Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/5/2022 10:43:33 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

As I am going through the list (I still don't quite grasp the concept of the four types of restricts, but gather I must spend PP to change the HQ at one point to move them to other bases), I have come to Australian and Adelaide and the spreadsheet instructions say to move the '6th Australian Brigade' but I see the 3rd Australian Bde and the 6th Aus Cav Bde.

So are the instructions for the 6th Aus Cav Bde or the 3rd Aus Inf Bde?

I've noticed in the past that there are discrepancies in Australian unit locations in the Kull spreadsheet. The 6th Australian Brigade (ID #6032) actually starts the unmodded campaign game in the Australian town of Portsea near Melbourne. Not Adelaide. So, basically if you run into a discrepancy just use Search all ground units (hotkey G) to find the unit and then move it according to the spreadsheet.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 391
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/5/2022 10:43:51 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

+1 lol

We always send the cav first!

Scouts Out!

LLMF

DAT's right!

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 392
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/5/2022 11:42:19 PM   
Zovs

Thanks @ platoonist!

😂and thanks @ RangerJoe

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 393
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/6/2022 12:35:23 AM   
RangerJoe

Remember that you can start an AAR and get some assistance and ideas there. The one thing that you want to avoid as Allies is battles like these:

Ground combat at Nanyang (85,45)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 19541 troops, 290 guns, 841 vehicles, Assault Value = 774

Defending force 24893 troops, 109 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 89

Japanese adjusted assault: 501

Allied adjusted defense: 76

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Nanyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
57 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
18119 casualties reported
Squads: 979 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1394 destroyed, 56 disabled
Engineers: 134 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 99 (96 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 6
Units destroyed 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Unfortunately, two Chinese Corps that had retreated to this base surrendered! That means that they will come back to defend Chungking.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 394
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/6/2022 1:37:00 AM   
Kull

quote:

(I still don't quite grasp the concept of the four types of restricts, but gather I must spend PP to change the HQ at one point to move them to other bases)

In the context of the spreadsheet, there's only three:

1) "Unrestricted": These units are free to move anywhere. As you surmise, that's because their HQ is also unrestricted.

2) "Can buy out w/ PPs": All restricted units have the same limitation, in that you can't move them by sea nor even by air except to a limited group of bases. In this case however, you can spend "political points" to reassign these units to an unrestricted HQ. However, unless I specifically suggest that you pay the PPs to "unrestrict" them, it's just information.

3) "Fully restricted": Same as #2 except these units can NEVER be "bought out" with PPs. They will always be restricted.

8.1.1. in the manual talks about this in the context of HQs (probably where you got the "four types" from), but from the perspective of the spreadsheet I'm only talking about the units these rules apply to, and using the color codes to help you understand there's a reason why certain units can't be moved.

quote:

I have come to Australian and Adelaide and the spreadsheet instructions say to move the '6th Australian Brigade' but I see the 3rd Australian Bde and the 6th Aus Cav Bde.

Unfortunately some scenarios have different starting locations for the same units. For example, the December 8th scenario places 6th Brigade in Adelaide as the spreadsheet indicates. That's probably not the only one, but Platoonist gave the correct answer on how to find "missing" units, so please follow his advice the next time this happens.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 395
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/6/2022 2:59:08 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Unfortunately some scenarios have different starting locations for the same units. For example, the December 8th scenario places 6th Brigade in Adelaide as the spreadsheet indicates. That's probably not the only one, but Platoonist gave the correct answer on how to find "missing" units, so please follow his advice the next time this happens.

Yeah, for example there are four Australian units that start the December 8th grand campaign scenario in Broken Hill. In the December 7th scenario Broken Hill is empty and they are all elsewhere. But, if you hit the "G" key and filter by nationality they are not hard to find and are likely near a rail line ready to go.

There are a few others like that but not many.

Awesome spreadsheet by the way. I can't the imagine the hours it took to compile.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 396
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/7/2022 10:12:07 AM   
Zovs

Thanks again all. Just found another shortcut that helps the list all bases. When setting TF destination or patrol or waypoints. Setting routing and finding the exact hex is trial and error since I can’t display hex coords and only bases display them when you hover over a hex. I have to find a hex coord and manually count the hexes to find it in the sea for example.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 397
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/8/2022 2:45:08 PM   
Kull

quote:

Thanks again all. Just found another shortcut that helps the list all bases. When setting TF destination or patrol or waypoints. Setting routing and finding the exact hex is trial and error since I can’t display hex coords and only bases display them when you hover over a hex. I have to find a hex coord and manually count the hexes to find it in the sea for example.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to determine non-base hex coordinates. Happily there's nothing magical about most of the spreadsheet "recommended coordinates", and you won't go far wrong by following a few simple rules in setting your own:

1) Submarine Patrol Zones: I name each one, so use the "patrol around" button and click an ocean hex in that area. You'll get much the same result as the manual settings, and - if desired - you can always go back and tweak the individual settings later. But that will keep you from getting bogged down in sub patrol zones. It really is "no fun" to try and get them all perfect.

2) ASW TF patrols: The idea - almost always - is to set a triangular zone in which the final leg is the home port, where the patrolling ships can rest for one turn and refuel. As for the other two points in the circuit? They could be anything, but should be within your Air ASW patrol range because ASW works MUCH better when air and sea are looking at the same area. Also, the length of the "patrol path" should not exceed the endurance range of the patrolling vessels, and in fact should always be 2 hexes or so lower than the max. For example a group of patrolling YPs have a max range of 12 but the patrol zone shouldn't exceed 10. Otherwise your ASW patrol TFs will be doing a lot of "return to base and disband", which is no fun since you'll have to constantly reset them.

3) Supply/fuel/troop convoys: For the Allies, the general plan is to run your convoys through regions that are unlikely to experience Japanese SCTF raids and submarine patrols. Obviously there are certain nexus points that can't be avoided (such as convoy origin and destination ports) but in between you have a lot of options. The majority of your early war convoys (and for this purpose we'll ignore the chaos unfolding in the regions subject to direct Japanese attack) are needed to run supply and fuel from the US to Australia, and bases in between. Although many players run these convoys from San Fran and through the Hawaiian islands, the spreadsheet does not do this specifically because of the "Japanese avoidance" principle noted earlier. So almost everything is going to/from LA. And that means a diagonal path in a SW direction, with a jog toward Sydney, Australia roughly at Flint Island. This even works for supplying Pago, Suva, Noumea or any points north or south of that line. It also puts your convoys well behind the air search perimeter established at Pearl-Palmyra-Christmas-Canton-Pago-Suva-Noumea. Which means that any hostiles heading south or east of those points should be detected in time to make a pathing adjustment. And, since we're talking about "waypoints", we'll ignore convoys originating in Capetown or Aden/Abadan since their destinations are obvious and there's not much routing required.

Anyway, if you follow those simple guidelines, the process of setting waypoints - now and in the future - should be a lot less onerous and cumbersome.

< Message edited by Kull -- 1/8/2022 2:49:03 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 398
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/8/2022 5:58:44 PM   
Zovs

Kull,

Thanks again so much for that insightful and very helpful info, especially on all three of the numbered points and on waypoints, patrol zones etc.

I know I have said it before but your spreadsheet is really like a hands on tutorial of sort. I really thank you for that.

Really reading the manual front to back is not that hard and fills in a lot of the gaps, using your spreadsheet is like a hands on tool and you discover what and why things are they way they are and it makes the manual make even more sense.

My recommendations to any new folks is to take the time to read through the manual, try a small scenario but then just jump in to the campaign and use this spreadsheet as a guide and helper. You'll be rocking and rolling in no time.

Thanks a million for this and for the effort it must of took to create it.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 399
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/9/2022 11:46:14 AM   
RangerJoe

Don't forget to look at what the changes were in the updates as well.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 400
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/9/2022 12:19:30 PM   
Zovs

Yes I am reading through that but in some cases I am have DAT issues with deciphering and incorporating the change logs into my mindset lol.

What I like about WITE2s living manual is all changes are added to the living manual and can be searched by “errata”.

< Message edited by Zovs -- 1/9/2022 12:26:03 PM >

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 401
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/9/2022 6:29:58 PM   
RangerJoe

Someone had been working on an updated manual. But he quit doing so, he became banned, and he has not come back. It is unknown if he will come back . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 402
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 2/2/2022 6:23:12 PM   
Hano

Hi Kull,

I just wanted to thank you for your fabulous set up spreadsheet, even without your recommendations the base data such as arrivals dates would be worth their weight in gold.

Thank you for putting so much time and effort into producing something that will enhance my enjoyment of the game so much!

Cheers

Hano

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 403
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 2/14/2022 6:49:56 AM   
Ashcloud

I am unlucky enough not to have Excel and am trying to view the setup in any other way - all I can see is the instructions part and not the actual setup? IS there another way to view this besides having Excel? Is there any way it could be saved as another format?

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 404
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 2/14/2022 11:21:14 AM   
Evoken

There are online Excel programs where you can just upload the file and view it that way , like google docs

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 405
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 2/14/2022 11:56:40 AM   
Nomad

Libre Office will do what you want. https://www.libreoffice.org/

BTW, there are tabs at the bottom, the first tab is the instructions, there are other tabs to show the setups.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 2/14/2022 11:57:31 AM >

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 406
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 2/14/2022 3:22:18 PM   
Ashcloud

Fantastic, I have it up and running. Thank you so much.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 407
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI