Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 7:32:20 PM   
Lord_Vindicare

Im a big fan of WitE, and while playing the thought occurred to me how awesome it would be to have a campaign set around the Ork wars for Armageddon. Is it possible to set something like this up? I know you can do custom maps, but would the units be possible to do?
Post #: 1
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 7:38:56 PM   
btd64

I think your in the wrong forum. Just a guess....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Lord_Vindicare)
Post #: 2
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 7:51:09 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Vindicare

Im a big fan of WitE, and while playing the thought occurred to me how awesome it would be to have a campaign set around the Ork wars for Armageddon. Is it possible to set something like this up? I know you can do custom maps, but would the units be possible to do?

You would have to come up with the unit stats on your own. Not familiar with Warhammer but it looks to be fairly popular.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 3
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 8:22:10 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Didn't somebody do a Lord of the Rings scenario?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 10:32:49 PM   
Xenomorph

One of the big questions I think he’s asking is how hard is it to create new units from scratch. I’m brand new and have no idea but I’m sure plenty of people here do. I’m wondering that myself.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/5/2019 11:13:32 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xenomorph

One of the big questions I think he’s asking is how hard is it to create new units from scratch. I’m brand new and have no idea but I’m sure plenty of people here do. I’m wondering that myself.

17.3.3 in the manual gives a unit creation example.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 6
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/6/2019 12:47:52 AM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Vindicare

Yes, it's "possible".

Basically you're talking about having to create a whole new .eqp file. It's doable but difficult and time-consuming. I recommend designing all your equipments on a speadsheet first.

And once you've designed a new .eqp file, then you have to design the map along with everything else to create a complete scenario. Good luck.

Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)

Post #: 7
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 12:07:04 AM   
Xenomorph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Ugg! U r right of course! Somebody’s thumb is RTFM. That’s a great thumb. I usu do try to peruse the manual first. Sorry bout that & thx for the patient answer!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 5:00:46 PM   
VHauser

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ugg! U r right of course! Somebody’s thumb is RTFM. That’s a great thumb. I usu do try to peruse the manual first. Sorry bout that & thx for the patient answer!

This is incorrect. I know Lord Vindicare used the word "units", but he wasn't mainly talking about units in the TOAW sense.

There are 7 races in W40k--Human, Chaos, Eldar, Tyranid, Tau, Necron, and Ork. And they all use some combination of "magic" and "high-tech" weapons. So, that means he's going to have to get into the .eqp database and make some serious modifications.

It's only after he's done all that work on creating a whole new .eqp file that he'll be able to create "units" (according to manual 17.3.3) in the TOAW sense.

Personally, I don't think TOAW is well suited (and probably not suited at all) to achieve what he wants.

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 9
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 6:17:03 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: VHauser

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is incorrect. I know Lord Vindicare used the word "units", but he wasn't mainly talking about units in the TOAW sense.

There are 7 races in W40k--Human, Chaos, Eldar, Tyranid, Tau, Necron, and Ork. And they all use some combination of "magic" and "high-tech" weapons. So, that means he's going to have to get into the .eqp database and make some serious modifications.

It's only after he's done all that work on creating a whole new .eqp file that he'll be able to create "units" (according to manual 17.3.3) in the TOAW sense.

Personally, I don't think TOAW is well suited (and probably not suited at all) to achieve what he wants.

His question was OT and had nothing to do with W40k (as I understood it). It was just a newbie question about creating units.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 10
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 7:15:01 PM   
VHauser

Curtis Lemay:
"His question was OT and had nothing to do with W40k (as I understood it). It was just a newbie question about creating units."

Wow. You never cease to amaze me. His thread title is: "Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario?"

In his first sentence: "...thought occurred to me how awesome it would be to have a campaign set around the Ork wars for Armageddon."

His second sentence: "Is it possible to set something like this up?"

So far his entire post is talking about setting up a W40k scenario/campaign. So far, you have completely misunderstood what he is asking.

Now his third sentence: "I know you can do custom maps, but would the units be possible to do?"

First he mentions 'custom' maps. Right there should give you a clue what he wants if you knew how to parse a sentence. When he asks, "...would the units be possible to do?", he is NOT asking how to create units. He is asking if it would be possible to create custom units for a W40k scenario/campaign.

Sigh.

< Message edited by VHauser -- 8/8/2019 7:16:16 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 9:00:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: VHauser

Curtis Lemay:
"His question was OT and had nothing to do with W40k (as I understood it). It was just a newbie question about creating units."

Wow. You never cease to amaze me. His thread title is: "Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario?"

In his first sentence: "...thought occurred to me how awesome it would be to have a campaign set around the Ork wars for Armageddon."

His second sentence: "Is it possible to set something like this up?"

So far his entire post is talking about setting up a W40k scenario/campaign. So far, you have completely misunderstood what he is asking.

Now his third sentence: "I know you can do custom maps, but would the units be possible to do?"

First he mentions 'custom' maps. Right there should give you a clue what he wants if you knew how to parse a sentence. When he asks, "...would the units be possible to do?", he is NOT asking how to create units. He is asking if it would be possible to create custom units for a W40k scenario/campaign.

Sigh.

That was "Lord_Vindicare. I was replying to Xenomorph.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 12
RE: Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? - 8/8/2019 9:25:46 PM   
VHauser

Well, blow me down! Looks like both Curtis and I are partially correct.

Xenomorph's first sentence missed Lord Vindicare's original intent. Lord Vindicare wasn't interested in 17.3.3. He was interested in the feasibility of inventing a W40k scenario from the bottom up.

Xenomorph's remaining sentences were about general TOAW unit-creation (17.3.3).

I responded (correctly) to Xenomorph's first sentence and Curtis responded (correctly) to Xenomorph's remaining sentences. All is well.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Feasibility of making a Warhammer 40k scenario? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI