Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: T8 events

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: T8 events Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: T8 events - 8/28/2021 5:25:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken has surrounded my units at Kiev. They will all die where they stand.

Attachment (1)

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 121
RE: T10 events - 8/30/2021 6:20:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken has reached my front lines defending Moscow way before I expected him to. This is
disconcerting. I'll need to rail a bunch of troops into Moscow before I do anything
else. All my planes are resting still. Most of my troops are cherry red.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 122
RE: T10 events - 8/31/2021 9:10:06 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Ken has reached my front lines defending Moscow way before I expected him to. This is
disconcerting. I'll need to rail a bunch of troops into Moscow before I do anything
else. All my planes are resting still. Most of my troops are cherry red

The positions in themselves look strong enough but there are a lot of gaps that need to get closed up, otherwise the Axis will simply ignore the positions and move around them- I see this has already happened out to the west where I see a continuous segment of front at least nine hexes long still intact but which can just be left trapped to die from desertion effects.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 123
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 8/31/2021 12:49:54 PM   
redcrayon

this monster game..................only a few will play...................best game on Russian german war
this monster game....only a few will play....best game on german Russian war

Post #: 124
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 8/31/2021 4:03:51 PM   
loveman2

Looks like a German win in a few more moves

(in reply to redcrayon)
Post #: 125
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 8/31/2021 4:48:54 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: loveman2

Looks like a German win in a few more moves

Not quite there yet. If Larry can close up around Moscow it looks like he has enough pieces to make the German sit down and create a breakthrough while at the extreme of his supply lines. If not then all those segments of line are going to get cut off and then so is Moscow.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to loveman2)
Post #: 126
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/1/2021 8:34:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken has reached my defenders around Leningrad. It's just a matter of time before he owns the port

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/1/2021 8:35:15 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 127
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/1/2021 8:46:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken has placed a pontoon unit in the water to allow the movement of his troops across the bay to
get behind my lines very quickly. This is a very good move and displays his out-of-the-box thinking
and innovation in TOAW gameplay. I'm learning a lot from playing Ken Fortune. I'm obviously
loosing this game but it's the most fun game I've had in quite a while.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 128
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/1/2021 9:03:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Moscow area looks like right now. Ken is slowly pushing my Soviet front lines
backward and has gotten a lot of units behind my lines and is pushing them toward Moscow
so I need to quickly build another front line closer to the city. I have the troops to do that
but they are all in need of rest and won't last long in combat. It's looking grim for the people
of Moscow. I need to rail a lot more troops into this AO and fast. Ken is finding
all the gaps in my lines and is taking advantage of them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 129
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/8/2021 1:09:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's only T14 and Ken has captured Leningrad already. It's beyond dispute that he is
winning big time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/8/2021 1:22:14 PM >

Post #: 130
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/8/2021 1:30:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on around the Moscow area right now. Ken is in the process of
liquidating my several front lines slowly. I'm railing people into the Moscow AO but
not enough of them and not fast enough. All my aircraft are resting because most of them are red
still. Also, all the reinforcements arrive in a cherry red state and need rest before they
can be of any use in combat. And I'm getting a boat-load of reinforcements each turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/8/2021 8:23:49 PM >

Post #: 131
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/8/2021 1:39:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like SE of Kiev right now. Ken has forced his way across the Dneper
and is already threatening Kharkov and will soon own it. I've decided to give up as much
of this territory as I need to in order to buy enough time to build a better front line to the
east of here. Ken is already forcing his way into the Crimea also.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/8/2021 1:41:02 PM >

Post #: 132
RE: The Cobra vs the Mongoose - 9/8/2021 1:48:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken has gotten some units all the way to the entrance to the Sevastopol area already. He's
moving way faster than I remember the Axis forces going in previous games. This is a hell of a
good game. I'm having a blast.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 133
T15 events - 9/11/2021 6:20:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the condition of some of my fighters. Some of them have 100% supply and 100%
readiness but their proficiency is down in the basement. The highest proficiency I've found in all my
aircraft is something like 24%.

Which means that if I move them up to the front and put them in harm's way that most of them are just
cannon fodder and would most likely get shot down before they gain enough proficiency to survive. Especially
given the fact that their aircraft are obsolete. I dare not put the biplanes ( I-153's ) in combat. I
don't feel all that good about putting the early model I-16's ( Type 10 ) in harm's way. Until the
Mig-4's and Yak-3's start showing up I'm fighting with inferior equipment piloted by pilots
that don't know their mass from a black hole.

I experimented last turn by moving some of my aircraft into airfields that were a long
range from Axis equipment and most of them took serious losses. I'm thinking about storing them far
to the east until I REALLY need them reguardless of losses. Come to think of it....Moscow is being
threatened big time so maybe I should move all of them to Moscow while I still can.

Post #: 134
RE: T15 events - 9/15/2021 4:34:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on around the Moscow area. Ken has me surrounded pretty good. The terrain switch "no borders" is on so I have no idea what is my territory and what is his but I'm still railing troops into the Moscow area to form a front line around the entire city before that isn't possible any longer. This game has turned more interesting for me.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 135
RE: T15 events - 9/21/2021 4:24:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's some of my losses in T18 before I have started moving anybody.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 136
restart planned - 9/21/2021 12:08:32 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ken Fortune was kind enough to call me via my land line and give me some excellent tips about how to play the Soviet side and I really appreciate that. As you can discern I lost this game big time and Ken and I decided to do a restart and allow me to try to do a much better job as the Soviet player. As you all know by now, the first turn for the Axis side is so complex and there's so much going on that it usually takes a while to produce the first turn moves file so it's going to be a couple of days until anything happens but I plan on continuing this AAR to include the next game as well so we can compare and contrast how much better I'm doing ( or not ) and I plan on trying to document everything I do so we can all benefit from this game.

Ken is a real gentleman and as you can see he plays really well. I plan on documenting the game much better so you guys can see what I'm doing and provide whatever advice you guys want to provide.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/21/2021 12:09:46 PM >

Post #: 137
Ken's T1 moves attached here below - 9/29/2021 7:57:16 PM   
larryfulkerson

I have just received Ken Fortune's Axis T1 moves. For those of you who want to watch the replay of his moves I have attached a zip file here below. My password is "" meaning just hit the enter key with no text in the textbox. I'm watching it as I speak so I have no idea how many events there are but I'm estimating that there are about 33.451K of them. This will restart our game and so we're a go for liftoff.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/29/2021 9:27:31 PM >

Post #: 138
RE: Ken's T1 moves attached here below - 9/29/2021 8:10:11 PM   
larryfulkerson

We're still early in his moves and Ken is making outstanding progress due to an astonishing number of RBC's. I noticed that his first moves were his aircraft moving to better positions. He's even using seaborne moves to advance his ground units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 139
RE: Ken's T1 moves attached here below - 9/29/2021 8:33:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've noticed that he makes a hole and then moves his troops through the hole to surround my units and move his troops to the extent they will go and makes another hole. Rinse and repeat.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 140
RE: Ken's T1 moves attached here below - 9/29/2021 8:49:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's something I thought was particularly cleaver: he's capturing airfields with his partisans and moving his aircraft there for reaching more of my airfields for airfield strikes.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 141
Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 9:32:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

When I open my side of the turn here's what I see. The difference between our air shock values tells me to remove all the aircraft I can to safety and the land shock value tells me to avoid any ground combat. So I'm going to employ the "run away" defense, blowing those bridges I can reach on the retreat.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 142
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 9:37:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

The executed attacks panel says that there were 272 battles, 33 of which were airfield strikes, almost all of which I lost an aircraft unit. So I'm estimating about 30 aircraft units were lost. I'll show the losses panel below.
EDIT: I discovered that clicking on the "news" column header doesn't exactly sort correctly and that I missed about 90% of the airfield attacks. So in actuallity I lost all but 12 of my aircraft units during the Axis half of T1.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/29/2021 10:18:38 PM >

Post #: 143
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 9:47:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the losses panel and you can see that there are some aircraft types that have none assigned. I interpret that to mean that all the aircraft units that had those assigned were all eliminated during the Axis half of the turn. I took a peek at the air units panel and it said that I have 12 aircraft units surviving and half of them are in reorg. So there are only 6 aircraft that I can move to safety now. The other six I guess I'll just move to 1-dot settings and hope for the best.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 144
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 10:24:18 PM   
rhinobones

Larry

Looks like you’re a victim of the old “killer” first move. Wonder what Barbarossa would have been like if the Wehrmacht had a bunch of practice tries before the real assault. This is what’s expected when playing the same scenario multiple times. Everyone knows what’s coming and that is just the way the game is played. Maybe some random Soviet deployments would make the opening move more challenging.

What does bother me a little bit is the use of units in roles for which they were not designed or intended. In this game, and others before, MP, engineer, bridging and AA units are commonly deployed as deep reconnaissance maneuver units. I realize that this is all within the TOAW rules, but I find it unrealistic when an air defense or engineer unit makes a deep, unsupported, penetration behind enemy lines. Wish there was a way to make these units more valuable in their intended function so they wouldn’t be recklessly used in the deep reconnaissance or encirclement mode. Guess it’s a TOAW/scenario design issue.

Good shooting & best regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 145
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 10:44:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Larry

Looks like you’re a victim of the old “killer” first move. Wonder what Barbarossa would have been like if the Wehrmacht had a bunch of practice tries before the real assault. This is what’s expected when playing the same scenario multiple times. Everyone knows what’s coming and that is just the way the game is played. Maybe some random Soviet deployments would make the opening move more challenging.

What does bother me a little bit is the use of units in roles for which they were not designed or intended. In this game, and others before, MP, engineer, bridging and AA units are commonly deployed as deep reconnaissance maneuver units. I realize that this is all within the TOAW rules, but I find it unrealistic when an air defense or engineer unit makes a deep, unsupported, penetration behind enemy lines. Wish there was a way to make these units more valuable in their intended function so they wouldn’t be recklessly used in the deep reconnaissance or encirclement mode. Guess it’s a TOAW/scenario design issue.

Good shooting & best regards

I agree with all that you have said. I'm guilty of doing the things you described myself, and I admit freely that yes, I have more or less memorized where the Soviet units might be and where they aren't and used that information to inform where I move my units and it's really not fair for the Soviet player when that happens. I think random Soviet deployment would go a long way of making it more fair for the Soviet side but would also, sortof, encourage the Axis player to tend to use their units more realistically. That way you wouldn't see AAA units moving 200km forward of supporting forces as an ad hoc recon unit ( probably ) unless the commander was using that unit as bait or trying to get them killed or was a Soviet commander maybe. [You know how Soviet commanders don't have much reguard for the life of their subordinates. Those that do are usually replaced faster than the disappearance of a Soviet journalist.]

As reguards the current game: I'm going to try to build a makeshift front line in the gap between the rivers near Orsha, using whatever units are handy.

I've tried to rail my RR engineers to sites of a successful Axis bridge attack and of the 9 that I attempted to move only 2 of them actually arrived at the site. And those that were stopped in transit via Axis INT attacks suffered severe losses. Half the equipment in the unit in some cases. That's punishing and I obviously need to move something else, almost anything else, first to get the Axis INT attacks down to a managable level, since they tend to taper off after several have occured.

I'm actually in favor of more realistic games, but I DO recognize the fact that some players think outside the box and do things that are perhaps risky but at least unorthodox. I like surprises. Ken is constantly teaching me the tips and tricks used by superior players and I LOVE how he plays. My favorite opponent by far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 146
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 11:02:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in the middle. I haven't moved anybody in this image and actually, I have no idea how many of these units CAN move. Most of them are in reorg or are already adjacent to an Axis unit which I don't always try to move but rather just dig them in and set them to a three-dot stance.

Ken has started the game using the "No Borders" switch so I have no idea where the invisible Axis units are and moving my Soviet units that can move to the east are vulnerable to being stopped at almost any spot on the map where Ken has units east of mine.

But having said that, I'm going to try to escape with moving my units generally to the east, blowing bridges along the way.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 147
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 11:20:46 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

I like surprises. Ken is constantly teaching me the tips and tricks used by superior players and I LOVE how he plays. My favorite opponent by far.

That you enjoy the game, this is what's important.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 148
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/29/2021 11:32:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
quote:

I like surprises. Ken is constantly teaching me the tips and tricks used by superior players and I LOVE how he plays. My favorite opponent by far.

That you enjoy the game, this is what's important.

Regards

I AM enjoying this game. I'm trying to include you guys in the fun too by posting a LOT more than I used to so you guys can keep up with this wonderful happening.

This is an image showing the Expected Reinforcements for T2. I have no idea how many there are but I'd label this a boat-load. But there are only 3 aircraft units in the list. D'oh. But there's plenty of everything else.

The gymnastics at the top in yellow is a demonstration of what I need to do now. I need to find all the hexes where things are scheduled to spawn and prepare some room in the hex for the new units. I'd hate to find out that I missed getting another 9 units in the game because I neglected to move the 9 that are already there and I COULD have moved them if I just would have.

This is going to take some time but it needs to be done.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/29/2021 11:34:34 PM >

Post #: 149
RE: Soviet T1 moves - 9/30/2021 12:53:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

I saved my Ken Fortune game and started a new FITE2 game and went to the Soviet side and found out that on T1 there were 226 aircraft units surviving and 6 Axis furballs that shot down 6 more aircraft so that means that there were 232 aircraft at the start of the game. In my game with Ken I have only 12 aircraft left so that means that 220 aircraft were lost in Ken's turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/30/2021 12:54:11 AM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: T8 events Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI