Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF Game File.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF Game File. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 10:42:29 AM   
Joseignacio

I have been following this forum and contributing to the debates on features and strategies, as well as waiting for the release of it from at least 2009 (unfortunately I cannot be sure exactly since when). So maybe my clock is not so wrong, considering that i said 15 years aprox..

My greatest dissapointment with a game in my life came when a few months from it's first projected date, suddenly we were informed that it would take many more months /some more years to be released.

I have downloaded the game at several points in the developement, just to find it unplayable and leave it after several highly frustrating attempts to play because of omnipresent bugs (then). Somehow we were unofficial beta testers I guess.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 151
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 11:40:26 AM   
Joseignacio

deleted

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 5/13/2021 11:51:03 AM >

Post #: 152
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 12:40:24 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Does that contradict any of the previous statements?

I have bought the game in the first batch that came to the market, with transport and taxes it costed me about 200€. and it didn't work well even in solitaire (which for 99% for people is not worth playing but anyway...).

After what? 15 years, the game seems to work in solitaire but not in Netplay, most people who play in a group use diverse systems to share screen et al, to be able to play. Even with this, the AS (Artificial Stupidity) keeps sending my resources through lame routes even though I correct it once and again; some resources are not credited, like recently the NEI resources to Japan, and I need like 5 or 10 convoys more to be able to get the resouces than I should need, to compensate the errors of the program. Extra convoys which are more prey for enemy subs , giving sometimes an extra bonus because of becoming more than 10, and always a higher number of ships, which means higher values of losses in the table.

Sometimes we get the game hanged like it did recently with something that was supposed to be solved but fails sometimes, the ships AA fire; that not counting on MIL that dont come up like the Nanking (which was later adressed), partisans that cannot be killed and can stack with enemies, or desync problems due to Matrix's online platform, which kicks us from time to time, or the game simply hanging because one of the computers believe one side has one CAP to do and the other doesn't think so, so the game doesn't progress.

When I reported this last one and asked whether someone was checking netplay errors after there had been no comments at least in the netplay Tech support forum for two weeks I got a message from a (I think) betatester, and the answer I got is "sorry to say that there are game stopping bugs in netplay. cant tell you when they will be fixed." which looks suspiciously similar to "sh*t happens, shut up and man", although maybe I am guessing too much here, but honestly that's how I felt then.

This system is retro-feeding, the worst it works in netplay the more people who plays it in the solitaire and sends screen through TeamViewer and similar. Apart from not being theoretically necessary if the game worked right, this brings security risks for the computers connected. And the less people plays netplay the less reports come and less attention is paid by the Tech Support. So the less netplay improves.

After 15 years more or less, I thought something more could come from this, not an AI, not all the scenarios, not the optionals, not a 5 or 7 players game, but at least a good netplay system for 2.

Now I believe all the effort seems to be concentrated in AI for the game (not only conv), but I have no faith in it after seeing that I order the computer for the 10th time how to carry the resources (routes drawn by me in a paper just to make sure) with more than enough convoys and the computer rejects it for the 10th time...after doing all this following the book and video tutorial sequencies. I cannot hope too much of the general AI in year 2050 when it comes out.

I am a fan of the board game, have recommended MWIF to my mates and in the forums, where everybody told me how naive I was for believing in this project, and I am finally coming to see that they were right.

Some people, old fans of the board game and newcomers have both fallen in love with it cause it is better than nothing and allows them to play their favourite game with a distant opponent... somehow.

For me, who was here from the beginning it is a list of dissapointments and only now some happiness that goes away soon, after seeing how after more than a decade of difficult birth, the baby is left crying with wet diapers, in order to make a new child.

I am not complaining on Steve, I know he tries to be fair and does his best, but maybe this project was too much for just one person in the first place.

And some things I believe are just a matter of pride and could be easily solved, like accepting that the Artificial Dumbness cannot manage convoys and letting the user decide which convoy carries what where. But alas... here we are.

Is it artificial dumbness or player dumbness? I said before, and I say again: apart from 1 minor bug regarding the lending of build points by an active and hostile Vichy and a cosmetic one found by mr. Warspite, there are no bugs in production planning that I'm aware of.
But there is of course, the inability of players to understand the right way to get things done in the game. It's not simple, it's pretty difficult to get it right.

If you can't get it right, do it like Mr. Warspite. Post a gamesave in here and let other players give you tips and tricks on production planning.
The problem is partially the program which is written out of a certain way of thinking which isn't easy to understand. But that doesn't mean the program is wrong. It is the way players approach it. It takes a different way of thinking and that's not easy to grasp. And believe me, it cost me an awful lot of time to accept that different thinking.

To be honest: I'm a bit troubled by the fact that you keep posting this issue again and again without giving others who got the program to work for them the opportunity to help you.

Finally: I agree with what you say about netplay bugs. Problem is: other players cannot check on those bugs. Only Steve can do so because we can't load other peoples netplay games.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 5/13/2021 12:42:06 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 153
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 1:31:12 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

Does that contradict any of the previous statements?

I have bought the game in the first batch that came to the market, with transport and taxes it costed me about 200€. and it didn't work well even in solitaire (which for 99% for people is not worth playing but anyway...).

After what? 15 years, the game seems to work in solitaire but not in Netplay, most people who play in a group use diverse systems to share screen et al, to be able to play. Even with this, the AS (Artificial Stupidity) keeps sending my resources through lame routes even though I correct it once and again; some resources are not credited, like recently the NEI resources to Japan, and I need like 5 or 10 convoys more to be able to get the resouces than I should need, to compensate the errors of the program. Extra convoys which are more prey for enemy subs , giving sometimes an extra bonus because of becoming more than 10, and always a higher number of ships, which means higher values of losses in the table.

Sometimes we get the game hanged like it did recently with something that was supposed to be solved but fails sometimes, the ships AA fire; that not counting on MIL that dont come up like the Nanking (which was later adressed), partisans that cannot be killed and can stack with enemies, or desync problems due to Matrix's online platform, which kicks us from time to time, or the game simply hanging because one of the computers believe one side has one CAP to do and the other doesn't think so, so the game doesn't progress.

When I reported this last one and asked whether someone was checking netplay errors after there had been no comments at least in the netplay Tech support forum for two weeks I got a message from a (I think) betatester, and the answer I got is "sorry to say that there are game stopping bugs in netplay. cant tell you when they will be fixed." which looks suspiciously similar to "sh*t happens, shut up and man", although maybe I am guessing too much here, but honestly that's how I felt then.

This system is retro-feeding, the worst it works in netplay the more people who plays it in the solitaire and sends screen through TeamViewer and similar. Apart from not being theoretically necessary if the game worked right, this brings security risks for the computers connected. And the less people plays netplay the less reports come and less attention is paid by the Tech Support. So the less netplay improves.

After 15 years more or less, I thought something more could come from this, not an AI, not all the scenarios, not the optionals, not a 5 or 7 players game, but at least a good netplay system for 2.

Now I believe all the effort seems to be concentrated in AI for the game (not only conv), but I have no faith in it after seeing that I order the computer for the 10th time how to carry the resources (routes drawn by me in a paper just to make sure) with more than enough convoys and the computer rejects it for the 10th time...after doing all this following the book and video tutorial sequencies. I cannot hope too much of the general AI in year 2050 when it comes out.

I am a fan of the board game, have recommended MWIF to my mates and in the forums, where everybody told me how naive I was for believing in this project, and I am finally coming to see that they were right.

Some people, old fans of the board game and newcomers have both fallen in love with it cause it is better than nothing and allows them to play their favourite game with a distant opponent... somehow.

For me, who was here from the beginning it is a list of dissapointments and only now some happiness that goes away soon, after seeing how after more than a decade of difficult birth, the baby is left crying with wet diapers, in order to make a new child.

I am not complaining on Steve, I know he tries to be fair and does his best, but maybe this project was too much for just one person in the first place.

And some things I believe are just a matter of pride and could be easily solved, like accepting that the Artificial Dumbness cannot manage convoys and letting the user decide which convoy carries what where. But alas... here we are.

Is it artificial dumbness or player dumbness? I said before, and I say again: apart from 1 minor bug regarding the lending of build points by an active and hostile Vichy and a cosmetic one found by mr. Warspite, there are no bugs in production planning that I'm aware of.
But there is of course, the inability of players to understand the right way to get things done in the game. It's not simple, it's pretty difficult to get it right.

If you can't get it right, do it like Mr. Warspite. Post a gamesave in here and let other players give you tips and tricks on production planning.
The problem is partially the program which is written out of a certain way of thinking which isn't easy to understand. But that doesn't mean the program is wrong. It is the way players approach it. It takes a different way of thinking and that's not easy to grasp. And believe me, it cost me an awful lot of time to accept that different thinking.

To be honest: I'm a bit troubled by the fact that you keep posting this issue again and again without giving others who got the program to work for them the opportunity to help you.

Finally: I agree with what you say about netplay bugs. Problem is: other players cannot check on those bugs. Only Steve can do so because we can't load other peoples netplay games.

Thank for your nice words, I hadn't allowed to the possibility that I am stupid, maybe because I have had successful career with a degree in Economics, Business Admninistration and Master in Finance among other achievements, working for decades for a multinational firm in an according level, I am also reasonably proficient in English and speak some of other languages, I have been dealing with computers since they reached the public, starting with a Dragon, a model that loaded from a cassette, so I am not more computer iliterate than the average Joe.

That means I never imagined that, after reading the chapter relative, and seeing the videos several times, practicing in sessions of more than 40 minutes each how to organize the CW convoys, I have not been able to do it. Neither me, nor my two mates in both games I am playing. But, hey, maybe we all are retards.

This thread was precisely started to be able to deal with several problems with this game, mainly this one. In the previous page you can see people who is still insatisfied by how this "works", and those are yesterday's posts. No problem, we must be all retards.

And that said (just in case, I was being ironic when saying we all must be retards), even if the program works according to the wishes of the programmer, I think that a Game, not a NASA Vessel Control System, should be easy and intuitive. And obviously it is Not.

I have considered Warspite's chain of posts as a way to whiten the convoy and Production system that I had enough evidence to know it's black, that's why I didnt take part in it, to try for the umpteenth time to fit a square piece in a round hole. I have lost more than 20 hours seeing videos and trying to follow them and I was weary, that's the reason I didn't follow that thread. And I am not accusing Warspite of anything, just in case.

For me the fact that it is a pain in the ass to direct the Artificial Dumbness to the desired parameters is already a defect in a game, but I still have the doubt that it can be done at all.

Same as you are getting tired of hear my ranting, I am getting tired of excuses for what I believe inexcusable, so I will open a thread and see, since you recommend so:

1 If it is possible to carry the resources that I want where I want with the number and position of convoys that I pretend, and that would be enough in the board game.

2 How complicated is this to achieve for a player (or if it needs to be done by editing the files)

and it won't be a difficult display. No need to worry about Asia.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 5/13/2021 1:41:05 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 154
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 4:37:10 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

I have been following this forum and contributing to the debates on features and strategies, as well as waiting for the release of it from at least 2009 (unfortunately I cannot be sure exactly since when). So maybe my clock is not so wrong, considering that i said 15 years aprox..

My greatest dissapointment with a game in my life came when a few months from it's first projected date, suddenly we were informed that it would take many more months /some more years to be released.

I have downloaded the game at several points in the developement, just to find it unplayable and leave it after several highly frustrating attempts to play because of omnipresent bugs (then). Somehow we were unofficial beta testers I guess.

That's all well and good. Your dedication is commendable. I became a playtester in 2007. But what I am saying is that you are providing a false narrative in terms of how long the game should have had to fix issues. No game should be dissed for time spent in development. Indeed for most games no one knows the time period from inception to release. So it should not be claimed that issues have extended over 15 years when it released 7 and one half years ago.

Nor should the developer that undertook to bring a niche game to market in 2003 (I think it was) be insulted by using preciously unfunny redefinitions of the terminology. This game was not the output of a production studio with a budget of millions.

It surprises me the developer continues to plug away at improving the game after this much time. Clearly he has quite a thick skin when it comes to some of the comments on this forum.

It is just a game after all...

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 5/13/2021 4:47:39 PM >

Paul

Post #: 155
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/13/2021 10:06:38 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

That's all well and good. Your dedication is commendable. I became a playtester in 2007. But what I am saying is that you are providing a false narrative in terms of how long the game should have had to fix issues. No game should be dissed for time spent in development. Indeed for most games no one knows the time period from inception to release. So it should not be claimed that issues have extended over 15 years when it released 7 and one half years ago.

Nor should the developer that undertook to bring a niche game to market in 2003 (I think it was) be insulted by using preciously unfunny redefinitions of the terminology. This game was not the output of a production studio with a budget of millions.

It surprises me the developer continues to plug away at improving the game after this much time. Clearly he has quite a thick skin when it comes to some of the comments on this forum.

It is just a game after all...

Have I insulted the developer? Why, I had not realized it... Saying he does his best and tries to be fair is an insult? Wow.

So, an Artificial Intelligence which does not show intelligence should not be called Arificial Dumbness...

And yes, the developer has a level of compromise some others obviously cannot match.

Post #: 156
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/14/2021 2:56:01 AM   
paulderynck

Your posts are artificially sincere.

Paul

Post #: 157
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/14/2021 4:38:43 AM   
craigbear

Is this the right thread for this? I keep seeing new posts in a thread I am interested in, and they are not exactly relevant.

Post #: 158
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/14/2021 6:58:58 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Your posts are artificially sincere.

I dont have any interest in your biased opinions on my posts.

For me, this is over, i have already explained myself and I don't have time nor feel like any public kid's quarrels.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 5/14/2021 7:02:34 AM >

Post #: 159
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 5/14/2021 2:16:34 PM   
Orm

Could this thread be dedicated to its original purpose? Please.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 160
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 6/1/2021 7:01:00 AM   
mldtchdog

Not sure if this has been covered by anyone fully but what I have figured out for some of the variables for the units.

For example,

XII Inf,79,0,1936
0,1831,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
(Historical description)
-1,UndoData

This is the German XII Infantry Corps first available in 1936. This particular unit is in the buildable Force Pool. I know this by the combination of the YES placement (-1) and the value of the 7th field (16384).

so what do the fields mean? what I have figured out so far.

0,1831,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T ;value of 7th field

A=unknown
B=unit ID #
C=Name Extension (ex. IL-2++Strum-+ovick)
D=unknown
E=on Map ;0
F=can be Setup on map ;4096
G=Reserve Pool ;6144
H=Build Spiral ;10240
I=Construction Pool ;12288
J=Repair Pool ;14336
K=unknown
L=Available Force Pool ;16384
M=Future Force Pool ;18432
N=unknown
O=unknown
P=unknown
Q=Conquered ;26624
R=unknown
S=Not Included ;30720
T=Turn arrival (0=Jan/Feb,1=Mar/Apr, ect.)

So from the example I could move the XII Inf to the sprial to arrive any turn I want simply by editing so...

XII Inf,79,0,1936
0,1831,,0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,4
(Historical description)
-1,UndoData

Now the XII Inf will arrive as a reinforcement next Oct/Nov

EDITITED for Disclaimer:
Vaules figured out at New Game stage

< Message edited by mldtchdog -- 6/1/2021 8:00:10 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 161
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 6/1/2021 7:42:05 AM   
mldtchdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Two more questions for markb50k or anyone else who wishes to answer. 1 easy and 1 hard, I assume. I'll ask the easy one first.

(1) Where can I find which countries are axis and which are allied. I guess, specifically I'm asking how can I determine which side (if any) the minors are aligned?

Its in the Section that call National Relations

-1,0,-1,0
-1,CSet
0,0,-1,-1
3,3,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,0,1,1,0,2,1,2,1,1,1,3,0,1,3,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,2,0,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,1,1,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,2,2,2,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,2,1,0,0,1,0,2,2,2,0,1,2,2,3,2,2,1,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,2,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,0,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0

0=War, 1=Neutral, 2=Aligned 3=Force Pool

So for the Commonwealth,
Australia is Force Pool, New Zeeland is Force Pool, Papua, New Guinea is Neutral, Solomon Islands are Neutral, ect. Count 80 digits and you will find a 0 for Germany (remember that Australia is zero).

To change the relation you also have to change the target nation.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 162
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 6/14/2021 12:05:31 AM   
CL55AMG

Adding US-Italian trade agreement

Save the game at the start of the US setup phase of the Global War scenario.
Edit the save game.
There is a trade agreement count and a list of trade agreements.
Count at line 9777
The trade agreement list starts at line 9959. Insert the two additional lines at the end of the list before line 9974.
I made the agreement temporary since the game engine cannot enforce the agreement.

-1,CSet
0,FactoryList
0,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
0,FactoryList
0,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
-1,-1
2,0,0,0,0,0,79,51,-1,0,0
0,0,1,0,0,0,100,79,-1,0,0
0,1,1,0,0,0,120,80,-1,0,0
1,0,0,0,0,0,49,11,-1,0,0
0,2,2,0,0,0,78,201,-1,0,0
0,2,2,0,0,0,78,49,-1,0,0
0,1,1,0,0,0,68,201,-1,0,0
0,2,2,0,0,0,101,79,-1,0,0
0,1,1,0,0,0,101,89,-1,0,0
0,0,3,0,0,0,87,79,-1,0,0
0,0,1,0,0,0,103,79,-1,0,0
0,2,4,0,0,0,11,49,-1,0,0
0,2,7,0,0,0,51,79,-1,0,0
0,3,3,0,0,0,34,201,-1,0,0
0,3,3,0,0,0,34,11,-1,0,0
0,1,3,0,0,0,11,89,-1,0,1
1,0,0,0,0,0,89,11,-1,0,1

4,1939,3,1945,0,0,0,12,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-1,12,0,-1,0

Italy-USA
The USA and Italy start the game with an agreement in place to lend lease 1
Italian build point to the USA for 3 US resources (TiF option 30: 1 of them
must be oil) to Italy, each turn.
This trade agreement ends immediately when either:
(a) the USA or Italy become active (see 9.1), or
(b) US entry option 34 (see 13.3.2) has been chosen.
From that moment on, both the USA and Italy may use their resources or build
point themselves.
While this agreement is in effect, and to avoid any penalty, the USA must have
enough convoy points in the sea areas from the USA to a sea area adjacent to
the Western Mediterranean sea area to transport the resources and build point.
Similarly, Italy may have enough convoy points in the Western Mediterranean
and the Italian coast sea areas to transport the resources and build point. If
during production (see 13.6), Italy has met her obligation and the US has not
met its then:
• the USA loses the 3 resources, and does not get its promised build point
that turn, which Italy may use herself; and
• Italy must randomly remove 1 entry marker from the Ge/It entry pool
(returning it to the common entry pool). See 13.3.3 if there aren’t any US
entry markers to remove.
If Italy does not meet her obligation then both sides may use their promised
resources or build point themselves this turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CL55AMG -- 6/14/2021 12:10:05 AM >

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 163
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/17/2021 2:34:33 PM   
Joseignacio

After patching the latest update, some processes that had happened one or more turns ago, ocurred again. There was a new conquer of NEI by Japan and a new anexation of ICeland, and so on.

Problem is that my mate had bought (after the first conquer) a NEI Terr and he is very pissed offf, and although it makes me shiver to have to do this "programming-like" thingy, I want to give a try.

Can somebody tell me how to identify the NEI Terr, so I can bring it back to game?

(in reply to CL55AMG)
Post #: 164
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/17/2021 4:21:20 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

After patching the latest update, some processes that had happened one or more turns ago, ocurred again. There was a new conquer of NEI by Japan and a new anexation of ICeland, and so on.

Problem is that my mate had bought (after the first conquer) a NEI Terr and he is very pissed offf, and although it makes me shiver to have to do this "programming-like" thingy, I want to give a try.

Can somebody tell me how to identify the NEI Terr, so I can bring it back to game?
Is your game mode solitary?

If so, if you attach a copy of your game file I think we (me or somebody) else can show you how to do this.

If not, we still may still be able to show you but possibly not as certain wrt/your particular situation.

Ronnie

Post #: 165
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/18/2021 12:50:46 AM   
Joseignacio

No, it's a netgame.

I have gone through your posts and maybe I could do it, it's just I dont know how to find the code for that (or other unit). Although I am not very sure to be true.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 166
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/18/2021 2:17:46 AM   
paulderynck

Should be able to use beta tools to put that unit in the next turn's reinforcements. But need a saved game file.

Paul

Post #: 167
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/24/2021 10:51:16 AM   
Joseignacio

Here it comes, thanks in advance.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 168
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/24/2021 11:40:08 PM   
paulderynck

I see your game file indicates debug at the top. Do you have a Debug menu at the top when you launch the game? The first item under it is Move/Place Units.

Anyway I used that feature and found the NEI Territorial in Force Pools and moved it to Batavia. The problem is that it still has Dutch colors, not Japanese. So I don't think that change will work. More likely, it will really confuse the program. I can post it if you like, but it's probably not worth the effort.

There should be a Japanese colored NEI Territorial in the Japanese force pool, but there isn't. when did the conquest happen?

BTW, even if you don't have a working debug menu, you can use CTRL-Q to examine all the pools in the game.

If that Territorial shows up in the Japanese force pool with Japanese colors later in the game, then using Move/Place Units should work to put it on the map at zero production cost.

Paul

Post #: 169
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 9/24/2021 11:59:03 PM   
Joseignacio

Well, to be true I dont exactly know what a debug menu is. I know it's some kind of feature for computer people to edit or something.

So, if I have it I dont know why or what for. I mean, one of the versions of the game that we have gone through (not sure if the current one) had that name "debug" and that's all I know.According to what you say it seems I dont have that menu to move/place units. Never saw it at least.

We have been playing very few lately and there has been a stop for August holidays. So I cannot be sure but I think the surrender of NEI was like 2 turns ago, maybe 1 to 3 turns ago. Then my opponent decided to go to the next patch ( latest I believe) I did too but then at the end of that last turn NEI was conquered again and other events that had happened earlier, happened again, I remember USA occupation of Greenland (and N. Ireland?), which had also happened like 2 turns earlier.

When all that happened, the NEI Terr that tha JA had built after the first conquer, dissapeared.

OK, tomorrow we play, I will post something afterwards.

Post #: 170
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/4/2021 11:41:00 AM   
Joseignacio

Here is our latest save.

It would be nice if you can deploy that NEI TERR, we had another bug, where my NAV killed two CONV in the Baltic, only that they did not die for MWIF and had to be returned to Kiel as aborted. If you could delete the couple of finnish conv in Kiel as well...

I wanted to post that other bug but I got no save of the sea battle I believe. I have previous to the searchs but I cannot remember the rolls (although they were obviously very one sided to make that damage with a nav of 1 factor).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/4/2021 11:43:04 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/7/2021 2:25:16 AM   
gw15

Paul,
I seem to remember there is a way to change several of the parameters to switch a file from netplay to solitaire and back again. Once a player switches to solitaire and "adjuste" stuff then change the paramaters back to net play and THEN send the files back to your opponent and he can use that file to play.
Peter and I will send our file to the other on rare occasions when our files get out of synch.
Open the game file with Notepad:
4.2.2.10 (Debug),10,2
gw15,Centuur,
Jul/Aug 1940,3,Declare War,On Major Powers,Commonwealth,France,USSR,
|Thursday, Jul 1, 2021 2:56 pm|
1324637403,1657215,2,0,0,Mine,|D:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Scenarios\Global War\Saved Games\AutoSave\

There are many lines of code after the last line above but I only show the first 5 lines of the file. On the last line the "...,2,0,0,Mine,..." I can't remember but one of those 3 numbers can be changed to make it solitaire.

I may have this all wrong but I believe it has been done before.
Peter - does this "ring a bell" in your memory?

Post #: 172
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/7/2021 3:37:39 AM   
ssiviour

quote:

ORIGINAL: gw15

Paul,
I seem to remember there is a way to change several of the parameters to switch a file from netplay to solitaire and back again. Once a player switches to solitaire and "adjuste" stuff then change the paramaters back to net play and THEN send the files back to your opponent and he can use that file to play.
Peter and I will send our file to the other on rare occasions when our files get out of synch.
4.2.2.10 (Debug),10,2
gw15,Centuur,
1324637403,1657215,2,0,0,Mine,|D:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Scenarios\Global War\Saved Games\AutoSave\

There are many lines of code after the last line above but I only show the first 5 lines of the file. On the last line the "...,2,0,0,Mine,..." I can't remember but one of those 3 numbers can be changed to make it solitaire.

On the very top row, the very last number designates the mode

2 is Netplay 1 is Head to Head and 0 is solitaire

I find changing the file from Netplay to H2H to be more stable, but there are some difficulties you encounter that only as a solitaire game you can advance past

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 173
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/7/2021 2:31:47 PM   
Joseignacio

We are playing right now. I will upload the last version in like 3 hours or less, in case the amendments can be made.

(in reply to ssiviour)
Post #: 174
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/7/2021 5:50:45 PM   
Joseignacio

We were not able to effectively play due to several game stopping bugs in the new hotpatch, so the last version is the one already uploaded.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/8/2021 8:44:45 AM >

Post #: 175
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 10/8/2021 8:44:22 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: ssiviour

quote:

ORIGINAL: gw15

Paul,
4.2.2.10 (Debug),10,2
gw15,Centuur,

On the very top row, the very last number designates the mode

2 is Netplay 1 is Head to Head and 0 is solitaire

I find changing the file from Netplay to H2H to be more stable, but there are some difficulties you encounter that only as a solitaire game you can advance past

In this case I was able to open the game in "Review" mode, make changes with the debug tool and then save the game. To ensure the change "took", I then opened the game in "Review" mode again and saw the added unit. The file could then be sent back for both players to use.

So I did not have to mess around with changing the game from Netplay to Solitaire (or H2H) and then back to NetPlay.

Edit: Upon further thought however, allowing a Netplay game in Review mode to be altered and then saved is probably not a really good idea.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 10/8/2021 8:48:19 PM >

Paul

(in reply to ssiviour)
Post #: 176
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 11/16/2021 11:03:12 PM   
craigbear

I am trying to figure out how to add a resource/BP without simply adding it to already existing chits. Dur to the proclivities of the convoy system, USSR lost 5 BP that should have arrived there. I saved a BP and can easily add 5 extra to that existing BP with some editing; however, only one BP of the saved BP can be spent next turn according to the rules... this could be critical to USSR well being. I wish to place BP directly in other cities.

To do so, I first copied the Vlad BP entry and pasted it after the last resource entry, and changed the amount to 256 (green) to reflect 1 BP. I then changed the hex (64,161 (VLad)), 32929, to the other city hex (56,163), 28835, (in red). Finally, I noticed that the resources seem to have a step number (blue)... I changed this to the number of the last listing I could find in this slot (4358). Unfortunately, the game would not open, so I had to restore my saved/unedited copy.

-1,UndoData
53,4344,,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

So did I miss something, or is it not possible without increasing and an already existing BP.

Post #: 177
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 11/17/2021 3:43:18 AM   
paulderynck

It can be done with beta tools. Send a game file and which cities to place them.

Paul

(in reply to craigbear)
Post #: 178
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 11/18/2021 2:21:33 AM   
craigbear

Thanks for the offer... not a serious enough problem to bother someone else with. I was simply wondering if it was possible to do it myself, and you answered it succinctly. Also, turns out that 3 BP were usable, not 1 at a time. I must have misread the rules on that.

Post #: 179
RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF G... - 1/30/2022 5:49:26 AM   
craigbear

I foolishly saved a Chinese BP in Sian, and now it has become Russian and is unusable. I even have tried to save another Chinese BP in another city, and get the opportunity to move the BP during the BP save phase, but an error comes up when I try to pick the BP up.

I recall somewhere that this has been dealt with by modding, but I cannot seem to find the entry and am uncertain of the search terms needed. Does anyone recall how I can change the BP to Chinese owned, and move it to a nationalist city?

I know it is easy enough to change 1 BP to 2 in the Nationalist city, but what do I do about the unusable one in Sian? I suppose if Japan eventually captures it, they can voluntarily destroy it, but that lacks elegance.

Can anyone point me the way?

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF Game File. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI