Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2022 8:26:18 AM   
Nightfire

Is the "ingame galaxy encyclopedia" available for reading as an internet accessible online PDF?

Thanks - Nightfire

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 331
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/8/2022 12:38:04 PM   
zgrssd

There is a PDF manual in the works. Erik Rutins is working on it right now.

(in reply to Nightfire)
Post #: 332
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/9/2022 4:59:18 PM   
James80

Could it be that the manual is the "coming soon Diary #7"?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 333
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/9/2022 11:01:59 PM   
Galaxy227

DW2 seriously does not need a manual. The galactopedia was already more than enough to get a general understanding of the game, and the new tutorials will only make the lives of new players that much easier. And I haven't even mentioned automation...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 334
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 2:28:49 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

DW2 seriously does not need a manual. The galactopedia was already more than enough to get a general understanding of the game, and the new tutorials will only make the lives of new players that much easier. And I haven't even mentioned automation...

Thinking about it a bit, I totally agree with that. I know something felt off about the whole manual idea.

From every angle I look at it, the Galactopedia will be:
- better ordered
- easier to search
- always current on values (because it can extract them from the gamefiles)
- be always there while you play, no tabbing
- should always contain any information anyway

The only thing is that maybe you want to make sure people do not have to start the game to access it. They might be on another computer when they want to look something up.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 335
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 3:28:23 AM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The only thing is that maybe you want to make sure people do not have to start the game to access it. They might be on another computer when they want to look something up.

Surely it is possible to make a website that does this.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 336
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 3:50:38 AM   
James80

What would you guess is the announced dev diary Nr. 7?

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 337
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 5:11:03 AM   
Mightymaster

quote:

ORIGINAL: James80

What would you guess is the announced dev diary Nr. 7?

I think there will be no Dev diary 7. They are concentrating fully on fixing things so close before launch

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 338
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 5:36:21 AM   
James80

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mightymaster
I think there will be no Dev diary 7. They are concentrating fully on fixing things so close before launch

Look here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5131956

(in reply to Mightymaster)
Post #: 339
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 6:39:29 AM   
Mightymaster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mightymaster

Look here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5131956

Edmon on Steam replied this:
The game will release in a month from now, so all focus is on getting the game as polished as possible before launch. Hence, limited updates from us at this time.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 340
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 7:51:20 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

Why do we need a dev diary with all the Streams of the game now floating around out there... seems a bit superfluous in my opinion.

(in reply to Mightymaster)
Post #: 341
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 9:30:29 AM   
James80

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

Why do we need a dev diary with all the Streams of the game now floating around out there... seems a bit superfluous in my opinion.

It was announced therefore I have asked - I don't know why Erik have said there will be a seventh dev diary although "streams floating around".

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 342
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 9:35:15 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

There probably will at some point... I just think it is not really needed anymore to continue with them, especially when that time probably can be better spent elsewhere.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 343
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 10:09:08 AM   
Pocus

Someone remind me how research location bonuses remain of interest even if you have many? Smth I disliked in DW1 was that only the top one was, and the rest was useless, but I think it has been changed to something smarter?

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 344
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 10:33:13 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Someone remind me how research location bonuses remain of interest even if you have many? Smth I disliked in DW1 was that only the top one was, and the rest was useless, but I think it has been changed to something smarter?

1. Research bonsue are split over a lot more areas. One tech tree, but like 20+ categories
2. They do add now.
3. You need enough total bonus in one area to unlock higher tech. However "General Research" type bonuses count for this.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 345
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 12:21:45 PM   
Pocus

Thanks. About (2) do they add linearly? I have some reservations if yes, as it could lead to easy soft locking on (3) depending on the requirements of each tech and your luck or lack of it.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 346
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 12:27:31 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Thanks. About (2) do they add linearly? I have some reservations if yes, as it could lead to easy soft locking on (3) depending on the requirements of each tech and your luck or lack of it.

Yes... I'm pretty sure it is linear and I also think that it is not an optimal way to do it. There probably should be some diminishing return for every site that you get with the same type of bonus.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 347
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 12:41:02 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

I am 90% sure they add lineary. At the very least, the general science bonus does.

However it is no realy an issue. Consider that getting high values is a goal of the game. It is how you unlock higher Tiers. I think battleship needed like 45% in construction to even be researchable*.
And given that there are now ~20 instead of 3 categories, there is a lot more split.

You will more likely find yourself bottlenecked by lack of bonus, then oerflowing with it.

*Funny enough, random research tree can make it prerequisite free. But is still a huge tech, taking decades to reserach with a starting science budget.
And needing a Economy that old to even deploy a handfull of ships.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/10/2022 12:43:43 PM >

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 348
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 2:24:41 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

If it did not add linear directly it probably would scale better with large and small galaxies and varied amounts of starting races. That is probably where the issue lies with a linear approach.

That fact that you need the bonus is not the issue as that is just a matter of balance.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 349
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 3:45:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Allenthalben
Hello all, good day,
I am a German fan of DW and I just watched the German preview stream linked here in the forum.
The youtuber mentioned that there will be translation of the game in different languages...
Is this true?
Is this part of the official game or will it be a chance of modding?
Thanks!

Hello Allenthalben,

At release, it looks like DW2 will be available in English, but we do want to localize it to other languages after release. The text files are externalized and some testers were working on localizations though it looks like that may not happen in time for the release.

We'd very much like to localize it into German as DW1 was quite popular in Germany.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Allenthalben)
Post #: 350
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 3:48:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I've looked several streams and I have a question. Next to the resources in the menu there is a price given. What purpose does it have? Do I have to pay for them? I thought that I payed the mining stations and the minded resources don't cost me anything then.

This is similar to DW1. The scarcity or abundance of a given resource can influence its cost. This then also influences the cost of anything built with that resource or which uses that resource (like fuel). In practice, as long as you are at peace and your economy is working and no resources are in shortage, you mostly don't worry about this, but in times of shortage or war this can cause some increased costs as your economy is disrupted.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 351
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 4:23:00 PM   
James80

Hey,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is similar to DW1. The scarcity or abundance of a given resource can influence its cost. This then also influences the cost of anything built with that resource or which uses that resource (like fuel). In practice, as long as you are at peace and your economy is working and no resources are in shortage, you mostly don't worry about this, but in times of shortage or war this can cause some increased costs as your economy is disrupted.

Thanks for coming back to it. So, if I don't have the resources on hand and I need them for building they will be instantly bought? If so: I think I have seen independent traders in the game. What is their purpose then?

Best regards,

James

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 352
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 4:41:07 PM   
zgrssd

All resources are retrieved, collected and owned by the private economy.
You just buy them from them.
They try to keep stocks, especially at spaceports.

They send out frighters and miners out to fill the goals. And indy traders (from indy colonies) can also transprot stuff. I think you start at "Limited Free Trade" with them by default.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 353
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 4:43:41 PM   
James80

quote:

They send out frighters and miners out to fill the goals. And indy traders (from indy colonies) can also transprot stuff. I think you start at "Limited Free Trade" with them by default.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, I thought the reserves in stock belong to the state. A mental lapse of mine

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 354
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 4:49:43 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, I thought the reserves in stock belong to the state. A mental lapse of mine

I am only 90% sure that is how it works, as I never saw it stated. But it is the tone thing that would make sense out of the whole buying system.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 355
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 5:28:39 PM   
Tank Commander_MatrixForum

I see we now have the early order option at a fixed price which I assume is the DX version and an option to upgrade to the physical version which i assume is the ST version??

Is there no CL or HB version option ? Are there plans for this?
It would be disappointing to go ST version then CL / HB to come out at a later date. Please confirm

3 write-offs but still a Tank Commander

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 356
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 5:36:29 PM   
zgrssd

I do not think tehre is a "Physial" version. The cloest to getting physical is propably printing out the Handbook?
Post #: 357
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 6:49:15 PM   
Vyshka

My search didn't turn anything up, so asking here. Erik are there plans for Steam Workshop integration for modding?

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 358
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 7:00:01 PM   
Pocus

I guess my issue with hard locking research until you get a certain % bonus from various sites is that it is very much tied to your physical expansion and somehow your luck. Perhaps there are buildings or others means to get enough bonus % to unlock mid-levels and high-levels techs?
Somehow the simplification that to get to the more powerful research, you must develop wide appears to me a dangerous restriction. I would have preferred a more 'soft lock' approach where high levels techs cost exponentially more, the farther from reaching the requisite bonus % you are. At least, you are never prevented to research it, if you severely lack in the appropriate bonus, it is just not the optimal way of doing it (but sometime you might have no other choice).

To give an example, if the base cost of a tech is 900k and you need 15% in High Energy, then you would pay perhaps 1800k if you only have 10%, 3600k if you have 5% and 7200k if you have nothing. So you are greatly encouraged to find these special sites, but if you can't, then you are not prevented from researching the tech.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 359
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/10/2022 7:28:17 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

I guess my issue with hard locking research until you get a certain % bonus from various sites is that it is very much tied to your physical expansion and somehow your luck. Perhaps there are buildings or others means to get enough bonus % to unlock mid-levels and high-levels techs?
Somehow the simplification that to get to the more powerful research, you must develop wide appears to me a dangerous restriction. I would have preferred a more 'soft lock' approach where high levels techs cost exponentially more, the farther from reaching the requisite bonus % you are. At least, you are never prevented to research it, if you severely lack in the appropriate bonus, it is just not the optimal way of doing it (but sometime you might have no other choice).

To give an example, if the base cost of a tech is 900k and you need 15% in High Energy, then you would pay perhaps 1800k if you only have 10%, 3600k if you have 5% and 7200k if you have nothing. So you are greatly encouraged to find these special sites, but if you can't, then you are not prevented from researching the tech.

quote:

ppropriate bonus, it is just not the optimal way of doing it (but sometime you might have no other choice).

I have yet to see how research agreement work... but they could be a way to gain access to more bonuses without actually owning them to some degree.

But in essence it is an intended mechanic that you do want to go out and find those important resources and sometimes you have to fight for them too.

As it is a single player game then it does not have to be either fair or balanced toward the player, so sometimes you will be unlucky and have to fight for it, sometimes you will be lucky. You just will never know and that is part of the story you unfold as you play.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI