Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Northern Inferno >> F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera - 11/8/2017 2:49:37 PM   
HaughtKarl

I noticed the F-8 in the NI missions have AN/AAS-15 infrared/surveillance cameras with a range of 15nm, but from my experience they never detect anything. I experimented with land vehicles and with planes with their afterburners engaged but the MK1 eyeball is the sole sensor detecting these objects. I also can't find any info on this sensor: the Wikipedia reference source entry states that the infrared scanner "for use withe the four fuselage mounted Sidewinders".

http://www.utdallas.edu/library/specialcollections/hac/vought/history.pdf
Post #: 1
RE: F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera - 3/24/2018 3:29:50 PM   
jmarso

When you are running an RF-8 over a target area, hit F2 and check the cloud deck. If he's going in above it he won't see a thing. Recon missions I almost always micromanage, using the F3 button to lay out his course, and then setting altitudes and speeds at each waypoint. If he's going into a threat area I send him through on burner and have a standoff tanker waiting when he's done. Even with some fighter and SEAD support they still get smoked better than half the time anyway, it seems like. Tough job.

< Message edited by jmarso -- 3/24/2018 3:30:24 PM >

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Northern Inferno >> F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI