Message edited by Nomada_Firefox -- 4/26/2017 8:31:38 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/30/2017 5:38:25 AM   
DoomGT

why dont you use Unreal Engine4 ,its free and easy to use,I cant wait to play the game !!!

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 172
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/30/2017 8:30:17 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoomGT

why dont you use Unreal Engine4 ,its free and easy to use,I cant wait to play the game !!!

Sorry but it is not free. It is free for free proyects. But the moment where you try to sell the game, you will pay.

(in reply to DoomGT)
Post #: 173
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/30/2017 1:51:48 PM   
Jugger

Hopefully we will hear some solid news from the "Home of the Wargamers" event for Matrix/Slitherine being held in Italy between May 9th - 11th.

Post #: 174
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/30/2017 2:04:29 PM   
zakblood

quote:

It will be held from May 9th to May 11th at Castello di Pavone, a beautiful medieval castle located in Northern Italy.

was last year, 2016

quote:

Every year wargamers from all over the United Kingdom gather in London for a huge event: Salute!
There will be many games, stands, painting competitions, and many companies presenting their products. Sounds like the quintessential wargaming event. We couldn't miss it, could we?

We have the pleasure to announce we'll be at Salute 2017!

When you pass in front of the Slitherine stand, come say hello and chat with us! And don't miss on our special offer for the day: we'll have boxed editions of games for sale at the same price of their respective digital editions!

was this year, another meeting hasn't been announced as yet anywhere, unless i've missed it

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/30/2017 2:06:46 PM >

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 175
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 4/30/2017 11:06:36 PM   
uberzoned

Thank you for the pix... much appreciated!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 176
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 5/1/2017 11:36:40 AM   
Jugger

Yep my bad still living in the past as usual

(in reply to uberzoned)
Post #: 177
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 5/1/2017 12:39:04 PM   
sepp3gd

Close Combat is a great game because of the metrics that the developers have input into the game which make the experience real with respect to combat stress injury, histrocial accuracy, ballistics, and armor effect. It matters none about the graphics in as far as I still am playing A Brige Too Far and Cross of Iron in 2017.

What I enjoy so much about this game, as opposed to a FPS shooter like Battlefield 1 or visually-intense RTS like Total War, is how Close Combat shows the events as they unfold in a factual maner, and communicates them in a spartan fashion. Only the most important aspects worth reacting to are noted and my mind creates "memories" to fill in the gaps and makes sense of the events.

I am fascinated by the historical accuracy that this game employs. That being said - I am not in favor of adding an armor rating to the vehicles, tanks, and armored fighting vehicles. The game employs metrics as mentioned by the administrator that would be too complicated to convey. And because a noncom would not need to understand the laws of physics and geometry to know how to position a machinegun, nor would a driver of a Panther need be a mechanical engineer, it is then what matters most possessing a fundamental, pragmatic, and practical knowledge.

Rather than an armor rating in the game, an e-book covering the History of WWII relating specically to Close Combat would be more within the scope of this series worth. Since such historical accuracy has been covered in the game with respect to the capabilities of each fighting element, timeline, and the location of battles, an e-book would stand out as not as merely a companion to the series, but also an true WWII Historical Publication.

It could be in the book that the specific details of everything can be learned.

Regarding the 360 degree view vs the current LOS "radar sweeping" as you named it - I am not in favor of a 360 degree viewshed during unit deployment as this seems unrealistic. To know when and where the LOS begins and ends at 50m, 100m, and so forth with respect to depressions in the terrain, environmental obstacles, and structures, is not realistic in this capacity. In the reality, one would indeed have to focus on a specific feature with fieldglasses and make a guess as to where the field of fire is limited. With that, the LOS "radar sweeping" represents this exercise in a more realistic manner.

I understand that it would be nice to just drop a 75mm AT Gun on the map and instantly know every potential target it could possibly reach within that field of fire, but this is just fake and takes away from the game.

ALL THIS BEING SAID -

I have no clue how any of these opinions apply to the new game in 3D so all my opinions are drawn from the past and not very relevant.

The new screen shots - I am not impressed. I am a fan of A Bridge Too Far, Russian Front, and Gateway to Caen.

BUT

When I first played CC1 it was by chance at a friends house on his PC with a 1 level Demo he downloaded. Had I just seen the screen shots of that game, I would have not been impressed. That year I was heavy into Golden Eye on the Nintendo 64 and Warcraft II for PC. So I am hoping that when I play this game, I fall in love with a new game. Because for me, this is a new game altogether. The only comforting factor is that it is in the Close Combat family and promises the realism which this series brings (Besides Panthers in the Fog).

(in reply to uberzoned)
Post #: 178
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 5/1/2017 10:46:47 PM   
mickxe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: sepp3gd
Regarding the 360 degree view vs the current LOS "radar sweeping" as you named it - I am not in favor of a 360 degree viewshed during unit deployment as this seems unrealistic. To know when and where the LOS begins and ends at 50m, 100m, and so forth with respect to depressions in the terrain, environmental obstacles, and structures, is not realistic in this capacity. In the reality, one would indeed have to focus on a specific feature with fieldglasses and make a guess as to where the field of fire is limited. With that, the LOS "radar sweeping" represents this exercise in a more realistic manner.

I understand that it would be nice to just drop a 75mm AT Gun on the map and instantly know every potential target it could possibly reach within that field of fire, but this is just fake and takes away from the game.
In my experience as an M163 gunner, a crew/team knows where the blind zones are from any position it occupies in much less time than it takes to do a classic CC LOS 'radar sweep', no field glasses required. A 360 viewshed tool makes LOS determination far more realistic when the observer is at ground level as opposed to having a top down/oblique perspective.

Elevation contour is a prime example. At ground level a person's grasp of the effect that even minor elevation variance has on LOS is almost intuitive. From a top down perspective elevation changes immediately below are difficult to even detect unless they're fairly severe, and nigh impossible to determine their effect on LOS. In this respect a viewshed tool serves a function similar to the assumed light source of a shaded relief map in illuminating elevation effects. The concept is better understood when you consider intervening obstacles as simply terrain features composed primarily of varying elevations (a 2m bush, a 4m structure, a 12m tree etc).

In comparison, the CC LOS and right-click+drag terrain tools are awkward, time consuming and seriously detract from player immersion, doing little to mitigate the problems inherent in top down view.

What is too often lacking w/r/t CC LOS is a tactical AI that would auto-prompt defending units/individuals to make minor position changes to gain LOS when a suitable target is known to them but just out of view.

(in reply to sepp3gd)
Post #: 179
RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update - 5/6/2017 1:11:28 PM   
mickxe5

If it lightens the CPU/GPU load, a 45 viewshed degree tool rather than a 360, based on current 1/8 facing, would be acceptable.

(in reply to mickxe5)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> RE: Close Combat - The Bloody First, dates update Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI