Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (Soviet)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (Soviet) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/10/2022 8:05:58 PM   
Zebtucker12

I have not played VTB since closed beta but i remember the luftwaffe still being quite formidble did the yaks lure you down to a lower altitude?
Dont worry about it

Axis Bias mod developer. Xhoel Fanboy. Red army choir enthusiast.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5144537&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 121
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/10/2022 8:39:17 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebtucker12

I have not played VTB since closed beta but i remember the luftwaffe still being quite formidble did the yaks lure you down to a lower altitude?

The LW is formidable if used sparingly. In this case it had more to do with the air group itself. It is the worst fighter group I have. They took green pilots a few turns back so their experience levels were pretty bad.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebtucker12
Dont worry about it

Alright :D

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Zebtucker12)
Post #: 122
T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (... - 2/11/2022 7:41:31 AM   
xhoel

Berlin Sector, defended by Army Group Vistula and Army Group Center

The enemy has achieved a 30 mile wide penetration on the upper Oder between Stettin and Eberswalde. 9 Soviet formations have already crossed the river and with only open terrain in front of them, there is no point in trying to hold them back here. Instead, our forces have been ordered to disengage and pull back to defend the approach to Rostock. 16th Army has been tasked with this objective while the 4th Army defends the left flank to Berlin. 7th ID is to hold the Festung Stettin.

Küstrin has fallen and the Soviets have now established a bridgehead south of the city. The formations defending the the river have been ordered to hold their ground, while secondary and tertiary defensive lines are being set up to the rear. 6th Army has been tasked with the defense of Berlin and it has the right commanders for the job. Most of the arriving armored/mechanized reserves in the sector have been subordinated to its IV SS Panzer Corps and VI Latvian Corps and the army has around 800 AFVs on hand. Unfortunately 3 of their armored divisions are lacking trucks and have basically no mobility.

OKL and OKW have been evacuated to Flensburg and the Berlin garrison (defended by the XX Corps) is being reinforced as we speak. 30.000 men are already in the city and these numbers will only increase as the Soviets push closer to the capital. Enemy spearheads are now only a mere 30 miles from the city.

The brunt of the Soviet offensive has been taken by Army Group Center however. Both 9th and 11th SS Panzer Armies have taken heavy losses and pushed back substantially. A Soviet breakthrough has not occurred yet but the enemy is pressing hard on the direction of Dresden and Leipzig and also on the southern approaches to Berlin. Multiple units have been routed or have been hit so hard that they are depleted or understrength. Multiple divisions have been merged together and we have given ground to the enemy. The front line wont hold for long, but thankfully for us, the Soviets are using their armor to push towards Dresden and not Berlin.

Dresden itself has been made a city fort and is defended by 35k men. It will be the main strongpoint on the Elbe in this sector. The terrain doesnt favor the defender here as it is mostly open ground. The river line is being used as a major natural barrier to prevent a Soviet thrust to the West. The connection between Prague and Berlin needs to be maintained at all costs.

Berlin sector start of the week:

4th Army battles on the Oder:

Küstrin battle and battle for the bridgehead south of the city:

Battles in the Army Group Center sector (south):

24th Panzer Division mauled in two consequent battles:

Soviet AFV numbers show that they are suffering too. 3 Tank Heavy Corps are only fielding a total of 350 AFVs. Only 240 left after the clash with the 24th Panzer Division.

A testament to the heavy fighting in the sector: The 24th Panzer Division started the week with 150 AFVs. It now has 3 AFVs left and a TOE of only 23%.

Berlin sector after:

6th Army CoC and armored/mechanized formations:

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 123
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 8:03:17 AM   
Lovenought

So when will the Allies stop? I know they won't take Berlin, but will they take everything else they did historically? What about the north?

Once they stop advancing, couldn't you strip everything out of the West and send it East?

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 124
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 8:57:24 AM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovenought

So when will the Allies stop? I know they won't take Berlin, but will they take everything else they did historically? What about the north?

They will take everything they captured historically, unless the Soviets beat them to it, which looks unlikely at this point. So on T16, Bavaria and Württenberg should fall.

On T17 Schleswig Holstein as well as parts of Austria will fall to the WA. Thats pretty much the extent of the WA advance. The rest is up to the Soviets.

quote:

Once they stop advancing, couldn't you strip everything out of the West and send it East?

Nope and I am glad that that is not possible as it would be gamey. Most of the units in the TBs are locked so they cant be moved by the player no matter what. To add to that you need to be above 90% of requirements to pull units out of the TBs, which I am not (End of T15, ground req is at 85%). And I have basically moved everything I could from the TBs to make up for the replacement issues.

All I can use now as reserves are the units that escaped from Italy mentioned in post #116. T16 is probably the last time I will use the Axis reserve to deploy units on the map.

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 125
T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (... - 2/11/2022 9:25:04 AM   
xhoel

Prague sector, defended by Army Group A

Compared to the Berlin sector, the situation here is better with few attacks. In fact the two Soviet Guard Tank Armies to the south have not made any moves. Probably waiting for the Infantry to catch up and hoping the heavy mud will turn to light mud soon. Prague is being threatened again after a strong Soviet attack dislodged our defenders in the city outskirts. We counterattack immediately and the 76th Rifle Corps is sent back reeling. More than 400 AFVs took part in the assault, numbers that have not been seen in a long time on our side. Defenses are reinforced where possible and we are using the Elbe to our advantage as much as possible. The enemy has 2 strong groups concentrated in the Prague area and a strong bridgehead north of the city. The fighting will be bloody next week. Yet Army Group A has a healthy amount of armored formations that can be used to counterattack forward Soviet forces.

I am a bit unsure why Gunnulf is not throwing his armor forward here. The guess is that he is waiting for infantry to catch up, but the more he delays, the better my chances of reinforcing the southern approach to Prague.

Prague-Vienna sector before:

Prague sector battles:

Battle of Vienna:

Sector after Axis moves:

Counterattack in front of Prague:

Army Group A armor:

Austrian sector, defended by Army Group South

Forward positions in Lower Austria are being abandoned for the more defensible hilly terrain to the south. The Soviets are pushing slowly in the sector however. Sporadic Soviet attacks in the sector of the 2nd Panzer Army force us to give ground here. A Rumanian division is attacked and routed. What is left of Army Group South (1st and 2nd Panzer Armies) are now tasked with defending Austria. American forces are expected to launch a full offensive in Bavaria so we have made preparations for this eventuality by leaving only a token force defending the approach to the region.

2nd Panzer Army sector, start of the week:

Heavy hits on the Hungarian units:

2nd Panzer Army sector, after Axis moves:

Rumanians hit hard:

Army Group South after:

South overview:

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/11/2022 9:26:04 AM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 126
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 9:52:26 AM   
Lovenought

What is your production like? I assume you have completely lost many classes of AFV/Aircraft production by now. It'd be interesting to see what the rump-Reich still produces. Are all the raw inputs still doing fine, other than oil and fuel?

Did you notice any serious impact from the W.Allied strategic bombing? They do a lot of damage to railyards, from reading the events.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 127
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 10:18:34 AM   
Stamb

I don't know if Gunnulf is reading this AAR, if he is - can he say something about Soviet logistic system? Any problems?

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 128
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 10:27:32 AM   
Stamb

Ah, I forgot that it is not Stalingrad to Berlin. But anyway, curious to get an answer.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 129
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/11/2022 11:45:08 AM   
xhoel

@Lovenought: I will post about the other industrial sectors in the next update (T16). Production is dropping fast but the Germans still have adequate supply and resource stores.

Yes the strategic bombing has helped keep the fuel industry producing little and the targeted railway bombing means that not many units can be railed around the front. Without it, things would be looking a lot better for us.

@Stamb: No, Gunnulf isnt reading since everything reported here is up to date stuff. I sent T15 yesterday and today the update was published. From what I am seeing, the logistic system is doing ok but a lot of replacements arent reaching his front line units. Was surprised to see 3 Corps barely mustering 350 AFVs this week.

Once the game is done Gunnulf will be able to read everything and add his comments/thoughts on the matter. We only have 4 more turns to go so should be done in about two weeks I think.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 130
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/12/2022 9:17:36 AM   
xhoel

Irrecoverable ground losses stand at 33.500 men this week, along with 404 AFVs and around 1.500 guns. The Soviets have lost more than 40k men as irrecoverable losses and similar losses in guns and AFVs.

Another 23 transport planes lost this week due to supply runs. Air losses from the ground phase are shown at the start of the update.

Soviet OOB has fallen below 6 million men for the first time during the campaign. The Soviets still have 9.5k AFVs at their disposal and more than 103k guns. German total forces have fallen to 4 million.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 131
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/12/2022 10:20:24 AM   
loki100

picking up on the discussion of Soviet intentions around Prague.

my guess (and going off my pre-release AI campaign) is he's got the infantry in a 10-12 MP and the armour in the low 30s. So can take a hex but no deeper threat? Given how well you're managing that sector simply taking a hex and inflicting no wider disruption isn't worth it

so, sticking to guess work, he's trying to sort out the logistics so he can hit hard enough to yield a decent reward. In the end if he can isolate Prague that's your economy over

great to see such real choices for both sides, even right up the end

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 132
RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/12/2022 5:33:20 PM   
xhoel

Hmm that is possible. I was more talking about the 3rd and 4th Guards Tank Army in Austria. They arent very close to Prague (100 miles away) and any incursion north can potentially be checked. My guess is that he pressed them in a sector that his logistics cant properly support and with the snow melting he is now stuck in heavy mud and waiting for the infantry to catch up. Disengaging the Tank formations now would do more harm than good so waiting for the infantry and then rushing north seems like the best course of action.

As for the units around Prague, I would have done the same. Build up the forces and push the crossings on both sides of the city so you can cut the rail connection. Looking at T16 that I now have, there are some scary CVs near the city and stacks of three Rifle Corps everywhere show that the Soviets really mean business. Almost all of them are Guards too.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 133
T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (... - 2/15/2022 2:05:39 PM   
xhoel

T16, 28th of April 1945

American forces have captured Württenberg and Bavaria, cutting Army Group South off from the rest of the Wehrmacht. The last major industrial sites of the Reich have now fallen in enemy hands. OKW predicts that American forces will continue their press from Bavaria and will push for Tyrol, Upper Austria and Salzburg.

In the Balkans, Titos partisans have taken Bosnia and Hercegovina. Now only the territory of Croatia and Slovenia remain in our hands.

WE TB and Eastern Front:

Balkans:

A look at the industry:

The Fuel Pool has fallen to 45k tonnes but by the end of the Axis turn the pool was down at 40k tonnes, indicating that next week it might drop to 0. The Oil Pool is at 0, oil reserves only remain in cities (14k), of which 12k are in Lovaszi which is cut off by rail but still connected to our Balkan forces. Resource stores have fallen to 80k from a high of 350k last turn. The WA capturing vast swathes of territory has played a key role here. Supply situation and armaments are ok but the pool is shrinking. Conscription has fallen as well, only 7k men are being raised per week.

Production numbers for AFVs and Aircraft shown below. We still hold major AFV chassis factories in Berlin (Pz III), Steyr (Pz IV) and Prague (Pz 38t). The loss of Wiener Neustadt in Austria means that Bf 109 airframes production has dropped sharply but we have enough airframes in the pool.

Of the main AFV classes, we are still producing the Panther G and Panzer IVJ which are the mainstay tanks of the Panzer Divisions. We still have 53 King Tigers in the pool and the production of Stug IIIG and Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer is continuing at full speed.

Aircraft Production:

Chassis and AFV Production:

The elimination of around 50 divisions (Italian TB and WE) has meant that the replacements finally started flowing to the Eastern Front. For the first time in weeks I have finally received a proper flow of men in the units fighting the Soviets, 68k men deployed to the East. It comes at the right time too.

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/15/2022 2:06:16 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 134
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/15/2022 10:59:25 PM   
Lovenought

You're just shedding dead weight. Remember what Bismark said about the Bavarians!

Also, i'm really surprised they are still producing Panzer IIIs in 1945. I guess the chassis are just converted into some kind of tank destroyer, and they aren't actually producing the main tank version anymore?

:EDIT:

What is the situation in Norway? Have you stripped it down to 90%, or is it still at a healthy number?

< Message edited by Lovenought -- 2/15/2022 11:01:56 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 135
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 8:06:36 AM   
xhoel

quote:

i'm really surprised they are still producing Panzer IIIs in 1945. I guess the chassis are just converted into some kind of tank destroyer, and they aren't actually producing the main tank version anymore?

You are correct. The Chassis image shows which vehicle are being currently produced in white. The ones no longer being produced are shown in red. So for the Pz. III only StuG IIIGs and StuH42 are being produced.

quote:

What is the situation in Norway? Have you stripped it down to 90%, or is it still at a healthy number?

Norway is above requirements. Almost all of the units in that TB are locked so the player cant do much about it, which is realistic as a major evacuation wasn´t feasible this late in the war.

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/16/2022 1:40:13 PM >

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 136
T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (... - 2/16/2022 10:40:18 AM   
xhoel

Army Group North

Soviet attacks in Kurland are showing their effect. 2 Infantry Regiments have been shattered, and 3 divisions forced back towards the ports. Only 2 IDs remain in Ventspils, while 4 divisions are defending Liepaja. Surprisingly the 12th Panzer Division received reinforcements last week, bringing them up to strength a bit. Both ports have defensive CVs of above 30 so they might be able to withstand a direct Soviet attack as long as the shipping lanes remain open.

Berlin sector

The Soviets have taken Stetting and Frankfurt an der Oder after strong attacks, have cleared all the Oder crossings and advanced further inland. Elements of Soviet armor are now pushing towards Mecklenburg in the direction of Rostock. In the south the enemy continues to hammer away at our defenses and has made considerable gains.

16th Army ordered to defend Mecklenburg and especially Rostock. Orders have been given for other forces to pull back towards Berlin and establish strong defensive positions around the city. 9th Army has been reinforced with reserves in order to defend the rail connection between Berlin and Prague. The sheer strength of enemy units around the capital is staggering. We can only hope to delay the Soviets long enough for the Americans to take the city. With enemy vanguards now only 10 miles from Berlin, its garrison has been buffed by further units and now stands at 42k men strong.

In the Dresden Leipzig sector the enemy has established a further bridgehead south of Dresden and has also widened the secondary bridgehead at Aussig. 9 Corps are across the Elbe here, 2 of which are fast moving and well experienced Guards Cavalry Corps. The positions around Dresden have been reinforced and 2 SS Panzergrenadier Divisions (4th SS and 16th SS) as well as a Panzergrenadier Brigade (92nd) have been released from Army Group A to assist the defense of the sector. The bridgehead south of Dresden has been eliminated by a counterattack of the 6th SS Panzer Army, which threw the 2nd Guards Cavalry Corps back across the Elbe after heavy fighting. Dresden itself is being defended by 4 Infantry Divisions under the VI Corps (8th Army) and the 24th Panzer Division. The city garrison is 50k men strong and has around 800 guns and 80 AFVs and sports a defensive CV of 230.

Berlin-Dresden sector before:

Holds marked in yellow.

Battles in the sector:

Hasty attacks not as successful:

16th Army sector after German moves:

Berlin sector after:

Dresden sector after:

Overview of the Army Group Vistula and Army Group Center sector after German moves:

German counterattack eliminates a Soviet bridgehead at heavy cost:

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 137
T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (... - 2/16/2022 11:30:56 AM   
xhoel

Prague and Austria sector

The 12th Army has taken the brunt of Soviet attacks in the sector as the enemy has attacked along a broad front and cleared the western bank of the Elbe but seems to lack the forces to make a crossing in force due to a single German hold along the line. Only north of Kralupy have the Soviets managed to establish a second bridgehead. The enemy positioning around Prague indicates that the Soviets might attempt a direct attack on the city next week so the garrison has been reinforced by further units. It is absolutely vital that the rail connections exiting Prague remain in our hands. The CVs on both sides are formidable but the enemy is really pressing hard here and the sea of Red Guard Rifle Corps shows that they are serious about taking the city as fast as possible.

In the Budweis sector the enemy is putting hard pressure on the right flank of Army Group A, launching multiple successful attacks and threatening to cut off our forward forces. Tenacious defenders prevent a full breakthrough here. The units in the sector have been reorganized under the 4th Panzer Army and have given ground. Budweis has been abandoned. Army Group A breaks contact with Army Group South defending in Austria.

Army Group South has had a relatively quiet week, with only a single Soviet attack at Linz that was beaten back from the city garrison. The 1st Panzer Army has been repositioned in a way that ensures that we can hold Linz and Salzburg long enough to surrender them to the Americans and to prevent a communist take over of the Austrian region.*

Situation start of the week:

Battles:

Single hold on the Elbe prevents a major crossing:

4th Panzer Army Holds to the south:

Battle of Linz:

Situation after Axis moves:

Further to the south, the 2nd Panzer Army has given some ground but also launched a strong counterattack against a Rumanian Division. The rail line connecting AGS to the rest of the Reich is now cut so the forces here will have to make due with what is in the depots right now. Their supply priorities have been lowered to make up for this fact.

Overview south:

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/16/2022 11:31:26 AM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 138
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 11:40:59 AM   
xhoel

*Clarifying what was said on post #138:

The WA advance is continuing on schedule and after taking Bavaria and Württenberg, they are set to take the following three regions next turn:

-Upper Austria
-Salzburg
-Tyrol

In order to prevent the WA advance from messing up Soviet attack plans, the game is set up in such a way that if the Soviets control main cities in the region (Salzburg for Salzburg region and Linz for Upper Austria), the region will not flip to WA control, but will continue to be playable. If the cities are still in German hands at the time the event fires, the region flips to WA control and all German units within the region are destroyed and removed from the game.

My goal here was to ensure that both Salzburg and Linz stay in my hands so that the Americans can flip the regions and prevent a Soviet capture. To ensure this is the case, I decided to put the 1st Panzer Army (red) to the task, even though this means that if everything goes well, the whole army (save for 2 divisions fighting in Lower Austria) will be destroyed.

There are no gains for the Axis player from doing this, its just a nice touch of immersion and keeps the game interesting. So hopefully Linz can withstand another Soviet attack and can be handed over to the American forces advancing from Bavaria.

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/16/2022 11:42:59 AM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 139
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 12:03:17 PM   
xhoel

Losses

Irrecoverable Axis losses have increased considerably. This week 49k men were either KIA or MIA on our side while the Soviets lost 35k. Gun losses have been very heavy at 2.5k and another 457 AFVs were lost.

In the Air we only lost 87 planes, mostly recon and transport planes as the LW is recovering from the heavy losses of last week. The VVS on the other hand has continued to support ground forces non stop around the clock and the enemy has lost around 1.000 planes this week to a combination of Flak and Operational causes.

The sustained broad front offensive that is focused on smashing German formations instead of cutting them off and destroying them later is taking a toll on the Soviet OOB, which has dropped again this week and now stands at 5.8 million men.

Losses:

OOB:

Front overview:

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 140
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 1:21:32 PM   
John B.

I always enjoy reading your AARs. I've never played this game but I have one quick question, when does Steiner show up with the miracle weapons to save the day? Is that a hardwired event? ;)

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 141
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 1:54:10 PM   
xhoel

Thanks John, glad to hear you are enjoying the AAR.

Steiner is already fighting south of Berlin. You dont need a relief attack when the capital hasnt been encircled yet

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 142
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 3:57:26 PM   
FriedrichII

Superb quality AAR and interesting scenario!

When I look at this scenario I tend to think how fantastic it would be if the Western Allies could be part of this scenario. This scenario is exciting, but with the Western Allies in it, it would be an other level of excitement.
I am in no way any expert, but for H2H battles the AI would not even have to be upgraded to allow the Soviet human player to command the Western Allies too, or even more exciting would be if this could be an 3 human match (Axis, Soviet, Western Allies).

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 143
RE: T16: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnu... - 2/16/2022 4:41:07 PM   
xhoel

Thank you, appreciate it!

That would be interesting for sure, but the game systems cant handle it AFAIK.

(in reply to FriedrichII)
Post #: 144
T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis)... - 2/16/2022 4:58:36 PM   
xhoel

Since I just got back T17 from Gunnulf wanted to give a small update: Prague has fallen to a direct assault meaning the entire Wehrmacht starts T17 isolated. At the same time 0 replacements have arrived East and also the last 3 Divisions that were supposed to arrive on map simply have disappeared (not in OOB either).

Together with this comes a reduction in CVs by 50% across the board and the erosion of any attacking CVs meaning no counterattacks will be possible from now on, which really sucks. Almost all defensive CVs are now in the 1-10 range, meaning they wont last long at all. There will also be a complete lack of replacements and I am interested to see how the game will handle that. Any units that get attacked will probably surrender to the Soviets instead of retreating so I´m guessing a complete collapse will follow soon.

Since this campaign ends at the start of T21 Axis, this gives the Soviets 4 weeks (turns) to take Berlin, which under these circumstances is more than doable and I dont think there is any chance that I can prevent that from happening. I still intend to see the game to the end but at this current time feel like this isolation rules are a bit too much. Time will tell though.

< Message edited by xhoel -- 2/16/2022 4:59:35 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 145
RE: T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (A... - 2/16/2022 5:10:51 PM   
loki100

grim

but maybe a few glimmers in the gloom

1) esp first turn isolated shown cv tends to be under-stated (essentially it imposes an assumed shortfall and units often have a bit more than that baseline - I've seen Tyrone argue this as one reason why the axis player can get caught out in the opening turns)
2) you still have what is in the depots - admittedly now very finite
3) your better units in decent terrain will retain some combat power

basically thinking that it usually takes 8+ turns for the Soviets to reduce Stalingrad in StB - admittedly both sides are weak in that situation and its the Soviets that can improve on their starting problems

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 146
RE: T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (A... - 2/16/2022 5:12:49 PM   
RedJohn

That seems... incorrect. Or is it meant to simulate mass surrendering?

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 147
RE: T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (A... - 2/16/2022 6:19:27 PM   
Beethoven1

Don't lose heart. You will break the isolation next turn and turn back the invaders with our new wunderwaffe, ultimately leading to total victory.

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 148
RE: T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (A... - 2/16/2022 6:38:36 PM   
Beethoven1

duplicate

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 149
RE: T17 Short Update: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (A... - 2/16/2022 8:42:37 PM   
Stamb

Berlin is not a NSS is this scenario?

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: T15: The Oder must hold! VtB: xhoel (Axis) vs Gunnulf (Soviet) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI