Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/2/2019 11:05:38 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Just rewatched the original Blade Runner as background context for watching Bladerunner 2049 later this week. I haven't seen the original in 30 years. It's aged well and I appreciated aspects of the humanity more than I used to. For it's time it also had very immersive ambience and cinematography.

You should watch this before seeing the (excellent IMHO) new Blade Runner; it bridges the gap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP1YpQSGhQ
Which version of the original did you watch?

Cool! Thanks for the link.

We watched the Director's version. Different ending than the theatrical release, but same basic premise.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2941
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/2/2019 1:10:54 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just rewatched the original Blade Runner as background context for watching Bladerunner 2049 later this week. I haven't seen the original in 30 years. It's aged well and I appreciated aspects of the humanity more than I used to. For it's time it also had very immersive ambience and cinematography.

You should watch this before seeing the (excellent IMHO) new Blade Runner; it bridges the gap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP1YpQSGhQ
Which version of the original did you watch?

Cool! Thanks for the link.

We watched the Director's version. Different ending than the theatrical release, but same basic premise.

The director's cut implies Decker was a replicant, but revisit this after you see 2049...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2942
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/2/2019 2:54:02 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

The director's cut implies Decker was a replicant, but revisit this after you see 2049...

I don’t know. After watching 2049 I felt that the ambiguity of Deckart’s nature was preserved. Nothing in the movie points towards a definite answer.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 1/2/2019 2:55:01 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2943
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/4/2019 5:43:52 AM   
warspite1

I'm certainly looking forward to this - although suspect it will be a bit of a weepy.... These two provide very fond memories of growing up.

Stan & Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdcBNrjc3wo

Attachment (1)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2944
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/4/2019 11:49:06 PM   
timmyab

Can recommend 'Journey's end'. A 2018 film adaptation of R.C Sherriff's stage play.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2945
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/5/2019 7:43:53 AM   
warspite1

Speaking of WWI, I finally got round to watching 100 Days to Victory. This was a BBC two-parter that told the story of the last 100 days of the Great War and the Allied response to 'Kaiserschlacht'; the initially successful German offensive that had the Allies fearing they'd lose the war.

A strange one this. Reasonably well done in the story telling department, aided by the usual talking heads, diary reading and brief cameos of actions. No idea who the actors were but the accents were often weird!?

But the argument put forward was somewhat strange. Essentially that after 4 years of stalemate, the war was won by the Australians (led by Monash) and Canadians (led by Currie) - with a little help from a Scottish division - note the Scottish also seemed to be the only ones employed by the Royal Air Force (sic) and the Royal Tank Regiment.

The Kiwis and the Americans got a passing mention a couple of times in the operation as did 'other British'. But apart from having Foch in charge it is unclear what the French were actually doing in those last 100 days.

This was worth watching if one wanted a general overview of how troublesome the Kaiserschlacht operation was, and the way the Allies responded. But it's central theme cheapened the value of the production.

That is not to say I dismiss the involvement of the Dominions and their effect (far from it) - but there was shall we say, a distinct lack of balance. It has certainly picqued my interest and will look to read more about this.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2019 7:45:27 AM >

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 2946
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/9/2019 6:50:06 AM   
warspite1

Just watched a three part series on the Earth's Great Rivers - focusing on the Amazon, the Nile and the Mississippi. Excellent series - the footage of the wildlife was just incredible - and the scenery - wow!

Thoroughly recommended .

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2947
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/9/2019 6:53:48 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Les Miserables - this is a 6-parter from the BBC and not a musical. First episode was very good. Great cast.

warspite1

I don't know this story - having never seen the stage musical, the film or read the book - so that probably helps, but this is gripping drama and episode 2 was...... absolutely brutal. I get the feeling there is no happy ending in sight anywhere!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2948
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2019 7:05:21 PM   
Orm

I just re-watched The Empire Strikes Back.

And I just noticed that all the evil, cool guys speak English. Or rather British English. While the cool, good guys all speak American English. I wonder if one should read something into that?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2949
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/15/2019 6:25:31 PM   
warspite1

True Detective Series 3

Series 1 was excellent, series 2....not so much, but the first episode of series 3 suggests this could be better even than the 1st series. A really good start.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/15/2019 6:27:18 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2950
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/16/2019 10:03:31 AM   
nicwb

quote:

True Detective Series 3

Series 1 was excellent, series 2....not so much, but the first episode of series 3 suggests this could be better even than the 1st series. A really good start.

just saw the first and second episodes -screened back to back -definitely worth watching the rest.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2951
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/16/2019 5:28:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

True Detective Series 3

just saw the first and second episodes -screened back to back -definitely worth watching the rest.
warspite1

Good to know thank-you .

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2952
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/20/2019 2:23:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I'm certainly looking forward to this - although suspect it will be a bit of a weepy.... These two provide very fond memories of growing up.

Stan & Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdcBNrjc3wo

warspite1

I saw this today. For those of a certain age I thoroughly recommend it. The performances from Reilly and Coogan were incredible.

Brought back many happy memories of childhood and also a major tear to the eye.... Superb film.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2953
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/23/2019 10:26:22 AM   
redcoat

I've been watching the Blowing Up History documentaries on Quest.

They can be watched online as well:

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/blowing-up-history

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2954
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/24/2019 6:43:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

I've been watching the Blowing Up History documentaries on Quest.

They can be watched online as well:

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/blowing-up-history

warspite1

Looks interesting - I will have to give these a look.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2955
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/24/2019 11:03:29 AM   
AndreyBailey

This weekend I will be watching Bumblebee movie

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2956
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/24/2019 6:21:58 PM   
Orm

Watching season one of Sunderland 'Til I Die.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to AndreyBailey)
Post #: 2957
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/27/2019 11:09:05 PM   
demyansk

I just watched Chapter 27, about killing of John Lennon. Now, watching this movie on Jim Jones on Amazon. This guy was a maniac, I remember when this happened, 40 years ago.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2958
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/30/2019 8:46:14 AM   
bazjak

Sorry
Wrong place

< Message edited by bazjak -- 1/30/2019 8:47:21 AM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2959
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/30/2019 4:10:25 PM   
warspite1

A few series on the go/just finished at present:

Les Miserables They say this is one of the finest books written. Well I hope Victor Hugo did a better job at making the Policeman's almost psychopathic interest in catching Jean Valjean more believeable in his book. I mean don't get me wrong, this is a very good production with a great cast - but this does stick out a tad as it doesn't seem plausible.... One more episode left - thoroughly recommended

The First About the first manned trip to Mars in the near future. I stuck with it but at the end of the series was kind of asking myself why I bothered? Made worse by the fact that series 2 is likely to be on Netflix.....Natasha McElhone still looks good though

The Passage Only one episode in but so far so good

True Detective Series 3. Back on form after the slight deviation in series 2. Look forward to this every week.

Cleaning Up A bit of an evening filler from ITV. Okay entertainment and Sheridan Smith is a decent actress, but no more than that.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/30/2019 4:12:06 PM >

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 2960
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/31/2019 8:26:32 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

True Detective Series 3

I read an interview with "Mr. Netflix" where he, basically, took responsibility for the drop in quality in series 2. Series 1 was so successful that he ordered series 2 to be made with a very strict deadline. That was the mistake. He told that, thus, series 3 would be ready when it was ready. I'm getting a good vibe from this.

True Detective 3 and The Punisher 2. I guess that my evenings will be booked for a while

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 1/31/2019 8:31:08 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2961
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/2/2019 6:40:59 PM   
Orm

Mr Netflix? I thought that show was on HBO?

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2962
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/4/2019 6:23:36 AM   
AndreyBailey

Hello guys I didn't watch A Quiet Place film. Now thinking to watch A Quiet Place horror movie because I hear its also one of the best horror movie to watch.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2963
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2019 6:33:28 AM   
warspite1

Das Boot

Sky have re-made this classic. Watched the first episode and..... so far so very, very good!

Good cast, good feel to the production- the Germans talk German - and the story is not a simple re-hash of the original. There is a French resistance 'thing' seemingly going on too.

Really looking forward to the rest of this - and a second series is apparently in the offing

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/7/2019 6:36:54 AM >

(in reply to AndreyBailey)
Post #: 2964
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2019 6:37:39 AM   
zakblood

hope it sticks true to the original version which was a classic and doesn't Hollywood it up with sex scenes or young unknown naked ladies to make it more popular just to get more viewers

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2965
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2019 6:52:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

hope it sticks true to the original version which was a classic and doesn't Hollywood it up with sex scenes or young unknown naked ladies to make it more popular just to get more viewers
warspite1

Well as said, it is not a simple re-make of the original classic. There is a French Resistance/Gestapo element that wasn't in the original - and this looks interesting. There has been some nudity - I can't recall if there was nudity in the original where they visited the brothel the night before sailing - but either way I don't think that exactly detracts from the story.

Hollywood it up? Well the opening sequence shows a u-boat being attacked and ultimately sinking. After the u-boat vanishes into the depths the action moves to her tormentors - and these turn out to be US destroyers (and what looks like a Sunderland flying boat). I don't think that is Hollywooding it up (I think its supposed to be 1943 - EDIT - no the article attached states autumn 1942).

Here is a review - looks to have gone down very well in Germany and Italy. And I wondered where I'd seen the Gestapo officer - he was in Game of Thrones!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-02-06/das-boot-tv-series-uk-sky-atlantic-day-date-time-channel-plot/

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/7/2019 7:04:56 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2966
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2019 7:23:33 AM   
zakblood

for me i just get into something, no matter type, and then after a series or 2, it goes off topic and enters in nudes for nudes sake, kind of like trying to keep something popular with a given age group etc, which just puts me off, as i want story first and foremost so will look out for it thanks

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2967
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/8/2019 1:44:26 AM   
nicwb

"Das Boot"

The Tv series has already shown where I live - good news and bad news & hopefully no spoilers - there is some nudity - not much though (using the Game of Thrones scale). The storyline isn't based on the movie -it's actually a composite of two books by the same author - "Das Boot" and "Die Festung". The latter deals with life in one of the occupied French U-Boat ports.

A couple of the mid-series U-Boat episodes are quite good. The author actually did one trip on a U-Boat as a journalist during the war.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2968
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/8/2019 2:04:23 AM   
balto

Nudity.., I might check this one out.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2969
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/8/2019 2:08:46 AM   
balto

All 12 Seasons of Trailer Park Boys. Best entertainment on television I have ever seen. WARNING - only intellectual types such as myself would understand this.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 2970
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI