Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nuclear tipped ARM?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Nuclear tipped ARM? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/2/2019 12:16:46 AM   
Ancalagon451

I was just now browsing the published rules for GMT's boardgame Red Storm (title should be clue enough of what the game is about), and in the campaign book I found some late scenarios making use of Kh-28/58 (AS-9/11) tactical ARM missiles carrying "small nuclear warheads" (quoted from the book).

Based on the game effect described, the alleged warheads should be in the single kiloton range.

This is something I have never heard before, so I'm asking here if someone has ever read or seen anything about the existance of this kind of weapons.

Ancalagon
Post #: 1
RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/2/2019 4:02:06 AM   
Fido81

The pre-1979 database has a couple nuclear-tipped ARMs. The AS-6 Kingfish A has a couple Mods (variants) with 350 kiloton warheads.

On the US side, B-52 aircraft were equipped with the AGM-128B Hound Dog (also in the pre-1979 database) standoff missile from the early 60s through the mid 70s. Wikipedia suggests that it probably would have been used in a DEAD role (its warhead was 1.3 megatons), though it used inertial guidance. Because of the warhead size and fuzing options (which I do not think are replicated in CMANO), and its pretty substantial range (DB says 700 miles), it probably could have been used in an airfield suppression role as well.

Both of those seem like fairly strategic weapons, but I'm also in the "wrong" database for Red Storm (and additionally have questions about whether nuclear weapons use could ever be a truly tactical operation).

(in reply to Ancalagon451)
Post #: 2
RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/2/2019 4:55:44 AM   
Cik

in some of the northern inferno scenario you get B-52s equipped with nuclear ARMs, the name of the weapon escapes me at the moment, though.

IIRC they are very effective, as you might imagine. the diamondback principle: "the seekerhead doesn't have to be any good- as long as i'm in the same gridsquare it is good enough."

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 3
RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/3/2019 2:25:17 PM   
erwinuri

Cik you may be speaking about the AGM-69A SRAM. It is not an ARM per se but we use it in the last episode of Northern Inferno. An AGM-69B variant was to be fielded, this one being an ARM, but never did.

Uri

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 4
RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/3/2019 4:35:21 PM   
Cik

hey, whatever works.

(in reply to erwinuri)
Post #: 5
RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? - 10/11/2019 8:03:43 AM   
erwinuri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cik

hey, whatever works.

Sure, a nuke is a nuke

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Nuclear tipped ARM? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI