Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 4:29:06 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

This continues to be the biggest surprise to me.

With the early activation of the Soviets I rather expected 'all' the action in Manchuria so to speak. Soviet activation is a rare occurrence in these AARs and further a rare occurrence for players verses the AI ; one just anticipates a "big RED machine" that will blow through Japanese Tanks / Artillery / Ground forces... but it simply isn't so...

--

While all the action is here clearly and the KB on the way ... perhaps you can provide a bitty update about South Pacific? The Marshall's ? Gilberts ? Solomon Sea ?

i) You mention "Wake Guns show up"... I assume they naturally opened on map based on HQ location ?

ii) at this date in 42 you must have a number of Marine Fragments / Raiders / DBs still 'showing up in San Diego' ?? Given the focus in ABDA command... are you still making moves in other theaters ?

The Russian tank units and artillery are strong but their air force sucks, so Obvert wisely decided to limit his expansion once Japanese bombers and fighters started challenging him. Some Japanese players have in the past conquered the Soviets by first smashing their air force and then bombing the heck out of all opposition. Obvert has holed up in good terrain and building forts against such a bombing campaign while he upgrades LCU devices. I think he should get some T-34s soon! Once the Japanese air force is attrited by action around the map the Soviets can move ahead again.

i) Japanese Wake Coastal Gun Battery does appear at Wake. With the Soviets activated and Singapore not yet taken, Lowpe is clearly abandoning planned conquests to the South and Southeast to try and get his critical zone secured.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 1231
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 4:32:56 PM   
BillBrown

I am at work so I can not really check, but I believe that the Soviets do not get T-34 Tanks until early 1944.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 4/16/2018 4:33:13 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1232
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 4:44:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I am at work so I can not really check, but I believe that the Soviets do not get T-34 Tanks until early 1944.

I looked at Scenario 1 in the editor.
All three models of T-34 show availability 9999, which I think means "dependent on activation of the Soviets".
The Build Rates are: T34/76A: 26 T34/76C: 68 T34/85: 249

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1233
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 5:13:08 PM   
BillBrown

Scenario 28, T34/85 Medium Tank available 5/44
Scenario 1, T34/85 Medium Tank available 5/44

These are device #878

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1234
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 5:23:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Scenario 28, T34/85 Medium Tank available 5/44
Scenario 1, T34/85 Medium Tank available 5/44

These are device #878

Ok, I searched on the devices tab for T-34 and got the three types at index 496,497 & 498 and showed those results. The DB also has the entry you mentioned at 878, but only the one type of T-34 ... production rate something like 56.

So why are there entries earlier in the DB if entry 878 applies in all circumstances?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1235
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 5:56:25 PM   
BillBrown

The entries you showed are the original ones, there was a very large data patch early on that made a lot of devices obsolete.
The 9999 in the availability field is used to indicate that there are never produced.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1236
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 7:57:40 PM   
obvert

quote:

The entries you showed are the original ones, there was a very large data patch early on that made a lot of devices obsolete.
The 9999 in the availability field is used to indicate that there are never produced.

Thanks for the field research here! I had thought as much. No replacements to tanks for a few years. This is another reason the Soviets pushed hard to the good terrain, and then pulled back to defend. I can hold against anything, but attacking eats up devices.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1237
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 8:14:57 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

The Soviets are now quiet to conserve supply, finish forts building, protect industry with the AA available transferring to those big bases in the East, and training up pilots to use the arriving Il-2 and future fighters. All of the best pilots will be flying the MiGs and hoping to hold Vlad with them against what will be much better airframes in later 42-43.

China has some action, but the big push I was expecting hasn't materialised yet, in the air or on the ground. A few sporadic bombings in the PI and some small bases taken there. That's about it.

This continues to be the biggest surprise to me.

With the early activation of the Soviets I rather expected 'all' the action in Manchuria so to speak. Soviet activation is a rare occurrence in these AARs and further a rare occurrence for players verses the AI ; one just anticipates a "big RED machine" that will blow through Japanese Tanks / Artillery / Ground forces... but it simply isn't so...

--

While all the action is here clearly and the KB on the way ... perhaps you can provide a bitty update about South Pacific? The Marshall's ? Gilberts ? Solomon Sea ?

i) You mention "Wake Guns show up"... I assume they naturally opened on map based on HQ location ?

ii) at this date in 42 you must have a number of Marine Fragments / Raiders / DBs still 'showing up in San Diego' ?? Given the focus in ABDA command... are you still making moves in other theaters ?

It is odd. South and Central Pacific were only critical because Japan tried to cut off Australia, and the Allies tried to stop them. A lot of other decisions could have been made, it seems.

South Pacific:

I hold Tulagi and Lunga with good fortification. I grabbed these early, and decided to load up for a fight. None came.

PM and a few little dots are also in Allied hands here. Wewak is still held by Lark Force, but I've basically forgotten about them. A few Cat patrols supply them, that's it.

Central Pacific:

One of the secret invasions I made early was to Tabiteuaea. Reinforced the base and built it up quickly. No response. This would be the springboard for this area if I ever needed it, and it monitors Japanese efforts here. Not much to see now.

North Oz:

Darwin is a minor logistics base. I've got a good hold on Ambon, Koepang, Macassar and Kendari, and I'll now reinforce heavily. Then the movement begins NW toward the PI. I want to get to Malaybalay before those troops are vanquished, then get supply to Luzon.

North Pacific:

This area started out gangbusters, then has seen only sporadic action. Units are prepping for Shemya, Buldir and the Soviet islands to the NE. If I can take all of these before the winter I'll be very happy with this area. Petropavlosk has lately taken a pounding, but he won't invade. Too many CD guns there.

I'm curious if I retake the Russian Islands, will they be able to be used by all Allied forces? Can I build them and bomb from there?

West Coast:

Early on I defended heavily on the West Coast. Now everything is moving to either Balboa by ship or East Coast by rail. All then moves through Cape Town to either Perth or Oosthaven. There is steady fuel going to Oz that way, then supply goes form Perth to the DEI.

India and Burma:

A lot is moving from Colombo to Oosthaven too, now that there is less to worry about in terms of raiders.

Ledo is hosting some Chinese air groups fleeing the Japanese onslaught a few weeks ago. I'll upgrade to the old AVG planes and get them back in action.

Chittagong has built into a reliable air base, and may see some action soon if I can recon Magwe to see how well he's still protecting the oil there.

The Allies hold Lashio with a vice grip. The Burma division is filled out and well experienced now, and two Chinese Corps have arrived to supplement it, one now up to 650 AV. Forts are building again and approaching level 4. Myitkyina is not challenged, but has been fortifying and building. It's a solid air base and logistical center.

I have some thoughts about Burma now, and I'll go over them soon.

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/17/2018 7:23:16 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 1238
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 8:26:57 PM   
obvert

Now this is what I was looking for!

Belt armor penetration should mean a healthy bit of float damage added onto whatever she's heading back to patch up now. This is the same TF I've been hunting with Zuikaku in it. Not sure if they're still together, but subs are on patrol between Formosa and Nagasaki just in case.

Some night bombing B-25c go for HK too late it seems, but this serves notice that ports nearby are not so safe these days!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1239
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 8:29:09 PM   
obvert

I'd sent one B-17 group to Clark to hit Hong Kong, but changed my mind when Stearman operating from Manilla served this strike up on a plate. A small gaggle of TKs and Es disbanded at Naga on the tip of Luzon. Just about all were hit by multiple 500 pounders and I bet over half are sunk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1240
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 8:35:10 PM   
obvert

June 24, 1942

The RN also put a pounded bombardment down at Johore Baru. Every once in a while the damage is devastating. I'm still not sure if the differences are die rolls or if weather, moonlight, recon or other factors are playing a part. Hard to know as I haven't changed the settings on anything in a good while.

At Taiping the Allies face a setback as the 21st division arrives just in time to thwart the DA. Damage is not too bad, and I'll just let all but one tank rgt hold on here. It's actually probably better for the Allies in the long run for him to defend forward here, as I plan to land behind in the not too distant future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR June 24, 1942
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Naval bombardment of Johore Bahru at 50,83

Allied Ships
CA Devonshire
CA Louisville
CL Enterprise
CL Hobart
CL Perth
CL Achilles
DD Hotspur
DD Express
DD Thracian
DD Stronghold
DD Kortenaer

Japanese ground losses:
274 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 29 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 30 (17 destroyed, 13 disabled)
Vehicles lost 17 (13 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Resources hits 2
Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 67
Port hits 12
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

CA Devonshire firing at Johore Bahru
SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Louisville
CA Louisville firing at Johore Bahru
Walrus II acting as spotter for CL Enterprise
CL Enterprise firing at 2nd/A Division

ASW attack near Pescadores at 82,63

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Torpedo hits 1
AMC Nosiro Maru
AK Azumasan Maru
AK Kaga Maru
xAP Kowa Maru
xAP Kasado Maru
xAP Koan Maru
xAK Yamaura Maru
xAK Atutasan Maru
SC Ch 6

Allied Ships
SS Shark

SS Shark launches 4 torpedoes at BB Hiei
SC Ch 6 fails to find sub, continues to search...

Afternoon Air attack on Naga , at 81,81

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
TK Hakko Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
TK Syoyo Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
TB Sagi, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Teiyo Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
E Hashidate, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Chuko Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kongo Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 5000 feet
Port Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Massive explosion on TB Sagi

Ground combat at Taiping (49,75)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 14305 troops, 282 guns, 422 vehicles, Assault Value = 529

Defending force 18087 troops, 165 guns, 121 vehicles, Assault Value = 511

Allied adjusted assault: 414

Japanese adjusted defense: 873

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
469 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 7 (4 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (2 destroyed, 33 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
916 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 80 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 17 (2 destroyed, 15 disabled)
Vehicles lost 83 (11 destroyed, 72 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2/7th Armoured Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
17th Australian Brigade
2/5th Armoured Regiment
18th Australian Brigade
6th Cav Recce Regiment
2/2nd Pioneer Battalion
Kowloon Brigade
2/9th Fld RAA Regiment
2/11th Fld RAA Regiment
97th Field Artillery Battalion
2/13th Fld RAA Regiment
2/2nd Hy AA Regiment
IV Indian Corps /1

Defending units:
14th Tank Regiment
Sasebo 5th SNLF
21st Division
6th RTA/A Division
9th Field Construction Battalion
5th RF Gun Battalion
12th Base Force

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/17/2018 9:48:22 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1241
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 9:48:17 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

obvert: I'm curious if I retake the Russian Islands, will they be able to be used by all Allied forces? Can I build them and bomb from there?

If only Russian forces are used and the base is Soviet, it might not support allied ops (other than ship repair) but if US or British forces are in the invasion their first-unit-in-the-stack HQ would get admin. control of the base and that should mean that it operates as an allied base (unless the code says the national affiliation of the base determines this).

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1242
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/16/2018 11:40:21 PM   
ny59giants

Considering you are only in June '42, I wonder in the actual war, how many 6" and large shells did the Allies have? You have done a lot of naval bombardments. Would they have come down and told you they are producing more but it will take 'x' months to get them to Singapore?

Which warships now have the best experience levels?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1243
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 4:17:22 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
469 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
916 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
2/7th Armoured Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
17th Australian Brigade
2/5th Armoured Regiment
18th Australian Brigade
6th Cav Recce Regiment
2/2nd Pioneer Battalion
Kowloon Brigade
2/9th Fld RAA Regiment
2/11th Fld RAA Regiment
2/13th Fld RAA Regiment
2/2nd Hy AA Regiment
IV Indian Corps /1

Defending units:
14th Tank Regiment
Sasebo 5th SNLF
21st Division
6th RTA/A Division
5th RF Gun Battalion
12th Base Force

You're gonna need a bigger stick . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1244
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 5:09:06 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

obvert: I'm curious if I retake the Russian Islands, will they be able to be used by all Allied forces? Can I build them and bomb from there?

If only Russian forces are used and the base is Soviet, it might not support allied ops (other than ship repair) but if US or British forces are in the invasion their first-unit-in-the-stack HQ would get admin. control of the base and that should mean that it operates as an allied base (unless the code says the national affiliation of the base determines this).

It depends on the country code, not the base assignment.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1245
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 7:18:46 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

It depends on the country code, not the base assignment.

So I've sent some Allied US Army "observers" and "consultants" to the Soviet east, and they are able to be in a Soviet (country coded base) like at Okha. I landed and flew them there.

Not sure if the engineers are working? Or if they will take part in battles? Or if the base flag is changed will I be able to use Allied planes there? I am not planning on that for Okha, but this makes sense to me at the island bases extended from the Aleutians.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1246
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 7:20:09 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
469 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
916 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
2/7th Armoured Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
17th Australian Brigade
2/5th Armoured Regiment
18th Australian Brigade
6th Cav Recce Regiment
2/2nd Pioneer Battalion
Kowloon Brigade
2/9th Fld RAA Regiment
2/11th Fld RAA Regiment
2/13th Fld RAA Regiment
2/2nd Hy AA Regiment
IV Indian Corps /1

Defending units:
14th Tank Regiment
Sasebo 5th SNLF
21st Division
6th RTA/A Division
5th RF Gun Battalion
12th Base Force

You're gonna need a bigger stick . . .

I have that big stick ready!

I'm just getting it set to land in another spot and trying to find enough fast unloading transports to actual make it work.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1247
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 10:11:37 AM   
obvert

The night of the 25th starts with some ominous patrol sightings off the coast of Malaya. I had been hiding and carefully manoeuvring the Allied CVs for a strike, keeping them in the background near Palembang, where the Japanese have stopped air patrols. The bombing of Singkawang field has proved a major Allied success as it allowed for huge reinforcement convoys to sail undetected to Batu Palat, and these CV Bfs to hover, sometimes within 11-12 hexes of Miri and the KB for days.

I just moved them up for a possible strike on the large CA led TF operating near Mersing. It was not picked up at night though, and instead something else appeared near Kuantan ...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1248
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 10:16:58 AM   
obvert

The day started with my LR CAP covering Brunei port strikes taking a detour to hit Sallys next door. That was good, but ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1249
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 10:18:52 AM   
obvert

That also meant the B-17s had no support and I suffered my worst losses of the war in a 4E strike. Ten total lost on the day. In the end I didn't care so much though, and there are 60 in the pools right now, so still doing okay with those.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1250
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:02:02 AM   
obvert

Then the big surprise!! A KB strike! I knew they'd moved in, but didn't know if they would be in range or set to strike so close to Singers. My CVs were 1 hex from the big base, sitting between the CAP at Batu Palat, set with a 1 hex bleed to cover am-hubs moving in, and the 400+ fighters at Singers. All Singers fighters were set to a 2 hex bleed to cover Batu Palat, the ASW TF I had out, and potentially the CVs if needed.

As you can see here, it was lucky to be so close to the supporting LBA CAP. They arrived in numbers before the slow climbing Wildcats, just because the CAP had a lot of layers and the top began diving right away.

Allied radar!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1251
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:04:58 AM   
obvert

Soon, though, overwhelming numbers arrived and began tearing through the escorting A6Ms.

The USAAF groups are all very experienced, and with the qualitative advantage the KB usually has in pilots no longer there, the escorts didn't fare well at all. I hope this decimated the experienced pilots base of the KB for a while.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1252
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:18:44 AM   
obvert

It wasn't long before they got some revenge for PH. Days of nailing the BBs there has left a sore spot for the Allied flyboy, and they got to hit those same bombers here long before they got any runs at the CVs below.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1253
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:20:29 AM   
obvert

By the time they go through more than half of the strike planes and half of the escorts were shot down, and the groups were scattered and disorganised. Allied flank then began to pound away with the recently returned POW pounding away the loudest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1254
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:24:12 AM   
obvert

These are expertJapanese air crews though, and some did score. A 250kg bomb first tore into Hornet, then a torpedo hit Sara. Hornet took three bombs total and was left with a dangerous fire burning. Prince of Wales was hit by a bouncing bomb and one fish. Yorktown though escaped completely untouched, since the one hit bounced, as did all of the RN CVs.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR June 26, 1942

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Singapore at 49,83

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 35
B5N1 Kate x 27
B5N2 Kate x 59
D3A1 Val x 66

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 15
Martlet II x 40
Hurricane IIb Trop x 32
Kittyhawk IA x 21
P-39D Airacobra x 28
P-400 Airacobra x 5
P-40B Warhawk x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 36
F2A-3 Buffalo x 19
F4F-3A Wildcat x 18
F4F-3 Wildcat x 28
F4F-4 Wildcat x 81

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 18 destroyed, 9 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 18 destroyed, 11 damaged
D3A1 Val: 4 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Illustrious
CV Hornet, Bomb hits 3, on fire
BB Prince of Wales, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
CV Saratoga, Torpedo hits 1
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1
CLAA Van Heemskerck

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

The Allied planes had already launched, and they got their strike next.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/17/2018 11:36:57 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1255
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:33:26 AM   
obvert

Originally I'd hit the KB CAP at Miri, and I thought watching this that they must have still been set for 10k. As I later looked at the reports they were all at 15k, exactly on a level with the entire Allied strike package. I'm amazed the Allied strikes got through as well as they did.

The escorts did lose a fair number of planes, but they protected 2/3 of the strike package, which managed to spread around their strikes evenly around the KB. Normally I wouldn't like this, but a damaged KB is not effective, and most of these ships will need some yard time now! [&o

Unfortunately, due to a sync bug, I wasn't able to see the correct replay and watch the damage reports.

I can still predict a bit from the final CR, but it's hard to know what the 2 x 1000lb bombs on Soryu did compared to the 2 x 1000lb bombs that started heavy fires on Hiryu. Hard to tell what the singles on Kaga and Akagi did as well. I'll have to wait and see for the next few turns I guess.

The only CV that looks to be in trouble is Junyo. Not the most durable one to start with, having heavy fires, heavy damage should mean she's done for.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR June 22, 1942

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kota Bharu at 52,77

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 89

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 10
F4F-3 Wildcat x 26
SBD-3 Dauntless x 102
TBF-1 Avenger x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F2A-3 Buffalo: 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 15 destroyed, 15 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 4 destroyed, 3 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 2
CVE Taiyo, Bomb hits 1
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CVE Hosho, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
CV Junyo, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Shiranui
CV Akagi, Bomb hits 1
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 1
CV Shokaku, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
DD Yugumo
DD Oyashio
DD Arashi

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Ammo storage explosion on CVE Hosho
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CVL Shoho
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CV Hiryu

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/17/2018 11:50:02 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1256
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:47:17 AM   
obvert

June 26, 1942

Below is the situation after the CV clash. I feel like enough damage was dished out that the KB will retire, but just in case I'll send the still burning Hornet and damaged Sara with all other ships into Singers to sit under the big CAP and disband.

After a turn spent with full search and recon going around the area I'll asses whether I should pursue or call it a day.

On the day the KB strike planes were decimated so I don't thin a day 2 is really possible for him, but due to the fires it's not for the Allies either. Subs will aim to finish things off, and as shown here, there are plenty to use.

I'll only send about 15 hunting, while the rest will gather on escape paths to try and stay out of the way of ASW search and destroy.

With about 140 strike planes downed on the day in addition to the damaged CVs, this should neuter the KB for a good month or two. I plan to make use of that window.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1257
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 11:54:06 AM   
scondon87

That's exciting!

I think you came out better on the exchange, especially as his closest safe shipyard is Japan. It's a long way back to the HI with burning carriers. Seems like a draw, but in 1942, tactical draws are victories for the Allies.

Singapore probably isn't safe enough to use for carrier repair, what's the next closest? Colombo?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1258
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 2:15:15 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: scondon87

That's exciting!

I think you came out better on the exchange, especially as his closest safe shipyard is Japan. It's a long way back to the HI with burning carriers. Seems like a draw, but in 1942, tactical draws are victories for the Allies.

Singapore probably isn't safe enough to use for carrier repair, what's the next closest? Colombo?

It feels like hitting so many carriers will make the entire KB have to retreat to patch things up. I don't think he wants to risk another fight not knowing how damaged the Allied CVs are currently. Plus, Junyo is almost surely in sinking shape, and a couple others like Shoho, will be in real trouble. The worst I have to deal with is Sara with about 20 float damage, and still she can make 25 knots, so I could use her in a pinch.

Actually, Singapore is probably the safest spot on map, although Cape Town would be the safest close port off map.

There is a lot of AA here and a huge CAP. Since the KB is not going to be striking, I doubt the Sallys and Netties on map would have much luck with a port strike here. The Flak value is approaching 100, and most of it is good commonwealth 3.7" AA guns and Marine 90mm AA, which are great.

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/17/2018 2:25:35 PM >

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 1259
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 4/17/2018 3:19:16 PM   
ny59giants

I would put up some night CAP to ruin his aim over Singapore.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI