Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 8:39:07 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Katarkus87

quote:

- In the Bacon Mod, Shipcrews can gain Experience. Are there any Plans to integrate this Mechanic?

Not in this release, but allowing ships to gain experience like troops makes sense as something to do in the future. We nearly did that in DW1, but ended up going with Ship Captains instead (which did not make the cut for DW2).

Well dang this is the only disappointing thing I have heard so far as ship captains were such a cool role playing feature. Are there no longer characters anymore? If so what else character wise is still the same or different?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 151
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 1:33:57 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

On one hand maybe it'd make exploration even more meaningful, on a per system basis if you couldn't automatically see the entire system as soon as you entered it, or if terrain like Asteroid fields, clouds, planets etc kind of disrupted sensor strength - On the other hand it might not be great flying around the corner of an asteroid field straight into an enemy empire/pirate/creature and have your ship destroyed Or more so not having info of a system in its entirety at all times which maybe causes games of unwanted hide and seek with random things at random times or something.

Maybe you could build sensor towers in systems for full sensor strength where you'd like to have that vision, especially in systems with structures so they of course can't be ambushed. The more you expand your empire the more full vision you can afford. Otherwise who knows what's lurking in a system with you, right around that planet or inside that gas cloud...

Voyager, Episode "Flashbacks":
quote:

"It would seem that Captain Sulu decided not to enter that journey into his official log. The day's entry makes some cryptic remark about the ship being damaged in a gaseous anomaly and needing repairs, but… nothing else."
"You mean, he falsified his logs?"
"It was a very different time, Mister Kim. Captain Sulu, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy. They all belonged to a different breed of Starfleet officers. Imagine the era they lived in: the Alpha Quadrant still largely unexplored… Humanity on the verge of war with the Klingons, Romulans hiding behind every nebula. Even the technology we take for granted was still in its early stages: no plasma weapons, no multi-phasic shields… Their ships were half as fast."
"No replicators. No holodecks. You know, ever since I took Starfleet history at the Academy, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in those days."
"Space must have seemed a whole lot bigger back then. It's not surprising they had to bend the rules a little. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive, and a little quicker to pull their phasers. Of course, the whole bunch of them would be booted out of Starfleet today. But I have to admit: I would have loved to ride shotgun at least once with a group of officers like that."

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 152
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 4:21:34 PM   
SilverCitadel

During my most recent playthrough I been thinking that it would be neat if there way to track major events or stats of named ships, afterall the game goes out of its way to give ships names , some based on where it was built. Would it be possible in DW2 to track stats or major events for characters or ships with long careers, or just event tracking in general like when a game of Civilizations 4 ends you can watch ingame events take place overtime.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 153
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 4:59:06 PM   
Miletkir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

quote:

quote:

- In the Bacon Mod, Shipcrews can gain Experience. Are there any Plans to integrate this Mechanic?

Not in this release, but allowing ships to gain experience like troops makes sense as something to do in the future. We nearly did that in DW1, but ended up going with Ship Captains instead (which did not make the cut for DW2).

Well dang this is the only disappointing thing I have heard so far as ship captains were such a cool role playing feature. Are there no longer characters anymore? If so what else character wise is still the same or different?

That would be my new favorite First DW2 expansion / patch / DLC

Can't believe I actually didn't bring that up earlier, though perhaps I was assuming the presence of ship captains and had also Admirals in mind.

But introducing ship XP would be orgasmic! It's already part of troops (still is, right?) so it would also totally make sense internally.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 154
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 5:43:21 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I'd much prefer a ship veterancy mechanic over ship captains because its a logical buff to performance when ship captains would be all over the place on skills and traits often being detrimental. I can't think of any organized professional military that would allow captains with a bunch of negative modifiers to command a ship. If you want to role play you can stick an admiral into a ship and set it to manual.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 155
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 5:50:07 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SilverCitadel

During my most recent playthrough I been thinking that it would be neat if there way to track major events or stats of named ships, afterall the game goes out of its way to give ships names , some based on where it was built. Would it be possible in DW2 to track stats or major events for characters or ships with long careers, or just event tracking in general like when a game of Civilizations 4 ends you can watch ingame events take place overtime.

DW1 already tracks events for Characters. For a fleet admiral it lists Every battle, every skirmish (with casualties), every war start and end.

Wich should not be too hard to keep around in DW2. It is primarily a memory concern, but in that area DW2 will be exponentially better.

(in reply to SilverCitadel)
Post #: 156
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 6:17:07 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

I haven't directly tried to fly a ship into a star, but I'm pretty sure the ships will not accept that order and thus not take damage.

In DW1 my Private Sector had build many Tourist Bases very close to a Neutron Star and automated Exploration Ships were flying right past beside a Main Yellow Star, without taking Radiation or Heat Damage. I also never ordered a Ship flying directly in to one. ;)

In a 2-D world, it is easy to asume the ships fly over the sun, not through it.
Same way the Sapce Port is not parked in the molten core of a planet, but in geostationary orbit.

DW2 however will be 3-D, wich does add issues with not flying into/clipping through Stellar objects.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

quote:

You can board them and take them as well as their cargo. You can also raid for resources and money.

Would those freighters just switch to your empire's private sector and head to a port? Or does the state take control?

DW1 had policy settings for this. They were:
- enlisted into the private fleet
- scrapped at a spaceport for technology
- with the same "upgrade to latest design" as the military ships had

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 157
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 6:43:05 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be my new favorite First DW2 expansion / patch / DLC

Can't believe I actually didn't bring that up earlier, though perhaps I was assuming the presence of ship captains and had also Admirals in mind.

But introducing ship XP would be orgasmic! It's already part of troops (still is, right?) so it would also totally make sense internally.

But this is not an option in your poll!

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 158
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 9:17:57 PM   
Miletkir

Yeah, I guess I was too absorbed by others' questions in the FAQ that I didn't take time to think thoroughly about my own desires at heart. Screwed this one up. Although perhaps ship XP would not be exactly considered a full scale expansion with new content, more like a big patch.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 159
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/7/2021 4:58:24 PM   
tebjan

[please delete] (sorry)

< Message edited by tebjan -- 2/7/2021 5:07:24 PM >

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 160
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/7/2021 5:05:04 PM   
Drumline2

Is it still possible to find end game Government types in ruins?

(in reply to tebjan)
Post #: 161
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/7/2021 5:06:43 PM   
tebjan

Which engine does DW2 use?
--> It's a significantly customized version of Xenko/Stride.

Hello, I'm from the Stride game engine open-source community and just found out about this. I think that's great news and if you are interested in mutual promotion like guest blog posts or such things please send me a DM or e-mail.

It would also be nice to backport interesting developments that you did for the engine while creating the game.

All the best for the launch,
t

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 162
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/7/2021 11:47:52 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: tebjan

Hello, I'm from the Stride game engine open-source community and just found out about this. I think that's great news and if you are interested in mutual promotion like guest blog posts or such things please send me a DM or e-mail.

It would also be nice to backport interesting developments that you did for the engine while creating the game.

t

Hi tebjan, I've responded to you directly in the Stride Discord server

Thanks

(in reply to tebjan)
Post #: 163
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/8/2021 3:01:07 AM   
sinbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

t

Hi tebjan, I've responded to you directly in the Stride Discord server

Thanks

Elliot, thanks for everything you do my friend. DW is a superb franchise and you should be very proud. Now back to work! :P

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 164
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:22:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
1. Solar systems. Can binary stars system (or tertiary, quaternary) exist? The most recent data indicate that at least half of the systems in the Milky way have 2+ suns.

Not at present, but this is definitely something we want to add in the future if possible.

quote:

2. Stealth. You spoke of various levels of intel on ships, depending of sensor coverage. It reminds me a bit of Stars!, a nerdy 4x game running in WEGO. Actual question now Do you get any feedback, as the stealth ship, to your stealth status?
In the real world you either detect objects with passive or active sensors. Active ones are much more powerful, and passive are limited to the speed of light. IRL, active too, but in a sci-fi game you usually ping a target with tachyon (FTL particles) to identify them.
Anyway, what I mean is that there is some ground on a feature where the target can know if it is detected or not... I guess DW2 provides no feedback on that, as I see it as a rather grognard feature. Yes/No?

No, not at present but it might make sense to add something like that. Stealth and sensors are more significant than in DW1 and having an all-Stealth fleet can make a big difference in the warning time your opponent gets, but I expect the full interplay between them will take some time to really emerge and polish, perhaps across future updates and expansions.

quote:

3. What about resources reserved by other empires you go to war with? Are they still gently kept on your planets or can you impound them? This was quite infuriating (yes, to this level ) in DW1 to see 40k steel units reserved by a nation you were at war with.

Not sure, I doubt it works the same as in DW1 as I recall this specifically being something we wanted to change, but will double-check.

quote:

4. How do you handle a ship stranded in space with destroyed (not damaged) engines? Can a construction ship tows the ship? Repair it? But you said only damaged components were repaired.

A construction ship can come and repair it, including destroyed components. Self-repair is best at repairing damaged components, not destroyed ones (with a few exceptions for higher self-repair techs).

quote:

5. I'm a bit worried about the lack of 'banned to travel' systems for the civilian sectors. I fear they will be destroyed regularly by some menaces in systems where you would prefer they don't transit into. And this can also works against the AI, where the player setup ambushes in barren systems which are used as a waypoint by enemy civilian ships.

It's much smarter about that in DW2, but as I said earlier we'd also like to add a manual way for players to declare systems as dangerous.

quote:

6. Privateers? Is there a way to hide your nationality to raid on civilian shipping?

Hm, only if you had very good stealth and the civilian freighter had very poor sensors, otherwise they'll figure it out. This won't necessarily lead to war though, but would give a diplomatic penalty.

In the future, it will be possible again to have more complex arrangements with pirates for plausible deniability. :-)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Perry_Rhodan)
Post #: 165
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:31:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cubano
How many people are working on the game and what are their roles?

Well, we haven't put together the final credits, so I won't mention other names as I don't know yet how they'd like to be represented. However, for DW2 we have the following:

Elliot and I are the main team. Elliot is the developer and overall technical lead. We both work on the design together as well as the lore and story elements. I also act as an internal Producer and coordinate the larger team, communicate with the various contractors and coordinate testing and feedback to make sure Elliot's time is as efficiently spent as possible.

Richard Evans, our Art Director, is responsible for all the concept art and has given plenty of advice and counsel to the various artists working on DW2.

I have one "supertester" helping me greatly on the data side, when it comes to getting what's on the various design spreadsheets into the game files, helping me use my time more efficiently.

We have worked with five 3D modelers on this project so far as well as three animators (one specialized on the character animations), one special effects artist, two interface artists (one also an interface designer), one Character artist and Illustrator who is also becoming our new concept artist and has some 3D skills, and finally one composer to create some original music for DW2. I expect we may have a couple more contributors before we're all done.

For comparison, DW1's team was Elliot and me and one artist (sometimes a different artist for each release, but typically one) plus some help from Richard on illustrations and concept advice.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cubano)
Post #: 166
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:33:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raagun
I think this was one of most innovative (I think. Never saw this in other 4X) things in DW:U. It added extra diplomatic layer. And made possible to balance OP races indirectly (everyone hate bugs >:D)
I know that at start few races will be there, but modders and later expansions probably will drastically increase that. So having support for race groups is handy from start.

This is more fine-grained now, in that you have some biases down to the level of each alien race and also population policies down to that same level per location. This is also all still moddable.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Raagun)
Post #: 167
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:34:38 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oneil19
And i don’t want to transpose some mechanics of another game here, but is there some form of galactic threat appearing in DW at some point (like crisis)?
Now it s Time for me to sink my head in DWU. Can t believe i missed it...

Welcome, we're glad you found us! Yes, DW has always had various threats and DW2 will be the same. The Pirates are obviously a very early threat, but there's more beyond that that I can't discuss at this time.

quote:

And btw, this place was pretty hard to find. Either lost in the many sections of the forum or i am blind. For ease of access, might want to put a link on the steam page. To get some exposure :)

I believe Steam doesn't really want us directly linking to our own site and forums, though customers are welcome to spread the word.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Oneil19)
Post #: 168
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:38:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dd_01
1. I'm curious about the soundtrack - would it switch tracks randomly (as in the first part) or there's some kind of built-in music player to switch tracks manually if desired?

Too early for me to answer this, sorry.

quote:

2. Not sure if it was asked before, but would it be possible to have different ship types within the same class? I.e. Missile Frigate, Torpedo Frigate, Boarding Frigate (all available to upgrade and build) and so on?

Yes, but there's nothing that would restrict a specific weapon slot to missiles-only or torpedos-only in terms of your example, but you could setup a hull that would support that and have a design template and faction preferences that effectively create that end result. Slots can be restricted to a maximum size and components are defined with a size, so in that sense you might also be able to achieve that result through that route.

Our hull variants tend to focus on more weapons or more defenses or more speed or more general slots for various other needs, as well as adding more size to play with.

quote:

3. Would there be random disasters (i.e. sinkholes, huge sandstorms, plagues, economic crises)?

Yes.

quote:

4. Would there be a way to peacefully integrate vassalized empire?

We don't have that in the initial release.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 169
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:40:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir
I actually like you didn't put captains in since there were never enough captains for all those ships! Are Admirals still in? Characters at the higher levels of empire bureaucracy seem more fit for DW. Intelligence Agents, Governors, Ambassadors, Scientists. Any new additions?

Yes, Captains and Governors are out, at least for the initial release. Governors are likely to return, Captains probably not unless we come up with a better system for them. Admirals, Generals, Leaders, Ambassadors, Scientists and Agents are all in.

We have a lot of other ideas for where we want to go with characters and higher level leadership in the future, but those are for an expansion.

quote:

Would those freighters just switch to your empire's private sector and head to a port? Or does the state take control?

They should become part of your private sector.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 170
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:46:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whiskiz
One and only actual question - Is there a way to track not just how a war is going, but the impact of War Weariness on your empire? Either a general "level" or the exact effects? It'd be nice to know to help in the decision making for example in how far you want to push things, what you may or may not need to do elsewhere to cope with it currently etc. Instead of just say happening to have lower colony happiness than usual. I'm guessing so but i just wanted to double check, also because:

Yes. The main effect is on your population's happiness, but that has cascading effects down the line as you need to mitigate that, which can be done through various means. One of those is to reduce taxation, which then ends up hurting your economy during war. Another is to build facilities/components to help, but those can cost more and there's a point where you won't be able to mitigate without economic effects.

You have top level summaries of colony happiness now as well as top level views of income and a summary of what level your war weariness has reached. However, this whole system is still being tested and has some bugs at present which we are working through.

quote:

It'd be great if you could also track your allies War Weariness too, to know where they're at at all times: if they need help, if they recently took a big hit, if they're about to peace out etc. Adding more depth to having friends and working and coordinating with them.

Agreed.

quote:

Maybe you could build sensor towers in systems for full sensor strength where you'd like to have that vision, especially in systems with structures so they of course can't be ambushed. The more you expand your empire the more full vision you can afford. Otherwise who knows what's lurking in a system with you, right around that planet or inside that gas cloud...

Typically by the time you're outside your own system, your sensors are good enough to cover a whole system once in-system (barring stealth tech and one particular space creature). It's at that point that long range sensors become more of a concern.

quote:

-I was actually going to leave a thread saying it'd be cool if Ship Captains were also a little more rare and meaningful, to then give them skills that work temporarily - like an ability to turn sharply, one to boost engines, one to increase firepower and/or shield regen, maybe one to enter complete stealth for a few seconds, one to drop some mines etc.

Either with separate cooldowns and unlocked at different levels/ranks - or a global resource meter that depletes as each is used with the size of the meter increasing with level/rank: So it's dynamic what you use in which situation. Bring some awesome RPG to your biggest most favorite ships, in your biggest fights.

We have a lot to consider for characters in the future. I expect one of the DW2 expansions, like Legends was for DW1, will have a character focus and add a lot more to what characters do for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 171
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:47:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SilverCitadel

We track far more than what we tracked in DW1. I'll see what's possible down to the individual ship level.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SilverCitadel)
Post #: 172
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 5:48:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
I can't think of any organized professional military that would allow captains with a bunch of negative modifiers to command a ship.

Well, to be fair, I can certainly think of a few. To properly explain this though, we'd need to add a "political favor" system where you accumulate new admirals and generals in peace time who have to be assigned based on their political favor, then in wartime their actual stats are revealed.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 173
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/8/2021 5:49:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drumline2
Is it still possible to find end game Government types in ruins?

Yes.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Drumline2)
Post #: 174
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/8/2021 5:50:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

t

Thanks for the good wishes and for stopping in here Tebjan. You should have already heard back from Elliot, but feel free to drop me a line as well if you have any questions.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tebjan)
Post #: 175
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 2/8/2021 6:53:34 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

It would be interesting to know if supply/demand and prices of resources have changed anything from DW1 to DW2. It always was a bit odd that prices were set on a galaxy scale when markets often were more local for the most part. As it can take quite the amount of time to get one resource from one end of the galaxy to the next then local price on supply and demand should effect the price where it is needed. So if one planet need a resource it would pay more for that resource to entice the market to send resources there even if it takes a longer trip to do so as it would pay more than sending it somewhere else.

So how does the price on resources vary, is it only on a galactic stage or can prices vary locally too depending on supply and demand?

Post #: 176
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 8:03:28 PM   
zgrssd

Edit: Hit reply before writing my responses. Ups.

Post #: 177
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 8:04:20 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raagun

Love additions you made to game. Really see how they can enrich strategies. Looking forward to my beta invite *wink* *wink*

Question:
Do you keep race groups?

I think this was one of most innovative (I think. Never saw this in other 4X) things in DW:U. It added extra diplomatic layer. And made possible to balance OP races indirectly (everyone hate bugs >:D)
I know that at start few races will be there, but modders and later expansions probably will drastically increase that. So having support for race groups is handy from start.

I felt in DW1 pop policies were mainly for roleplay.The min max way was always keeping pops assimilate.I hope this has expanded a bit.

(in reply to Raagun)
Post #: 178
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 8:22:09 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
1. Solar systems. Can binary stars system (or tertiary, quaternary) exist? The most recent data indicate that at least half of the systems in the Milky way have 2+ suns.

Not at present, but this is definitely something we want to add in the future if possible.

The main difference to conventional orbits, is that in binary Systems the Stars and all planetary bodies rotate around a shared Barycenter rather then each other.

Well, technically there always is a Barycenter - even between earth and any artificial sattelite. But as long as the Barycenter is inside the bigger object, we rarely care:
Luna and Earth have a particulary pronounced barycenter (pretty far from the planets core), but we still usually say "moon orbits the earth".

It is only when the barycenter ends up outside one of the bodies, that it starts to mater.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whiskiz
One and only actual question - Is there a way to track not just how a war is going, but the impact of War Weariness on your empire? Either a general "level" or the exact effects? It'd be nice to know to help in the decision making for example in how far you want to push things, what you may or may not need to do elsewhere to cope with it currently etc. Instead of just say happening to have lower colony happiness than usual. I'm guessing so but i just wanted to double check, also because:

Yes. The main effect is on your population's happiness, but that has cascading effects down the line as you need to mitigate that, which can be done through various means. One of those is to reduce taxation, which then ends up hurting your economy during war. Another is to build facilities/components to help, but those can cost more and there's a point where you won't be able to mitigate without economic effects.

You have top level summaries of colony happiness now as well as top level views of income and a summary of what level your war weariness has reached. However, this whole system is still being tested and has some bugs at present which we are working through.

In practice, only lowering taxes would work. Stuff like the Modules of spaceports are a one-time investment that will increase the baseline.

But that gives me another question:
In Stellaris, they now have a system where pop Happiness and Stablity (roughly DW1 compliance) is only loosely tied. In a Xenophile Democracy, average Pop Happiness just about Equals Stability.
But a opressive regime can have very unhappy citizens - particulary slaves - that still comply. The downsdie would be the creation of Crime (roughly DW1 Corruption).

quote:

quote:

I can't think of any organized professional military that would allow captains with a bunch of negative modifiers to command a ship.

Well, to be fair, I can certainly think of a few. To properly explain this though, we'd need to add a "political favor" system where you accumulate new admirals and generals in peace time who have to be assigned based on their political favor, then in wartime their actual stats are revealed.

Some games I can think off, if you are still looking for inspiration:
- In Shadow Empires, Factions that dislike you will demand that you hire a leader they propose (meaning Reserve pool payment at least, propably also giving them a job)
- In Imperator Rome, there are 3+ major Families (depending on Empire size). Each with a (not to large) pool of members - adoption of independant leaders is used in case they run to low.
And each of them demands a specific amount of posts to be given to their familiy members. Together with Troops becomming Loyal to their general over time, it is a major driving factor behind I:Rs sucession Crisis/Roman Civil war.

Post #: 179
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2021 11:58:57 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

quote:

Hmm would be an interesting mechanic. Depending on type of government and current state of affairs certain leadership positions could be filled with incompetent social climbers and leeches. Welp without delving too deep into current politics I think I see where you are coming from.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI