Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/3/2018 1:47:54 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

If you guys are hand-painting these 3D graphics, you are a truly...special human beings.

That is precisely what he is doing.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 691
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/3/2018 4:26:54 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

A question probably for Warhorse- how are you guys doing the isometric 3D stuff?

I did some Squad Battles mods for the 3D view, and found I had to 3D model everything, then output to 2D sprite. A huge amount of work (as I had to model everything in 3D first!)- so I wonder at the number of units yo ave to do.

If you guys are hand-painting these 3D graphics, you are a truly...special human beings.

Hello, I use PaintShop Pro X7, redoing most all the graphics, or totally making from scratch, even ones I did for DGVN years ago. Lots of work for sure, all six facings need to be done. Shading is the key! I just do all the 3D units, not much terrain at all, that is Berto's son Chris!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 692
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/3/2018 4:48:20 PM   
Hoplite1963

Hi Mike
Your input is really appriciated. Just doing the 2d UP fiels for CSME is big enough job but what your doing is a truly massive task. BTW now got over the 200 mark and working on the ZPU-4 14.5mm AAMG. the crew served weapons & artillelry files are none spacific and should be usable for a mod for the CSVN game.

Kind regards
Ian

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 693
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/3/2018 8:18:35 PM   
Warhorse

Watcha working on, Ian?!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Hoplite1963)
Post #: 694
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/3/2018 11:14:39 PM   
benpark

Amazing.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 695
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 1:06:22 AM   
76mm

3D looks awesome!

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 696
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 1:25:29 AM   
Warhorse

We are working hard on it for you folks!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 697
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:18:02 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

3D looks awesome!

Thanks Work in progress, still! But we're indeed basically redrawing everything, pretty much no graphics tile from JTCS gets to move to new platform as-is.

While at it, there's the scale change in maps and units, which is depicted quite nicely in the following then-and-now comparison.

JTCS did not have a 3D Zoom-in view, just 3D Normal. With the new engine, 3D Normal remains as-is for hex size, but the hexes are basically done in a manner where buildings are two zoom views (of the old) smaller, and units one zoom view smaller.

JTCS:

CS East Front early ALPHA:

Note also that the new ALPHA screenshot is using CS Middle East terrain, still, while the units are from JTCS. Mike's gonna improve them just like he's done with Middle East and is now doing with Vietnam.

But my main point is that look how (imho) larger the maps look, despite the hexes being of the same size in both screenshots. Things look much more "tactical" now, and taking that grove or what village, or what ever the objective is, looks much more a daunting task now, doesn't it?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 698
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:19:23 AM   
Crossroads

And for comparison, here's the new 3D Zoom-In view from the previous page, again:

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 699
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 10:28:47 AM   
Eagle-FZS

The size comparison between units, houses and trees I found in CS and JTCS not so great. The units were actually too big and the factories far too small. In your Alpha Graphics, it looks much better although I would have done the factory and houses larger make it look more realistic

Dirk Wodrich

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 700
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 11:02:36 AM   
chris_merchant

Amazing work guys!

(in reply to Eagle-FZS)
Post #: 701
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 1:40:08 PM   
jamespcrowley

Yes, excellent work but I also think that the Factory, in particular and the houses generally, need to be larger to look right at this scale.

The factory needs to fill the whole hex IMHO.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to chris_merchant)
Post #: 702
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 3:49:32 PM   
Jason Petho

We're making the 3D terrain graphics more closely resembling "real" scale, not totally, but closer.

As you can see with the screenshot below of the area above, the houses and factory in the new version are more within the scale as opposed to the original EF version.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 7/4/2018 3:50:37 PM >

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 703
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 5:00:24 PM   
Warhorse

The problem is not the scale of the buildings, but the vehicles and other units, am already working with a very few amount of pixels, if we made them to scale, would only be a couple pixels, nothing to look at at all!! We do what we can, Panzer Corps and others are at what a KM or so per hex or more, and the vehicles fill the whole hex!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 704
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:21:08 PM   
benpark

The scaling looks great to me-maybe up 25% with the factory and the smaller structures if needed. It will be nice to finally use the "special" tiles, like the factory in the map editor.

One for the wishlist- maybe one slot in the "specials" terrain area (like the factory) for modders that want to add a specific building to a scenario that they make the graphic for.

< Message edited by benpark -- 7/4/2018 6:22:40 PM >

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 705
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:42:55 PM   
Deepstuff3725

That smaller scale you guys chose looks great, in my opinion. I like how the factory does not cover the whole hex, but that's just my take on it. Could you perhaps offer different scale sizes of factories?

And I agree with benpark, any way for us to make our own factories and do some modding of terrain on our own would be very cool. I like putting scenarios together, so being able to create the buildings and structures to look the way I want in a scenario would be great.

Perhaps have a "terrain editor" in the game and have a site where fans can create and upload terrain tiles, and we can go in and download them to use in the game? Just an idea, if it's not feasible no prob.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 706
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:48:36 PM   
Warhorse

You are able to mod the graphics files! Then use them in JSGME to swap in and out.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Deepstuff3725)
Post #: 707
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:53:57 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

You are able to mod the graphics files! Then use them in JSGME to swap in and out.

Indeed, there's quite a few mods included in the install, all located at the /Mods folder. Have a look at them, see how they're put together, and try creating a mod yourself. Start small, end big

Also, have a look at our Mods and Scenarios forum, and the stickied posts there. Lots of stuff to get you started, hopefully!

edit typos

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 7/4/2018 6:54:45 PM >

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 708
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 6:59:49 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoplite1963

Hi Mike
Your input is really appriciated. Just doing the 2d UP fiels for CSME is big enough job but what your doing is a truly massive task. BTW now got over the 200 mark and working on the ZPU-4 14.5mm AAMG. the crew served weapons & artillelry files are none spacific and should be usable for a mod for the CSVN game.

Kind regards
Ian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Watcha working on, Ian?!

THIS

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 709
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 7:07:57 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoplite1963

Hi Mike

Kind regards
Ian

Geez, been so busy your project slipped in under the radar on me!!! Looks good what you did so far, really needed done and we were not allowed, unless I went in and hand made all those as well, thanks for your effort!!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Hoplite1963)
Post #: 710
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 7:35:47 PM   
BigDuke66

Looks really great!

Back to Vietnam. Just wonder what kind of air support is depicted on and off map. Screenshots already showed helicopter on map but will FOs be on map too?
And what about really special AS like B52s? Wouldn't they need to be handled differently compared to "normal" air support if they can plaster large areas?

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 711
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 7:38:56 PM   
berto

I'm not a fan of making the buildings any bigger. For one thing, larger buildings would make trees seem like mere bushes. It's a delicate balancing act, scaling each graphic component one to the other. I think we have it about right.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 712
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 8:03:22 PM   
Warhorse

+1

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 713
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 9:55:00 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Any chance some day, way down the road, we might see a CS: Modern Warfare? I'd like to put together and play scenarios with US and coalition forces going up against different insurgents and terrorist groups, being able to use toys like the M1 Abrams tank, A-10s and F-18s, US Navy Seal teams, etc.

Jeff

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 714
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 10:01:10 PM   
Jason Petho

...way down the road.

East Front III, West Front II, Pacific Front and Cold War (in that order) are on the schedule before anything else.

Post #: 715
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/4/2018 10:24:57 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Sounds great.

I'll buy them all :)

Post #: 716
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 7/5/2018 5:39:15 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Any chance some day, way down the road, we might see a CS: Modern Warfare? I'd like to put together and play scenarios with US and coalition forces going up against different insurgents and terrorist groups, being able to use toys like the M1 Abrams tank, A-10s and F-18s, US Navy Seal teams, etc.

Jeff

CS: Cold War is definitively something I am looking forward too! I've got plenty of Cold-War-Gone-Hot boardgames, can't wait to play some scenarios on CS engine as well

Post #: 717
RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun - 7/5/2018 9:24:03 AM   
jamespcrowley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

We're making the 3D terrain graphics more closely resembling "real" scale, not totally, but closer.

As you can see with the screenshot below of the area above, the houses and factory in the new version are more within the scale as opposed to the original EF version.

Very good! I stand corrected.

Cheers

Jim

Post #: 718
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 7/5/2018 11:03:42 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamespcrowley

Very good! I stand corrected.

Here's an earlier snippet Jason posted a while ago at our internal Dev Forum, when we were looking at the scale and how to adapt the various graphics to it. As Jason noted, we opted to go towards the "true scale", but not that far.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Quick graphic showing relative sizes within a 250 metre hex.

Anyone interested to see the CS Middle East graphics per the picture above should check out MausMan's 3D Graphics mod, available as part of the install, in the Mods folder. Fire up your JSGME in give it a try!

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 719
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 7/5/2018 11:05:14 AM   
Crossroads

^^ I mean, even the 2D map art is not done to that scale, just too small to match the tactical "look and feel" we want to achieve with the map aesthetics.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: NVA Heavy Machinegun Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI