Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USV's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> USV's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USV's - 2/16/2020 2:13:27 AM   
ARCNA442

So with all the talk about unmanned warships and the USN's purchase of some prototypes, I was wondering if anyone had done any testing in CMO/CMANO of some of the ideas being discussed? And if you have what are your conclusions?
Post #: 1
RE: USV's - 2/21/2020 4:16:46 AM   
ARCNA442

There doesn't appear to be much interest, but I'll add some of my findings in case someone finds it useful.

I've used the editor to add some notional USV's to existing scenarios. These USV's included a magazine ship (commercial supply vessel with 32x VLS), an AAW sensor platform (commercial supply vessel with TRS-4D and SeaRAM), and a patrol boat (fast response cutter with Hellfire), as well as the Sea Hunter in the DB.

Rather than simply giving my side additional assets, I attempted to remove and equal value worth of traditional assets from the modified scenarios, usually by replacing a DDG with an FFG plus an assorted half dozen USV's.

I found the magazine ships to be mostly worthless. Their vulnerability meant they had to stick with the manned ships for survival, raising the question of why not just skip a step and put the extra VLS cells on the manned ship in the first place.

The AAW sensor platforms were valuable in theory, but in practice were decidedly inferior to AEW aircraft. They were less responsive, more vulnerable, and couldn't provide the same low level coverage.

The patrol boat was exceptionally useful in escalatory scenarios because it could be used to shadow and test unfriendly forces without concern for its safety. And in one scenario one of these crippled a Russian frigate with a full salvo of Hellfires after being fired upon.

The Sea Hunter was another great tool since its active VDS could clear large areas of submarines without putting manned ships at risk. However, it was extremely vulnerable in this role and I lost several of them.

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> USV's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI