Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 11:49:17 PM   
nicwb

quote:

Discovering Battlestar Galactica. Starting season 2 right now. I know, I am late.

No spoilers please

If you like Sci-Fi - definitely better late than never !

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3331
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/16/2019 11:52:36 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

+++++ Care Spoilers+++++

What happened to Tina though - did she send the text or was it sent for her as she was otherwise indisposed.....??

I assume she didn't send it voluntarily?

Tina's phone but Tina disposed of is my guess.

An truly excellent series and many, many thanks to loki100 for recommending it.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3332
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/16/2019 11:58:27 PM   
demyansk

F.I.S.T with Sly Stallone.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3333
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/17/2019 7:50:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

quote:

+++++ Care Spoilers+++++

What happened to Tina though - did she send the text or was it sent for her as she was otherwise indisposed.....??

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That is my guess too. End of the day she is stealing from a bunch of gangsters. I can't see them taking that well. That said of course, I can't see them leaving either brother alive....

But its a good job they did - or at least in the case of Jake who was a thoroughly watchable, likeable, vulnerable character. So pleased he got to ride off into the sunset with the very-attractive-in-an-understated-way-Angie

Yes, many thanks again loki - not a series I would have picked out to watch without the recommendation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/17/2019 10:54:58 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3334
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/17/2019 10:24:38 AM   
loki100

we heard about it by word of mouth, it was woefully under-advertised by BBC Scotland given it was their first relatively major in-house production since the new format/Channel was set up a couple of years back.

and agree, in the end everyone (apart from poor Tina) sort of ended up where they deserved/expected. I assume the Russians will be looking for a discount on their future SLP deals?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3335
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/17/2019 9:17:03 PM   
loki100

War of the Worlds anybody? Found it perfectly ok ... in fact it was ok

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3336
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/18/2019 5:22:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I will catch up on it this week. I forgot it was on to be honest. We were watching a recording of the Prince Andrew debacle.....

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3337
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/18/2019 5:30:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I will catch up on it this week. I forgot it was on to be honest. We were watching a recording of the Prince Andrew debacle.....
warspite1

Mmmmm the jury is defo out on this one. All a bit er... I don't know really.... but there is something lacking. The martians aren't particularly impressive and the whole thing seems a little underwhelming... And it looks like there might be some sort of dual storyline thing going on too - which may or may not work.

I'll toon in next time but I do hope it bucks up a bit!!

At least Eleanor Tomlinson looks good. She's no drop dead beauty but is a fine looking woman

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/18/2019 5:32:07 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3338
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/18/2019 6:04:06 PM   
loki100

agree, I'm sticking to 'ok' as my judgement so far - it may improve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3339
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/18/2019 8:26:47 PM   
shunwick

Was just about to start watching the first episode and then those naughty people at SI moved the official release of Football Manger 2020 to today instead of tomorrow... What can you do?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3340
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/19/2019 2:36:08 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Mmmmm the jury is defo out on this one. All a bit er... I don't know really.... but there is something lacking. The martians aren't particularly impressive and the whole thing seems a little underwhelming... And it looks like there might be some sort of dual storyline thing going on too - which may or may not work.

At least Eleanor Tomlinson looks good. She's no drop dead beauty but is a fine looking woman

Hmmm...

First episodes are tricky. I agree a little underwhelming although HG's book was a slow start if I remember correctly...

Definitely needs to rack up the tension. But saw enough to keep me watching.

Third episode of His dark materials was certainly watchable and I am warming to this story. Unlike The War of Worlds, I have not read any of the source books so coming at this 'fresh' so to speak.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3341
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/19/2019 2:47:32 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+++++ Care Spoilers+++++

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That is my guess too. End of the day she is stealing from a bunch of gangsters. I can't see them taking that well. That said of course, I can't see them leaving either brother alive....

They were gangsters not homicidal nut jobs. Tina yes, stealing from them is a big no no. The brothers, on the other hand, they burnt down the shop, thugged their way into buying Max's law firm for a £1 and breaking his nose in the process. I don't think they needed to do anything else to them. Tina was personal. The brothers were business. At least, that's how I saw it.

Loved Max's smile at the end as the relief kicked in.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3342
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/21/2019 7:41:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

Why the Gospels are Myth | Richard Carrier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmMFQzrEsc

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3343
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 6:47:21 PM   
warspite1

Finally got around to watching Captain Marvel. I wasn't going to bother because that genre generally doesn't float my boat, and the reviews were mixed.

Well I'm glad I did because I thought that was an excellent film - and was as good as Wonder Woman.

Attachment (3)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3344
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 6:57:05 PM   
Orm

quote:

Finally got around to watching Captain Marvel. I wasn't going to bother because that genre generally doesn't float my boat, and the reviews were mixed.

Well I'm glad I did because I thought that was an excellent film - and was as good as Wonder Woman.

That doesn't fill me with confidence that I am going to like Captain Marvel. I have begun watching Wonder Woman a while back but had to take a break from it because I thought the story was a bit to bad, and the fight scenes were dumb. Then I continued where I stopped and I think I managed to watch a few more minutes before I had to stop again. I do plan to see the entire film at some point. Because I generally like superhero stories, and films. But the plot here just felt so stupid. And how they handled the fights from a tactical perspective. *argh*

Anyway. I do plan to see most of the superhero films. Including Captain Marvel. It is just that I want to see them in order made. And without having to either spend a small fortune or to get any more streaming services.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3345
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 7:02:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

That doesn't fill me with confidence that I am going to like Captain Marvel. I have begun watching Wonder Woman a while back but had to take a break from it because I thought the story was a bit to bad, and the fight scenes were dumb. Then I continued where I stopped and I think I managed to watch a few more minutes before I had to stop again. I do plan to see the entire film at some point. Because I generally like superhero stories, and films. But the plot here just felt so stupid. And how they handled the fights from a tactical perspective. *argh*

Anyway. I do plan to see most of the superhero films. Including Captain Marvel. It is just that I want to see them in order made. And without having to either spend a small fortune or to get any more streaming services.
warspite1

Maybe perhaps possibly I wasn't giving the plotlines the critical eye I might reserve for other films....

But in all seriousness, I thought both very watchable. I hope I haven't put you off Captain Marvel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3346
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 7:04:31 PM   
Orm

Begun watching The Crown, season three, a couple of days ago. Seen five episodes so far. And it continues being a good show with generally strong acting performances. Albeit, this season feels a bit to low paced compared to earlier seasons. And the show presents British modern history from a different perspective. The Aberfan episode was simply heart-breaking.

< Message edited by Orm -- 11/23/2019 7:07:29 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3347
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 7:06:02 PM   
Orm

quote:

Maybe perhaps possibly I wasn't giving the plotlines the critical eye I might reserve for other films....

But in all seriousness, I thought both very watchable. I hope I haven't put you off Captain Marvel.

Not at all. Before you made the positive comment I had no intention of seeing the film. Now I plan to do so (at some point).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3348
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 7:20:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Begun watching The Crown, season three, a couple of days ago. Seen five episodes so far. And it continues being a good show with generally strong acting performances. Albeit, this season feels a bit to low paced compared to earlier seasons. And the show presents British modern history from a different perspective. The Aberfan episode was simply heart-breaking.
warspite1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFz3ODVdvS4

I don't know if you can see this (or have seen it previously). But this is a BBC documentary about the Aberfan disaster. Yes - heart-breaking....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/23/2019 8:10:04 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3349
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/23/2019 7:26:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFz3ODVdvS4

I don't know if you can see this (or have seen it previously). But this is a BBC documentary about the Aberfan disaster. Yes - heart-breaking....
warspite1

Speaking of heart-breaking, but quality documentary's, here is another BBC documentary - this time about the Penlee Lifeboat Disaster. Heroes all Desperately sad but well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIX0VnUMKo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/23/2019 8:10:41 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3350
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/24/2019 9:22:47 AM   
warspite1

Watched 303 Squadron last night - about the Polish fighter squadron that fought so well in the Battle of Britain. There is a film about this squadron, which goes by a number of names, that was made in 2018 (same year this was made) and stars the actor that played Ramsay Bolton. I watched this film thinking it was that version.....

All I can say is, if you ever get the chance to watch this Polish version, then don't, give it a wide berth - it was pretty awful.....

The action shots were just about okay, the acting was okay but the dialogue was abysmal and the storyline disjointed, and not more than a little ridiculous.

Some M15 man was seemingly attached at the hip to an RAF officer who's sole contribution to the film seemed to be saying 'bloody Poles'. Working with the MI5 man was a female RAF officer who seemed to be acting as prostitute in chief - although it was never really clear why, or what her mission was except she was to get close to the Polish squadron leader(?) and not the pilot she did get close to and then dropped because he wouldn't accept the transfer she'd arranged to a training command so he wouldn't get killed.

Meanwhile there were another couple joined at the hip - this time two German fliers - one a Nazi and the other seemingly not, and who knew the Polish fliers from before the war and recognised one of the Poles during an air battle because he's the only pilot who flies that way!

Are you still with me?

There was also some nonsense about a fuel injection system not on the Spitfire that some Polish character (the wife? of one of the pilots) knows about but she's captured by Germans and then that storyline is forgotten...

Wow!

The men of 303 Squadron - and the Poles who fought for the Allies generally - need a better show case than this nonsense. Maybe the Ramsay Bolton version will be an improvement - it can't be worse.

Meanwhile a proper tribute to the Polish airmen. This is the Polish War Memorial in North London (shame the impressive eagle is masked somewhat by the trees).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/24/2019 9:24:05 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3351
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/25/2019 5:47:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Hmmm...

First episodes are tricky. I agree a little underwhelming although HG's book was a slow start if I remember correctly...

Third episode of His dark materials was certainly watchable and I am warming to this story. Unlike The War of Worlds, I have not read any of the source books so coming at this 'fresh' so to speak.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I don't think the director could have made a slower production if he tried!! How do you make such a great story so slooooooooooooow??

I'll continue to stick with it but I'm not exactly counting the hours to the next episode...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3352
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/26/2019 3:59:05 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Hmmm...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I don't think the director could have made a slower production if he tried!! How do you make such a great story so slooooooooooooow??

I'll continue to stick with it but I'm not exactly counting the hours to the next episode...

Agreed. I must admit to be disappointed so far.

Best wishes,
Stve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3353
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/26/2019 6:46:46 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Stve

yep, given its 1 more to go and comes after something I am already watching I'll see the final episode, but its hard not to see the whole thing as a missed opportunity?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3354
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/29/2019 7:56:40 AM   
warspite1

Disney seem to be going through a bit of a lean patch at present....

I watched the Dumbo live action today and was not overly impressed. I mean it's okay but could have been soooo much better. The story (different to the original Disney animation) was perfectly okay but the script, the pace, the direction and even some of the acting, was well off....

The female child was simply wooden in delivery, the chief villain was annoying (and his main action (that caused his downfall) made no sense), other parts were underplayed - the whole thing felt stunted. I mean seriously how can ANYONE, let alone a seasoned director, make a film about Dumbo and not have the audience reaching for the Kleenex???? How is that even possible?? well Tim Burton somehow managed the impossible.

At least Eva Green was in it....

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/29/2019 7:59:05 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3355
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/2/2019 6:16:26 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Stve

yep, given its 1 more to go and comes after something I am already watching I'll see the final episode, but its hard not to see the whole thing as a missed opportunity?

well that was mind-judderingly boring ... enough to drive one to drinking too much in the hope that it became more watchable

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3356
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/2/2019 8:48:20 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Stve

well that was mind-judderingly boring ... enough to drive one to drinking too much in the hope that it became more watchable

warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

Oh my.... where does one even begin??

What a complete waste of time that was. Boring doesn't even begin to cover it. The dialogue remained stunted and mind-numbingly dull. I thought Rupert Graves was an okay actor but the way he delivered the line enquiring about the black smoke covering the sun was delivered with all the urgency and interest that one might put into enquiring the time.

The only time there was any effort put in was when various characters (usually George, but also the right-on Ogilvie) were slaughtering all things British... oh and the idea of God.... And the only vaguely well done scene was where the little girl (what was her name?) went to retrieve her toy and the alien pounced from behind.

As for the rest, I was just desperate for George to die - as horribly as possible. What a monumentally boring, insipid, annoying character he was. Also, how could Amy not know he had died (and so was hoping it was his name posted on the wall in the previous episode)? I mean she wouldn't have started running unless she'd seen the alien kill him would she?? And what was Tedious George's plan anyway? To bore the poor alien to death - probably with some crappy monologue of how bad the British are. George's brother was just as bad - although at least he had some gumption and tried to kill one of the machines (who knew they were fire-retardant?) before being skewered, which at least stopped him delivering any more pathetic lines in desultory fashion.

Sadly the aliens failed to win and were killed off themselves - although I suspect there were bigger casualties among the hapless viewers who tuned into this vacuous nonsense. And if you hadn't slashed your wrists before the end, then Amy's story to her son would have sapped the will to live of even the stoutest of hearts. Once upon a time there were brown people who had no money but they were all happy.... Jeeeeeeeeez.....

Well done BBC, you've taken a brilliant story and turned into into a total Turkey. Appalling.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3357
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/2/2019 10:00:43 AM   
loki100

aye, if stuck for inspiration why not take a short novel with a pretty good basic story, enough shifts of point of view to allow some variety and just film that?

I'm gonna pitch that idea to the BBC, so at least the next version will be watcheable.

I think it was half way through Amy's speech that I shifted from wine to whisky thereby numbing the growing mental anguish. But yes I think George was out to do a bit of bonding with the beastie where they could agree that Imperialism is a bit off and sit down to agree a mutually satisfying future. Fortunately the beastie (& was that just recycled from Starship Troopers?) had more sense

edit: In the meantime the Dark Materials continues to be perfectly paced and get key things more or less right. The joy on Lyra's face when she first rode the Polar Bear even though she knew she was going to something grim - though that bit lacked the visceral horror that is clear in the books. Even though they are mixing the first 2 books it works well enough.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 12/2/2019 10:21:10 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3358
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/3/2019 1:55:03 AM   
shunwick

The War of the Worlds. Good grief...

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3359
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/6/2019 10:17:29 AM   
Topson4

Genius

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI