Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/7/2018 9:37:48 PM   
sPzAbt653

I am stunned by your speed and precision. It looks awesome !

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 61
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/8/2018 11:58:31 PM   
SIPRES

I use Map scanner, wich made a good part of the job.
I slightly change the map as I had to change the reference map. (see the latest in the separate new thread)

I will update coastlines (maptiles.dat), then in case you do some work on the Cgn file, you will have to import hextiles, it normally should not impact all others parameters.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 62
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/15/2018 12:29:45 PM   
SIPRES

Map enlarged to include Murmansk, Baku.
South aera of map also extended to allow better North Africa Deployement

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 63
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/15/2018 4:29:39 PM   
elxaime

Just curious whether a modder might use such a glorious map for an ETO WW2 mod? I'd imagine one-week turns and division level. Not sure the code can handle such a monster. But it might be very popular and imagine would allow modders to make many interesting new units and detailed scripts. This monumental task might require formation of a modder committee partnership, unless there is one obsessed individual (like Michaelangelo in Agony and the Ecstacy)

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 64
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/15/2018 5:10:56 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: elxaime

Just curious whether a modder might use such a glorious map for an ETO WW2 mod? I'd imagine one-week turns and division level. Not sure the code can handle such a monster. But it might be very popular and imagine would allow modders to make many interesting new units and detailed scripts. This monumental task might require formation of a modder committee partnership, unless there is one obsessed individual (like Michaelangelo in Agony and the Ecstacy)

Hello elxaime.

I do agree with modder commitee partnership (for sure I will not be able to make a full campaign by myself)
I will complete the coastline and then release the map as it is.
For "smaller" campaign, just a portion of the Map could be use (eg Barbarossa)

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 65
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/16/2018 3:03:24 AM   
Hairog

Please excuse my obsession with the Soviet's oil. Maybe it's my eyes but I don't think the map quite gets to Baku. I think you have to extend a little bit into the Caspian Sea to include Baku proper.

Attachment (1)

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 66
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/23/2018 9:34:54 AM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hairog

Please excuse my obsession with the Soviet's oil. Maybe it's my eyes but I don't think the map quite gets to Baku. I think you have to extend a little bit into the Caspian Sea to include Baku proper.

Hello Harry

Dont worry baku is included (last hexes on south east of the map)
I will have anyway to enlarge width a little bit more to include Teheran

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 67
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex - 9/25/2018 1:04:22 PM   
Hairog

Thanks Sipres! Can't wait.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 68
Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download..... - 9/30/2018 2:35:19 PM   
SIPRES

Dear all,

Here is pre release of the Europe map
Still under dev.
But I think a good starting point at least.
You will find the download link and status on the first post of this thread.

Its almost a little more than a year I did work on this project, and I think an additionnal one will be necessary to complete the task.

Any volunteer for help is welcome

Christophe

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 69
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 3:05:35 AM   
Hairog

Sipres, I have no experience with the maps. The few times I've had to correct or alter a coastline I've struggled for a half hour just finding the correct tile. I know I'm doing something wrong and there must be a way to do this easier.

Is there a video or tutorial on map making in SC3? I haven't found anything useful in the manual. I must be missing a huge piece of information because there is no way anyone could make a map using the methods I am.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 70
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 1:37:19 PM   
BillRunacre

It does take time, but after a while you'll get the hang of where to find the next bit of coast you need.

Having more than 2 units in Hawaii before entering the war triggers a 3-5% swing towards the Axis per turn.

One thing that can be useful is to have both sprite columns showing - the option to turn this on/off is near the top right in the editor.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 71
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 4:23:06 PM   
Elessar2

The editor is expecting scripts to be loaded, so I get an error and cannot load the map.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 72
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 6:22:03 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

The editor is expecting scripts to be loaded, so I get an error and cannot load the map.

I did update campaign file in the link
Just make a try and let me know if ok or not

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 73
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 6:25:51 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

It does take time, but after a while you'll get the hang of where to find the next bit of coast you need.

Having more than 2 units in Hawaii before entering the war triggers a 3-5% swing towards the Axis per turn.

One thing that can be useful is to have both sprite columns showing - the option to turn this on/off is near the top right in the editor.

Hi Bill
The 2nd sentence is I would guess related to a kind of new project

Post #: 74
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/4/2018 11:51:09 PM   
Hairog

Not the answer I was hoping for Bill. :(

You really have to search through all those tiles to find the right one! There's got to be a better way. I know the roads and RR have a kind of assistant.

I remember modding maps in Empires of Steel. I don't recall it being that difficult. I suppose it is a much simpler game.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 75
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/5/2018 2:43:32 PM   
BillRunacre

Ah, I think I was rearranging my post and thought I'd copied the sentence I was moving about... but obviously it was something else that I had copied!

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 10/5/2018 2:45:15 PM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 76
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/5/2018 2:45:07 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

Not the answer I was hoping for Bill. :(

You really have to search through all those tiles to find the right one! There's got to be a better way. I know the roads and RR have a kind of assistant.

I remember modding maps in Empires of Steel. I don't recall it being that difficult. I suppose it is a much simpler game.

Have you tried turning on the sprite numbers? It's one of the options and I find that helps to learn things.

You can also, when in draw mode, right click on a sprite and you will automatically be able to draw it elsewhere. Plus the right hand menu will then be centered on that sprite, which helps if that sprite is close to being the one you want, but not quite.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 77
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 10/5/2018 6:39:16 PM   
SIPRES

Harry,

Here how it works (its manual, no magic tool)

thz first 15 tiles are full ground hexes (no coast)
each tile had "connections points" from A to L.

then the tile file is arranged as follow (if I remember well) connecting A to B, A to C until A to L
then B to C, B to D ect......

you always have choice within 2 tiles to add some variety on the coast line + sea or land property
I hope it does help you but again no automatic tool.

Bill, Hubert

What about the following suggest:

- instead of the both sprites column on editor, if we could have an single hex with selectable connections (A to L) something similar to the picture attached
- Then for example if I "click or select" on A and D then a small popup window could appear with the following tiles (24 to 27 and 180 to 183) as a choice for selection.
- this should make the task really really much faster

Is it something acheivable without to heavy coding?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 1/22/2019 2:22:28 PM   
Hubert Cater

It's a great idea and I can see how it would make things easier, just not sure if or when I'd have a chance to implement this... unfortunately.

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 79
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 1/22/2019 6:07:29 PM   
El Condoro

The best thing I've found for this is to use the '+' and '-" keys when hovering the mouse over a newly placed tile. It then scrolls through the tiles. You can hold the key down and scroll quickly. I have drawn and numbered the main tiles that I use but it's the fiddly ones that still take the time.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 80
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 1/22/2019 6:51:08 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

It's a great idea and I can see how it would make things easier, just not sure if or when I'd have a chance to implement this... unfortunately.

Maybe on SC4 release

Ideally a custom Map image layer would be also great but again handling a large image size in the Editor could be a problem.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 81
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/21/2019 9:19:57 AM   
samspackman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

I can confirm this is true.

Post #: 82
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/21/2019 2:22:45 PM   
Ason

The download link doesnt seem to work, any chance you can update it?:)

(in reply to samspackman)
Post #: 83
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/25/2019 6:38:03 AM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ason

The download link doesnt seem to work, any chance you can update it?:)

Link had been updated (first post), I did some cleanup on my dropbox, should be ok now.

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 84
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/25/2019 8:19:54 PM   
Hairog

Hey Sipres, There is only a .cgn file there. Is that all we need? If so I have no idea of how to use it. .

Thanks again for doing this.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 85
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/25/2019 9:46:40 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

Hey Sipres, There is only a .cgn file there. Is that all we need? If so I have no idea of how to use it. .

Thanks again for doing this.

Yes Cgn file is enough (there is no custom gfx)
You can open the file straight with the editor (maybe add an empty folder "_WW2 20kms v1.02" in your game campaign folder , but i am not sure its really required)

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 86
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 3/30/2019 7:59:07 PM   
Ason

I can't open the map, looking for convoy.txt and probably all other stuff that is missing :/

Edit: copied in all the scripts and stuff from another scenario, now it works, but I would rather just have everything original from you..

< Message edited by Ason -- 3/30/2019 8:01:22 PM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 87
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 6/15/2020 1:46:12 AM   
Elessar2

Has anyone gotten this to load with the latest updates? Like Ason I put in all dummy script files, but it instead gives me a "Failed Retrieve: File Read Error"...

(in reply to Ason)
Post #: 88
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 6/15/2020 8:31:53 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Has anyone gotten this to load with the latest updates? Like Ason I put in all dummy script files, but it instead gives me a "Failed Retrieve: File Read Error"...

Hi Elessar2,

The map was designed with an old version of SC3 (1.02)
I did save now with latest version and add the campaign folders structures (including blank scripts)
The Dropbox link had been updated with latest version

Let me know if it fixes your file read error

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 89
RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex .....Pre release download.... - 6/16/2020 3:11:50 AM   
Elessar2

Wowza.

Mucho thanks.

This would at a stroke, even at a divisional scale, minimize all of the crowding issues that plague both other default maps.

Given how the Pacific AI is basically stillborn (hence my disinterest in working on the WitP map), this may be worth a go, but it probably would have to be a collaborative effort.

However, it seems like this version is lacking the Caspian Sea extension seen in post #65, unless I am misconstruing something. [maybe that pic is from one of the default maps, tho the one I DLed is in fact missing parts of Scandinavia]

At any rate, the map would need to be shifted over so as to allow North America to be put in, add marshes & forests and roads and things, but, man.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 6/16/2020 3:18:12 AM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Map of Europe 20kms/hex Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI