Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/16/2019 10:35:24 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Do you have a heavy volume of messages at Nanking? My guess is they loaded on ships, will meet up with ds and take Japanese Islands for closes fighter bases -- that is my number one guess. Of course if you have left holes in Korea that might be attractive.

No holes in Korea. At all. The entire coastline is occupied including all non-base hexes. Interestingly, in some kind of bug representing itself, some of those units almost immediately had forts 6-7. Small units, so it's wouldn't likely matter much, but interesting.

My first guess is also islands somewhere South of Japan. I'll have to check for messages. I've not been reading my SIGINT.

I'd be looking at any high value VP bases, particularly if they are not strongly garrisoned.

Whether your opponent is concerned about the 31 August 1945 deadline or isn't, he still ultimately needs to acquire VPs. Normally, considering the overall position, one would expect an Allied player to garner those VPs from strategic bombing but as you have detailed his somewhat desultory approach to strategic bombing, obtaining fresh airfields in range of the Home Islands wouldn't be consistent. Consistent would be going after high value land bases utilising his naval mobility.

Alfred

I've been expecting an invasion in Luzon as part of this big move to China, but it didn't come. I'm not sure he's reconned enough to know how little is there.

The high value targets on Hokkaido are some of the best available without having to invade anything, but he's drawn down forces there.

He did try to para-drop on Formosa so maybe that is also on the menu, but he's not prepped.

Your opponent is an opportunistic player. He is never fully prepped for an invasion. notwithstanding public protestations to the contrary. Nor will you get much advance warning via Allied overhead recon flights, probably as little as one turn only.

Hokkaido - drawing down his forces there removes it from being high on the list of targets. To now come back with forces released from China would represent a huge waste of time completely unjustified by the results obtained during the detour.

Formosa - not being fully prepped would not factor into his thinking. That he paradropped there confirms his opportunistic style and that Formosa is either a main target in its own right or alternatively is seen as protecting his flank for another operation. Logically that operation would be Luzon. He doesn't need Formosa to cover his flan if he is going for Okinawa as his current China lodgement would suffice for that flank protection. If Formosa is a target in its own right, then expect the rest of the China coastline from Shanghai down to Vietnam to be attacked by amphibious landings rather than overland movement. Unlike Korea, you don't have sufficient forces to garrison every non base hex here on the coastline.

Luzon - plenty of VPs here to be garnered. He doesn't need recon here but can deduce that Japanese airpower will be very weak here. Plus having encountered so much IJA strength in China, he knows it isn't already on Luzon nor can it be transferred there from China . With what he already has and the airpower of the American Death Star and if needed the British carrier force, he can safely land on Luzon without fear of encountering strong land defences. Without Japanese airpower to protect them, Japanese land forces (and their supply) on Luzon will not hold up. All that your opponent needs is to stand off Luzon for a single day his invasion forces and recon all the beaches for a single turn to find the lightly defended beaches and invade there, all without caring about his own prep levels.

Borneo and Mindanao - these could be handled by the British carrier forces covering the amphibious operations. Again neither much advanced prep nor recon would be needed for pulling the trigger. Similarly for Java.

Alfred

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3211
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/16/2019 2:24:04 PM   
Chickenboy

I would suspect that there's a balance between ease of invasion / expected resistance and benefit to the overall Allied war effort. Just because he *can* invade some place 'cheaply' doesn't mean it's the best fit for the strategic flow for the balance of the war. It doesn't mean he won't do it, but it may not be the most efficient use of his forces for the endgame.

Java / Sumatra: Opportunistic landings there may encounter reduced (relative to entrenched positions in China) Japanese capabilities and result in capture of oil and refinery centers.

But how much oil / fuel is Japan still garnering from its capture of Java? It is my understanding that oil and fuel flow back to mainland Japan have been summarily reduced to a trickle in the last 6 months. Obvert: is this correct? If so, and you have learned to live without Java's oil/fuel, would that really be a hammer blow to the Japanese economy?

Liberation of Java in August 1945 is a different strategic impact than the liberation of Java in 1943 or 1944. Furthermore, it splits the Allied main effort from focally investing the Japanese Home Islands. An invasion of Java would have limited impact on oil / fuel collection from Borneo as well. My opinion is that he would be frittering away time better spent elsewhere nearer the home islands with little strategic impact to the Japanese war effort.

Luzon / Formosa: Nearer to the Japanese home islands and better able to support other Allied efforts in the area. Either location should be a death knell to any importation of residual fuel/oil/resources from the SRA, regardless of initial source. Only a handful of bases on the Chinese coast should be necessary to complete the shipping stricture if Luzon was the main event.

But how many VPs (other than the Japanese LCUs that would be destroyed) would he hope to garner from a major expedition to Luzon? 5,000? If this 'worth' one-two months of protracted fighting? Will there be a benefit to oil/fuel shipment interdiction at this stage of the war? Again, Obvert, how much oil/fuel are you getting through the Luzon strait? While a Luzon focus may be easier than Formosa for the Allies, it also provides less overlapping support to coastal Chinese operations than a Formosa investment.

The low hanging fruit here for the Allies was / is Hokkaido. I am unclear on the rationale for drawing down forces in the North Japanese home islands. Unless the Allies decided that this was 'too expensive' in terms of time / men / materiale for limited gains. I think your opponent probably thought that a lodgement on Hokkaido would clear the way to an decisive strategic bombing campaign of Honshu and Kyushu. Your atypically stiff air defenses disabused him of that notion over the last 10 months of fighting.

I'll go further yet: the draw down of Allied forces in Hokkaido and primary vector shift to Luzon / Formosa may very well mean that he's 'giving up' on the strategic air war as a means to victory. No, not completely, but if he's redoubled his efforts on the ground war VP game, that may be evidence that he is demoting the strategic bombing campaign relatively. That and the very real possibility that he may be running light on assets (B17/24/29) with which to prosecute the strategic bombing campaign.

Would this then be welcomed by a Japan player hoping to further run off the clock and trade parsimonious Allied VP gains for more time? There's an argument to be made that such a diversion could be a welcome respite.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3212
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/16/2019 2:59:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I would suspect that there's a balance between ease of invasion / expected resistance and benefit to the overall Allied war effort. Just because he *can* invade some place 'cheaply' doesn't mean it's the best fit for the strategic flow for the balance of the war. It doesn't mean he won't do it, but it may not be the most efficient use of his forces for the endgame.

Java / Sumatra: Opportunistic landings there may encounter reduced (relative to entrenched positions in China) Japanese capabilities and result in capture of oil and refinery centers.

But how much oil / fuel is Japan still garnering from its capture of Java? It is my understanding that oil and fuel flow back to mainland Japan have been summarily reduced to a trickle in the last 6 months. Obvert: is this correct? If so, and you have learned to live without Java's oil/fuel, would that really be a hammer blow to the Japanese economy?

There is about 250AV on all of Java.

This is the main hub of resource/fuel/oil transit to the Home Islands. There are currently 700k resources still at Soerabaja, about 120k fuel and 50k oil on Java. All TFs from Palembang now transit the coast to Batavia, unload and return. TFs from Tokyo pass along the Marianas and Babeldaob, then to Soerabaja. Two are always loading there. I am sending 150k resources and 20k oil every two days, plus about 50-80k fuel every 3-4 four days. It has ALL been making it to Tokyo other than the occasional loss to sub activity.

There is still just below 5,000,000 fuel owned by Japan and about 300k oil. As much as possible is in Japan, but Manila and Babeldaob are also hubs for the smaller production centres. There are a lot of smaller resource centres with 500-700k I hope to access, but not sure I'll have time.

quote:

Liberation of Java in August 1945 is a different strategic impact than the liberation of Java in 1943 or 1944. Furthermore, it splits the Allied main effort from focally investing the Japanese Home Islands. An invasion of Java would have limited impact on oil / fuel collection from Borneo as well. My opinion is that he would be frittering away time better spent elsewhere nearer the home islands with little strategic impact to the Japanese war effort.

Luzon / Formosa: Nearer to the Japanese home islands and better able to support other Allied efforts in the area. Either location should be a death knell to any importation of residual fuel/oil/resources from the SRA, regardless of initial source. Only a handful of bases on the Chinese coast should be necessary to complete the shipping stricture if Luzon was the main event.

Taking lower Luzon, Mindanao and the Celebes would completely shut down transit to the HI from the SRA. It would take a few regiments and a few weeks to do this. He'd maybe have to either bring the DS or split it up, and I don't think he likes to split it up!

quote:

But how many VPs (other than the Japanese LCUs that would be destroyed) would he hope to garner from a major expedition to Luzon? 5,000? If this 'worth' one-two months of protracted fighting? Will there be a benefit to oil/fuel shipment interdiction at this stage of the war? Again, Obvert, how much oil/fuel are you getting through the Luzon strait? While a Luzon focus may be easier than Formosa for the Allies, it also provides less overlapping support to coastal Chinese operations than a Formosa investment.

The low hanging fruit here for the Allies was / is Hokkaido. I am unclear on the rationale for drawing down forces in the North Japanese home islands. Unless the Allies decided that this was 'too expensive' in terms of time / men / materiale for limited gains. I think your opponent probably thought that a lodgement on Hokkaido would clear the way to an decisive strategic bombing campaign of Honshu and Kyushu. Your atypically stiff air defenses disabused him of that notion over the last 10 months of fighting.

He has had successes. He hasn't replicated them often, and he hasn't chosen to overwhelm the Japanese forces with days and days of hammer blows. A large portion of his air forces are dispersed in Malaya, Indochina, Shikuka and involved in hitting empty airfields and troops in jungles in all of those locations. The Shikuka forces include a lot of B-29s and those have only sporadically tested defenses.

quote:

I'll go further yet: the draw down of Allied forces in Hokkaido and primary vector shift to Luzon / Formosa may very well mean that he's 'giving up' on the strategic air war as a means to victory. No, not completely, but if he's redoubled his efforts on the ground war VP game, that may be evidence that he is demoting the strategic bombing campaign relatively. That and the very real possibility that he may be running light on assets (B17/24/29) with which to prosecute the strategic bombing campaign.

Would this then be welcomed by a Japan player hoping to further run off the clock and trade parsimonious Allied VP gains for more time? There's an argument to be made that such a diversion could be a welcome respite.

Any reduction of the Home Islands industry hurts. I just lost a Ki-84r Frank factory at 30/month. One strike on Fukuoka.

I've tried to make the air war psychologically tough, whether it's actually impossible to prosecute or not. I've wondered about pilot quality remaining more than anything, but he keeps sweeping and keeps up the milk runs. There is some low hanging fruit.

I wonder if he's just waiting for the Soviets to really push everywhere. That's a lot of stuff to throw in when Japan is already in a perilous position.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3213
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 10:36:25 AM   
obvert

Had a weekend trip to Paris and got off track with my updates. I'll try to catch up a bit today.

We're still doing at least one turn a day. I see Dan is updating his second game much more than this one now. Understandable as there isn't a lot new to report. In fact I guess I'm a bit bored with the rinse and repeat of hitting a milk run, repairing air groups, loading up convoys to ship resources back and routing them to the safe zone through Cent Pac, and doing it all again after a few days when Allied bombing has left a base long enough the fields are operational.

I know the Soviets are coming very soon. I know this move by the DS is doing something, but I'm now starting to see it's much of the same. I know there will be changes and failings soon as the economy slows and Allied power grows further. I know an A-bomb or two is coming.

I just don't have that final dread and depression yet that I had last time against the relentless pressure JockMeister subjected me to in the endgame. This one is measured, slow, occasionally bold and creative, but sporadic. Unfocused, as Lowpe said recently, on the critical points of reducing the Japanese economy.

I'll do these reports more quickly to get to the present.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/22/2019 12:18:22 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3214
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 10:49:23 AM   
obvert

July 14-15, 1945

The biggest sweeps ever launched by the Allies in this game hit Nagasaki on the 14th. Numerous waves of Naval Corsairs supplemented by P-40Ns hit the CAP again and again. It goes well for the defence ofr a long time, but wears down and finally turns toward the Allies when a massive cooperating sweep comes from the DS. The bombing strikes don't appear until the afternoon however, so some CAP recovered and takes out a nice chunk of B-29s.

On the 15th a quieter day, with the DS moving to just off of Okinawa and showing that it has some Amphibs in it as well as the gaggle of CVs and surface ships. Where doth she go?

Johore Baru and Singers still taking a pounding. No more attacks yet at Johore by the Allied stack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 14, 1945
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Air attack on Nagasaki/Sasebo , at 102,58

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 46 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 24
J7W1 Shinden x 42
N1K5-J George x 12
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 48
Ki-84b Frank x 88
Ki-84r Frank x 65
Ki-100-II Tony x 32

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 2 destroyed
Ki-84b Frank: 1 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 3 destroyed
Ki-100-II Tony: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1A Corsair: 5 destroyed

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 39,900 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 21
J7W1 Shinden x 37
N1K5-J George x 12
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 44
Ki-84b Frank x 75
Ki-84r Frank x 56
Ki-100-II Tony x 23

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
J7W1 Shinden: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1A Corsair: 2 destroyed

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 18
J7W1 Shinden x 31
N1K5-J George x 7
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 37
Ki-84b Frank x 64
Ki-84r Frank x 47
Ki-100-II Tony x 12

Allied aircraft
Corsair IV x 16

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair IV: 6 destroyed

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 15
J7W1 Shinden x 28
N1K5-J George x 6
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 35
Ki-84b Frank x 52
Ki-84r Frank x 42
Ki-100-II Tony x 9

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84b Frank: 2 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 4 destroyed

Raid detected at 14 NM, estimated altitude 46,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 12
J7W1 Shinden x 23
N1K5-J George x 6
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 26
Ki-84b Frank x 45
Ki-84r Frank x 34
Ki-100-II Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K5-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-84b Frank: 3 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 7 destroyed

Raid detected at 13 NM, estimated altitude 48,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 11
J7W1 Shinden x 17
N1K5-J George x 5
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 21
Ki-84b Frank x 32
Ki-84r Frank x 26
Ki-100-II Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 22

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 3 destroyed

Raid detected at 22 NM, estimated altitude 46,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 10
J7W1 Shinden x 14
N1K5-J George x 4
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 15
Ki-84b Frank x 28
Ki-84r Frank x 17
Ki-100-II Tony x 4

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x P-47N Thunderbolt sweeping at 42000 feet

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 44,300 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 6
J7W1 Shinden x 12
N1K5-J George x 4
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 14
Ki-84b Frank x 20
Ki-84r Frank x 15
Ki-100-II Tony x 2

Allied aircraft
Corsair IV x 24
F4U-1D Corsair x 139

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 3 destroyed
Ki-84b Frank: 4 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x F4U-1D Corsair sweeping at 39300 feet
17 x F4U-1D Corsair sweeping at 39300 feet
8 x Corsair IV sweeping at 39300 feet
25 x F4U-1D Corsair sweeping at 39300 feet
21 x F4U-1D Corsair sweeping at 39300 feet
15 x Corsair IV sweeping at 39300 feet

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 46,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J7W1 Shinden x 5
N1K5-J George x 4
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 7
Ki-84b Frank x 5
Ki-84r Frank x 11

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
J7W1 Shinden: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x P-47N Thunderbolt sweeping at 42000 feet *

Afternoon Air attack on Nagasaki/Sasebo , at 102,58

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 6
J7W1 Shinden x 12
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 13
Ki-84b Frank x 13
Ki-84r Frank x 17

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 31
B-29B Superfort x 9

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 destroyed, 13 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 destroyed by flak
B-29B Superfort: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Resources hits 23
Manpower hits 4
Fires 2260

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 9000 feet *
City Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 15, 1945

Ground combat at Johore Bahru (50,83)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 122083 troops, 1820 guns, 1600 vehicles, Assault Value = 3282

Defending force 59820 troops, 487 guns, 286 vehicles, Assault Value = 1586

Japanese ground losses:
124 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3215
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 10:51:01 AM   
obvert

Here is a shot of the DS. Going slowly. I've been rerouting convoys further East for now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3216
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 11:08:35 AM   
obvert

July 16-18, 1945

The 16th and 17th are quiet, but the 18th is a flurry of action.

The DS picks up speed, or at least a section of it does, and appears near Iwo Jima. Another CV group shows up coming from the East near Marcus. The two seem to be converging to hit convoys near here. Some DDs are launched to try and hit something, and get to one big convoy near the Bonins. I lose one xAK sunk and one heavily damaged and limping to Chichi Jima. Funny to see Everton out here rather than a Fletcher or Sumner. I also got an xAK from a group of merchies moving from the East. Looks like a LOT. Where are they heading?

Also, I again placed CAP in Hangchow directly, took a bit of hit on the ground, but again got to the bombers in the air. Pretty heavy losses on both sides but going for the IJ overall.

Lets see where the DS heads now.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 18, 1945

Night Time Surface Combat, near Chichi-jima at 109,74, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E Amami
E Hodaka
E Habuto
E Ikara, Shell hits 6, on fire
AK Shinryu Maru
AK Yamahagi Maru
AK Tenryu Maru
AK Tonan Maru, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage
AK Toei Maru
xAK Manko Maru
xAK Heito Maru
xAK Natisan Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Iburi Maru
xAK Ishikari Maru
xAK Terushima Maru
xAK Omi Maru
xAK Daido Maru
xAK Imizu Maru
xAK Kaiko Maru
xAK Akagisan Maru
xAK Hiyoshi Maru
xAK Kokai Maru
xAK Kozan Maru
xAK Sinsyu Maru
xAK Osaka Maru
xAK Seian Maru
xAK Shanghai Maru
xAK Kosei Maru
xAK Koto Maru
xAK Taifuku Maru
xAK Tamashima Maru
xAK Sumanoura Maru
xAK Ikoma Maru
xAK Mikasa Maru
xAK Maya Maru
xAK Rokko Maru

Allied Ships
DD Evertsen, Shell hits 1

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 67% moonlight: 11,000 yards

Night Air attack on Toyama , at 112,57

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 73 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 22 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 21
P1Y2-S Frances x 3
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 8

Allied aircraft
B-29B Superfort x 44

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29B Superfort: 17 damaged

Manpower hits 36
Fires 8100

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B-29B Superfort bombing from 15000 feet
City Attack: 36 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 51 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 19
P1Y2-S Frances x 5
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
B-29B Superfort x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29B Superfort: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Manpower hits 5
Fires 13430

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-29B Superfort bombing from 15000 feet

Raid detected at 65 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 11
P1Y2-S Frances x 2
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-Sa Irving: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 10 damaged

Manpower hits 20
Fires 66250

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet
City Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Wuchang , at 84,51

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 47,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M5 Jack x 14
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 12
Ki-84r Frank x 16

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M5 Jack: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 2 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Hangchow , at 90,55

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 70 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K5-J George x 31
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 14
Ki-83 x 47
Ki-84b Frank x 28
Ki-84r Frank x 22
Ki-100-II Tony x 30

Allied aircraft
A-20G Havoc x 3
A-26B Invader x 17
B-24J Liberator x 18
F-6D Mustang x 18
P-38L Lightning x 18
P-51D Mustang x 54
F4U-1A Corsair x 10
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 9
PB4Y-2 Privateer x 9
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K5-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 damaged
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-83: 4 destroyed
Ki-84b Frank: 3 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged
Ki-84r Frank: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-100-II Tony: 5 destroyed, 13 damaged
Ki-100-II Tony: 4 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
A-20G Havoc: 1 damaged
A-26B Invader: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 5 damaged
F-6D Mustang: 1 destroyed
P-38L Lightning: 3 destroyed
P-51D Mustang: 6 destroyed
F4U-1A Corsair: 1 destroyed

PB4Y-1 Liberator: 2 damaged
PB4Y-2 Privateer: 6 damaged
PB4Y-2 Privateer: 1 destroyed by flak
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 13 damaged

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 50

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x PBJ-1D Mitchell bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Banzai! - Kimura S. in a Ki-84r Frank rams a PBJ-1D Mitchell for the Emperor

Raid detected at 54 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K5-J George x 7
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 12
Ki-83 x 29
Ki-84b Frank x 8
Ki-84r Frank x 16
Ki-100-II Tony x 10

Allied aircraft
Liberator B.VI x 12
A-26B Invader x 4
B-24J Liberator x 9
PV-2 Harpoon x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 1 destroyed

Ki-100-II Tony: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator B.VI: 2 destroyed, 10 damaged
A-26B Invader: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged
PV-2 Harpoon: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Liberator B.VI bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Banzai! - Kamei S. in a Ki-84r Frank rams a PV-2 Harpoon for the Emperor

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K5-J George x 1
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 6
Ki-83 x 10
Ki-84r Frank x 11
Ki-100-II Tony x 2

Allied aircraft
PBJ-1J Mitchell x 15

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
PBJ-1J Mitchell: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
PBJ-1J Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x PBJ-1J Mitchell bombing from 12000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Agrihan at 113,82

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Charles G. Coutant, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B6N2 Jill bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3217
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 4:18:02 PM   
Chickenboy

Interesting. On your strategic VP screen, it no longer shows "marginal Allied victory" or any such subjective summary victory condition indicators. I'm guessing this language doesn't exist for a 'draw' for either side?

Also, the use of PV-1 and PV-2 aircraft in the strategic bombing role suggests a dearth of viable airframes for this purpose. It'd be interesting to see what his pools of more suitable strategic bombers look like. I'm guessing it's LOW.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 5/22/2019 4:19:49 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3218
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/22/2019 9:01:57 PM   
obvert

quote:

Interesting. On your strategic VP screen, it no longer shows "marginal Allied victory" or any such subjective summary victory condition indicators. I'm guessing this language doesn't exist for a 'draw' for either side?

Also, the use of PV-1 and PV-2 aircraft in the strategic bombing role suggests a dearth of viable airframes for this purpose. It'd be interesting to see what his pools of more suitable strategic bombers look like. I'm guessing it's LOW.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. I looked back and it hasn't had that note for a long while. It was there in December but not in January.

Could it be there has to be a certain ratio for it to start to appear? So right now there is no victory?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3219
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 4:41:58 AM   
Alfred

The message only appears once a side reaches the 1.25:1 (marginal) or 1.75:1 (decisive) victory levels.

It can only appear under one side's ledger column hence no reference to lower ratios as it would then have to apply to both ledger columns.

Alfred

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3220
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 1:16:31 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The message only appears once a side reaches the 1.25:1 (marginal) or 1.75:1 (decisive) victory levels.

It can only appear under one side's ledger column hence no reference to lower ratios as it would then have to apply to both ledger columns.

Alfred

Makes good sense. Thanks!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3221
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 1:22:29 PM   
obvert

quote:

As to your other point. I think the PV-1 and PV-2 are great strat bombing planes, but I'd send them very low with the B-29s much higher. They're going to get creamed by NF and flak anyway, so just increase chance to hit and bomb manpower. Let the fires burn!!

The rebel has played many parts of this game masterfully and frustratingly safe. I haven't had a lot of open shots without his defences on full alert and covering everything. This part of it though he could open up a bit more if he wants to cause some real trouble. I look at the Mr Kane losses and cringe, but the guy is also quite close to 2:1 by the end of August against Miller, and is taking those losses to provide immediate or future gains.

Wait. No. Sorry. Keep calm. Carry on!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3222
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 1:31:19 PM   
obvert

July 19-20, 1945

The DS sticks just South of the Bonins, but the CAP isn't set to bleed and some Judys manage to catch a good sized convoy of xAKs. The rollover shows a lot of other (and better) targets here, including AP/APA. Wish those would have been hit!

Still, another 100+ permanent VPs. I had no idea there was a merchant named after John Shafroth. One of my favourite Allied TF commanders.

The Allies have moved some B-29-25 to the South and struck at Soerabaja airfields. They caught my CAP upgrading and replenishing airframes and so little was up in the air, unfortunately. A good strike, with about 70+ aircraft destroyed. No industry targeted though. The oil fields on Java, Borneo and at Palembang still chugging away.

In the South the Allies try another DA at Johore. It again goes pretty well for the IJA. The Allies get better though and it's now time to move this stack back to Singers. I have confidence that if there is supply there, Singers can cause some problems still.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 19, 1945

Morning Air attack on TF, near Iwo-jima at 107,81

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 113 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 42
D4Y3 Judy x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y3 Judy: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK John T. McMillan, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Jeremiah M. Daily, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAK John W. Troy
xAK John F. Shafroth, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Jose Sepulveda, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAK James Lick, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAK James Withycombe, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Soerabaja , at 56,104

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J2M5 Jack x 1
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 10

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M5 Jack: 1 damaged
J2M5 Jack: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
D4Y4 Judy: 5 destroyed on ground
B6N2a Jill: 5 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 30
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 88

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet
Airfield Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y4 Judy: 1 destroyed on ground
B6N2a Jill: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 22

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet
Airfield Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Iwo-jima at 107,81

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 1,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 26
B6N2 Jill x 3
E15K1 Norm x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
xAK Andrew Furuseth, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DE Sanders, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x E15K1 Norm bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Iwo-jima at 107,81

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 36 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 42
D4Y3 Judy x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y3 Judy: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Clarence Darrow, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Joseph Simon, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAK Coasters Harbor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Jacques Laramie, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAK John P. Gaines, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK J. Rufino Barrios, Bomb hits 1, Kamikaze hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Charles L. McNary, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Clark Howell, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 128366 troops, 1865 guns, 1738 vehicles, Assault Value = 3332

Defending force 59522 troops, 487 guns, 289 vehicles, Assault Value = 1575

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Allied adjusted assault: 1308

Japanese adjusted defense: 2403

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3339 casualties reported
Squads: 84 destroyed, 175 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 57 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 72 (16 destroyed, 56 disabled)
Vehicles lost 19 (5 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
6195 casualties reported
Squads: 45 destroyed, 526 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 128 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 117 disabled
Guns lost 81 (8 destroyed, 73 disabled)
Vehicles lost 57 (5 destroyed, 52 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Gardner's Horse Regiment
25th Indian Division
475th USA Regiment
1st Garrison Brigade
16th Chindit Brigade
20th Indian Division
268th Motorised Brigade
11th (East African) Division
45th Indian Brigade
81st (West African) Division
17th Motorised Division
236th Combat Engineer Regiment
2nd British Division
8th Indian Division
Southeast Asia
2/9th Field Regiment
2nd Indian Medium Regiment
20th Indian Heavy AA Regiment
14th Army
3rd West African AA Regiment
55th Heavy Regiment
56th Heavy AA Regiment
134th (East Ang) Regiment
6th USMC Field Artillery Battalion
12th Indian Heavy AA Regiment
181st Field Artillery Regiment
2nd HK&S Heavy AA Regiment
1st Indian Medium Regiment
III Indian Corps
168th Field Artillery Regiment
23rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
88th Medium Regiment
XXXIV Indian Corps
2/13th Field Regiment
3rd (Special Force) Division

Defending units:
5th INA Regiment
27th Ind.Mixed Brigade
21st Ind.Mixed Brigade
Sasebo 8th SNLF
29th Ind.Mixed Brigade
Yokosuka 4th SNLF /2
4th Tank Regiment
44th Naval Guard Unit
2nd South Seas Det.
4th INA Nehru Regiment
Kure 3rd SNLF
2nd Amphibious Brigade
2nd INA Gandhi Regiment
4th Ind.Mixed Regiment
49th Tank Battalion
4th Raiding Regiment
26th Tank Regiment
65th Brigade
120th Div /2
105th JAAF AF Bn
3rd Mortar Battalion
89th JAAF AF Bn
80th JAAF AF Bn
91st JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
94th JAAF AF Bn
201st JAAF AF Bn
28th JAAF AF Bn
17th JAAF AF Bn
23rd JAAF AF Bn /1

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 20, 1945

Morning Air attack on Wuchang , at 84,51

Raid detected at 45 NM, estimated altitude 45,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J2M5 Jack x 13
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 11
Ki-84r Frank x 14

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M5 Jack: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 4 destroyed

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3223
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 1:34:48 PM   
obvert

All of the DS and various TFs look to have joined together by the 21st. No more lucky shots I guess. I always kick myself I didn't load up 200 bombers here to hit this stuff, but I know sooner or later those are 200 VPs if the DS is too close. Hedged bets and at least came out ahead.

Still no idea what all of this is doing out here, but it is starting to look like it's just the DS coming to get replenishment forces (and more troops?) for China. They're now moving back NW. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3224
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 1:55:05 PM   
obvert

July 21-22, 1945

The DS continues to move NW. Near Daito by the 22nd. Nailed a slow tanker Tf, but only two lost thankfully. My bigger ones to the East have about 25-30 ships each.

At Johore the retreat to Singers is going on unchallenged. I'm sure he is happy these troops are moving back. I would be too, but it will make the initial Singers attack very tough for the Allies.

Not much else to report other than flak doing it's job at Singers and Hangchow while the Allied bombers do theirs. Fields pummelled, about 10-15 Allied bombers lost to flak and ops a day on the "slow" days.

Resuming convoy runs through Cent Pac as the DS ponderously moves between the Bonins and the Ryukyus. See below.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 21, 1945

Sub attack near Jesselton at 68,84

Japanese Ships
TK Tatibana Maru, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Tenzan Maru

Allied Ships
SS Picuda

SS Picuda launches 6 torpedoes at TK Tatibana Maru
Picuda diving deep ....

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 67 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Allied aircraft
Liberator B.VI x 8
F4U-1D Corsair x 14
A-20G Havoc x 3
A-26B Invader x 40
B-24J Liberator x 25
B-29-25 Superfort x 60
F-6D Mustang x 17
P-47N Thunderbolt x 15
P-51D Mustang x 35
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 12

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator B.VI: 4 damaged
A-20G Havoc: 1 damaged
A-26B Invader: 3 damaged
A-26B Invader: 1 destroyed by flak
B-24J Liberator: 4 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 30 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Airbase hits 34
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 97

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x PBJ-1D Mitchell bombing from 9000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 22, 1945

Sub attack near Guiuan at 89,86

Japanese Ships
TK Oita Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
SC Ch 61
SC Ch 56
TK Koho Maru
TK Syoyo Maru
TK San Luis Maru
xAK Teiryu Maru
xAK Meiu Maru
xAK Nittai Maru
xAK Taizin Maru
xAK Tempei Maru
xAK Kotohira Maru
xAK Kaisyo Maru
xAK Tensin Maru
E No.67

Allied Ships
SS Cod, hits 6, heavy damage

SS Cod launches 6 torpedoes at TK Oita Maru
Cod diving deep ....

Morning Air attack on TF, near Naha at 96,67

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
Hellcat F.II x 21
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 14

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
PB Kozan Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
PB Higashiyama Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Manei Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Ayazono Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SB2C-5 Helldiver releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Straddling the DS movement, TFs from both directions move through the Pacific. The final TF heading to Hiroshima while the DS was moved East has gotten far enough ahead to likely be safe now. Lost the one slow mover, but all others have been diverted behind the DS movement now. Another 300k resources, 100k fuel and 50k oil should and in Tokyo within the week barring other interference.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2019 1:59:13 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3225
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 2:02:57 PM   
obvert

Here's the SRA currently. A lot going on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3226
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 2:40:09 PM   
obvert

July 23, 1945

Ok. Caught up now. Feels good to get current.

Shanghai airfield was open for the past two days, and I though since it was at zero damage before this turn I had to take advantage. I got a bit lucky here s to the order of business. The Allied strikes arrived with no preceding sweeps and a smaller package early, so the big CAP decimated that first wave. They were still quite strong when the next arrived with no escorts. The A-26 bore the brunt of the carnage here, with 100+ destroyed on the day.

With 125 planes still in the air to take on the third wave, even the P-47N escorts couldn't keep the IJ fighters off of the bombers, and a cross section of 2E and 4E bombers were downed.

By the end it was about 160 downed for 100 lost. I'll take that.

All planes were moved out for the next turn. Lets see if the bombing continues here.

Johore Baru will go to the Allies now. All troops safe in Singers. Brings the AV total there to about 2300.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 23, 1945

Sub attack near Donggala at 69,96

Japanese Ships
AO Sunosaki, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
PB Kyo Maru #7
PB Fumi Maru #3
PB Sozan Maru
PB Shosei Maru
PB Nikkai Maru
PB Nagata Maru
PB Myoken Maru
PB Aso Maru #3
AO Takasaki
AO Shioya
AO Ondo
AO Iro
TK Tatekawa Maru
TK Ogura Maru #1
TK Hakko Maru
TK Hishi Maru #2
TK Eiyo Maru
TK Eiho Maru
E Nasami
E Chikubu
PC Take
PC Nire

Allied Ships
SS Redfin, hits 16

SS Redfin launches 6 torpedoes at AO Sunosaki
E Nasami fails to find sub and abandons search
E Chikubu attacking submerged sub ....

Sub attack near Laoag at 78,68

Japanese Ships
TK Chuko Maru, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Tennan Maru
TK Moji Maru
PB Sonobe Maru

Allied Ships
SS Sea Scout

SS Sea Scout launches 6 torpedoes at TK Chuko Maru
Sea Scout diving deep ....

Morning Air attack on Shanghai , at 92,55

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 74 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 79
N1K2-J George x 22
N1K5-J George x 32
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 18
Ki-83 x 16
Ki-84b Frank x 42
Ki-100-II Tony x 30

Allied aircraft
A-20G Havoc x 3
A-26B Invader x 22
B-24J Liberator x 17
P-38L Lightning x 17
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
A-20G Havoc: 2 destroyed
A-26B Invader: 8 destroyed, 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged
P-38L Lightning: 5 destroyed
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged

Airbase hits 10
Runway hits 41

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x PBJ-1D Mitchell bombing from 8000 feet

Banzai! - Renzo B. in a Ki-43-IV Oscar rams a PBJ-1D Mitchell for the Emperor
Banzai! - Kikuchi G. in a Ki-84b Frank rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor

Raid detected at 50 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 68
N1K2-J George x 22
N1K5-J George x 24
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 14
Ki-83 x 9
Ki-84b Frank x 34
Ki-100-II Tony x 15

Allied aircraft
A-26B Invader x 48
B-24J Liberator x 4
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 5 destroyed
N1K5-J George: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
A-26B Invader: 29 destroyed, 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 2 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 3 destroyed

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 8000 feet

Banzai! - Ogawa G. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Imamura L. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Matsuo W. in a N1K5-J George rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Shiga O. in a N1K5-J George rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Juni H. in a Ki-84b Frank rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Hirano R. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Nakasawa W. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Hagiri V. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor
Banzai! - Muranaka D. in a A7M2 Sam rams a A-26B Invader for the Emperor

Raid detected at 60 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 49
N1K2-J George x 9
N1K5-J George x 18
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 9
Ki-83 x 2
Ki-84b Frank x 29
Ki-100-II Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
Liberator B.VI x 10
A-20G Havoc x 11
A-26B Invader x 21
B-24J Liberator x 3
P-47N Thunderbolt x 16
PBJ-1J Mitchell x 15
PV-2 Harpoon x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed on ground
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed
N1K5-J George: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-100-II Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator B.VI: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged
A-20G Havoc: 4 destroyed
A-26B Invader: 6 destroyed, 6 damaged
A-26B Invader: 1 destroyed by flak
B-24J Liberator: 3 damaged
P-47N Thunderbolt: 2 destroyed
PBJ-1J Mitchell: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
PV-2 Harpoon: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 21

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x PV-2 Harpoon bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 23
N1K2-J George x 2
N1K5-J George x 13
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 6
Ki-83 x 1
Ki-84b Frank x 16

Allied aircraft
Liberator B.VI x 7
Liberator GR.VI x 10
PB4Y-2 Privateer x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K5-J George: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator B.VI: 5 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 1 destroyed by flak
Liberator GR.VI: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
Liberator GR.VI: 1 destroyed by flak

PB4Y-2 Privateer: 6 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x PB4Y-2 Privateer bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 74 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 13
N1K5-J George x 5
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 2
Ki-84b Frank x 8

Allied aircraft
A-26B Invader x 3
B-24J Liberator x 6
F-6D Mustang x 18
P-51D Mustang x 72
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 10

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
A-26B Invader: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 2 damaged
P-51D Mustang: 1 destroyed
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 20

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 8000 feet

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 4
N1K5-J George x 1
Ki-84b Frank x 1

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 14
PV-1 Ventura x 11

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 destroyed
PV-1 Ventura: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x PV-1 Ventura bombing from 8000 feet

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7437 troops, 285 guns, 382 vehicles, Assault Value = 3057

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3227
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 5/23/2019 4:34:20 PM   
Lowpe

Impressive.

The A26b makes for a great low level night bomber, having only two engines they can really dodge those pesky balloons. I also used them as a low level naval bomber too...I seem to recall them targeting small craft pretty well.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/23/2019 4:38:01 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3228
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 8:40:19 AM   
obvert

July 24-25, 1945

I am so far behind here. Work got the better of me for a bit there, but I'll do my best to catch up in the next couple of days.

A few P-47N sweeps at Nagasaki go badly for the Allies. Maybe more where supposed to fly but didn't?

A fox gets in with the hens at Soerabaja. A few transports and three Es sunk, but overall not catastrophic. Strike aircraft are operating in the area, but hard to hit the singles as usual.

Huge bombing runs at Singers now that there is only one base here to concentrate on. Flak does take a toll, but supply goes down too.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 24, 1945

Day Time Surface Combat, near Soerabaja at 56,104, Range 18,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E Kurahashi, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
E Kamome, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
E Sarushima, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

AK Akiura Maru
AK Kumagawa Maru
AK Kamogawa Maru
AK Keiyo Maru
AK Kenyo Maru
AK Kogyo Maru
AK Kyusyu Maru
AK Sinko Maru
AK Seia Maru
AK Tamagawa Maru
AK Tamon Maru
AK Toa Maru
AK Teikoku Maru
AK Yamabiko Maru
AK Yamagiri Maru
AK Yamazuki Maru, Shell hits 1
AK Yodogawa Maru
AK Onoe Maru
AK Kosin Maru, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
AK Nissan Maru
AK Nichiyu Maru
AK Nitti Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
AK Nitiran Maru
AK Naruto Maru
AK Nozima Maru
AK Noto Maru
AK Nissyu Maru
AK Nitisan Maru
AK Huzikawa Maru
AK Mogamigawa Maru
AK Shinanogawa Maru
AK Tenyo Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Harrison, Shell hits 3

Allied Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Japanese TF suspends loading operations and begins to get underway
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 43,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 21
J7W1 Shinden x 27
N1K2-J George x 4
N1K5-J George x 27
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 10
Ki-83 x 5
Ki-84b Frank x 4
Ki-84r Frank x 3

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K5-J George: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 5 destroyed

Raid detected at 49 NM, estimated altitude 46,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 19
J7W1 Shinden x 25
N1K2-J George x 4
N1K5-J George x 20
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 8
Ki-83 x 3
Ki-84b Frank x 3
Ki-84r Frank x 3

Allied aircraft
P-47N Thunderbolt x 22

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-47N Thunderbolt: 6 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 68 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 4
Liberator B.VI x 3
Wellington GR.XIII x 12
B-24J Liberator x 23
B-25J11 Mitchell x 24

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-25D Mitchell: 1 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 1 destroyed by flak
Wellington GR.XIII: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 4 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak
B-25J11 Mitchell: 5 damaged
B-25J11 Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 18

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-25D Mitchell bombing from 8000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 25, 1945

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 4
Wellington GR.XIII x 3
B-24J Liberator x 9
Beaufort VIII x 3
B-24J Liberator x 43
B-25J11 Mitchell x 21
P-38L Lightning x 12

Allied aircraft losses
B-25D Mitchell: 1 damaged
Wellington GR.XIII: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 9 damaged
Beaufort VIII: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 18 damaged
B-25J11 Mitchell: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
100 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Vehicles lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 22

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-25D Mitchell bombing from 8000 feet

Morning Air attack on Ambon , at 76,109

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed on ground
D4Y4 Judy: 3 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 13 damaged

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 39

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 5000 feet

Sub attack near Balikpapan at 64,100

Japanese Ships
AO Sunosaki, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
E Nasami

Allied Ships
SS Toro

SS Toro launches 6 torpedoes at AO Sunosaki
Toro bottoming out ....
E Nasami fails to find sub, continues to search...

Ground combat at Samah (69,63)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 8010 troops, 84 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 211

Defending force 6818 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 134

Allied adjusted assault: 48

Japanese adjusted defense: 31

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
432 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
153 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 46 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
22nd (East African) Brigade
26th Indian Brigade

Defending units:
Ikaiei SNLF
41st Nav Gd /1
8th Garrison Unit /7
Kainan Naval Base Force

Looks like the DS and company are heading for Luzon or the PI in general. At least that is the current direction. I'll occupy some coastal bases in the hope he's not prepped. Not much here though. It's free for the taking, really.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3229
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 9:23:24 AM   
obvert

July 26-27, 1945

Allied strikes hit tankers at Manila, which I'd been hoping for, but they're well escorted and not all of my CAP was yet in place. Damn. Missed opportunity. I know I'll lose them, but the endgame for Japan is about "what can I get back for the VPs that will inevitably be lost?"

I didn't play this well, and the Allies avoided big losses. Aparri falls as expected to troops that were at least partially prepped, and Luzon is Japanese for only a while longer.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 26, 1945

Naval Gun Fire at Singapore - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
MTB 306, Shell hits 2, Mine hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
MTB 299, Shell hits 1, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

12th Base Force firing at MTB 306
12th Base Force firing at MTB 299

Night Time Surface Combat, near Iwo-jima at 105,76, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E No.9
E No.67, Shell hits 1, on fire
TK San Luis Maru
TK Syoyo Maru, Shell hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Syunsei Maru, Shell hits 2
xAK Wakatu Maru
xAK Tensin Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Gyoko Maru
xAK Eizan Maru
xAK Kaisyo Maru
xAK Kokuryu Maru
xAK Kotohira Maru
xAK Tempei Maru, Shell hits 2
xAK Taizin Maru
xAK Nittai Maru
xAK Mansei Maru
xAK Meiu Maru
xAK Syoryu Maru
xAK Teiryu Maru
TK Koho Maru
TK Yamaoka Maru
SC Ch 56
SC Ch 57
SC Ch 61

Allied Ships
DD Rogers
DD Myles C. Fox

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 92% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 28,000 yards...

Night Air attack on Sapporo , at 120,51

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 2
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 10

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 21
B-29-25 Superfort x 5
B-29B Superfort x 38

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 11 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 damaged
B-29B Superfort: 7 damaged

Manpower hits 258
Fires 135035

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-29B Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 1
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 10

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 7
B-29-25 Superfort x 7
B-29B Superfort x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 5 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 2 damaged
B-29B Superfort: 7 damaged

Manpower hits 56
Fires 164415

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B-29B Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Raid detected at 69 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 1
Ki-45 KAId Nick x 8

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAId Nick: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 4 damaged

Manpower hits 14
Fires 163620

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Raid detected at 25 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 5

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 2 damaged

Manpower hits 12
Fires 318060

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-29-1 Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Pre-Invasion action off Aparri (82,73)

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
APD Gantner
APD Enright
APD Cread
APD Burke
APD Belet
APD Arthur L. Bristol
APD Amesbury
APD Weber
APD Kinzer
APD Bunch
APD Kline
APD Knudson
APD Barr
APD Daniel T. Griffin
APD Reeves
APD Scribner
APD Diachenko
APD Kephart
APD Newman
APD Lloyd
APD Bull
APD Kennison
APD Crosby
APD Dent
APD Waters

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

APD Gantner fired at enemy troops

Morning Air attack on TF, near Manila at 79,77

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 20
Ki-102b Randy x 22

Allied aircraft
Hellcat F.II x 21
F6F-3 Hellcat x 18
F6F-5 Hellcat x 21
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 3 destroyed
Ki-102b Randy: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hellcat F.II: 1 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
TK Tenshin Maru, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Amato Maru, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
PC Sumire, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
PB Yamabato Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Tokati Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SB2C-5 Helldiver releasing from 4000'

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 16

Allied aircraft
Hellcat F.II x 14
F6F-3 Hellcat x 11
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 14

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hellcat F.II: 1 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
TK Kanze Maru, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
SC CHa-11, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PB Tatsumiya Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SC CHa-7, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
TK Arima Maru #4, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x SB2C-5 Helldiver releasing from 2000'

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 6

Allied aircraft
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-5 Helldiver: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
PB Tatsumiya Maru, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x SB2C-5 Helldiver releasing from 4000'

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 27, 1945

Ground combat at Aparri (82,73)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2871 troops, 40 guns, 52 vehicles, Assault Value = 1625

Defending force 599 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Allied adjusted assault: 35

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 35 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Aparri !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
137 casualties reported
Squads: 33 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
6th USMC Tank Battalion
CenPac Amphib Tank Brigade
24th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
24th Infantry Division
815th Towed Tank Destroyer Battalion
2nd USMC Amphb Tank Battalion
711th Tank Battalion
2/4th Armoured Regiment
8th Australian Division
44th Tank Battalion
Port Moresby Brigade
931st Aviation Grp Engineer Aviation Battalion
33rd Medium Regiment

Defending units:
Ankei SNLF

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3230
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 9:56:33 AM   
obvert

July 28, 1945

WOW!!

What an great almost turn! The Allies send a CV TF a little to close to Java, and there is NO CAP up! Judys sortied, but only a few made it through the intense flak, and they all missed. Wish I'd had a few more active. Crap.

This is very odd, and I'm sure the TF will pull back or set a massive CAP trap next turn. I'll keep Jakes on to try to track it, and an Emily patrol is also flying deep search. Very interesting here.

Graces do sortie nearby on the other side of Java and get some hits on more DDs trying to infiltrate. Nice!

Lots of sweeps at Manila and Palembang.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 28, 1945

ASW attack near Iwo-jima at 111,82

Japanese Ships
PB Okiyu Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Nitii Maru
xAK Nittai Maru
xAK Nitiho Maru
xAK Toho Maru
PB Nako Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS Rock

SS Rock launches 6 torpedoes at PB Okiyu Maru
PB Nako Maru #2 attacking submerged sub ....

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 38,900 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 25
Ki-83 x 22
Ki-100-II Tony x 22
Ki-102b Randy x 19

Allied aircraft
Corsair II x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 2 destroyed
Ki-100-II Tony: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair II: 1 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Palembang , at 48,91

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 46,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M8 Zero x 15
Ki-83 x 14
Ki-84r Frank x 29
Ki-102b Randy x 11

Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt II x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M8 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Thunderbolt II: 3 destroyed

Raid detected at 15 NM, estimated altitude 41,300 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M8 Zero x 11
Ki-83 x 13
Ki-84r Frank x 23
Ki-102b Randy x 10

Allied aircraft
Corsair IV x 15

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair IV: 2 destroyed

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M8 Zero x 9
Ki-83 x 9
Ki-84r Frank x 18
Ki-102b Randy x 9

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 16

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 21 NM, estimated altitude 44,900 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 18
Ki-83 x 20
Ki-100-II Tony x 14
Ki-102b Randy x 15

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-100-II Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 2 destroyed

Raid detected at 67 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M8 Zero x 7
Ki-83 x 8
Ki-84r Frank x 17
Ki-102b Randy x 5

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Makassar at 62,107

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B7A2 Grace x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A2 Grace: 6 damaged
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DD Hogue
DD Camperdown, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Barfleur, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Armada, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x B7A2 Grace releasing from 2000'
4 x B7A2 Grace releasing from 1000'

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Christmas Island IO at 45,107

Raid detected at 95 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y4 Judy x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y4 Judy: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
D4Y4 Judy: 8 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CV Antietam.
CA Devonshire
DD Southerland
BB Duke of York

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 10000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
4 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'

Banzai! - Kawakubo I. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Matsuyama I. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Shiga E. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Kamisaka S. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/4/2019 9:58:44 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3231
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 9:57:36 AM   
obvert

The air losses for the day about even again. Did slightly better against the sweeps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3232
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 9:57:46 AM   
obvert

Ok. Finally an air loss tally for the last two very busy months in the air. I knew the Allies had suffered, but this begins to show how much. That is also mostly over Japanese bases, so a lot of Allied pilots lost. VP gains will be significantly better factoring the 4E losses as well.

Allied Air Losses

May 30: 29,996
July 30 34,132
--------------------

Japanese Air Losses

May 30: 35,563
July 30 38,752
--------------------

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3233
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 11:10:52 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

Aircraft Attacking:

What is up with the crazy high altitude drop?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3234
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 11:40:07 AM   
Mike Solli

Glide bombing?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3235
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 1:05:31 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Aircraft Attacking:

What is up with the crazy high altitude drop?

I hadn't noticed that! I'd have to watch again, but those were probably it by flak, and maybe it gives that message when they convert to Kamis after being hit at 10k?

Or on the approach they just got hit and dropped from there?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3236
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 1:08:39 PM   
HansBolter

So what happened to all those guys willing to die for the emperor?

Did they?

Combat reports leave so much to be desired.

Set us up with great anticipation waiting to see what happens and.........(crickets chirping)...................NOTHING!

What altitude did they go in at? I have always operated under the general forum wisdom of dive bombing needing to be set between 10k-14k. I set mine at 12k typically.

Hans

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3237
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 1:13:39 PM   
obvert

July 29, 1945

The Allies keep going around Luzon, and this time I do get the strike planes, although enough fly at multiple targets that I also still lost some tankers.

A para-drop sacrificially tested the defenses at Singapore. Kind of silly. Now he knows it's forts 6. Who knows, maybe that'll make him more likely to move in. We'll see.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 29, 1945

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 45

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
AK Nitti Maru, Bomb hits 12, and is sunk
AK Yodogawa Maru, Bomb hits 9, and is sunk
E Nasami, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
AK Kosin Maru, Bomb hits 9, and is sunk
AK Tamagawa Maru, Bomb hits 10, and is sunk
AMc Takasago Maru, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AMc Kyo Maru #1, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
ACM Hakozake Maru, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 4
Port hits 24
Port fuel hits 9
Port supply hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 13000 feet
Port Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lucena at 79,80

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 7
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 13

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
E Matsuwa, Bomb hits 1, on fire
TK Tsurushima Maru, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Hofuku Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Jinju Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Kinshu Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x SB2C-4 Helldiver releasing from 2000'

Afternoon Air attack on Sendai , at 117,58

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 45,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M5 Jack x 10
N1K5-J George x 36

Allied aircraft
P-38L Lightning x 22

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-38L Lightning: 8 destroyed

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Manila at 79,77

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 23
Ki-83 x 22
Ki-100-II Tony x 16
Ki-102b Randy x 16

Allied aircraft
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 14
SB2C-5 Helldiver x 81

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 10 destroyed
SB2C-5 Helldiver: 37 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
TK Eiho Maru, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
PB Nagata Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x SB2C-5 Helldiver releasing from 4000'

Raid detected at 35 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 13
Ki-83 x 14
Ki-100-II Tony x 12
Ki-102b Randy x 4

Allied aircraft
TBM-3 Avenger x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBM-3 Avenger: 7 destroyed

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 11
Ki-83 x 13
Ki-100-II Tony x 8
Ki-102b Randy x 4

Allied aircraft
TBM-3 Avenger x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBM-3 Avenger: 5 destroyed

Afternoon Air attack on Sendai , at 117,58

Raid detected at 44 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M5 Jack x 9
N1K5-J George x 28

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M5 Jack: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 327 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 28

Defending force 110265 troops, 815 guns, 704 vehicles, Assault Value = 2281

Allied adjusted assault: 0

Japanese adjusted defense: 18979

Allied assault odds: 1 to 99 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Allied ground losses:
356 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 0 disabled

Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
50th Indian Para Bde /1

Defending units:
1st INA Subhas Regiment
44th Naval Guard Unit
65th Brigade
80th Garrison Battalion
27th Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd INA Gandhi Regiment
65th Naval Guard Unit
26th Tank Regiment
3rd INA Azad Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
2nd South Seas Det.
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy /1
4th INA Nehru Regiment
21st Ind.Mixed Brigade
Sasebo 8th SNLF
2nd Amphibious Brigade
Yokosuka 4th SNLF /2
29th Ind.Mixed Brigade
49th Tank Battalion
4th Ind.Mixed Regiment
4th Raiding Regiment
Kure 3rd SNLF
33rd Division
120th Div /2
2nd Raiding Rgt /1
5th Field AF Construction Battalion
43rd Const Co
89th JAAF AF Bn
40th JAAF AF Bn
17th JAAF AF Bn
18th Area Army
3rd Mortar Battalion
201st JAAF AF Bn
3rd Air Division
41st JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th INA Regiment
111th Naval Construction Battalion
29th Army
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
13th Ind.Hvy.Art. Regiment
Maraisha JNAF Base Force
9th Ind. Engineer Regiment
4th Air Division
87th JAAF AF Bn /1
9th Air Division
28th JAAF AF Bn
Southern Fleet
12th Base Force
94th JAAF AF Bn
80th JAAF AF Bn
91st JAAF AF Bn
93rd JAAF AF Bn
105th JAAF AF Bn
25th Army
30th JAAF AF Bn
23rd JAAF AF Bn /1

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3238
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 1:15:42 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

So what happened to all those guys willing to die for the emperor?

Did they?

Combat reports leave so much to be desired.

Set us up with great anticipation waiting to see what happens and.........(crickets chirping)...................NOTHING!

What altitude did they go in at? I have always operated under the general forum wisdom of dive bombing needing to be set between 10k-14k. I set mine at 12k typically.

Yeah, watching I saw them all splash rather than hit. Nice to see a CV pop up, but so frustrating not to get even one hit when he obviously made a mistake that should be punished!

Mine here were set at 10k.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3239
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 1:40:18 PM   
obvert

July 30, 1945

The Antietam fades into the IO and away from air threats form Java. I set a few strikes just in case, but I'm sure they would have just been massacred.

The DDs also get out of range and move back to OZ. I think one may have gone down, but not sure.

Other than that a few small Strat strikes on Sapporo, the usual strikes on Singers. As well as one sacrificial DD.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 30, 1945

Naval Gun Fire at Singapore - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
DD Trafalgar, Shell hits 6, Mine hits 1, on fire

12th Base Force firing at DD Trafalgar
DD Trafalgar firing at 12th Base Force

Night Naval bombardment of Hankow at 85,50

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-Sa Irving: 4 damaged
N1K5-J George: 11 damaged
N1K5-J George: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-83: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Mertz

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 7

DD Mertz firing at Hankow

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI