Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Join the first official tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Join the first official tournament Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/28/2021 2:35:26 PM   
MrTomnus

Unfortunately i have the same issue. I have contacted them via PM and they have not been active on the forum for some time...

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 31
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/28/2021 5:07:20 PM   
Fafnir

No turn from my opponent yet too. His user is not in the forum so no chance to contact him.
Maybe the players which do not do a turn within the first 5 days should be replaced by someone on a waiting list or another player with the same issue.

(in reply to MrTomnus)
Post #: 32
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/28/2021 7:13:58 PM   
Hubert Cater

Sorry to hear about that gentlemen, I've asked Matrix what the protocol on this is as from what I understand I don't think players can be replaced. However if they are indeed a no show, I can say that you will get the BYE points of 75 for that game.

(in reply to Fafnir)
Post #: 33
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/28/2021 7:15:51 PM   
Hubert Cater

As promised, I wanted to mention the scoring system:

DECISIVE VICTORY = 100 points
MAJOR VICTORY = 80 points
MINOR VICTORY = 70 points
TACTICAL VICTORY = 60 points
STALEMATE = 50 points

Each victory is based on the associated victory conditions, as can be reviewed by the in game victory conditions page, and using a mirrored game system helps, where if you win one game and lose in another game, how you win and how you lose will affect your final points for the round, e.g. win better in one game lose better in the other game than your opponent did in the game he lost and your combined points will be better than your opponent for the round and so on.

For games that don't completely finish, the victory condition scoring system is assessing each turn looking to see what the current position each side is in, e.g. are they in a Major Victory position, or perhaps a Minor Victory position. If you are losing, holding your opponent to one of the lowest victory positions is ideal to minimize your point losses for the round.

However the victory condition scoring system doesn't kick in right away, it needs to reach a particular time threshold in game before it does. Until this threshold is reached we take this into account by scoring the game in a way that rewards the player that has returned the most turns. They could be losing, but if they are the most active they will receive the most points for the game, the bye value of 75 points. Not knowing when the victory condition scoring system kicks is purposeful, as it should prevent exploits as well as prevent players from just sitting on their position because they are winning.

But if you think you've played far enough and you suspect the victory condition scoring system has kicked in, and decide to sit on your winning position at that point, the server will penalize you for not returning your turns and lower your final score as well. So in this case sitting on a winning position is potentially penalized as well, and this gives your opponent the chance to counter that position until the game is over or the round ends.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 1/28/2021 7:16:11 PM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 34
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/29/2021 12:40:00 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Sorry to hear about that gentlemen, I've asked Matrix what the protocol on this is as from what I understand I don't think players can be replaced. However if they are indeed a no show, I can say that you will get the BYE points of 75 for that game.

Just a follow up, from my understanding with how past tournaments have been run, this can happen, players not playing their turns, and this is one of the reasons players are kicked and why we then have a bye setting if we end up with odd numbers and a player doesn't have an opponent for the next round.

Add players to the tournament is not an option, I imagine it is difficult to know exactly when a player will start playing their turns, and just how committed they are, and this is why players are only potentially kicked at the end of the round.

I can appreciate the frustration for sure, and I just wanted to follow up with you guys on this.

Post #: 35
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/29/2021 9:20:40 PM   
taffjones

Hi Hubert/Bill
I was playing my turn when 1/2 way through the screen went white and the game crashed.

I reloaded the turn and everything was ok.

But I don't want anyone to thing it was a cheat reload the challenge ID is 18005

My opponent is Stormcrow I have told him what happened.

(in reply to MrTomnus)
Post #: 36
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/29/2021 10:20:48 PM   
ThunderLizard11

When's the net round start? Too late for this one.

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 37
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/30/2021 6:05:25 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks taffjones,

Server analysis looks like everything is ok with your game, hope you are enjoying the tournament round so far?

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 38
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/30/2021 8:29:58 PM   
taffjones

Hi Hubert

Thanks for letting me know the game is Ok.

Yes my opponent had some issues loading the game, but since then it's been a interesting game

Post #: 39
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/31/2021 3:57:23 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

Hi Hubert

Thanks for letting me know the game is Ok.

Yes my opponent had some issues loading the game, but since then it's been a interesting game

Great to hear

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 40
RE: Join the first official tournament - 1/31/2021 3:58:06 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2
When's the net round start? Too late for this one.

Unfortunately not for a while, this is a 3 round 6 weeks per round tournament, which of course just started.

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 41
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/1/2021 8:42:54 AM   
BaggieMania

My game just finished with Raxulus2, we managed to keep up a crazy speed of play. Raxulus2 is new to the multiplayer part of the game so not surprisingly there was some eye opening moments for him, I do hope I have not discouraged him from future Mp games. He seems like a very nice guy and we had some good chats ingame where I also tried to give him some advice on a few things for his next games, so I hope that it was well recieved by him and he did say so. It can come over as abit arrogant to "help" your opponent while you are still playing so I was aware of that.

Post #: 42
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/1/2021 11:33:51 AM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks BaggieMania, and that is impressive that you were both able to finish the round as quickly as you did

Raxulus2, hope you enjoyed it as well even if you faced an experienced opponent first time out.

(in reply to BaggieMania)
Post #: 43
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/2/2021 10:17:19 AM   
Azhraden

Hi,

Same for me too.
My opponent hasn't played any turns until this day.

Azh

Post #: 44
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/4/2021 7:07:17 PM   
clausewitzclausewitz

This question may have been asked before. What can one do if their opponent started out playing frequently but after a few losses has gone silent? The player name is not in player list so I cannot attempt to contact.

(in reply to Azhraden)
Post #: 45
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/5/2021 3:23:48 PM   
Hubert Cater

Unfortunately there is not much we can really do about this, from what I understand this happens in every tournament, e.g. we can't force players to play, and in the end if they become inactive they are simply kicked for when the next round starts.

(in reply to clausewitzclausewitz)
Post #: 46
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/5/2021 7:29:54 PM   
Bubblebox

A possible work around for non-starters in a long-term tourny like this could be to design it so that the first round is a shorter scenario lasting maybe just a week or so to weedle out the no-shows with the victory points being biased so that the first round means something but the second and third rounds are worth the most victory points. Just a thought for future tournys. I just hope I don't get this Fafnir guy in the second round after my no-show in the first :)

Post #: 47
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/6/2021 3:04:50 AM   
taffjones

+ 1 to Bubblebox about drawing Fafnir in any of the rounds

I know at the moment with C19 some players may have come down with it and haven't been able to play their turns (hopefully not the case and if it is wishing them a speedy and full recovery).

But in the future is there a way that players who haven't played their turns be blocked from joining the tournament or places being allocated on a players activity on the forums or games played on PBEM?

As the PBEM system must be able to track the most active players.

(in reply to Bubblebox)
Post #: 48
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/6/2021 2:59:49 PM   
calcwerc

I think the way to go for a) avoiding ghosting /quitting and b) let people be matched with players on their own skill level is a ranking system, but perhaps it can not be implemented. Tournament is something quite different in my opinion, a special event.

I wish people could decide to host a) unranked and b) ranked games. The latter would give you a ranking, and you would allow people to match with players at their own skill level and still climb the ranks, as the ranking would be public in some form.
To avoid ghosting /quitting players would in the beginning of a ranked game agree upon how long you get for a turn. I think three options would suffice: for instance 1 day, 3 days or a week. Thus different players could not only agree upon matching skill level, but also their rhytm of play. If you fail to return within that limit, you automatically loose.

Something like that?

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 49
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/6/2021 7:43:43 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks everyone, these are all great ideas and as I don't control the tournament system, I'm not sure what will or not be possible going forward. But I know they review these threads so please do continue to offer suggestions.

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 50
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/8/2021 9:00:15 PM   
taffjones

Hi Hubert/Bill

Could you please clarify the Victory conditions for the "Race for Victory" games.

In the strategy guides it gives an end date of Aug 47, but these games end in Aug 45.

So I was wondering if the stated victory conditions in the guide's are the same as for the standard game that starts in 39, as that what is stated in the guides.

Clicking on the "Victory Condition's" Icon just gives the Decisive victory conditions.

Post #: 51
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/9/2021 1:06:07 AM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Taffjones,

Race to Victory campaigns all end in 1945, and in game, e.g. if you are playing the 1939-45 Race to Victory campaign, you should be able to open up the Strategy Guide that is specific to the 1939-45 Race to Victory campaign. It is the little icon directly above the Victory Conditions icon.

This would be the only strategy guide that applies to that campaign, and each campaign should have its own strategy guide.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 52
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/9/2021 1:08:45 AM   
Hubert Cater

Just to quickly add to this, wanted to double check as well, the full victory conditions are explained on the last page of the Strategy guide for the 1939-45 Race to Victory campaign.

Post #: 53
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/9/2021 6:19:38 PM   
taffjones

Thanks Hubert

I had been viewing them from the main menu, and had clicked on the wrong one

Post #: 54
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/10/2021 6:58:15 PM   
Hubert Cater

No worries at all

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 55
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/12/2021 2:57:30 PM   
taffjones

I would like to thank StormCrow for 2 great games in the 1st round. Good Luck in the rest of the tournament.

I think we were evenly matched in skill level, which made for a really great set of games.

Also having never played the games that start later than 39.

A big shout out to Hubert and Bill for the games that start in 42 and 43

The 43 Race to Victory is an amazing game, and starting in 43 with Tech's, Research and units that you haven't Decided on and built yourself was a breath of fresh air.

It goes to show how good a game you have developed here where in fact you are getting 6 games in 1. The 3 standard and the 3 "Race to Victory".

Post #: 56
RE: Join the first official tournament - 2/14/2021 9:07:26 PM   
BillRunacre

Thanks taffjones!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 57
RE: Join the first official tournament - 3/8/2021 7:33:56 PM   
clausewitzclausewitz

I am curious although it is not an issue for me. As indicated in a prior post my opponent stopped playing after some early losses. This deprived me of the ability to score victories yet I noted that he still was awarded points?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 58
RE: Join the first official tournament - 3/8/2021 8:33:19 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Clausewitz,

Yes your opponent will receive some points for at least playing a portion of the game but much less than what you would receive from playing out the most turns between the two of you. Typically though, it is not really enough for them to achieve any real placing in the tournament.

As an aside, I see your matches with him are for just the one game, e.g. the mirrored game was not started?

Hubert

(in reply to clausewitzclausewitz)
Post #: 59
RE: Join the first official tournament - 3/8/2021 8:44:19 PM   
clausewitzclausewitz

Thanks for comment. No we were playing both games and I returned both of my turns and never received either back.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Join the first official tournament Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI