Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 7:58:51 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I don't know what to say.....

I know what I said. Not repeatable here.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3241
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 8:04:59 PM   
warspite1

When Sweden broke why did Larsson decide to foul some German miles from the ball? Then what was Forsberg doing with his pass to the keeper???? Then what was that substitute doing giving away the foul on the edge of the area when he had cover???? AAAARRRRGGGHHH - that was rubbish - do they think they're English?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3242
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 8:07:14 PM   
shunwick

quote:

When Sweden broke why did Larsson decide to foul some German miles from the ball? Then what was Forsberg doing with his pass to the keeper???? Then what was that substitute doing giving away the foul on the edge of the area when he had cover???? AAAARRRRGGGHHH - that was rubbish - do they think they're English?

Definitely not English...

Great game to watch though....

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2018 8:09:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3243
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 8:09:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And that ladies und herren, is the difference between proud champions and the rest.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3244
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 8:13:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Indeed - they gave Germany a hard game.

I am so angry right now I might as well be Swedish. Why is it ALWAYS Germany??? Heartbreakers. Hungary, Holland, Poland, France, England, Algeria, Sweden.... why is it always bloody Germany???*

*And for the avoidance of doubt this may sound like an anti-German rant (and it is ) but only because I want them to lose so much because of how successful they are as a footballing nation and all the hearts they seem to break along the way. But to be clear, the German national team is just incredible and has been since forever .

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3245
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 9:29:04 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I am so angry right now I might as well be Swedish. Why is it ALWAYS Germany??? Heartbreakers. Hungary, Holland, Poland, France, England, Algeria, Sweden.... why is it always bloody Germany???*

*And for the avoidance of doubt this may sound like an anti-German rant (and it is ) but only because I want them to lose so much because of how successful they are as a footballing nation and all the hearts they seem to break along the way. But to be clear, the German national team is just incredible and has been since forever .

By and large, I just tend to cheer on the underdogs. I mean, Braintree Town supporter here...

I enjoy watching good football though and do not likely dirty play from anyone. Overall, I have seem some entertaining games at this world cup and the drama tonight was a lot of fun.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3246
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 9:36:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

By and large, I just tend to cheer on the underdogs. I mean, Braintree Town supporter here...

I enjoy watching good football though and do not likely dirty play from anyone. Overall, I have seem some entertaining games at this world cup and the drama tonight was a lot of fun.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Exactly, as a neutral I think that is natural and certainly my stance on games not involving England (or the home countries). But that is why Germany are so often the villain of the piece to me - not because I have anything against Germany or Germans (far from it) - but because they are rarely, if ever, the underdog in football.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3247
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 10:29:04 PM   
Piteas

Good play, Germany.

All together now: Viva México!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3248
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2018 10:32:52 PM   
Vasquez

Iam sceptical about the ability of the german football team this time. To much trouble before the tournament expecially since the german national trainer kept two players in the team after they worshiped the wrong person. The german peoples are really angry about that. No one wants angry germans. Ask our Chancellor nowadays ;p

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3249
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/24/2018 2:05:03 PM   
shunwick

Second round of games in Group G are now complete.

Belgium 5 Tunisia 2. Belgium lost the awkwardness of their first game to show the fluidity we all know they are capable of. The were always in control of the game. They will be worried (or at least should be) by the two goals that Tunisia scored. However, they will be well pleased with the result and the performance.

England 6 Panama 1. England controlled the game throughout. Two penalties, one fluke, and three really good goals were England firepower. They were 5-0 up at half time and the second half they clearly went down to half power. Defensive frailties exist in the England team. The Panama goal was the defence going to sleep in the heat and the 6-0 lead. But even before that there were signs that England were not that comfortable playing out from the back. Overall, a good game from England.

Belgium v England in the final round of games for the Group will be very interesting.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/24/2018 2:08:17 PM >

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 3250
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/24/2018 7:59:42 PM   
shunwick

The second round of games in Group H are now complete...

Japan 2 Senegal 2. A hugely enjoyable game to watch, both teams wanted to win and in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

Poland 0 Colombia 3. Another enjoyable game. So, top seeds in the group, Poland, go whimpering out the world cup. Some cracking play from Colombia and three very good goals.

Senegal v Colombia looks a tasty tie from the third round of games.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3251
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2018 3:59:53 PM   
shunwick

The final round of group A games are now complete.

Uruguay 3 Russia 0. Enjoyable game to watch. Uruguay will be well happy with the result and the performance. Russia, down to ten men after a sending off, never more than huffed and puffed. So Uruguay top the table and Russia finish in second place.

Uruguay are quality side while Russia are unlikely to cause any upsets.

Egypt 1 Saudi Arabia 2. Didn't watch this game since it was played at the same time as the Uruguay- Russia game. Neither side had anything to play for and Saudi apparently just about deserved the win in an otherwise poor game.

Egypt had a really disappointing tournament. Saudi Arabia will be happy to go home with 3 points.

We will find out Uruguay & Russia last sixteen pairings later this evening.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/25/2018 4:02:33 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3252
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2018 8:06:08 PM   
shunwick

The last round games of Group B are now complete.

Spain 2 Morocco 2. Great game to watch. Morocco leading twice in the game and a very late second equalizer from Spain. Morocco worked hard but were always in danger of overstepping the mark in terms of tackling and general attitude. Really don't know what to make of Spain. Clearly not firing on all four cylinders at the moment but they go though to the last sixteen. Cracking game to watch.

Iran 1 Portugal 1. Did not see the game as it was simultaneous with the Spain v Morocco game. Ronaldo missed a penalty and very nearly had a red card apparently.

So, both Spain and Portugal limp through to the last sixteen. Spain will play Russia and Portugal will face Uruguay.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3253
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2018 8:32:52 PM   
warspite1

I watched the Portugal vs Iran game and what can one say?

First half was pretty even, Iran playing it safe and were undone by a sublime piece of skill from Queresma.

Second half was a total shambles. It was a bit like being transported back in time to the 70's/80's with all the play-acting and rolling around on the floor.

Its difficult to tell with the Ronaldo incident. One angle made it seem like a bit of a chop with the arm but far from clear cut. Right decision by the referee - especially with the play acting being seen - he would have been justified given the Portuguese the benefit of the doubt. The Ronaldo penalty appeared a little soft too but seem them given. The actual penalty was woeful/good save by the keeper (depending on your view).

The Iran penalty just shows its not a ref problem or a VAR problem - its interpretation. The Australia penalty against Denmark was similar and that was given - yet the BBC pundits were slagging off the ref here for giving this one. FIFA need to clarify what constitutes deliberate handball, what constitutes an arm in an unnatural position etc etc.

One thing is certain - when VAR is employed the game has to stop the clock. Time lost in that game to VAR was a minimum of 5 minutes.

Iran should have won it at the death but the striker fluffed his lines with just the keeper to beat.

One use for VAR going forward. Any player seen rolling around on the floor as though pole-axed for no reason should be slapped across the face with a wet fish.... a wet frozen fish.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/25/2018 8:40:12 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3254
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2018 9:34:20 PM   
shunwick

quote:

One use for VAR going forward. Any player seen rolling around on the floor as though pole-axed for no reason should be slapped across the face with a wet fish.... a wet frozen fish.

Yes. While I have enjoyed many of the games so far in this world Cup, the playacting has sorely tried my patience.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3255
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 1:55:03 PM   
Piteas

My Spain wasn´t a ambitious team. They thought that were already classified for last sixteen... The typical spanish laziness.
Thank goodness that our neighbor screwed up his game

Now we must play against the host. A difficult match because Putin will be in the box But we prefer Russia than Uruguay.

Btw, Portugal... beware of Uruguay.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3256
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 3:59:29 PM   
shunwick

The final round of games in Group C are now complete.

France 0 Denmark 0. And that's 92 minutes of my life that I am never going to get back. At least the French forwards tried to fall over dramatically in the penalty area. That was pretty much the highlight of the game. Both teams qualify for the last sixteen. It is my sincere hope that both teams should burn in hell.

Australia 0 Peru 2. The game I wish I had watched. Feel sorry for Peru. Both Australia and Peru go home.

Last sixteen pairings to be decided later tonight. France top the group with Denmark second.... who cares?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3257
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 4:17:05 PM   
rico21

We are undefeated.
We finish first of our group.
We all know that the France team is bipolar, that is to say, to beat the best team and to be beaten by the worst.
It seems that the coach is decided on a new strategy, victory by boredom!
When I think of all the energy deployed by Napoleon for nothing, he should have tried boredom!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3258
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 5:07:11 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

The final round of games in Group C are now complete.

France 0 Denmark 0. And that's 92 minutes of my life that I am never going to get back. At least the French forwards tried to fall over dramatically in the penalty area. That was pretty much the highlight of the game. Both teams qualify for the last sixteen. It is my sincere hope that both teams should burn in hell.

Australia 0 Peru 2. The game I wish I had watched. Feel sorry for Peru. Both Australia and Peru go home.

Last sixteen pairings to be decided later tonight. France top the group with Denmark second.... who cares?

Best wishes,
Steve

I care :)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3259
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 6:49:46 PM   
warspite1

Messi. Average? No.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3260
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 7:13:26 PM   
Orm

So what has Messi done now?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3261
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 7:25:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

So what has Messi done now?
warspite1

Scored a goal - really great first and second touch to set up a shot and he scored with the third.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3262
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2018 8:02:00 PM   
shunwick

The final round of games in Group D are now complete.

Iceland 1 Croatia 2. Not the game I watched. Iceland pushed Croatia apparently. Croatia top the group.

Nigeria 1 Argentina 2. A game that rescued the day after the France - Denmark excuse for a football match. Argentina probably edged it in the end. Both Argentinian goals were excellent, Messi with the first and Rojo for the second. The Nigerian goal came from a VAR inspired penalty for wrestling in the box. That was probably a bit harsh but defenders will have to learn that they cannot hug strikers in the box.

So, the pairings for the last sixteen:- France v Argentina and Croatia v Denmark.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3263
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 2:34:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Portugal vs Spain was a tasty first class apéritif. France vs Argentina should be...

I hope he can handle it!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3264
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 3:17:49 PM   
rico21

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3265
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 3:55:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

So much debauchery, so much cocaine but he's one of the greatest. I love how he trolled the English in '86 (perfect timing if you ask me) Hand of god ok, but he scored the Goal of the Century!

One of the greatest. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sUJPsohjVM

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3266
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 3:59:08 PM   
Pilsator

Schland !!!

as I said, arrogant, lazy and overconfident.

Well done Mexico, Sweden and Korea We defenitely did not deserve more.

Welcome in the row of former champions being kicked out at the Group Stage

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3267
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 4:01:17 PM   
shunwick

The last round of games in Group F are now complete.

Mexico 0 Sweden 3. Great game to watch - two teams that can show France and Denmark how to play football. Smashing performance by Sweden. They finish top of the group.

Germany 0 South Korea 2. Watch part of this game flipping between the two... Germany are going home. Mexico come second in the group. At least Germany played better than either France or Denmark.

The last sixteen pairings will be decided later today.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3268
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 4:03:27 PM   
ernieschwitz

Say Shunwick, this thing with Denmark and France being worse than any other teams... sounds personal, not very neutral or professional.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3269
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/27/2018 4:08:39 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Say Shunwick, this thing with Denmark and France being worse than any other teams... sounds personal, not very neutral or professional.

The France Denmark game was an obscenity. That is why I am not happy with either team. Both teams have superb players and they conspired to serve up a plate of tripe.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3270
Page:   <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI