Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 10/10/2019 1:00:02 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254
I have always been interested the Anzio battle. I think it is about the right number of units, and both side have a chance to be on the offensive. I also think it would be a good opportunity to put in some what if's. Like what if the Allies committed another division sooner than later? I always felt the allies did not give the landing enough troops, and if they did, the outcome might have been different.

On Anzio: "We thought we had hurled a wild cat ashore. All we got was a stranded whale".--Winston Churchill

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 61
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/24/2019 2:07:18 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames
I think the progression of the engine looks like this:

WEGO1: Desert War 1940-42

WEGO2: Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga. Introduces bridging and pontoons, ski troops, partisans, security units, supply depots, airfields, and air transport of supplies.

WEGO3: Monty's Front: 21st Army Group. Will introduce airborne and riverine operations.

WEGO4: Title TBD...introduces expanded naval rules (amphibious operations, naval interdiction, counter-naval operations, naval supplies, etc.) Best topics for exploring WEGO4 are Narvik, Seelowe, Sicily/Salerno/Anzio or Normandy/Avalanche.

WEGO5: Title TBD...World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. I think WEGO5 is the "Operational Art of War" version of the WEGO engine. It is an amalgamation of all the terrain types, unit types, and asset types found in our "previous games" plus those missing. It would add new nations/factional units and assets...AND provide a scenario editor that includes catalogs of units and assets of for all WWII Western Europe/Mediterranean Theaters from 1939-1945...from the Invasion of Poland to the Fall of Berlin. It would also include a list of new scenarios and campaigns that explore the various aspects of these theaters. Maybe a sandbox mod at this point. WEGO5 is a game and a robust toolkit for would-be scenario designers.

Bottomline: I think expanding the capabilities of the WEGO engine takes precedence over topic. The topic chosen best supports the next set of capabilities. In the end there is a well-stocked toolkit of art resources and editors so that fans can explore their interests on the Western Fronts and easily share their scenarios with others.

I have invested in research/resources to support this progression...but what do you say? What should WEGO4 and WEGO5 introduce to the system? What should the topic of each be about?

Sell it to our readers.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 62
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/30/2019 2:54:24 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

I think the progression of the engine looks like this:

WEGO1: Desert War 1940-42

WEGO2: Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga. Introduces bridging and pontoons, ski troops, partisans, security units, supply depots, airfields, and air transport of supplies.

WEGO3: Monty's Front: 21st Army Group. Will introduce airborne and riverine operations.

WEGO4: Title TBD...introduces expanded naval rules (amphibious operations, naval interdiction, counter-naval operations, naval supplies, etc.) Best topics for exploring WEGO4 are Narvik, Seelowe, Sicily/Salerno/Anzio or Normandy/Avalanche.

WEGO5: Title TBD...World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. I think WEGO5 is the "Operational Art of War" version of the WEGO engine. It is an amalgamation of all the terrain types, unit types, and asset types found in our "previous games" plus those missing. It would add new nations/factional units and assets...AND provide a scenario editor that includes catalogs of units and assets of for all WWII Western Europe/Mediterranean Theaters from 1939-1945...from the Invasion of Poland to the Fall of Berlin. It would also include a list of new scenarios and campaigns that explore the various aspects of these theaters. Maybe a sandbox mod at this point. WEGO5 is a game and a robust toolkit for would-be scenario designers.

Bottomline: I think expanding the capabilities of the WEGO engine takes precedence over topic. The topic chosen best supports the next set of capabilities. In the end there is a well-stocked toolkit of art resources and editors so that fans can explore their interests on the Western Fronts and easily share their scenarios with others.

I have invested in research/resources to support this progression...but what do you say? What should WEGO4 and WEGO5 introduce to the system? What should the topic of each be about?

Sell it to our readers.

I like the idea of a future game with airborne units.

Possibly Operation Anvil for WEGO4, with maybe some what ifs for Axis reinforcements, an extra panzer division. I think the Axis counter attacked with a panzer division, which could be tense. There seems to be more room to move in that region.

Anzio and Salerno are good one for naval operations. The allied forces almost lost both of those operations.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 63
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/30/2019 2:59:46 PM   
Okayrun3254

I think I may have brought this thought up in a previous post, but cant be sure. Has there been any thought of units being disrupted, or broken as a result of combat? It might be interesting to see a green unit disrupt or break, instead of being completely eliminated in combat. Knowing that your elite units have less chance of disruption is also something to consider when planning an attack.

Post #: 64
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/2/2019 11:13:26 AM   
Saint Ruth

What does "disrupted" actually mean? Lower quality units take more casualties and have slower recovery, so a disrupted unit is one that can't recieve orders? Or something else as well?

Post #: 65
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/2/2019 9:30:15 PM   
canuckgamer

That is an interesting list but what about something completely different, like a battle from the Pacific front? Generally the battles in the Pacific were smaller scale than in Europe. The WEGO system would be great for something like Guadalcanal where the dense jungle created a FOW so severe that you didn't know if the enemy was yards away. It would also be an opportunity to add amphibious operations.

It seems to me that there has always been less games on land battles in the Pacific vs. those in Europe. For example, how many times has the Battle of the Bulge been released as a boardgame and computer war game compared to say Guadalcanal?

Anyway just a thought.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 66
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/2/2019 10:27:51 PM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer
...say Guadalcanal?

Anyway just a thought.

Sounds like an interesting topic for a Desert War scenario. I have most of the assets to do it from a Desert War engine experiment I did several years ago:

Current focus is on Stalingrad but I hate getting stuck in a historical rut without relief. We'll see what happens.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 67
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/3/2019 4:21:18 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

What does "disrupted" actually mean? Lower quality units take more casualties and have slower recovery, so a disrupted unit is one that can't recieve orders? Or something else as well?

Here are some of my initial thoughts on the meaning. I am thinking a better description would be disorganized, and not disrupted. I have seen this mode used in board games. It seems safe to say there will be always be some level of disorganization to a unit as a result of combat. A unit that becomes disorganized is more of a chaotic level of disorganization after combat. This negative status for a unit could be a result of a retreat or heavy bombardment. I am thinking many factors would weigh in to determine if a unit becomes disorganized, such as experience level, fortifications, etc. The effects to the unit could be half movement, half fire power, etc. An example could be when the Russians attacked the Rumanians in Uranus, some units became disorganized, and follow up Russian tank units were able to overrun the retreating Rumanians.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 68
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/4/2019 1:33:15 AM   
bcgames

I think we have this already...but by a combination of different names--Readiness and Command Control. The lower the readiness level of a unit, the less command control the player has over the unit.

Post #: 69
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/4/2019 3:11:20 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

I think we have this already...but by a combination of different names--Readiness and Command Control. The lower the readiness level of a unit, the less command control the player has over the unit.

Okay, that makes sense. Sometimes when playing the game I forget about the effect of Readiness on the units being attacked. I would assume a unit with low Readiness would be more prone to being overrun.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 70
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/5/2019 12:35:48 AM   
bcgames

quote:

...I would assume a unit with low Readiness would be more prone to being overrun.

I think so...but St. Ruth can give the definitive answer.

Post #: 71
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/5/2019 10:30:48 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Okay, that makes sense. Sometimes when playing the game I forget about the effect of Readiness on the units being attacked. I would assume a unit with low Readiness would be more prone to being overrun.

Readiness reduces your effective defense, and Overruns occur if attacker odds > 10:1 so yes, indirectly, they are more prone to being overrun.

Post #: 72
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 4/28/2020 4:01:54 AM   
bcgames

Covid-19? Returning to work on Stalingrad. Doing parallel research on Monty's Front. Good times.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 73
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 4/29/2020 3:05:47 AM   
bcgames

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer
...say Guadalcanal?

Anyway just a thought.

Sounds like an interesting topic for a Desert War scenario. I have most of the assets to do it from a Desert War engine experiment I did several years ago:

Current focus is on Stalingrad but I hate getting stuck in a historical rut without relief. We'll see what happens.

All Stalingrad--All the time. Got to pay the bills.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 74
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 5/15/2020 3:02:58 PM   
superhans

I would like to see a logical progression from N.Africa so Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, Normandy, Bulge for the Western Front.
Poland, Moscow, Stalingrad (Siege of Leningrad might not be so interesting), Kharkov, Kuban, Bagration, Kalingrad, and finally Berlin for Easter Front. Keep them in series so gaps can be fileld (and there are many smaller interesting conflicts like Mansteins Crimea campaign) So yeah...not much work

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 75
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 5/16/2020 1:11:48 AM   
bcgames

So after Monty's Front you want to see Tunisia?

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 76
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 5/16/2020 3:14:03 PM   
superhans

Tunisia 43 yes. It would be a nice book end to Desert war 40-42. And that sidi bou zid map is a thing of beauty in itself..as is the Salerno map. Tunisia introduces all the western allies that learn their chops and go onto fight in the Western front so would be a fitting title. Plus...equipment wise it was a milestone. Tiger VI, 17 pounder, bazooka AT, Me410 etc.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 77
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 5/17/2020 5:38:31 AM   
bcgames

I'm game.

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 78
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/22/2020 4:51:00 AM   
planetbrain

Would LOVE to see Guadalcanal tackled!

'Mostly harmless'

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 79
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/24/2020 3:24:07 AM   
bcgames

Guadalcanal. A personal favorite. I have a lot of data on this campaign. A great to-and-fro situation.

(in reply to planetbrain)
Post #: 80
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/30/2020 4:15:51 AM   
bcgames

Western Front:

Second Front: Normandy to Paris
Monty's Front: 21st Army Group
Bradley's Front: 12th Army Group

Eastern Front:

Barbarossa: Army Group North
Barbarossa: Army Group Center
Barbarossa: Army Group South
Operation Blue Phase I: Voronezh
Battles for Kharkov 1941-43
Battle for Kursk
Operation Bagration
Battle of the Courland Pocket

Mediterranean Front:

Tough Old Gut: Sicily/Italy
Desert War II: 2.5K per hex plus engine upgrades

The Pacific:

Shoestring: The Battle for the Solomon Islands
The Old Breed: Island Hop

discuss.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 81
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 10/9/2020 6:55:30 AM   
bcgames

I'm not long for this world so after Monty's Front I'm going to do Second Front: Normandy to Paris,
Bradley's Front: 12th Army Group, and Barbarossa: Army Group Center. I think this path is the best to bring the game engine to maturity. We'll see what happens after that.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 82
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/26/2020 5:45:43 PM   
ivanov

Since I like maneuver campaigns my choice would be:

-Post Stalingrad Operation Star

-Third Battle for Kharkov

-Post Kursk Ukraine 43

-Ukraine 44

-Tunisia

-Patton in Loraine

-WW1 Eastern Front, mostly 1914, not only Tannenberg but also Galicia and Lodz. This is phenomenally interesting subject but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

-Arab Israeli Wars of 1956, 1967 and 1973.

Lest we forget.
Post #: 83
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/28/2020 5:11:43 AM   
bcgames

Patton in Loraine is a bullet in the magazine.

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 84
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/28/2020 9:20:55 AM   
Zovs

Bulge might be good. Still looking forward to all the Italian scenarios and of course Stalingrad. Tunisia and some of the East Front 41 battles or the summer battles in 42 in the East.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 85
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 11/29/2020 4:14:00 AM   
bcgames

Bulge is a given in Bradley's Front. Tunisia/Sicily/Italy is a combo I definitely want to do. Maybe roll it all together to include a re-do of North Africa...Campaign for the Mediterranean. The new capabilities introduced in Stalingrad (especially barrage and replacements) are alot of fun and will provide a nice framework for future games.

Post #: 86
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/13/2020 2:17:57 PM   
jmlima

quote:

... The Campaign for Dien Bien Phu and Tet Thua Thien (I Corps circa 1968) are game topics I have studied for years and would love to game (got all the books to get the jobs done).

Also, the 1950 battles for RC4 and the Hoa Binh battles. (from the list, as you can guess by now, this would be the topic that would interest me)

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 87
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 12/13/2020 10:26:57 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

I'm not long for this world so after Monty's Front I'm going to do Second Front: Normandy to Paris,
Bradley's Front: 12th Army Group, and Barbarossa: Army Group Center. I think this path is the best to bring the game engine to maturity. We'll see what happens after that.

This sounds like a great list of games. I like it because its new terrain, and Units with new types of tanks, air planes, etc.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 88
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI