Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/29/2021 11:12:21 PM   
sinbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sinbuster
I noticed in galaxy creation that there was no option to choose your own research speed as in DW1. Will this be an option at release? (I like playing at the slowest tech speed possible).

Yes, actually it's already in the game. If you take another look you should see the research speed settings in that video. I should also note that the goal is for the "normal" speed to be slower than in DW1, especially at higher tech levels.

I think I wasn't clear in my question. I noticed the five settings for Research speed in the galaxy creation portion of the gameplay reveal (starting at 0:57 in the Galaxy Setup video). DW:U allowed the player to type in a specific number in addition to the five options. I would usually use the maximum allowed, 960k, which is twice the cost of very expensive.

Apologies if I overlooked this in another part of the reveal.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 61
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 2:51:28 AM   
Whiskiz

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Can you fully control a civilian ship, if you reeeaaally want this load of nekros stone to be delivered NOW with the utmost urgency? i.e. can you order a civilian ship to load a certain cargo then deliver it presto to another planet?

I seriously doubt it. I think the Bacon Mod has spoiled you. :)

That Bacon Mod was pretty cool, if you ever see the guy that did it tell him he did a good job

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 62
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 4:33:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I think I wasn't clear in my question. I noticed the five settings for Research speed in the galaxy creation portion of the gameplay reveal (starting at 0:57 in the Galaxy Setup video). DW:U allowed the player to type in a specific number in addition to the five options. I would usually use the maximum allowed, 960k, which is twice the cost of very expensive.

Ah, roger, yes that's not in there but if with the overall somewhat slower research we have requests to put it back in, I'm sure that's not a big deal to do.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 63
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 5:02:01 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

quote:

Ah, roger, yes that's not in there but if with the overall somewhat slower research we have requests to put it back in, I'm sure that's not a big deal to do.

Regards,

- Erik

As long as this can be modded probably not a huge issue since if someone wants longer research times they can make a small stand alone mod for it.

Post #: 64
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 1:48:38 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

I haven't seen the design, obviously, but I would hope all purely numeric values like that would be in xml files and a new entry could be added simply by moddign the xml file. So you might have

<Research Speed>
<entry 1> 200 >/Entry1>
<entry 2> 100 >/Entry1>
<entry 3> 50 >/Entry1>
</Research Speed>

Then you could add your own anywhere you wanted and it would show up nicely in the UI as another button to select.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

Post #: 65
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 1:59:13 PM   
Acidpunk

Not sure if it's been asked already, but are there any plans to have gravity wells impact FTL travel?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 66
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 4:15:12 PM   
Cataflam23

Hey Erik!

Thanks for the answer!
But whats up with my second question?

"This game has something similar like in Stellaris the Fallen Empires or Endgame crisis etc?
Or there is any plan for this?"

Thanks again!

(in reply to Acidpunk)
Post #: 67
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 9:35:00 PM   
Sild

It's already answered in the OP (kinda) :

"I'm wondering who the new threat to the galaxy will be or are you going to rehash the shaktari? Or is all that for a later expansion ala the way you developed the first game?
--> That is definitely a question I will not be answering for a long time."

(in reply to Cataflam23)
Post #: 68
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2021 11:31:39 PM   
sinbuster

quote:

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Good to know. It's probably not a big deal with mods as SirHoraceHarkness mentioned. I just love extremely slow research in 4x games. It creates these mini-epochs where certain techs can shine.

I appreciate all the interaction by the way; a whole year without a drop and now the deluge!

Post #: 69
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2021 12:26:39 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acidpunk
Not sure if it's been asked already, but are there any plans to have gravity wells impact FTL travel?

There is that capability in the game. As far as what we end up doing in the final release, that will depend on the iterative testing and balancing during the beta and what ends up being the most fun, interesting and playable.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Acidpunk)
Post #: 70
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2021 2:47:15 AM   
Pocus

I'm curious about 'Terrains' and your mention it is not the fastest way to go deep space in opposition to jump from planets to planets. Does it mean deep space is a terrain with a penalty to FTL speed?

AGEOD Team

Post #: 71
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2021 11:02:47 AM   
Sild

Will the game be available for pre ordering? If yes will there be goodies for pre ordering?

(Inb4 people express their views on pre orders, I'm not saying they should neither am I saying they shouldn't, I'm just asking).

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 72
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2021 2:10:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus
I'm curious about 'Terrains' and your mention it is not the fastest way to go deep space in opposition to jump from planets to planets. Does it mean deep space is a terrain with a penalty to FTL speed?

No, space in and of itself does not have any penalties, but the original question had to do with systems near a choke point created by nebulas. I pointed out that perhaps the most direct route is to hop through the systems, but you could go around, even through the nebulas if you wish, but there would be a cost in additional travel time and potentially even damage to your ships in some nebulas.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 73
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2021 3:12:18 PM   
BTAxis

In the demo clip I noticed that ships with fighter bays have an even split between fighters and bombers, just like in DW1. Is it possible, either through the game UI or through modding, to create a ship that carries a different ratio (such as all-fighters or all-bombers)? If the answer is no, please consider adding that in at some point!

quote:

I remember in DWU someone modded a gravity well so that you needed to reach the edge of the star system to initiate hyperjump. Can this still be possible?
--> There is still a gravity well facility in the game. The ability to influence hyperjumps comes down to two factors, HyperDeny and HyperStop. HyperDeny prevents jumping out within its range. HyperStop prevents jumping in or out. Each has a definable strength and range. Hyperdrives in DW2 now also have a certain level of HyperDeny "Insulation" so that sufficiently higher tech hyperdrives can overcome some lower tech level of HyperDeny.

This question wasn't actually answered, and I'm quite interested in this also. Could a star technically be modded to have some form of HyperStop? I don't think it should be a part of the standard DW2 experience, but I personally love the idea as it makes sublight speed and weapon range much more important. So again, if no... maybe consider it?

Post #: 74
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:12:44 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

In the demo clip I noticed that ships with fighter bays have an even split between fighters and bombers, just like in DW1. Is it possible, either through the game UI or through modding, to create a ship that carries a different ratio (such as all-fighters or all-bombers)? If the answer is no, please consider adding that in at some point!

quote:

I remember in DWU someone modded a gravity well so that you needed to reach the edge of the star system to initiate hyperjump. Can this still be possible?
--> There is still a gravity well facility in the game. The ability to influence hyperjumps comes down to two factors, HyperDeny and HyperStop. HyperDeny prevents jumping out within its range. HyperStop prevents jumping in or out. Each has a definable strength and range. Hyperdrives in DW2 now also have a certain level of HyperDeny "Insulation" so that sufficiently higher tech hyperdrives can overcome some lower tech level of HyperDeny.

This question wasn't actually answered, and I'm quite interested in this also. Could a star technically be modded to have some form of HyperStop? I don't think it should be a part of the standard DW2 experience, but I personally love the idea as it makes sublight speed and weapon range much more important. So again, if no... maybe consider it?

When I made teh whole gravity well system in the Bacon Mod it was to make combat more interesting. One unexpected side effect was that it gave a reason to have ships smaller than max allowed size, since they were less affected by the gravity wells. One problem nearly all 4x games have is that larger is always better. Once I made gravity wells I tried to keep my ships as small as possible while still big enough to do their job.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 75
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:24:33 PM   
LordMM

I was wondering.

Could we have a feature where Ambassadors can be sent on a mission towards neutral Independent planets to convince them to join us? The success should be based on
- Ambassador skill
- Distance from the Capital
- enemy Pirates present in the system/planet

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 76
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:28:05 PM   
Whiskiz

quote:

quote:

quote:

When I made teh whole gravity well system in the Bacon Mod it was to make combat more interesting. One unexpected side effect was that it gave a reason to have ships smaller than max allowed size, since they were less affected by the gravity wells. One problem nearly all 4x games have is that larger is always better. Once I made gravity wells I tried to keep my ships as small as possible while still big enough to do their job.

I saw Eric say somewhere that apparently speed affects accuracy of incoming fire - i left a response saying i hope it makes a noticeable difference (for more than just bombers/fighters) so smaller ships still have a place even in close - mid range and up against bigger ships/in bigger battles.

Then i went on a tangent about how in Eve Online that speed tanking is a thing and players can even be in some of the smallest ships in the game and orbit around massive Capital ships so close and so fast that they can't be hit, unless the Cap ship has small, fast-moving and accurate weapons specifically setup for them which they mostly don't.

I even went on to mention how in Eve it's a whole playstyle - 1 Cap ship vs 100s of small ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1ZFixFJbA&t=319s (Skip 5min or so if timestamp borked)

The balance is it takes 100s of small ships to even wear a Cap ships shields down let alone anything else, but they can also inhibit Cap ships ability to escape and provide other buffs and debuffs, so either all need to be killed or scared off.

I'd have just linked to that post but i can't remember where i made it lol.

As well as the fact that i guess now smaller ships can look for bigger ships firing arc blind spots, though most sensibly one ships firing arcs at a time so not the most effective in fleet combat. Maybe try to find strays with them on the outskirts of battle if not.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 2/1/2021 1:32:37 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 77
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:30:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

By default, they get an even split. The UI allows you to upgrade, launch and retrieve your fighters and bombers, but not change the distribution. You can certainly mod in unique fighter-only or bomber-only bays and if beta feedback suggests that this is desirable, we may add them in as well or perhaps add a policy option to adjust the ratio.

quote:

To add that to a star would require a code change. By default, I don't think we'd want the entire system to be a gravity well for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure some folks would enjoy that gameplay. If there's a desire for that we can look at adding it in as a game option.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 78
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:32:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM
I was wondering.

Could we have a feature where Ambassadors can be sent on a mission towards neutral Independent planets to convince them to join us? The success should be based on
- Ambassador skill

Ambassadors in DW2 can help with Empires, Independents and Pirate Factions. In fact, _not_ having an ambassador assigned to a faction can also cause possible diplomatic penalties.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 79
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 1:46:21 PM   
LordMM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM
I was wondering.

- Ambassador skill

Ambassadors in DW2 can help with Empires, Independents and Pirate Factions. In fact, _not_ having an ambassador assigned to a faction can also cause possible diplomatic penalties.

Regards,

- Erik

OK, this is awesome...

Post #: 80
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 3:04:18 PM   
BTAxis

quote:

You can certainly mod in unique fighter-only or bomber-only bays and if beta feedback suggests that this is desirable, we may add them in as well or perhaps add a policy option to adjust the ratio.

The former sounds like what I'll be going with, then. A policy option doesn't really make much sense to me, because I seek to tune the fighter/bomber ratio per design. The lighter support ships would get the fighters, while the carriers hanging back get all bombers.

Thanks for answering!

Post #: 81
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 7:13:52 PM   
Miletkir

[deleted]

< Message edited by Miletkir -- 2/1/2021 7:14:14 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 82
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 8:20:42 PM   
Perry_Rhodan

Is the game more about colonizing asap, as much as possible, in a kind of land-grab or are some disincentives present to not occupy as fast as possible planets around you? I'm thinking of a significant monetary cost for a new colony for example?

I don't like a lot game where you rush in all directions, like Gal Civ, because otherwise the AI will be there before you, to be honest. Also, from a realism standpoint, a new colony does not make profit, it costs to the mother nation.

Related to all this, perhaps you know of the concept of "Infinite City Sprawl" from Civilization... It was bad for the game and that's why Civilization is less about placing as many as possible and more about placing them at the right spot. Hopefully DW2 will also favors that?

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 83
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 8:29:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

DW2 is much less about rushing colonization than in DW1 and choosing better worlds definitely helps. Colonization techs are more expensive, Colonization components for Colony ships are much larger and more expensive and new colonies require significant resource and credits in order to develop and grow, which must be provided from an existing economic base until they can sustain themselves. You can still "rush", but you'll soon reach a point where you can't sustain more colonies until some of them grow to be larger and able to provide for themselves. More colonies may also strain what your private sector can provide in terms of passenger ships for migration, whereas fewer higher quality colonies will get focused migration. As a result, going for only the best most strategic worlds can be an equally good strategy as claiming all the habitable worlds you can find, within what your economy can sustain.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Perry_Rhodan)
Post #: 84
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 9:08:13 PM   
RogerBacon

Even though the game is 3d, does the action still all take place in a plane, more or less? I'm assuming and hoping so since I don't feel plotting and moving in full 3d really adds anything except complexity.

Post #: 85
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 9:24:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Even though the game is 3d, does the action still all take place in a plane, more or less? I'm assuming and hoping so since I don't feel plotting and moving in full 3d really adds anything except complexity.

Yes, the Z axis is really used mainly just to help with temporary collision avoidance as well as adding a better sense of depth and scale and of course much better graphics. The ships and stations themselves are effectively on a plane in that 3D space.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 86
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2021 11:21:14 PM   
sinbuster

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

I sure hope we see more ambassadors then, or an option to promote them. In DW:U it was hard to find enough characters to fill the ranks much of the time. This was also true for other character types as well.

Post #: 87
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 12:54:06 AM   
zgrssd

Will we be able to mod in additional filters/Map overlays like the resource ones?
Playing DW1 for about 10 hours, I could spot a bunch of minor upgrades to the UI that would have massively improved playability for me:
- showing colonies possible with technology
- marking systems with a (serious) enemy presence
- a prediction where a enemy fleet that just left my sensor range might be going to - basic vector tracking
- a display who actually owns a system, even if it is nominally within my territory
- clear positions of spaceports & refuel stations

While the big ones seem to be solved or might be made unessesary with a base rule change, I will definitely find more things that would be worth adding to the UI.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 88
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 1:04:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

The map overlays are a bit underdeveloped right now, that's actually one of the main areas I expect we'll expand during beta based on player feedback. Modding them in does not seem likely, but we'll try to make sure we have the bases covered before release, so to speak.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 89
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 1:23:01 AM   
Miskatonic81

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it on the main post. With tech being condensed into one tech tree, does this mean we will only research one tech at a time instead of three at a time like in DW1, and research is essentially 66% slower as a result? Also does this mean that the research lab component from DW1 is no longer split into military research lab, economic, etc?

I absolutely cannot wait for DW2 it looks amazing, I'm still partially in disbelief that it's actually coming out. :D

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI