Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/28/2020 9:40:26 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

warspite1

Not got a good write up but I'll give it a go (I think it's coming out on Sky Atlantic at the start of May) and see what's what.

I gave up on Westworld after about 15 minutes of the first episode of the latest series. What a load of.... I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on in the first series and season 2 just got more complicated. Series 3 looked like more of the same. I want to be entertained not bamboozled by script writers who fall over themselves in an effort to be oh so clever

I watched the first episode and seems entertaining, even more so if you know some of the history of Los Angeles in the mid-20th Century.

With regard to Westworld, I loved the first season and enjoyed the second season, but it required paying attention to what others were writing about it - a lot of homework for a TV show. The third season is very different, much more of a straightforward sci-fi tale with no parallel time sequences. Looking back, the first season could have stood on its own as a miniseries, showing the evolution of sentience.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3481
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/28/2020 11:09:44 PM   
Chickenboy

Watched "The Great Race" with Mrs. Chickenboy and the kids last night. I'd seen it many years ago, but appreciated the slapstick buffoonery more this time around. Jack Lemon was great as Professor Fate. Natalie Wood looked amazing in a teddy. She looked even more amazing in a teddy in the largest pie fight on film. Pretty ladies? Humor? Pie fights? Vintage cars? What's not to like?

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3482
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/29/2020 3:00:41 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Watched "The Great Race" with Mrs. Chickenboy and the kids last night. I'd seen it many years ago, but appreciated the slapstick buffoonery more this time around. Jack Lemon was great as Professor Fate. Natalie Wood looked amazing in a teddy. She looked even more amazing in a teddy in the largest pie fight on film. Pretty ladies? Humor? Pie fights? Vintage cars? What's not to like?
warspite1

This reminds me of something I watched as a kid. I can't remember who said it - but I'm pretty sure it was Tony Curtis. He said Natalie Wood had no sense of humour. They were doing the pie fight and everyone on the set was cracking up and finding it hilarious, but the actress just didn't get it. Even though I was only a kid, I remember being really saddened by that comment. All that beauty... but no sense of humour. How does anyone get through life without being able to laugh? How very sad

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3483
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/29/2020 3:41:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

warspite1

This reminds me of something I watched as a kid. I can't remember who said it - but I'm pretty sure it was Tony Curtis. He said Natalie Wood had no sense of humour. They were doing the pie fight and everyone on the set was cracking up and finding it hilarious, but the actress just didn't get it. Even though I was only a kid, I remember being really saddened by that comment. All that beauty... but no sense of humour. How does anyone get through life without being able to laugh? How very sad

Mrs. Chickenboy read up on some IMDB trivia about the movie that may be exculpatory to Ms. Wood.

The pie fight scene was shot over five days . That's a whole lot of pies. Ms. Wood took more than her fair share right in the face-sometimes two or three of them simultaneously. The director had to cut filming on several occasions as she was choking or had trouble clearing her nose and mouth of the offending instruments so as to breathe.

In the meantime, the fine and dapper Mr. Leslie (with the gleaming smile added in post production ) was hit by n=1 pie during the entirety of the fight. One. They had to break filming and change his wardrobe several times as pie spattering on his brilliant white tennis sweater and slacks occured. He was to be 'untouched' by the custard-based mayhem by design, until he got his obligatory single pie direct hit.

With the aforementioned context, I'm willing to overlook Ms. Wood's 'lack of humor' over this incident for the time being.

Here's the scene again for clarity. I like the on-screen commentary as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCneye8GuSo

Note Peter Falk's record-setting 8 simultaneous pie detonations at 2:00.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3484
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/29/2020 3:49:34 PM   
Chickenboy

While Blake Edwards may have elevated the pie fight in The Great Race, it is still a derivative of many previous excellent predecessors. Is there a greater one than Laurel and Hardy's The Fight of the Century?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHY5SM0YFv0

Slapstick humor at its finest!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3485
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2020 6:58:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Watching Berlin Babylon. I've watched the first two series and now on number 3.

Very watchable - at times wonderfully atmospheric too. There is something about Berlin, Germans and Germany. Set in the 1929 during the Weimar Republic, the show is a crime drama but with the added value of much that that period of time can being to a show - Communist agitation, The Reichswehr, Hindenburg......

Only minor gripe is that its at its most gripping as a political thriller - I hope season 3 remembers that.

warspite1

Just finished season 3.

It was good to see that this series continued the move toward the political situation becoming more of a factor. Babylon Berlin is a little 'weird' in places, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this and desperately hope for a fourth season.

If you love detective novels and also have an interest in the political developments of the inter-war years in Germany then you can't really go wrong with this. The fact its made in German just adds to the wonderful 'feel' of the whole production.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3486
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2020 2:51:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Very watchable - at times wonderfully atmospheric too. There is something about Berlin, Germans and Germany. Set in the 1929 during the Weimar Republic, the show is a crime drama but with the added value of much that that period of time can being to a show - Communist agitation, The Reichswehr, Hindenburg......

Only minor gripe is that its at its most gripping as a political thriller - I hope season 3 remembers that.

warspite1

Just finished season 3.

It was good to see that this series continued the move toward the political situation becoming more of a factor. Babylon Berlin is a little 'weird' in places, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this and desperately hope for a fourth season.

If you love detective novels and also have an interest in the political developments of the inter-war years in Germany then you can't really go wrong with this. The fact its made in German just adds to the wonderful 'feel' of the whole production.

English actors or German actors? English language or German language with subtitles?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3487
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2020 3:04:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just finished season 3.

English actors or German actors? English language or German language with subtitles?
warspite1

Apparently the most expensive foreign language series ever made. German actors, German dialogue (with English subtitles). Fantastic - sorry I mean Fantastisch

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/30/2020 3:07:04 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3488
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2020 5:20:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just finished season 3.

warspite1

Apparently the most expensive foreign language series ever made. German actors, German dialogue (with English subtitles). Fantastic - sorry I mean Fantastisch

Very cool. Glad to see Ze Germans pulling their weight in terms of international marketing of a domestic production.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3489
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2020 11:11:54 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just finished season 3.

warspite1

Very cool. Glad to see Ze Germans pulling their weight in terms of international marketing of a domestic production.

If it was filmed in Germany using the German language, then it is not a foreign language film. It was filmed in the native language which is not English - of whatever flavor.

Das Boote was filmed in the German language, then the actors dubbed their own lines in English which closely followed the German language for meaning, unlike a lot of the Chinese martial arts movies which were then dubbed with English.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3490
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2020 5:24:00 AM   
warspite1

Babylon Berlin is the most expensive non-English language screen production ever.

Better?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3491
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2020 12:09:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Babylon Berlin is the most expensive non-English language screen production ever.

Better?

Yes. Much better, thank you.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3492
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2020 10:09:34 PM   
loki100

Couple of days ago, starting to watch Normal People, truely first rate, if sometimes uncomfortable, drama. Superbly acted,

< Message edited by loki100 -- 5/2/2020 10:19:01 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3493
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/4/2020 10:54:11 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Couple of days ago, starting to watch Normal People, truely first rate, if sometimes uncomfortable, drama. Superbly acted,

That's next on my watch list after I have finished watching Devs.

Currently listening to Curious Under the Stars. A Radio 4 drama series set in the mysterious village of Glan Don on the Welsh coast. Myth, magic, and mayhem - all good stuff.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3494
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/5/2020 11:45:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

warspite1

Just finished watching Normal People. No spoilers so will keep comments brief. I felt it didn't quite live up to its potential that I assumed it would after watching the first two episodes. But it was still worth watching. The two lead characters were very watchable. Happy to expand on this once you two have finished watching.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/5/2020 11:51:08 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3495
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/5/2020 10:00:01 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just finished watching Normal People. No spoilers so will keep comments brief. I felt it didn't quite live up to its potential that I assumed it would after watching the first two episodes. But it was still worth watching. The two lead characters were very watchable. Happy to expand on this once you two have finished watching.

Sounds like a plan. Will begin watching it tomorrow.

Just finished watching Devs. Curiously, I think I enjoyed it although I am not sure why. I may have to let it sink in for a while before coming to any definite conclusion. May even watch it again in a week or two in order to unravel my thoughts.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3496
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/7/2020 8:41:37 PM   
shunwick

Well, I have watched the first two episodes. It is very slow. When do the aliens attack?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3497
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/7/2020 9:30:54 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

we've just seen episode #5 and I liked the tone change from school in Sligo to being at Trinity, some of it seemed a bit of a contrived set up for what (presumably) comes next but still very engaging stuff

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3498
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2020 4:58:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Well, I have watched the first two episodes. It is very slow. When do the aliens attack?

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you please remember to add spoiler alerts???? The alien attack has been pencilled in for season 4 episode 2, but not many people know about this yet....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3499
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2020 5:09:53 AM   
warspite1

I watched Der Pass. Apparently this was a shameless re-make of a Swedish production of The Bridge but as I've never seen the latter I didn't really care.

This German language production is set on the Austrian-German border where a murder is discovered. German police (Ellie Stocker) and her Austrian counterpart (Gedeon Winter) investigate. Both are very engaging characters (in a good cop/bad cop kind of way) for entirely different reasons - and the 'baddie' is pretty good too.

Verdict on Der Pass? Excellent value.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/8/2020 5:11:02 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3500
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2020 4:36:30 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you please remember to add spoiler alerts???? The alien attack has been pencilled in for season 4 episode 2, but not many people know about this yet....

Dear Lord! I thought it was slow but season 4? I am struggling to get through season 1 episode 3.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 5/8/2020 4:38:08 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3501
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2020 10:53:06 PM   
loki100

quote:

I watched Der Pass. Apparently this was a shameless re-make of a Swedish production of The Bridge but as I've never seen the latter I didn't really care.

This German language production is set on the Austrian-German border where a murder is discovered. German police (Ellie Stocker) and her Austrian counterpart (Gedeon Winter) investigate. Both are very engaging characters (in a good cop/bad cop kind of way) for entirely different reasons - and the 'baddie' is pretty good too.

Verdict on Der Pass? Excellent value.

may pick that uo, the Bridge is possibly the best of that trio of Danish series (incl the Killing and the excellent Borgen)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3502
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/10/2020 1:19:18 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well, just finished watching the series. My thought's on it are mixed. Will wait until loki100 has finished watching it before commenting further.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3503
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/11/2020 4:17:20 PM   
Orm

Continuing with re-watching stuff. Currently on season two of Deadwood.

Haven't seen the movie yet. Is it worthwhile to watch it?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3504
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/11/2020 9:48:06 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yes, but don't expect too much. It's more sentimental than the series, but ties up some threads sort of left hanging by the last season (which wasn't supposed to be the last, but HBO demanded that David Milch drop his commitment to Deadwood in favor of John from Cincinnati ...). A great series to rewatch is Mad Men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3505
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/12/2020 5:13:45 PM   
warspite1

Two excellent 3-part series about the Civil War

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

I definitely should read more about this fascinating subject.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/12/2020 5:17:02 PM >

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3506
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/12/2020 7:07:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yes, but don't expect too much. It's more sentimental than the series, but ties up some threads sort of left hanging by the last season (which wasn't supposed to be the last, but HBO demanded that David Milch drop his commitment to Deadwood in favor of John from Cincinnati ...). A great series to rewatch is Mad Men.

Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3507
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/12/2020 9:05:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

Is that the "parking lot King"?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3508
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 2:06:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

Is that the "parking lot King"?
warspite1

No, that is Richard III, the last English King to be killed in battle, ending his dynasty and thus setting the scene for his last resting place to be queried over. There is no doubt where Charles I was buried following his execution.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3509
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 2:08:06 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

I presume that is the English Civil War which set things up for the Pilgrims to settle New England.

And all because they could not decide on the color for the rose . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3510
Page:   <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI