Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G) vs ZOVS (R)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G) vs ZOVS (R) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 1:54:44 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Axis Air Phase

I run AS (Air Superiority) in the Riga area to try and get some more A2A kills for my fighters. Never can have too many of those. Like Clockwork the Soviet wants to keep the gulf of Riga devoid of transports. So be it, I will rack up the A2A kills instead.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 91
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 1:56:14 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

End of Air Phase

Rack up 66 more A2A kills to the lose of zero fighters. On to the ground phase.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 92
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 2:04:12 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

BTW, I did not fly any Recon? Why? Because I don't need to. Can pretty much guess and/or creep forward a Division to tell where something is. So, no Recon.

Anyway, without recon I see this on the Northern Rumanian border. Interesting setup with two Mountain Divisions. Will see what I can do here with them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 2:14:25 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Rail in the South

I am playing the South a bit different at the moment with the FBD. I will repair to Lvov and then connect the Northern single line to Lvov coming from Zamosc. Once that is finished turn 3 the single line repair will connect up to the Rumanian border picking up the two Level 2 railyards, Stanislov & Chernovtsy. I will then go back to the dual line and continue east. The Rumanian FBD will also assist in this. A few turns from now I will bring the RAD units from up north to finish up the links into Hungary. At least that is the plan but items have a way of getting shuffled around, lol. Probably backfire on me but what the hell, going to do it anyway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 94
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 2:27:21 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Intermission

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/26/2022 2:29:04 AM >

Post #: 95
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:05:45 AM   
56ajax

I like intermission.

@Aurelian and @Stamb

Lock HQ ; my knowledge is somewhat dated and I am only a 'dabbler' on WiTE 2 but you used to Lock HQ as a startup game setting so that every HQ that entered the game after T1 was set as Locked by default. This is probably more important to the Soviets with some many extra HQs to come.

(In WitE1 I remember finding a new HQ miles from anywhere absolutely full of support units. Lock HQ stops this happening.)

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Post #: 96
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 9:36:00 AM   
Stamb

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Danzig

Turn 2 sees Danzig fill up rather nicely. Is my way the correct way, probably not, but it is my way of seeing things unfold.

I also only have ONE import port in the Baltic. I have a 1 for 1 relationship.

In my game I had both Danzig and Hel as export ports, and freight was taken from Hel, not from Danzig, despite having bigger port. Maybe because Hel is just closer to import ports.

Post #: 97
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 12:45:13 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

I like intermission.

@Aurelian and @Stamb

Lock HQ ; my knowledge is somewhat dated and I am only a 'dabbler' on WiTE 2 but you used to Lock HQ as a startup game setting so that every HQ that entered the game after T1 was set as Locked by default. This is probably more important to the Soviets with some many extra HQs to come.

(In WitE1 I remember finding a new HQ miles from anywhere absolutely full of support units. Lock HQ stops this happening.)

Yes, "intermission" is nice.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 98
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 2:48:27 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamb

quote:

Turn 2

Danzig

Turn 2 sees Danzig fill up rather nicely. Is my way the correct way, probably not, but it is my way of seeing things unfold.

I also only have ONE import port in the Baltic. I have a 1 for 1 relationship.

In my game I had both Danzig and Hel as export ports, and freight was taken from Hel, not from Danzig, despite having bigger port. Maybe because Hel is just closer to import ports.

Any port is viable for the Germans. BUT, and this is just my thinking on the matter, is that per rule 25.4.1 titled "Moving Freight by Rail, Railyard Capacity" the 2nd paragraph from the end states the following, "There is a 30 hex limit to how far from a unit or freight location a railyard can be in order to use its railyard for rail movement". A quick look at the map shows that Danzig is "EXACTLY" 30 hexes from both north hexes of Berlin, thus capable of using both of those railyards. Then you have Setten railyards, Poznan, and Bydgoszcz all capable of contributing their railyard capacity to move freight to just Danzig. Then Danzig can move the freight by sea or push further East where Railyard capacity starts to wane in the north. Remember Ports, like I pointed out in my previous AAR, receives freight before normal depots. Thus, I am directing supply to Danzig with the most means of moving that freight from all the level 2+ railyards to Danzig. Then from Danzig I can have the supply go by sea to Ventspills or Liepaja (and later Riga) that has more level 2 railyards to send freight into Russia OR Danzig can use its level 2 railyard to send the supply further into Russia by rail. This is the reason I pick Danzig over all other ports. I believe I have chosen correctly, only time will tell.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/26/2022 2:50:11 PM >

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 99
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 2:55:19 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Just a note that Zovs and I have updated to .16

I also want to direct readers to Zovs VERY well written Soviet side to this AAR here;

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5134062

Post #: 100
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:04:50 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

"Death has a hundred hands and walks by a thousand ways"

T S Eliot

I need not say more, said enough on this before, here is the picture

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:25:44 PM   
Zovs

Well it does save me some AP 😂

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 102
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:38:17 PM   
Stamb

Thanks for detailed answer HLYA.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 103
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:39:24 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

I spent 5 points on Depots this turn.... I am kicking myself in the butt in retrospect since I spent two to many points on depots after reflecting on my snapshots of the battlefield. I will know better on my next Axis game. This is my total AP saved so far & should have 40 saved AP for next turn.

So in essence when you play with motorization you still have HQ buildup, if you will, just a different name but with Infantry anywhere on the map on demand. Next turn I have 40 points I can spend on multiple Infantry divisions(13 divisions next turn if I want & I am sure I can being well within good supply) I have used it sparingly on the map so far in the game & really "very" reluctant to use it still since when I do use it the way it is written in the rules will more than likely kill this game in its track. I could have used it in the South this turn but felt dirty and did not.

Will probably limit this down in size since I really don't want to ruin this game but I wanted to show the lethality of such a thing as "full motorization" in a game but not show it at the expanse of a player.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 104
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:40:32 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Yes, one of those deaths worked out for you :) You lucky DAT!!!!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 105
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:46:51 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

You are welcome. The 30 hex level 2 railyard range makes you look at your supply attribution in a total different light on how to place depots. I am not going to get into that just "yet".

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 106
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 3:57:59 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

You are welcome. The 30 hex level 2 railyard range makes you look at your supply attribution in a total different light on how to place depots. I am not going to get into that just "yet".

It is the Master key if you will :-)

Post #: 107
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 4:46:36 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Rumanian Border

I elected not to use "motorization" and do this the normal way. Again, as I said above in a previous post of this AAR I will limit or remove from the game after thinking about it more and conversing with Zovs.

Anyway, I used the Rumanian Armor broken down into regiments to dictate where units will retreat. When I was doing this I noticed that there were no Soviets in the mountains to the north and decided to send forth the Rumanian Cav. If the Soviets attack them they will be prone to being surrounded themselves since I have yet to commit my PZ's and Motorize units in any substantial way. My PZ's and Moto are threatening though ;-). So will be interesting to see what Zovs does here. Will he try a rescue mission or will he let them go. Either way the Soviets are playing close to my supply and that is detrimental to Soviet health in my opinion.

Also please note there is another Mountain division under the Corps HQ. So 3 mountain Divisions and 2 Rifle Divisions are slowed & will see how this plays out :-)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 108
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 4:57:13 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

North @ Parnu

The Soviets put their Moto Rifle Brigade in Parnu, I counter with 3rd Motorize DV and blow them away with Manstein wanting a comfy bed to sleep in for the week. The shell of the brigade was last seen routing as fast as they could somewhere to the NW of town.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 109
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 5:42:46 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

I need to leave for awhile

but

We are on the right track

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/26/2022 5:48:54 PM   
Zovs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Yes, one of those deaths worked out for you :) You lucky DAT!!!!

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 111
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/27/2022 1:07:31 PM   
Beethoven1

quote:

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Rail in the South

I am playing the South a bit different at the moment with the FBD. I will repair to Lvov and then connect the Northern single line to Lvov coming from Zamosc. Once that is finished turn 3 the single line repair will connect up to the Rumanian border picking up the two Level 2 railyards, Stanislov & Chernovtsy. I will then go back to the dual line and continue east. The Rumanian FBD will also assist in this. A few turns from now I will bring the RAD units from up north to finish up the links into Hungary. At least that is the plan but items have a way of getting shuffled around, lol. Probably backfire on me but what the hell, going to do it anyway.

local://upfiles/53556/04B7D8178C9F4AAE8A2DAC2E0A0DC4BF.jpg

I think it makes sense to connect the level 2 railyards, but I don't think the other parts about repairing other single rails (from Zamosc and from Hungary) is going to do anything to help your supply. All that really does is add single rail capacity, to the area around Lvov, but given the German freight penalties, the bottleneck on how much freight you are able to transport is unlikely to be set by rail capacity in areas where you have a double rail line. The bottleneck limiting your freight is instead generally going to be railyards. The only way this helps with railyards is in a very minor way, by bringing a handful of railyards in Poland and Hungary slightly closer to Lvov since they will have (in some cases) slightly less circuitous paths to follow. So you would probably be better off repairing elsewhere instead after you have connected the 2 level 2 railyards.

Post #: 112
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:27:02 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beethoven1

quote:

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Rail in the South

local://upfiles/53556/04B7D8178C9F4AAE8A2DAC2E0A0DC4BF.jpg

I think it makes sense to connect the level 2 railyards, but I don't think the other parts about repairing other single rails (from Zamosc and from Hungary) is going to do anything to help your supply. All that really does is add single rail capacity, to the area around Lvov, but given the German freight penalties, the bottleneck on how much freight you are able to transport is unlikely to be set by rail capacity in areas where you have a double rail line. The bottleneck limiting your freight is instead generally going to be railyards. The only way this helps with railyards is in a very minor way, by bringing a handful of railyards in Poland and Hungary slightly closer to Lvov since they will have (in some cases) slightly less circuitous paths to follow. So you would probably be better off repairing elsewhere instead after you have connected the 2 level 2 railyards.

The extra rail line from Hungrary will help. I plan on converting the area with the incorporations of the level 2+ railyards. The none dual rail lines should contribute to depots on the dual track lines, granted in small amounts but small amounts add up. Going to test it out but will post on it in this AAR.

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 113
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:31:22 AM   
AlbertN

When I did it in my own game it was because that way the Hungarian railyards can contribute to the depots there and the shuffling to the east.

But I am far from sure how much that is relevant.

Post #: 114
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:31:33 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Been traveling & will have updates on my Port supply, supply in general, turn 2 ground movement, attacks, and updates on what I am thinking tomorrow night or Sunday at the latest. I am traveling in the morning again but should be back home later tomorrow.

I know I know, you had enough of my ramblings anyway why make it worse? I will give you $3.50 ;-P Anyway catch ya tomorrow since turn 3 is already with Zovs and may have "not so juicy" updates tomorrow. Until then Goodnight :-)

HLYA

Post #: 115
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:33:29 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

When I did it in my own game it was because that way the Hungarian railyards can contribute to the depots there and the shuffling to the east.

I have been following the other single track rail lines throughout the game. Even a minor contribution should help so supply doesn't have to travel down a single dual line. But of course I am thinking out loud here and after a few beers.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 116
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:36:12 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

I have been following the other single track rail lines throughout the game. Even a minor contribution should help so supply doesn't have to travel down a single dual line. But of course I am thinking out loud here and after a few beers.

It isn't the depots contributing, it is the level 2+ railyards you are referencing I believe. It is all about the level 2+ railyards. If you take a map and draw interlacing circles on it of the railyard capacity you can see the locations of the most level 2+ railyard capacity. Thus you target those areas for depots, if that makes sense :)

Post #: 117
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:37:30 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Anyway, having another 24oz Sapporo and calling it a night. Can pick up later tomorrow and tell me how f'd up in the head I am for thinking what I am thinking.

Anyway, goodnight.

Post #: 118
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/29/2022 12:40:47 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Cheers to everyone and their input to this game. Thank you all for making it great!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G... - 1/30/2022 1:50:37 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Turn 2

Ground Phase

Ok! I am back from my hiatus and lets get this vehicle going, Lets go!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I will show you fear in a handful of dust. HLYA (G) vs ZOVS (R) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI