Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 6:34:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

Messi has only played for one team for most of his career and that team is Barca
A team that has some of the best and gifted players in the world
Take him away from those superstars and put him in a team that is average (like most teams ) and he is an average player
If you want to be the best you have to work at it like Ranaldo
Portugal are not a very good team but he is proving how good he is
warspite1

Whereas Ronaldo is playing with amateurs at Real and previously at Manchester United?

People have their opinion on whether Ronaldo or Messi is better and that is fine and an interesting debate. But you think Messi is just an average player? Not sure how many would agree with that but its not going to be many - and certainly not many of his professional footballing peers.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 3211
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 6:45:39 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Yes I am seeing the negative side. To be clear if VAR works as it should then it is a good thing.

Did anyone watch the Argentina vs Croatia game? There were potentially bone breaking challenges going on and Otamendi kicked a Croatian in the back whilst the latter was on the floor. In a non-VAR world the talking point would be the referee who makes the wrong decisions. In a VAR world the talking point is the VAR refs that missed them. The difference? The VAR refs are supposed to have the benefit of numerous replays from different angles to see what the ref may have missed.

So then what the hell was last night all about? What was Harry Kane getting wrestled to the ground Greco-Roman stylee all about?

Remember referees have been told at this World Cup to try and cut-out the wrestling in the box. So if that is a specific edict from on high then why were the VAR refs to inept?

There could have been multiple red cards in the Argentina v Croatia game. Otamendi deserved a straight red. There are no premier league refs out in Russia and we are seeing the results of that. The problem I see is that the Ref and the VAR team have to be singing from the same song sheet. It also seems that FIFA has told refs to be lenient.

The Ref & VAR combination is still a work in progress as far as I am concerned. And as far as I know, VAR were not even involved with the Harry Kane incidents and were probably not involved with the Otamendi incident. Such things are, apparently, not in their remit.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3212
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 6:52:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

warspite1

Yes I am seeing the negative side. To be clear if VAR works as it should then it is a good thing.

Did anyone watch the Argentina vs Croatia game? There were potentially bone breaking challenges going on and Otamendi kicked a Croatian in the back whilst the latter was on the floor. In a non-VAR world the talking point would be the referee who makes the wrong decisions. In a VAR world the talking point is the VAR refs that missed them. The difference? The VAR refs are supposed to have the benefit of numerous replays from different angles to see what the ref may have missed.

So then what the hell was last night all about? What was Harry Kane getting wrestled to the ground Greco-Roman stylee all about?

Remember referees have been told at this World Cup to try and cut-out the wrestling in the box. So if that is a specific edict from on high then why were the VAR refs to inept?

There could have been multiple red cards in the Argentina v Croatia game. Otamendi deserved a straight red. There are no premier league refs out in Russia and we are seeing the results of that. The problem I see is that the Ref and the VAR team have to be singing from the same song sheet. It also seems that FIFA has told refs to be lenient.

The Ref & VAR combination is still a work in progress as far as I am concerned. And as far as I know, VAR were not even involved with the Harry Kane incidents and were probably not involved with the Otamendi incident. Such things are, apparently, not in their remit.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Out of interest, why would the VAR refs not be interested in opining on whether Harry Kane was fouled, but were interested in whether other players were fouled in the box? Who decides what is VAR'd? It can't just be the ref surely because he may miss something - which makes VAR pretty pointless??? I'm pretty sure in the Iceland - Nigeria game the non-penalty overturn came from the VAR peeps - the ref had decided it was not a penalty.

I am also at a loss as to how the refs can be told to be lenient and at the same time to cut out the WWE penalty area stuff.

There's lenient for somethings sure - but kicking a player or trying to snap a player's leg in two can't EVER be something the calls for leniency.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/22/2018 7:00:55 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3213
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:04:38 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Out of interest, why would the VAR refs not be interested in opining on whether Harry Kane was fouled, but were interested in whether other players were fouled in the box? Who decides what is VAR'd? It can't just be the ref surely because he may miss something - which makes VAR pretty pointless???

I am also at a loss as to how the refs can be told to be lenient and at the same time to cut out the WWE penalty area stuff.

There's lenient for somethings sure - but kicking a player or trying to snap a player's leg in two can't EVER be something the calls for leniency.

For VAR, take a look at this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdwOL08NfxQ

That is FIFA TV.

As for leniency, that is down to the Refs not VAR. I agree with you that some of those incidents were downright dangerous if not criminal. But still down the Ref.

If the Refs have been told to go easy on the yellow cards (and I have no proof that they have other than what has gone on so far) then that is still down to the Ref. Only Red cards are reviewed by VAR.

FIFA have been clear on what gets reviewed by VAR. Is that enough? No, not in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3214
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:17:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Out of interest, why would the VAR refs not be interested in opining on whether Harry Kane was fouled, but were interested in whether other players were fouled in the box? Who decides what is VAR'd? It can't just be the ref surely because he may miss something - which makes VAR pretty pointless???

That is FIFA TV.

As for leniency, that is down to the Refs not VAR. I agree with you that some of those incidents were downright dangerous if not criminal. But still down the Ref.

If the Refs have been told to go easy on the yellow cards (and I have no proof that they have other than what has gone on so far) then that is still down to the Ref. Only Red cards are reviewed by VAR.

FIFA have been clear on what gets reviewed by VAR. Is that enough? No, not in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Thank-you - yes so that proves that the man-handling of Harry Kane WAS being looked at by the VAR team.

They were also looking at the Otamendi and Rebic incidents.

That's a disgrace in the case of the latter two, and woefully inconsistent in the case of the Kane incidents.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/22/2018 7:27:43 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3215
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:28:58 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Thank-you - yes so that proves that the man-handling of Harry Kane WAS being looked at by the VAR team.

That's a disgrace.

Otamendi and Rebic did not get red cards. So, not reviewed by VAR.

FIFA investigated the Harry Kane incidents and confirmed VAR working ok. Bad news for the Ref. Will be interesting to see if he gets anymore games in this world cup.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3216
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:33:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

FIFA investigated the Harry Kane incidents and confirmed VAR working ok. Bad news for the Ref. Will be interesting to see if he gets anymore games in this world cup.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

What so you are saying they only review red cards in case they should not be red - but not potential red card incidents? Not my reading of it.

Violent conduct and dangerous tackles can be penalised using VAR. Second-yellow cards cannot.

Red cards. If the referee has decided a foul has been committed, then VAR can be used to decide whether a red card should be awarded.

If its only reviewing red cards then what is the point of that? I can't believe that is the correct interpretation.

Sorry in the case of Harry Kane what did FIFA say was okay and how did those incidents differ from Nigeria vs Croatia???

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/22/2018 7:40:21 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3217
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:46:01 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

What so you are saying they only review red cards in case they should not be red - but not potential red card incidents? Not my reading of it.

Violent conduct and dangerous tackles can be penalised using VAR. Second-yellow cards cannot.

If that is the case then what is the point of that? I can't believe that is the correct interpretation.

Sorry in the case of Harry Kane what did FIFA say was okay and how did those incidents differ from Nigeria vs Croatia???

VAR can only suggest that the ref looks at an incident. VAR cannot overrule the ref. If the ref does not want to look ....

The problems you mention (with which I agree) are more down to the ref than VAR. That is a problem in itself.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3218
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:49:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

If that is the case then what is the point of that? I can't believe that is the correct interpretation.

VAR can only suggest that the ref looks at an incident. VAR cannot overrule the ref. If the ref does not want to look ....

The problems you mention (with which I agree) are more down to the ref than VAR. That is a problem in itself.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

If you want to know all you need to know about the total horsepoo that is VAR then have a look at Serbia vs Switzerland. Total and utter nonsense.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3219
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:53:26 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

If you want to know all you need to know about the total horsepoo that is VAR then have a look at Serbia vs Switzerland. Total and utter nonsense.

Yep I am watching it at the moment. And yes Serbia should have had a penalty.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3220
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 7:59:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Never mind a penalty - the two Swiss players that wrestled the Serbian to the ground have just won joint gold for the Greco-Roman 85 Kg weight class for their immaculate takedown.... but neither the referee, the linesman nor the 44 people in the VAR booth saw anything amiss.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/22/2018 8:01:02 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3221
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:06:32 PM   
shunwick

The 2 round of games in Group E are now complete.

Brazil 2 Costa Rica 0. Brazil worked hard for it and got two late goals. Costa Rica become the latest team to book their flight back home. Brazil are an enigma. They are not firsing on all four cylinders but occasionally showing the flair and we associate with them.

Switzerland 2 Serbia 1. An enjoyable match to watch particularly the second half. More WWE wrestling, this time against Serbia and Mitrovic. Apparently this allowed now in modern football.

It leaves Brazil, Switzerland and Serbia with everything to fight for.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3222
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:08:24 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Never mind a penalty - the two Swiss players that wrestled the Serbian to the ground have just won joint gold for the Greco-Roman 85 Kg weight class for their immaculate takedown.... but neither the referee, the linesman nor the 44 people in the VAR booth saw anything amiss.....

Which only goes to prove that this is now allowed on the football field. It has official FIFA license....

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3223
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:11:18 PM   
warspite1

Argentina vs Nigeria
Brazil vs Serbia

I look forward to those

But most of all I am relying on Sweden. My big name casualty to go out at the group stage is neither the Argies or Brazil, its Germany. Come on Sweden, you know you want to

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3224
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:12:36 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Argentina vs Nigeria
Brazil vs Serbia

I look forward to those

But most of all I am relying on Sweden. My big name casualty to go out at the group stage is neither the Argies or Brazil, its Germany. Come on Sweden, you know you want to

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3225
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:13:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Which only goes to prove that this is now allowed on the football field. It has official FIFA license....

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Unless you are Nigerian and you do it to a Croatian. Then, apparently, such a move is not allowed.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3226
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:45:50 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That is FIFA TV.

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

That's a disgrace.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Unless you are Nigerian and you do it to a Croatian. Then, apparently, such a move is not allowed.

Down to the ref. Look. I am not happy with the quality of refereeing at this world cup. As always, it is inconsistent and arbitrary.

The referee remains the main man in charge of the game. The buck stops with him.

If the ref makes a bad decision don't shoot the VAR.

I know what you want from VAR. I want it as well. We will not get it.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3227
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2018 8:58:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

VAR has just destroyed the hope and illusions of the weak and frail.

A weak team hardly can defeat a superior opponent (it actually can, but it's not normal; if it was Iceland would have won 4 WCs, Albania 3 WCs and so on), therefore referee's mistakes were in fact a leveler. And now this is going to disappear.

So except Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Spain, France [?], Belgium [??]... remember Dante's words as he passes through the gate of Hell:

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

And I would love to see the Croatians or Mexicans bag it. The Russians would be great too.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3228
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 3:06:55 AM   
warspite1

Absolutely incredible. I won't ask what the Swiss on the right is doing as its a family forum. Let's see if this... ahem... alleged referee gets another game in the tournament.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/23/2018 4:27:15 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3229
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 9:51:39 AM   
shunwick

Six videos that will explain everything you see at the world cup...

How VAR really works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSLsVHZedKc

When Football meets WWE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BGImVIW9g

Football's Worst Types of Dirty Dives - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJoN3bC4QQ

Classic Goal Celebrations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-o0nan62lo

Football's Funiest Gestures to the Referee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9PEkXwFAA

How To Be a Modern Day Footballer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2uOXKZtn7g

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3230
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 2:29:27 PM   
rico21

Maybe...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3231
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 6:35:38 PM   
shunwick

GOAL Toivonen

SWEDEN

Half Time: Sweden 1 Germany 0

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2018 6:51:29 PM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3232
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 6:55:43 PM   
warspite1

More referee/VAR nonsense but.....

SWEDEN!!!

Let's hope they don't regret those two misses (great save by Neuer for the second btw).

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/23/2018 6:56:12 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3233
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 6:56:02 PM   
ernieschwitz

If Sweden wins, then they write world cup history. Never before has the last World Cup winner get eliminated before the knockout part of the tournament.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3234
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 6:57:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

If Sweden wins, then they write world cup history. Never before has the last World Cup winner get eliminated before the knockout part of the tournament.
warspite1

What about France 2002??? or Italy 2010???

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/23/2018 7:00:56 PM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3235
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:01:46 PM   
ernieschwitz

I stand corrected. Just what the commentators said on Danish TV... guess they are full of... it?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

warspite1

What about France 2002??? or Italy 2010???

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3236
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:03:40 PM   
shunwick

France were reigning World Champs in 2002 and crashed out in the group stage. Beaten by Senegal(?), drew with Uruguay, and beaten by Denmark.

And yes Italy crashed out in 2010.

Curiously, I don't remember much about the 2010 World Cup.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2018 7:16:08 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3237
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:06:50 PM   
shunwick

GOAL

Germany

Sweden 1 Germany 1

Dear Lord what an idiot. Chance to put Germany 2-1 up and he decides to go flashy?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2018 7:20:31 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3238
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:55:12 PM   
warspite1

I don't know what to say.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3239
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:58:07 PM   
shunwick

Well... the second round of games in Group F are now complete...

Mexico 2 South Korea 1. Mexico were in control of this game. South Korea scored deep into injury time but it was not enough to change the game.

Sweden 1 Germany 2. Germany spent most of the game knocking on Sweden's door. The Swedish goal gave them hope. The Ref having denied a reasonable looking Swedish shout for a penalty. To be fair, Germany always did look capable of nicking a winner to much Swedish dismay. Germany had Boateng sent off in the second half for two yellows.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2018 8:01:54 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI