Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

China 37

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> China 37 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
China 37 - 2/13/2022 8:37:45 PM   
generalfdog

Has anyone played the China scenario much? it seems very difficult as Japan, maybe just me
Post #: 1
RE: China 37 - 2/14/2022 3:10:26 AM   
GiveWarAchance

It is very hard for me too. In the tech subforum I asked how to extend the end date so I could try to get something done but I still get stalemated while pushing to get to Changsha and Nanjing. I sometimes get to Nanjing but never Changsha cause my support shuts down when I get further south by 1939 and I can't use any units and they get wiped out easily by vicious Chinese attacks. I tried doing amphib landings near Shanghai but they immediately run out of supply and are destroyed by the Chinese fairly easily so I gave up on that. I think it is designed to be like historical where you fight your way into China partways and then get stalemated without hope. Historically Japan got down to Changsha and then were rolled back by counterattacks, so despite the pain, the designer gets credit for making it historical but seems harder cause Japan did a huge landing at Shanghai that managed to smash their way through to Nanjing but mine get wiped out at the landing area.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 2/14/2022 3:12:02 AM >

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 2
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 12:21:26 AM   
Staufenberg44

I had trouble my first time through but once you understand supply better Shanghai, and Nanking not long after, are assured. What I like about it is how it makes the Japanese player feel as they must have felt in the Senso-shi-do (Supreme War Council)--big victories and advances! But the Chinese, with their inferior armies, refuse to surrender and accept the writing on the wall: and on and on it goes and when you advance deep enough supply will really bite you in the a**.

And then all hell breaks out in the Pacific to the east as the Americans blockade you and force you to go for the oil. It's a perfect introduction to the game system. Japanese naval and amphib operations limited.

I don't like the over-rated Montgomery but his basic rules of strategic war surely stand true:

Montgomery’s rules of war

1. Don’t march on Moscow.

2. Don’t go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia.

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 3
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 2:14:33 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Staufenberg, were you able to do an amphib landing and succeed? The instructions say it is necessary to capture far away ports the overland attack cannot reach. I can't do it cause my units stats dwindle to 1 almost immediately due to no supply even if I use the fleet to give them a tiny supply but my units have to be on the beach to get the tiny supply from the ships so they waste moves to get there and then can't attack before the Chinese infantry swarm them and chisel them down until my units are all wiped out. Do you land the HQ as well? I think it would block one beach hex so the infantry can't get support from the ships so it would hasten their demise. Maybe I am missing out on something completely. Please help.

(in reply to Staufenberg44)
Post #: 4
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 2:17:58 AM   
GiveWarAchance

....and about Monty. I bet if he was offered the supreme commander position of allied forces attacking the soviets in 1945, he would have immediately forgotten his own rules and squealed & danced with joy similar to these kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrf3Dk0ZLFU

Notice the kid with laptop let out one brief scream and then was glued to his laptop..... he was playing Warplan Pacific.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 2/15/2022 2:19:18 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 2:26:54 AM   
Staufenberg44

You can land right next to Shanghai on the partial land tile and on either side as well. Fleet supply can keep you up to full strength if you remain coastal, that's all. Main fleet next to Shanghai when you attack it for bombardment support. the HQ can be in a ship offshore to command and also use as resupply for land unit(s). Also use oilers if available to give the fleet max strength.

Post #: 6
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 2:46:52 AM   
Staufenberg44

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

....and about Monty. I bet if he was offered the supreme commander position of allied forces attacking the soviets in 1945, he would have immediately forgotten his own rules and squealed & danced with joy similar to these kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrf3Dk0ZLFU

Notice the kid with laptop let out one brief scream and then was glued to his laptop..... he was playing Warplan Pacific.

Cute. But ich don't think so. He was cautious to the Nth degree and those Soviet tank armies, trained for years by the GERMANS, would have made short work of him. I really see him as a poseur who liked attritional battles when he had a huge advantage in numbers. Rommel earlier on would have minced him. Auchinlech was a far better commander.

Cute vid tho, made me happy. :)

Post #: 7
RE: China 37 - 2/15/2022 3:10:32 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Who is itch? Most probably you are right about the Soviets able to steamroll the allies if they tried to continue Germany's work of fighting the Bolsheviks. The Soviets certainly were well-trained by Germany, and it is amazing how they were dozens of times stronger at the end of WW2 than when Germany first invaded. Years of terrifically violent warfare only made the Soviets stronger.

(in reply to Staufenberg44)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> China 37 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI