Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 9:51:58 PM   
Encircled

quote:

However, in a time of Brexit and terrible governmental leadership regardless of which side of that issue you sit on, it might do some good for the English to win it.

Might do that I suppose, but lets be realistic here, a WC win for England isn't going to change the mess we are in at the moment.

(Apologies for quasi political post, please delete if a problem)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 121
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/8/2018 11:13:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

quote:

However, in a time of Brexit and terrible governmental leadership regardless of which side of that issue you sit on, it might do some good for the English to win it.

Might do that I suppose, but lets be realistic here, a WC win for England isn't going to change the mess we are in at the moment.

(Apologies for quasi political post, please delete if a problem)

Hardly controversial - the world recognizes messes easily enough, it's what to do about them that gets people shouting.
But winning the WC could be a nice, if brief, diversion from the mess. Good luck with both!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 122
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/9/2018 10:37:54 AM   
patrickl

Hope is England vs France final. Let loose the young Mustangs!!

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 123
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/10/2018 9:38:32 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

France vs England?

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 124
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 1:27:22 PM   
Yaab

France have beaten Argentina, Uruguay, and Belgium
England have beaten... Lucky Modric? We shall see today...

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 125
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 4:52:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

France have beaten Argentina, Uruguay, and Belgium
England have beaten... Lucky Modric? We shall see today...
warspite1

England haven't even made the final - we are playing Croatia - so to put it another way:

Croatia have beaten Denmark (ranked 19) and Russia (ranked 65 - the lowest ranked team at the World Cup)
England have beaten Colombia (ranked 13) and Sweden (ranked 25)

And I think you are looking at it too much on 'names' and not actual quality at the time of this World Cup.

So France beat Argentina? - yes they did, but this was the Argentina that struggled to qualify for the World Cup in the first place and then scraped, by the skin of their teeth, to get out of their Group. France did well to beat Uruguay and very well to beat Belgium. As said previously, if Germany, Argentina and Portugal/Spain had performed as expected then England would have had to beat two of them. But they didn't.....

We shall see today, and based on England's record I would be surprised if they beat Croatia, but whatever the score tonight, the whole England have been lucky stuff is just so overplayed and actually not true.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 126
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 8:46:40 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Well... what can I say...

The first 65 minutes England was much better and they had so many almost 100% goal chances... but then after 65 minutes they simply faded away and completely different game started... the next 55 minutes Croatia was better... well deserved victory...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 127
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 8:48:35 PM   
Encircled

Yup, over the 120 minutes best team won. But we should have taken those chances in the first half, but hey, these things happen.

Its, er, not coming home

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 128
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 8:48:55 PM   
tomamars

Incredible Croatia does it again!!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 129
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 8:56:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Well... what can I say...

The first 65 minutes England was much better and they had so many almost 100% goal chances... but then after 65 minutes they simply faded away and completely different game started... the next 55 minutes Croatia was better... well deserved victory...

Leo "Apollo11"
warspite1

Congratulations Leo - although I would dispute one part of that comment. We never came out for the second half. Croatia took it to us and grew in confidence and energy as England (supposedly younger and fitter ) wilted and Walker and Stones in particular became walking accidents waiting to happen. Class won through and Croatia deservedly made the final. England were a creativity free zone.

Sorry but I want France in the final because of Hugo

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 130
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 8:59:07 PM   
Zorch

What would Bobby Charlton (or Busby!) say?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 131
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 9:01:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Well as for Bobby Charlton, I don't know you'll have to ask him, but Sir Matt is probably too dead to talk about the game right now - and probably couldn't give a toss anyway as he was Scottish

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 132
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 9:08:22 PM   
warspite1

Big shout out for Little Tripps - the best right back at the tournament - and Pickford did very well too.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 133
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 9:20:49 PM   
GetAssista

Congrats to all our Croatians (quite a lot for such a small forum, eh ).

That was a great team performance! And I will root for you in the finals

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 134
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 9:40:18 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Well as for Bobby Charlton, I don't know you'll have to ask him, but Sir Matt is probably too dead to talk about the game right now - and probably couldn't give a toss anyway as he was Scottish

I didn't know Charlton was still with us. He should have given them a pep talk at halftime.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 135
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/11/2018 10:41:43 PM   
Anachro

England should have won, but they sat back after the early goal and let Croatia push forward. Shame. Grats to Croatia though; definitely rooting for them against France.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 136
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 1:20:11 AM   
patrickl

That Stones defender was just too relaxed. He let the team down.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 137
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 6:45:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

That Stones defender was just too relaxed. He let the team down.
warspite1

I think given the England team performance in the second half it would be unfair to single out Stones. Whilst he was slow to react for the goal, the fact was that England's tactics in the second half and beyond simply invited Croatian pressure. With only one team attacking and with no counter-attacking threat ourselves it was only a matter of time.

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 138
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 7:29:28 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Thanks guys!

quote:

Congratulations Leo - although I would dispute one part of that comment. We never came out for the second half. Croatia took it to us and grew in confidence and energy as England (supposedly younger and fitter ) wilted and Walker and Stones in particular became walking accidents waiting to happen. Class won through and Croatia deservedly made the final. England were a creativity free zone.

I really don't understand what happened to England team in last 60 minutes of the game (i.e. 2nd total half because game lasted 90+30=120 minutes)...

They played well at start and had so many chances... it could have been 0:2 or 0:3 after first 45 minutes... but then they simply faded away...

How come? They are all young and full of strength...

quote:

ORIGINAL:warspite1

I think given the England team performance in the second half it would be unfair to single out Stones. Whilst he was slow to react for the goal, the fact was that England's tactics in the second half and beyond simply invited Croatian pressure. With only one team attacking and with no counter-attacking threat ourselves it was only a matter of time.

BTW, our commentators singled out your defender Kyle Walker as weakest link...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 139
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 2:09:51 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

A Belgian guy walks into a French bar and orders 1 Coca Cola Light.
The bartender apologizes "Sorry, we don't have Coca Light - but you can have 1 Zero."

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/12/2018 2:10:35 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 140
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 5:15:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Thanks guys!

quote:

I really don't understand what happened to England team in last 60 minutes of the game (i.e. 2nd total half because game lasted 90+30=120 minutes)...

They played well at start and had so many chances... it could have been 0:2 or 0:3 after first 45 minutes... but then they simply faded away...

How come? They are all young and full of strength...

quote:

ORIGINAL:warspite1

BTW, our commentators singled out your defender Kyle Walker as weakest link...

Leo "Apollo11"

warspite1

Well I don't know what sort of half time instruction Southgate gave to the team but we've been here so many times with England, I suspect it doesn't matter what he said and England simply reverted to type.

I remember under Erikson the plan was usually the same. Score early and then sit back and allow the opposition to win through our inability to keep possession and threaten the opposition after the 45th minute.

The comment re Walker was probably fair - he always has a mistake in him (for club and country) - as does Stones. It's why if the instruction was to sit back then it was the wrong call.

But who knows what really happened and why it keeps happening to England? Fact is we got what we deserved and we're out.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 141
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 10:18:05 PM   
Graymane

Walker lost the plot the minute he got that stupid yellow card. He simply fell apart after that to include giving up the equalizer. When you have one of the best strikers in the world playing 20-30 yards deep in the mid-field and one of your defenders pushing the ball up to the midfield, you can tell things aren't going well. Why would they do that? Well because their midfield thought the best way to play was to turn around and come up with creative (and oftentimes bad) ways to pass the ball back to the keeper. To top it off, they play with a striker that can't score, but of course, he runs a lot. Not only can't score, can't even get a shot on goal. They should have used their subs a lot sooner.

You know, sometimes things just don't fall your way. England dominated the game up to the equalizer. They should have easily been up 3-0.
Croatia could barely get out of their own half. One beautiful cross and a frankly lucky foot stuck out to redirect and Croatia was like a new team. You could see the life just go right out of England.

All in all though, I thought England did well in this world cup, 3rd/4th is nothing to sneeze at. Far better than recent performances. They lack creativity in the final third and rely far too much on set pieces. They don't have a Modric or a De Bruyne. But they are a young team and will be back. I expect them to do well in the Euros. Youth is the ticket. England, Belgium, France, etc all had young teams and doing well. Old teams failed. Argentina, Spain, Germany, etc.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 142
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/12/2018 10:48:36 PM   
patrickl

Yes, being young has its advantages. England lost this time foolishly but they got to change their mindset for the better. If not all the assets would be wasted.

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 143
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/15/2018 5:06:25 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Congrats to all French supporters!

Unfortunately my team lost... they played well for the first 60-odd minutes but I knew that our luck has finally run out after first two goals... great squads (and French are most certainly that) can lead even without playing good... after that weariness and pressure to catch opponent lead to mistakes and inevitable defeat...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 144
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/15/2018 5:55:30 PM   
Orm

Congratulations Croatia on second place. Well deserved.

Worthy performance in the final. I hope to see more of the Croatians in the Euros in two years time.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 145
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/15/2018 5:55:44 PM   
Orm

Congratulations, France.

Well deserved.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 146
RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 - 7/28/2018 9:07:33 AM   
Yaab

Two things in the wake of Russia World Cup 2018

First, Japan losing 2:3 to Belgium can be linked to poor damage control. Shokaku, Zuikaku, Lukaku.

Second, the forgotten World Cup 1942
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ZpaA5XahU

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 147
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI