Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/10/2021 8:21:24 PM   
RhinoDad

Looking forward to seeing the results of the query. Do not know how to see results without completing query.

Have recently returned to the game after just under a decade of not playing. Before AE played Witp for a number of years. Would imagine that with a game that is something of a lifestyle and long term commitment, because of length and depth of game, that far too many end in one player walking away.

Have never played another player. Thinking that once you got a good grasp of the game mechanics that a multiplayer game would be just about as good as computer game gets. It would be hard to give so much to a game then have it ended before one can see the results, as it takes so much time for results from planning unfold.

Does Japan win many without serious errors by allies, or does game scoring balance that out?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 31
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 2:24:53 AM   
1275psi

Deep into 45 mutual draw playing as japan
2 allied players quit in 42
I quit in 42 after being insulted on the forum
Lost in 43 as allies
Had a jap player quit in 42 when the fun finished
Deep into 44 now as allies and going 5o lose but going to the finish

big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 32
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 3:50:18 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Deep into 45 mutual draw playing as japan
2 allied players quit in 42
I quit in 42 after being insulted on the forum
Lost in 43 as allies
Had a jap player quit in 42 when the fun finished
Deep into 44 now as allies and going 5o lose but going to the finish

Herb, looking for your next AAR .... please!

Pax

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 33
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 3:52:59 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I listed two reasons:

1x Autovictory 1943

3x Opponent dropped the game (specifically, opponent died)

Yeah, well, I think he knew the odds of finishing the game when he started ...

RIP Sqz

Attachment (1)

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 3:54:30 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

The list of possible ending should include quit for personal reasons. GreyJoy and I had a game in 43, going well, and he had to discontinue. It had nothing to do with the game or anything happening within it. I bet it's one of the most common categories for games ending, as evidenced by some of the posts above.

Yeah, I would agree. RL happens.

Speaking of GJ, have you heard from him?

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 35
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 3:59:29 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

The list of possible ending should include quit for personal reasons.

Or at least, reasons not directly connected to the game. My one and only PBEM experience was a newbie vs. newbie game against Malagant, he as Japan and I as Allies. The game got only about 5 months in, to mid-May of 1942, when he vanished from communication. But the Japanese were dominating my forces easily pretty much everywhere, and as far as I could tell they were in a very good position. I could only guess that he had some sort of personal circumstances that came up; perhaps even a tragedy, but I never knew. In any case it would be grossly dishonest for me to count this as a victory even though my opponent did quit.

I respectfully disagree. An opponent that drops a game without communicating the reasons why or offering an 'out' for another player to step into his stead is breaking the pact. Quitting like that is tantamount to admitting defeat. It's certainly understandable if they have a terminal health problem, but-in your case-it's far more likely that the person just became bored with the game and 'ghosted' you. I consider that sort of action to be extremely disrespectful and it's worthy of putting them in the box of 'losers'.

How hard would it have been for your opponent to send you an email to clarify this? After you spent hundreds of hours on the game, he just disappears? Seriously, how long does it take to send an email saying, "I'm not having fun with this game. I'm sorry, but I can't do this for another 4 years. I resign. You win. Thanks for the game." Again, if he's sick and / or dead, I get it. But the vast majority of games ending aren't because someone dies. Unless that happens (it's happened three times to me), they have no right to say anything other than 'they lost'.

I would hazard a bet that if someone drops a game AND drops off the forums entirely, a catastrophic life event has happened. As you say, pretty easy to send a note. But how many spouses would know to send it. How many have written instructions to do so in the event it would be needed?

Now, if you see activity on the account, that's another thing. But an account going completely inactive, that's not just a game drop. Just my opinion ...

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 5:47:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

The list of possible ending should include quit for personal reasons. GreyJoy and I had a game in 43, going well, and he had to discontinue. It had nothing to do with the game or anything happening within it. I bet it's one of the most common categories for games ending, as evidenced by some of the posts above.

Yeah, I would agree. RL happens.

Speaking of GJ, have you heard from him?

Greyjoy's father passed when he quit the game he had going where he had just invaded Japan. GJ took it very hard, and I think he might have been having girlfriend problems too because he had been seeing several and seemed to be getting closer to one. And he had very busy work at the time (he is a lawyer).

But during the thread on Coronavirus I thought someone ID'd the Italian gent from the Milan area (Falco?) as GJ. It was more of a hint than a confirmation IIRC. And about a year ago GJ did drop in for a couple of posts before disappearing again. My bet is that he is a young man whose real life marriage?/career/extended family/financial issues just ate up all the time he previously had to play. I know I could not have played this game until my kids grew up and moved out.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 37
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 5:55:46 AM   
RangerJoe

Falco has posted that he has two daughters, one of whom is going to college in Milan while the other is in London, England. He also posted about his restaurant being closed, which is located in the "toe" of Italy.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 7:51:14 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Something is wrong with the poll. When I checked yesterday before bumping the thread, I have seen 31 votes for Japanese wins and 39 votes for Allied wins. Checking today, I see but 18 resp 12 votes. WTF? Looks like adding new votes after the poll lay dormant for more than a year has broken it. So unfortunately it is pointless to continue this exercise

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 39
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 1:59:32 PM   
PaxMondo

rats!

Pax

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 40
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 1/11/2021 3:28:04 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Something is wrong with the poll. When I checked yesterday before bumping the thread, I have seen 31 votes for Japanese wins and 39 votes for Allied wins. Checking today, I see but 18 resp 12 votes. WTF? Looks like adding new votes after the poll lay dormant for more than a year has broken it. So unfortunately it is pointless to continue this exercise

The best exercise is !

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 41
RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings - 2/9/2021 7:00:29 PM   
ITAKLinus

Voted!

Francesco

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Statistical musings - PBEM endings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI