Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Linux Install Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Linux Install Guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/17/2016 7:28:38 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I am sure it will, but may be a day or two before I can have a proper look, I will post here whatever happens.

Thanks again

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 31
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/21/2016 5:52:42 PM   
emek

I can confirm that it works on Fedora 24 (KDE) with no issue. Your instructions are correct with some minor differences due to different Linux distribution.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 32
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/21/2016 6:52:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: emek

I can confirm that it works on Fedora 24 (KDE) with no issue. Your instructions are correct with some minor differences due to different Linux distribution.

Thanks!Glad to have confirmation with a distro I don't use.

I am about to do an Arch install (Manjuro)...should be interesting, but I am not expecting anything wildly different.

After that I will put it on Debian...which I have hopes that Tracker will work without me having to add additional programs.

I still need to play around with switches to tweak the replay.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/21/2016 6:56:59 PM >

(in reply to emek)
Post #: 33
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/23/2016 3:17:26 PM   
Lowpe

I have changed my switches and used only the px1920 and py1080 (full screen switch) and noticed a significant improvement in performance during the replay....my basic thought might be that wine and playonlinux are working to run the game and the switches are less important in this install.

I don't even need skipvideo as the video never played to begin with.

Pretty pleased right now with how the game is running, and I think I will be off exploring how to make tracker run. First off will be a simple wine install. Here is hoping...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 34
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/23/2016 5:13:01 PM   
RogerJNeilson

An update to Mac OSX wrecked my whole system this week, its back running but am still tidying bits so I have had no time to look further at this, I will when I get my machine fully operational to my liking again.

Best wishes

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 35
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/24/2016 12:13:50 AM   
Lowpe

In my latest turn I have been using the Manjaro distro of Linux. This is a arch style build (kind of Arch for dummies or the lazy) and is very fast.

I am happy to report this is the fasted running version of Linux I have used yet at processing WITP AE turns.

With only full screen enabled (px1920 py1080) and no other switches set the game runs the replay faster than Windows 7 but about 10% slower than Windows 10...this is the speeded up combat animations. There is no hitches, frame freezes, everything runs very smoothely even when accelerated.

The font in the animation needs work, but other than that this version is a real keeper.

Can't tell you how much Linux has improved at running this game since I first tried over 2 years ago.

I am very happy, and now need to really only worry about fixing tracker. I did work on that a little today, and it won't be easy (at least I don't think it will).

Perhaps the easiest solution for tracker is to create an installer... a .exe file rather than the current mode of unzipping the files. It would be easier to configure play on linux that way I think. Then I only need to make sure java and C+ are enabled and we would be good to go -- maybe.

Post #: 36
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/24/2016 1:22:02 PM   
Lowpe

I ran my latest turn in windowed mode, with only the px1280 by py1024; suppported size.

I am happy to report the turn ran just as quickly and smoothely.

I need to fix the font, but other than that I am decidedly very satisfied. It took less time to tweak the game here than in Windows 10, albeit the game does zip thru animations about 10% faster in Windows 10 than in linux - however all other aspects of the game after that seem identical (except for the font).

Cheers!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 37
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/25/2016 1:12:22 AM   
NigelKentarus

I downloaded the font Lucida Sans Unicode (I think that's the one that -altFont changes to. Anyway, I copied it into the virtual drive for WITP--AE, under drive_c, windows, fonts and it changed the font in game so that everything fits in the window. But more importantly, I followed the install steps and then I went on after the updates and installed jre-6u45-windows-i586.exe (Java 6). The first time I selected edit and then and the bottom I selected virtual drive. I'm not sure if that worked, so I did it again and changed the default install directory to Tracker, chose Tracker as a shortcut and it WORKS! At least everything I looked at worked. It displayed initialized the db and I was able to load both of my saved turns. I copied my save over to my windows machine and loaded it in Tracker and they matched. The fonts are a little diifferent but it worked.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 38
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/25/2016 3:06:18 AM   
Lowpe

Really well done!

On both counts...fixing the font and getting tracker to run...so you put java into the tracker directory.

Is this in the play on linux drive path or the hidden .playonlinx path? I think maybe I was overthinking the install.

Also, what distro of Linux are you using?

Post #: 39
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/25/2016 8:00:57 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 11:01:34 AM >

(in reply to emek)
Post #: 40
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/25/2016 2:49:35 PM   
Lowpe

I have changed fonts too now, and I will put up a post on that procedure as it can be messed up.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 41
RE: Linux Install Guide - 7/25/2016 5:49:08 PM   
NigelKentarus

It was the playonlinux virtual drive path. I've been using Mint Sarah (Mate) x64 edition. Just have to remember to install everything on playonlinux in 32 bit.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 42
Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/25/2016 11:41:41 PM   
Lowpe

Ok, I got Tracker running too, in Manjaro.

It took me a little bit, but I will put up a procedure for how I did it step by step next weekend plus or minus.

Basic steps.

Copy a working tracker folder into the path playonlinux using the virtual drive that you put witp ae in.

Ok? See below for my path. Realize there is a war in the pacific admirals edition folder adjacent to the tracker folder.

Then grab Java 6 off Oracle Archive...you need to register to get the file. Java 8 won't work as Wine isn't advanced enough to run it on my installation.

Start play on linux, select install program, install non-listed program, edit a program, select WITP AE, select java6.exe (actual file: jdk-6u43-windows-i586.exe) to install and then the java installer will pop up...use the default path the installer gives. You can grap other versions of Java 6...I think they will all work as long as you pick the 32 bit verson. The other install had the 45 version and it worked.

Then choose browse to select the shortcut for play on linux to create, go into your tacker folder and select one of the two .bat files (I picked no map) and then finish the install.

Open up the tracker folder and edit the .properties file with a text editor....read the lines carefully to make sure they are correct. Save and exit.

From Play on Linux select your tracker shortcut to load tracker.

Fonts are little off for now, but it runs, and I am sure we can get the fonts fixed by downloading the appropriate windows fonts into the playonlinux fonts folder for the virtual drive where witp ae is installed.

Not as hard as I thought it would be, and I will post a step by step install later.

This install might not work with every distro of Linux. So don't get mad at me if your version won't run tracker...but so far two very popular distros' will run it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/25/2016 11:43:10 PM >

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 43
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/26/2016 2:28:20 AM   
NigelKentarus

I didn't even try Java 8. I used 6 because Combat Reporter needed it and I used Reporter and Tracker. I haven't played with Reporter too much yet.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 44
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/30/2016 1:30:28 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Any updates on the horizon for all of this? My original Ubuntu is screwed so I'm looking for a direction to do this with one of the Linux types that has been shown to work.

Where to download, which version etc etc....

Roger

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 45
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/31/2016 2:02:36 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Any updates on the horizon for all of this? My original Ubuntu is screwed so I'm looking for a direction to do this with one of the Linux types that has been shown to work.

Where to download, which version etc etc....

Roger

Since you tried Ubuntu try one of the best Ubuntu versions out there...Ubuntu Mate. Tested and works, imho the best ubuntu out there very well done distro. I have used manjaro (arch distribution) but it really isn't for the new linux user, more like the medium experienced user.

just google "ubuntu mate" install play on linux and follow the guides as posted here.

Mint, Peppermint 7, are two other really good versions. I never really liked Ubuntu's Unity desktop, wasn't intuitive to me.

Of those three I would rank Ubuntu Mate first, Peppermint 2nd, and Mint 3rd. My rankings. All three install very easily I think.

You can go to youtube and search for reviews of those distributions, look for current reviews. the "Don't Call me Lenny" youtube channel has good, but dry, reviews of linux distros that run 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Post #: 46
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/31/2016 7:59:57 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Thanks Ubuntu Mate installed and it actually is now running the splash screen for the WITP game, but when I select game it closes down and reopens Ubuntu - it also says my monitor not recognised. Will have further plays, certainly looks the best install I have tried so far.

Roger

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 8/1/2016 7:50:46 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 47
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 7/31/2016 8:19:42 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Setting switches seems to have no effect. here is the monitor issue: Detect monitors does not work

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 7/31/2016 8:20:04 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 8/1/2016 12:19:21 AM   
Lowpe

Most linux installations don't automatically set your graphics card to nvidia or amd for example.

What they do instead is generally load up a free open source driver lest they insult the free only crowd.

You should be able to find additional drivers, it is several places but the quickest is to go system > hardware>additional drivers. Oh, this at the top of the monitor.

After a search it will list additional drivers and hopefully you will find a driver from nvidia or amd look for a driver that is tested and stable or something like that.

You may have to reboot after selecting the non-free driver.

Linux installs can be tricky with either newer hardware or some wifi drivers and graphics drivers.

Let me know what happens.

Post #: 49
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 8/1/2016 1:42:56 PM   
Lowpe

I am running a dual core intel computer, and I tried a few more switches...

I see a marginal improvement using dd_sw cpu2 and multiaudio so I think they will stay for awhile.

YMMV, of course.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 50
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 8/1/2016 8:51:41 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok I have made some progress as I now have the game displaying the start screen - of sorts. I guess I now have to play around with the window sizes by trial and error. The issue I have solved is to sort the video so it is actually displaying - this was done through a process in Parallels

Busy week so will be the weekend before I can play any further, but I do feel I am getting somewhere.

Roger

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 51
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 8/8/2016 3:35:38 AM   
Bodhi

Thanks for the info above, managed to install in Ubuntu 16.04 on a Thinkpad X240. Looks better with the -altFont switch, but the text is still very small and time will tell if I continue to use it on this system.

New to tracker (and AE, formally a UV and original WitP player), so I'd thought I'd give it a try. When I installed tracker initially, it didn't seem to like the full path I gave it to the main WitP folder
[Dir=/home/phil/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/WitP/drive_c/Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition] . Just to get it running, I put the tracker files into the same folder as the game and in the witptracker.properties file set Dir=[.] , which worked.

Did I miss some escape characters in the actual folder path? Any chance you could post a setting for this that works for you?

Thanks for the explanation above, very useful.

Phil

Bodhi

Post #: 52
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 8/8/2016 2:49:34 PM   
Lowpe

I banged my knee up, and it is not all that comfortable working on anything other than a Ipad right now.

Getting better, perhaps by next weekend I can get something up...the important thing is you got it working.

Play around with how you set the resolution up in your shortcut switches. You cna increase the size by using windowed mode and a lower resolution ... I find that works very well with laptops...your field of view is just reduced, but everything is much bigger.

No reason to play on the highest res settings without a magnifier handy.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 53
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 9/4/2016 4:58:29 AM   
sanch

This works great!

I started with Ubuntu Mate 16.04, and using apt-get I installed playonlinux:
sudo apt-get install playonlinux

And then followed along. For reference, here's temagic's list of libraries:
quote:

wmp9
wmpcodecs
directmusic
dsound
devenum
quartz
msxml4
mfc42
msasn1
ffdshow
vcrun2008

The resolution (px and py) switches work, and the altFont switch also works. The text is small, perhaps the Lucinda Sans Unicode isn't the best (but it's ok). Performance is fine - I see no need for the cpu or other performance-related switches. And I even have music - yahoo!

And tracker works too - not one problem using 32-bit java 6.

Thanks for figuring this out.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 54
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 11/12/2016 10:49:45 PM   
el lobo

Lowpe and all, this is a great thread and I have been flowing it since its inception but had no reason to comment until now.

I just set-up my new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I am using Raspbian for now as that is what comes with the NOOBS installer but I am looking forward to trying other distributions and challenges like setting-up my USB modem.

I am interested in trying to run witp-ae on this computer but my initial research indicates that I will not be able to do so because of the ARM architecture (no WINE or playonlinux).

I am hoping that one of you clever people will prove this wrong. Has anyone done this?

Thanks all for the tread and any help.

El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 55
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 11/13/2016 9:19:01 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Many thanks for this guide Now I only have to reinstall Ubuntu again.

And er, who's temagic (from The land of trolls)?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 56
RE: Linux Install Guide - 8/24/2017 3:44:58 AM   
Lowpe

Been a while that I have re-visited this thread, but I thought I would put up a graphical method for adding switches rather than digging thru file manager, showing hidden files, and then using a text editor to change the switches.

This is really simple. Highlight your game, and click either configure button.

See the graphic below:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/24/2017 3:48:54 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 57
RE: Linux Install Guide - 8/24/2017 3:47:53 AM   
Lowpe

Here is the -altFont font that needs to be added to improve the text.

Unzip the font, into your Playonlinux drives window/font folder. Pretty easy and you don't have to go looking for the font to download on the web.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 58
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 9/26/2017 7:25:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: el lobo

Lowpe and all, this is a great thread and I have been flowing it since its inception but had no reason to comment until now.

I just set-up my new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I am using Raspbian for now as that is what comes with the NOOBS installer but I am looking forward to trying other distributions and challenges like setting-up my USB modem.

I am interested in trying to run witp-ae on this computer but my initial research indicates that I will not be able to do so because of the ARM architecture (no WINE or playonlinux).

I am hoping that one of you clever people will prove this wrong. Has anyone done this?

Thanks all for the tread and any help.

Long time no answer here, you might want to try Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry ...maybe that has POL? I have it running, but haven't checked to see if POL is on it. I suspect you won't be happy how the game runs on a raspberry without severe modifications.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/26/2017 7:26:20 PM >

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 59
RE: Tracker now Works in Linux - 11/17/2017 7:03:28 PM   
DRF99

Just a note.

I was able to follow these directions with PlayOnMac - https://www.playonmac.com/en/
Similarly I got Tracker to work as well.

Thanks, Lowpe!

(Unfortunately, it is flakey, with frequent freezing. Probably on good for limited AI play with lots of saving.)

< Message edited by DRF99 -- 11/17/2017 7:33:07 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Linux Install Guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI