Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LandSupply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LandSupply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LandSupply - 4/25/2019 9:26:30 PM   
montesaurus

I've never had much luck keeping ground forces in supply. Presently I'm playing the Japanese and have marched a force to an enemy base.

They have marched down a road say 5 hexes away from their base through jungle to an enemy base. They quickly get low on supply. How do I keep their supply levels up? any help would be appreciated.

montesaurus
French Player in Going Again II 1792
Post #: 1
RE: LandSupply - 4/25/2019 10:34:40 PM   
GetAssista

- Don't battle too much in Burma during monsoon
- Bring supply to the front beforehand if network abilities are limited: sail some supply to the nearby ports on the road network, then use sliders to increase supply demand on the front bases and wait for it to accumulate

(in reply to montesaurus)
Post #: 2
RE: LandSupply - 4/25/2019 11:48:06 PM   
Kull

If you are playing as Japan and your troops on the front line are starving, then you are doing everything right historically. Those men don't need food, just more Yamato-damashii!!

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3
RE: LandSupply - 4/26/2019 10:36:09 PM   
jdsrae

I’m trying to figure out more about this at the moment.
If you haven’t already, read Alfred’s Log 101 especially the bits about how often supply moves in those front line areas and what burns supply.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101%26%2365533%3B

Just to feed them, ground units use one supply per month per device load cost as defined by the device database.
For Japan, most Divisions need about 1000 supply per month just to feed them, an Infantry Regiment about 300.
Alfred left out one detail which is how much supply land units use in combat. Probably because it depends on so many factors, but whenever something fires it uses an amount of supply.
Has anyone run any tests on how much supply different devices use during Bombardment, Deliberate and Shock attacks?
I ran a Coral Sea scenario last night to test what I can with a save game running different options to attack Port Moresby and counting he different amounts of supply used. Will post some thoughts from that later after I run it a few more times.

As your front line troops are at the far end of the supply pipeline, other units closer to your main bases may be using the supply with little to none left to move forward to the particular unit you are looking at. Also, 5 hexes is about 200miles for the supply to move which is further than some people go on their holidays. The terrain and type of road/rail it is trying to move over are key factors.

The only way is to bring more supply to the theatre.

You could also try to look for what else you have burning supply there (especially bomber air groups, other land units in combat, airgroups or land units with replacements on?)

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 4/26/2019 10:43:24 PM >

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 4
RE: LandSupply - 4/27/2019 2:46:56 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

If you haven’t already, read Alfred’s Log 101 especially the bits about how often supply moves in those front line areas and what burns supply.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101%26%2365533%3B

Just to feed them, ground units use one supply per month per device load cost as defined by the device database.
For Japan, most Divisions need about 1000 supply per month just to feed them, an Infantry Regiment about 300.
Alfred left out one detail which is how much supply land units use in combat. Probably because it depends on so many factors, but whenever something fires it uses an amount of supply.
Has anyone run any tests on how much supply different devices use during Bombardment, Deliberate and Shock attacks?
I ran a Coral Sea scenario last night to test what I can with a save game running different options to attack Port Moresby and counting he different amounts of supply used. Will post some thoughts from that later after I run it a few more times.

As your front line troops are at the far end of the supply pipeline, other units closer to your main bases may be using the supply with little to none left to move forward to the particular unit you are looking at. Also, 5 hexes is about 200miles for the supply to move which is further than some people go on their holidays. The terrain and type of road/rail it is trying to move over are key factors.

You could also try to look for what else you have burning supply there (especially bomber air groups, other land units in combat, airgroups or land units with replacements on?)

I think this is another one of those doomed attempts to quantify the unquantifiable! In addition to ammo expended in combat there is the wastage when stuff gets dropped, the loss of materiel from enemy fire, medical supply in random amounts, equipment abandoned when the enemy overruns a position, additional water consumed by men sweating from every pore, fuel for vehicles, and stuff I haven't thought of. I am fairly sure the combat model has random factors which will make nailing this jelly down impossible.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 5
RE: LandSupply - 4/27/2019 7:42:13 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I think this is another one of those doomed attempts to quantify the unquantifiable!

quote:

For Japan, most Divisions need about 1000 supply per month just to feed them,

I don't think that's right. I think its higher, but not 100% sure.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: LandSupply - 4/27/2019 7:51:49 PM   
rustysi

At any rate, to the op.

Supply needs are pretty tricky to figure out, especially at the 'front'. So whatever you think you may need, bring more.

If you are playing a game against the AI try this. Select the nearest base to the units in question, you say its 5 hexes away on a road. Now hit the '5' key, and you will have a series of numbers radiate out from the base. These numbers represent how many times/week those units will draw supply. From 100 down, I forget the exact number, but say 100 equals ~ 4-5 times per. No number to the units and they are past the 'supply lines'.

Keep in mind that any activity, even movement, will change the supply requirements daily. So...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: LandSupply - 4/29/2019 8:17:28 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

I think this is another one of those doomed attempts to quantify the unquantifiable! In addition to ammo expended in combat there is the wastage when stuff gets dropped, the loss of materiel from enemy fire, medical supply in random amounts, equipment abandoned when the enemy overruns a position, additional water consumed by men sweating from every pore, fuel for vehicles, and stuff I haven't thought of. I am fairly sure the combat model has random factors which will make nailing this jelly down impossible.

I am certainly not going for precision which would be a mission impossible, but can report the following generalisations:

1. Supply just to feed a unit outside of combat can be calculated based on the sum of the number of each device times by the device load costs from the database. One unexpected/interesting detail I noticed was that the "load cost" shown on the LCU information screen is not the same, that particular load cost is the amount of troop or cargo space needed on a ship, which includes a factor of x2 or x3 for larger artillery pieces and vehicles.
2. From my calculations based on TOE and device loads costs, the maximum size unit Japan has to feed is the 14th Division, an A Type which requires 1357 Supply / month just to feed it. Vast majority of A and B Type infantry divisions need 1000-1100 Supply to feed them. C Type Divisions vary a lot, but 700-900 generally. Depot Divisions 500 each.
3. The above calculations passed some random checks I did on Japanese LCUs in Scenario 1.
4. I then ran some attack tests using the Coral Sea scenario, but for any statisticians who read this the "n" of units = 2 being the 144th Regt and Kure 3rd SNLF.
4. Bombardment attacks used about 1.5 to 1.8 times the "feed cost" but were pretty constant each time, which hinted to me to look at the indirect fire pieces only. My theory that I submit for peer review is that "Bombardment Cost" = "Feed cost" + 0.5x the number of firing artillery pieces. If you are doing log planning on an Army or Theatre scale you could just assume a factor of 2 x "feed cost" to Bombard.
5. Deliberate attacks took the base the first few times, which makes it impossible to check how much supply was used. A few points to note include that the amount of captured Supply and Fuel can vary greatly, sometimes with about 30% destroyed but others up to 80% or more.
6. Other Deliberate attacks used different amounts and I ran out of interest to try and "nail the jelly", but between 3 to 5 times the "feed cost". I assume it would be "Bombard Cost" + random number of rifle and other direct fire weapons firing. Makes sense to me that each Deliberate attack would use different amounts of Supply as soldiers will generally only fire at what they can target. Recon is probably a key factor to find more things for them to target.
7. I didn't try many Shock attack iterations but a few failed to take the base when Deliberate attacks succeeded. The few I tried burnt 7 to 8 times the "feed rate" of Supply, so I'm going to assume roughly double a Deliberate attack.

So in summary some very rough figures that might help with estimating how much Supply to take with you on your next invasion are that feeding an LCU costs X/day (let it sit for a few days and the LCU screen will tell you the number), Bombardments cost up to 2X, Deliberate Attacks cost about 4X and Shock Attacks cost about 8X.
Then maybe double the amount to cover everything else that can and will go wrong and you might just about have enough!
None of this matters if you play allies. Just load up task forces of 16xLiberty Ships each and send them forward a few task forces a week.
But for Japan, it's becoming clear to me that getting a handle on the forecast Supply use within each Theatre and then rationing bullets, food and bandages should come in handy, as there will never be vast excesses.
Also, losing devices to combat in itself doesn't burn supply, it's the replacement of them that does. So my default setting is to switch replacements off and only turn them back on deliberately, after checking that I have enough Supply to bring a certain unit back up to strength.

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 4/29/2019 8:26:24 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: LandSupply - 4/29/2019 8:27:54 AM   
Alfred

Not much of value here.

For an accurate understanding on supply consumption, suggest my numerous posts on how supply is consumed both doing nothing and in combat would the correct starting point.

Alfred

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 9
RE: LandSupply - 4/29/2019 9:25:20 AM   
jdsrae

Haha thanks Alfred, all feedback is a gift!
I will take your “not much” as “something” but will also go back through some more of your old posts.
Your Log 101 post is great and covers everything except for supply use of LCUs in combat, but I think I’ve got enough of an idea now just to try some things in a new game against the AI.
Cheers
Jim

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: LandSupply - 4/29/2019 10:54:14 AM   
jdsrae

Alfred’s post #13 in the link below should also be read:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3428992&mpage=1&key=Supply�

What I was seeing in my examples looks like the sum of devices firing plus the medics providing combat first aid to disable devices. The difference between some Deliberate attacks and the Shock atttacks was that more casualties were incurred so the supply burn increased to nearly 10x the daily feed rate in one instance. More casualties, more bandages required, more supply used makes sense

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 11
RE: LandSupply - 5/3/2019 9:22:24 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: montesaurus

I've never had much luck keeping ground forces in supply. Presently I'm playing the Japanese and have marched a force to an enemy base.

They have marched down a road say 5 hexes away from their base through jungle to an enemy base. They quickly get low on supply. How do I keep their supply levels up? any help would be appreciated.

Base supply demand depends mostly of LCUs present there. When your army leaves Base, its demand suddenly drops. You have to increase it manually, so there will be extra supply for distribution. Also, the longer Supply Path, the rarer supply will be delivered, so not every day.
In emergency situations you can try to drop supply from Transport Planes, and at shores even better - unload supply directly into LCUs from ships.

(in reply to montesaurus)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LandSupply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI