Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 4:49:13 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

"The film is based upon a true incident. The caper was covered in a book called “Nazi Gold: The Sensational Story of the World’s Greatest Robbery – and the Greatest Criminal Cover-Up” by Ian Sayer and Douglas Botting. The heist was perpetrated by a combination of renegade Nazi and American officers. It was also listed as the “biggest” robbery ever in the Guinness Book of Records, in the 1960’s."

32 things you didn’t know about Kelly’s Heroes –

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/31/43655/

They got at least one "fact" wrong - the Deuce and a Half truck was rated for 2½ tons cross-country, but could carry 5 tons on good roads.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 31
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 6:48:36 PM   
Canoerebel

A movie can be beautifully done in all respects except fidelity to historical setting/feel and many viewers will enjoy it. They'll do so either because they aren't familiar with the historical setting or it doesn't matter to them. Thus an educated viewer like Obvert appreciates Thine Red Line or many of you enjoy Kellys Heroes.

Some of us cannot enjoy a movie if the topic or acting isn't appropriate to the setting - no matter the quality of the acting or the cinetography or the musical score. Fidelity to history is critical to our enjoyment - a sense that we have a duty to the past to tell history faithfully. In that context, Kellys Heroes is an abomination.

You gents have nominated many good movies, such as Tora! Tora! Tora!, A Bridge to Far, Bridge on the River Kwai. Those are good movies. There are others, too.

But I suppose my favorite WWII movie - not really a war movie, but it is - would be Casablanca. That has everything we like - actors, cinematography, musical score, fidelity to the time and setting. Above all, it has Ingrid Berman. There is a moment in Rick's, while Lazlo leads Les Marsellais, that Ingrid looks at Lazlo with the kind of admiration that any man would desire.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 32
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 7:27:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Some of us cannot enjoy a movie if the topic or acting isn't appropriate to the setting - no matter the quality of the acting or the cinetography or the musical score. Fidelity to history is critical to our enjoyment - a sense that we have a duty to the past to tell history faithfully.

warspite1

+1000

Sometimes - but all too rarely - Hollywood gets the whole package right; acting, script, historical accuracy, cinematography, the whole package.

Greatest WWII Movie - EVER? I thought nothing could top Schindler's List for cinematic, story-telling and acting brilliance...and then I watched Pearl Harbor

God bless ya Rafe

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/3/2018 7:30:58 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 7:30:26 PM   
Canoerebel

Warpsite, yes! Schindler's List is magnificent. I should've put it first, ahead of Casablanca.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 8:04:25 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Greatest WWII Movie - EVER? I thought nothing could top Schindler's List for cinematic, story-telling and acting brilliance...and then I watched Pearl Harbor

I do enjoy a good Kate Beckinsale flick every now and then.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 8:25:48 PM   
Dixie

Not sure if they're the "best" films but I like them.

Das Boot
The Battle of Britain
Ice Cold in Alex
Letters from Iwo Jima

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 36
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 8:54:27 PM   
pmelheck1

I always enjoyed Kelly's Heros not because it's a war movie but because it's fun movie with a war setting. Gone with the wind comes to mind. Movies are normally not historical documentaries. Some of us are pleasantly surprised when they come close. Another fun few for me are Air Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GV5BxPR0sU, Run Silent Run Deep, Sink the Bismarck, Battle of Britain. To me these are fun movies to watch and i'm not concerned that the stamp on the back of some ones belt buckle isn't correct for the production line that produced it. Even a lot of documentaries can't get things right and these are supposed to be correct. I get unhappy when the phrase "inspired by" is used and then they call the movie accurate to details of the battle/mission. Final Countdown can be fun to watch without being unhappy because the USS Nimitz wasn't in WW2 although we all know it was because a movie said it was...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 37
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 9:50:20 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: pmelheck1

I always enjoyed Kelly's Heros not because it's a war movie but because it's fun movie with a war setting. Gone with the wind comes to mind. Movies are normally not historical documentaries. Some of us are pleasantly surprised when they come close. Another fun few for me are Air Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GV5BxPR0sU, Run Silent Run Deep, Sink the Bismarck, Battle of Britain. To me these are fun movies to watch and i'm not concerned that the stamp on the back of some ones belt buckle isn't correct for the production line that produced it. Even a lot of documentaries can't get things right and these are supposed to be correct. I get unhappy when the phrase "inspired by" is used and then they call the movie accurate to details of the battle/mission. Final Countdown can be fun to watch without being unhappy because the USS Nimitz wasn't in WW2 although we all know it was because a movie said it was...

Where Eagles Dare, for the music alone. And Clint Eastwood is playing second fiddle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XKGhG0W0LQ

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 38
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:09:18 PM   
John 3rd

It 'appears' I started something with this thread.

Must say 'so, sorry!'

NOT!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 39
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:27:29 PM   
Canoerebel

John III <~~~~~~Troll

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 40
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:43:49 PM   
Timotheus

The answer, of course, is the greatest WW2 movie of all time.
Polish comedy "How I started WW2".

Short clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik

The last answer is: "so and so town from so and so province / voivodeship".

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 9/3/2018 11:46:01 PM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 41
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/3/2018 11:55:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Where Eagles Dare, for the music alone. And Clint Eastwood is playing second fiddle.

For those fans of debauchery and WWII movies, may I recommend: Where Eagles Dare-the drinking game.

Mr. Roper, consider the gauntlet dropped.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 42
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 12:25:41 AM   
Timotheus

Are only American war movies allowed?

That limits the field considerably.

Best American WW2 movie is "Cross of Iron", director Sam Peckinpah.

Best American Vietnam war movie is "Siege of Firebase Gloria".

Honorable mention goes to "One Man's Hero" about how Catholic Irish soldiers were treated in American army and why they decided to go over to defend Catholic Mexico which was just attacked in the USA war of conquest/aggression 1846-48 (war which Mexico obviously lost and which made the USA grow quite a bit).

I have tons of interesting non-American war movies, but I doubt this crew would be interested in any of them. Oh well.

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 43
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 1:22:05 AM   
NigelKentarus

The other night on TV was Run Silent, Run Deep. Not very accurate, but I watched it anyway. I haven't seen Kelly's Heroes in quite awhile.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 44
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 1:53:09 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

For those fans of debauchery and WWII movies, may I recommend: Where Eagles Dare-the drinking game.

Mr. Roper, consider the gauntlet dropped.

The cast indulging in a little drinking.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 12:00:08 PM   
LeeChard

Nobody has mentioned 'Cross of Iron'. I liked it a lot.
James Coburn as the grizzled sarge and I think it was James Mason as the medal seeking officer.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 46
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 1:14:20 PM   
Lovejoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

Nobody has mentioned 'Cross of Iron'. I liked it a lot.
James Coburn as the grizzled sarge and I think it was James Mason as the medal seeking officer.

I think it was Maximillian Schnell who was the medal seeking officer (who never figured out how to reload his MP-40). I liked it a lot as well.

I've liked most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread. I'm also partial to Ronald Maxwell's Gettysburg.

< Message edited by Lovejoy -- 9/4/2018 1:15:55 PM >

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 47
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 2:26:34 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

The other night on TV was Run Silent, Run Deep. Not very accurate, but I watched it anyway. I haven't seen Kelly's Heroes in quite awhile.

When I served in a submarine the wardroom had a inside-baseball way of making a newbie shut-up-and-sit-down when they got a little beyond their experience level. Somebody with gold dolphins would shout "There I was in the Bungo Strait! The bottom was coming up fast!" The newbie, fried to the bone, would sink into silence. How do I know this? Hmmm . . .

RSRD is the best submarine novel ever written. It was a pretty good movie. Not accurate much, but fun to watch. My boat even had a cook named Russo, so that scene was not so fun for him.

To the point that "Kelly's Heroes" is a bank heist flick with a WWII setting, I would add that the best "Romeo and Juliet" I ever saw was the 1990s flick with Claire and Leonardo that is set in modern day LA. And MASH (the movie) wasn't about the Korean War either.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/4/2018 4:15:26 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 48
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 3:22:00 PM   
Lecivius

"Will you knock it off with them negative waves! Think positive thoughts. It's a BEAUTIFUL bridge, and it'll be there."

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 49
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 3:57:54 PM   
AcePylut

Pearl Harbor ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuz, oh, nevermind, you all know why it is the greatest cinematic slice of heaven, ever!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 50
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 4:51:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
To the point that "Kelly's Heroes" is a bank heist flick with a WWII setting, I would add that the best "Romeo and Juliet" I ever saw was the 1990s flick with Claire and Leonardo that is set in modern day LA. And MASH (the movie) wasn't about the Korean War either.

And Akira Kurosawa's version of King Lear in Ran was the best rendition as well.

Post #: 51
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 5:09:47 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

And Akira Kurosawa's version of King Lear in Ran was the best rendition as well.

Yep. Shakespeare is remarkably mobile. "The Tempest" has ended up in several other works. "Midsummer" as well. I'm sure other plays use pieces and portions. Will is a rich store of archetypes and human situations.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 52
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 6:46:40 PM   
Canoerebel

Dickens is mobile too. The modern version of Great Expectations (with Gwyneth Paltrow) was well done.

Post #: 53
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 6:54:33 PM   
rustysi

quote:

"logistics?? We've got logistics comin' out of our a**es!!"

The quote is a bit off, it should read, "out of our ears!!"

quote:

Maybe he's a Republican!

Movie was full of great 'one liners'.

quote:

It's a 70's heist/comedy movie with more than a touch of 60's social commentary filmed in a surprisingly authentic WWII setting, pure and simple.

Sums it up.

quote:

Yeah, but Telly is in it … Who loves you baby!

Not in the movie, but a great quote.

quote:

"The film is based upon a true incident.

A first for me, and I'll hold comment until or if I investigate it further.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 54
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 6:59:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dickens is mobile too. The modern version of Great Expectations (with Gwyneth Paltrow) was well done.

Not G-R-A-T-E expectations? By Dikkens with two 'k's? The well-known Dutch author?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 7:32:14 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Another like - Devil's Brigade.

And here's one I know to be based on history, although I didn't think so when I first viewed it. Mount La Defensa my... I'm sure there's a lot of Hollywood in there as well.

But, I did see the documentary. I'll be damned, Mount La Defensa! At the time it came out, who knew? Certainly not I.

quote:

yes! Schindler's List is magnificent.

Great movie, but difficult to watch again and again.

quote:

Casablanca.

Actually a love story set during war, but a great movie as well.

quote:

The answer, of course, is the greatest WW2 movie of all time.
Polish comedy "How I started WW2".

Could be, but I've never seen it. We don't get too many Polish movies over here.

quote:

Are only American war movies allowed?

No. IIRC Das Boot isn't an American movie. It did flop over here, until they dubbed it.

quote:

And MASH (the movie) wasn't about the Korean War either.

Seriously..... Then again, neither was the series.

On a final note, and I think its been said, Kelly's Hero's isn't a war movie. Its a comedy/heist set in a war footing, and to me a least its one that has a great cast and is hilarious.

As for my favorite war movie? Difficult to say, but since you've asked I would have to say Patton.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 56
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/4/2018 8:39:29 PM   
Skyros

El Alamein: The Line of Fire an Italian movie about the battle is worth checking out just because it is from the Italian perspective. Well done story that really shows the misery of serving in the desert. I think it was on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 57
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/5/2018 1:42:20 AM   
NigelKentarus

Casablanca! My absolute favorite Bogie movie of all times. Although African Queen is a close second.

Not Bogie, but does anyone remember a movie about a BIG cannon? I can't remember much about it but I think it was set during the Napoleanic Era. I saw the movie on TV when I was a kid and all I can remember were the soldiers moving this gigantic siege gun.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 58
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/5/2018 2:02:17 AM   
spence

I remember the movie - it starred Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren though I can't remember the exact title. It think the title was something akin to The Pride and the Passion". Oops turns out it was Cary Grant. I guess Frank Sinatra was in it but I must have been distracted by Sophia Loren.

Speaking of Gregory Peck the greatest (American) WW2 movie ever made is "12 O'clock High".
When (Major) Harvey Stovall walks onto the long abandoned runway and starts to clean his glasses and is transported back to 1942 as he (seems to) hears engines cough in to motion I find a lump forming in my throat as I think back to my own service and remember the people I served with.

BTW for you youngsters: although 1940s movie rules prevented much of the gore one finds in today's movies there's a real crash landing of a B-17.

< Message edited by spence -- 9/5/2018 2:07:36 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 59
RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! - 9/5/2018 9:28:21 AM   
Encircled

No mention of "The Cruel Sea"?

That Where Eagles Dare drinking game wouldn't be half as much fun if you couldn't drink until Clint Eastwood reloads.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Greatest WWII Movie--EVER! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI