Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Personal Shield Generators

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Personal Shield Generators Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Personal Shield Generators - 9/17/2021 8:23:18 PM   
ParadoxSong

Personal Shield Generators can only combined with Padded Envirosuit, which gives 500 armor strength. My question is, is a reduction of 500 armor strength (From the, IMO, cheaper Advanced Battle Dress) worth it?

Do they even get classified as being a Shield in the calibre matrix? (Maybe making them at least good vs lower tech units which take a large % penalty to firing at them - though mostly 50% or less just making them comparable?)

Do they restore hit points every combat round like a real shield generator does?
Post #: 1
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 9/17/2021 9:17:31 PM   
Clux

The personal shield generators aren't worth it, since an infantry with battledress (plus personal armor optimization) will have higher HP stats. Yes, they get classified as shield in the caliber matrix, but they don't recover (or at least not 100%) of their hit points as shield generators.

At the end, they are weaker than infantry with regular armor and are more expensive.

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to ParadoxSong)
Post #: 2
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 9/17/2021 10:38:09 PM   
ParadoxSong

That's what I figured. At least if Jetpack Infantry could use it, it'd have some value.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 3
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 9/23/2021 4:31:03 PM   
Elver

Since Jetpack Infantry can wear armor heavier than PES, my first thought was actually that it should be usable by bikes, which can never have more than PES and thus become impractically fragile very early and never stop being so. Given that they have a vehicle to mount the shield equipment on, it'd actually feel more reasonable than some of the other options.

(in reply to ParadoxSong)
Post #: 4
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 10/5/2021 7:16:49 PM   
Elver

Having actually played a game long enough to develop some units with this, they're actually significantly stronger than infantry with Battledress. They get the same amount of bonus armor strength from Personal Armor Optimization, but they also get about twice as much per level of optimization from Shielding Optimization. The result was that my significantly-worse-as-a-model Shielded infantry model (85 Structural Design, 76 Armor Design) had 200 more HP than my state-of-the-art Battledress infantry (105 SD, 99 AD) despite having only very slightly better PA Optimization (78 vs. 65):

[Edit: for a more 1-to-1 comparison, quad-MG infantry with all stats the same between the old and new designs except +13 Base Design goes from 986 (Battledress) to 1567 (Personal Shielding). (Optimization tech is the same as above) ]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Elver -- 10/5/2021 9:12:47 PM >

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 5
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 10/5/2021 9:11:31 PM   
Clux

You have to remember than shield hp gets depleted, so the unit gets weaker the more it gets attacked, while regular infantry doesn't suffer from this.

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 6
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 10/5/2021 9:15:55 PM   
Elver

That may be true, but having ~150% the HP of a Battledressed unit (plus increased resistance to non-plasma attacks) can make a rather large difference even if you don't have the same endurance over multiple attacks.

[Edit: d'oh, I was looking at regular Battledress numbers, not advanced, so it'd be at best equal HP. Still, it does seem like the bonuses would be situationally useful against non-plasma opponents, even if it does make the units painfully more expensive.]

< Message edited by Elver -- 10/6/2021 12:48:55 AM >

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 7
RE: Personal Shield Generators - 10/6/2021 8:53:44 PM   
Elver

I've come around to your way of thinking after a few more experiments and digging through combat details, but not for the reasons you give. If all things were equal and it worked as you outlined, shields would be more reliable at the start of combat than other armor, but would inevitably grow less reliable as the battle wears on. Raider Militia can (but probably won't) one-shot infantry in Heavy Battledress, but it's literally impossible for them to one-shot Personal Shielded infantry. Attacks hit traditional armor if their roll of (0 to modified-attack-score) exceeds the defender's roll of (0 to modified-defense-score), and then the type of hit (kill, retreat, pin) is determined and resolved. Attacks against shields appear to be simply a roll of (0 to modified-attack-score) subtracted from the remaining shield absorption, which starts combat as their unmodified HP, and if there's no absorption left it's always a kill. Notably, there does not appear to be any modification to HP in shielded combat resolution, which means all bonuses - from XP to commanders to cover to anything else - would play no role. It's just the shielded unit's HP. That's... not good. Taking a veteran unit with experienced leadership, this might be a difference of 100% vs. 200%+ - at that point, there's no comparison between even basic battledress + modifiers and shields.

Again, this is based on reading the manual and looking at combat details, but it appears to be what's going on, and if it's accurate, personal shields are "pure trash" rather than merely "expensive yet slightly inferior in most cases".

< Message edited by Elver -- 10/6/2021 8:56:12 PM >

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Personal Shield Generators Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI