Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hit Chance and calculation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Hit Chance and calculation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 5:46:04 AM   
LehrDivision

I know when you put your cursor on enemy unit it'll show the % chance of hitting the unit so here goes question

1. Is that the REAL % chance in hitting the unit
2. Is there other modifer that comes into not include in the cursor's chance
3. How are kills to infantry dealt with?
4. SMG are best for CQB right?
5. MG or LMG has higher % of hitting infantry or any unit once they are set?
6. What are the % of a tank tearing down a building and getting immboilized?

and probably more to come

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows." Guderian, 1937
Post #: 1
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 8:50:52 AM   
Voriax

Hello

1) Nope
2) I think the to-hit approximation is based for accuracy and range. In the actual result calculation crew experience, morale and probably couple other things are counted in.
3) *scratch* *scratch* Uhhh Well if you hit it with a single weapon then they have the max kill value. This is he max number of men they can kill from an infantry unit. Happens very rarely. Also weapons like hmg or an infantry gun are handled differently. If you hit it with a rifle fire then the number of rifles firing has to be taken into equation. But honestly, I do not know what are the exact formulas.
4) CQB??????
5) Well they have rather good fire control and targetting values..they *are* good against infantry.
6) Very small nowadays. 5% perhaps if not even less

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to LehrDivision)
Post #: 2
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 2:21:27 PM   
minefield

CQB= close quarters battle

The LMG is just a light machine gun. MG is a machine gun. MMG is medium machine gun and HMG is heavy machine gun. I don't know that one is any more accurate against infantry, besides the innate differences in fire control and range finder. Typically the larger machine guns have longer ranges, a more powerful round, and better to-hit stats like range finder.

Hope this helps.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 3
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 3:19:17 PM   
Belisarius

About 6) Be happy for it. With 7.1 it was like 95%, which meant a lot of trouble....arrrggh.

And yes, the SMGs are absolutely lethal at close range, preferrably >2 hexes.

Got StuG?

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 4
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 8:37:13 PM   
Svennemir

quote:

CQB= close quarters battle

Ahh, good! I couldn't quite shake the "Close Quarters Bombat"-feeling.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 5
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/20/2004 10:50:47 PM   
LehrDivision

Wow Belisarius are you positive its 95%? cause i got 7.1

also this brings up

1. what are range finder?
2. what are fire control?

i seen both somewhere in units but couln't figure out what they are

Also

1. How much does morale and experince come into play with hit %
2. Does infantry in buildings have a higher protection % or a higher rate of not being hit
3. Are shell holes done by BIG Artiliry any good for cover for infantry?
4. How are size of a unit played in relations to hit %? i mean i know its higher and easier to hit but is there a formula?
5. What about units with size of "0" such as recon or scouts or sniper....
6. If you put sniper in a concealed building and take random shots is there no way the enemy can figure out where the shots are from.
7. Is the best way to kill bunkers or pillbox or rifle logs is to smoke around the frontal and send in either engineers to the side or behind and blow em up? Can this be done with regular infantry with grandes?
8. Is overwatch performed by putting 1 unit as watcher (setting fire range to 0) and let the unit advancing advance 1 hex at a time, and when the ambusher attack the moving unit, attack with ur overwatcher?
9. Is the best way to move is the move 1 hex at a time if you know the enemy are CLOSE like 10-15 hex
10. What does the each stance mean ? Ready,Pinned,Retreating,Routed,Buttoned (for amour) and what are the effect of being in such mode.
11. Are there chance for big round shells to affect 2 hex? even 3?
12. Once a unit is supperesed it can't return wiht Opfire right?

< Message edited by LehrDivision -- 4/20/2004 4:01:57 PM >

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows." Guderian, 1937

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 6
RE: Hit Chance and calculation - 4/21/2004 12:46:53 AM   
Voriax

I'd say Belisarius had a typo. Immobilizations were really common in versions 5 and before, maybe even with 6. Don't really recall that any more.

Lehrdivision, I'd politely suggest reading the manual. Ok, it is for 5.0 but most of the things are still valid. The manual is included in the game, either via spwaw start menu or by locating manual.pdf from spwaw main folder. You'll need the adobe acrobat reader. Combat section from page 60 onwards deals with many of these subjects, even with some formulas. Oh and 'stab' (stabilizer) is no longer used, fire control and targetting values have replaced it.
Anyways, range finder helps you to estimate targets distance correctly thus increasing possibility for hit. Higher values are better
Fire control deals with things like stabilizer or not, one man turret or 2/3 men..and targetting is the quality of sights. Roughly. Higher values are again better.

For now I'll skip quite a few of your questions as they are explained in detail in the manual (and I feel lazy )

7. This is a good method and smoking bunkers keeps casualties down. You may want to bypass bunkers sometimes if the time limits are tight. Standard infantry can assault bunkers with grenades but success % are very low.

8. Again a good method. Although there is one thing to consider. It is easier to hit an enemy unit that has fired a shot than an unit that has been sitting still. So if your first unit can be rallied you might want to use it anyways. Often when I spot an enemy unit I fire at it from a faraway unit only to 'coax' the enemy into returning fire. When it does that I'll switch to a closer unit which preferably has good firepower and blast away.

9. This certainly makes your units harder to spot. Though it is timeconsuming process.

11. They do. If you go to 100+mm arty (roughly) they affect their target hex and all hexes around it. Really big arty and large aerial bombs have 2-hex blast radius...they can *really* hurt densely packed infantry.

12. Nope. See the 'special op-fire' in the manual.

Oh and one thing. It is my impression that many if not most formulas in spwaw have some 'fudge' factors. For example HEAT ammunition rarely gives the listed penetration. This is not to irritate those of us who want to calculate each possibility with as much detail as possible but as combat is somewhat uncertain by nature. Thus there are some uncertainties and special possibilities in the game..like damaging tanks external gear with non-penetrating hits.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to LehrDivision)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Hit Chance and calculation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI