Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tiger NbW's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tiger NbW's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tiger NbW's - 2/6/2002 11:08:00 PM   
Fredde

Just thought this would be a quite interesting issue to talk about including our all-time-favourite tank. I never was sure about the short-range "NbW-weapon" on the Tiger and other Gerry tanks so I looked around a little on the net and here's a page I found.. http://www.custermen.net/nahvert/nah.htm How commonly used was this during the war? Reading this page makes it seem quite tedious to use (not that I believe everything that is written on the internet) Achtung Panzer doesn't mention anything about other ammunition types carried than MG rounds and 88 mm for example.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.
Post #: 1
- 2/7/2002 5:03:00 PM   
Fredde

None of the Gurus here who can enlighten me on this subject?

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 2
- 2/7/2002 7:49:00 PM   
Panzer Leo

Well, I'm certainly not a tank Guru, but I can't think of many situations this weapon is really useful at.
It is hard to aim (you just point it somewhere in the direction of suspected infantry) and the grenade is not very impressive in size.
When would you use it ?
I think only, when you're some kind of stuck with your tank and some infantry tries to assault you with primitive AT-weapons or methods (like firing into vision slits or whatever).
But how effective could this be ???
And is it a good idea to shoot some folks a few shrapnel in the butt when you get pulled out of your tank a few minutes later anyway ???
I think I would rather open the hatch, say hello and ask what meal is served in prison camp this evening...but in case you're a guy with some SS-uniform and your tank lost tracks on the Eastern Front, the NvW 92 could be your last chance to get a few kills before you end up in the long list of dead fanatics... I really doubt it was a very useful weapon...there might be a few situations you would love to have it, but they seem to be very rare...

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

Mir nach, ich folge euch !

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 3
- 2/7/2002 11:58:00 PM   
Belisarius

I've heard very little about this weapon (?), but I *think* they were mostly used in conjuction with the Kampfpistole as a signal flare/smoke launcher. Haven't heard anything about the efficiency of the grenades. What I have noticed though, is that even late model Panzer IVs sports one! So the OKH must've found some use for it?

Got StuG?

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 4
- 2/8/2002 6:23:00 PM   
Fredde

Yes, that's what I'm thinking of. Was it in use extensively enough to justify a modeling of this special weapon in the game? I haven't seen much of it at all in books I've read.

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 5
- 2/8/2002 7:31:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

As long as you don't have a minimum range for the other weapons of the tank (with other words you can not fire if the enemy is close to you) the NbW should not be included as a separate weapon.By the way, the tiger has no weapon slot empty so adding the NbW is possible only if you want to put two mg in one slot. [ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: kgvm ] [ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: kgvm ]

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 6
- 2/8/2002 7:34:00 PM   
Fredde

Actually it is there already for several German armoured vehicles, including late-war Tigers if I don't remember all wrong.

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 7
- 2/9/2002 11:19:00 PM   
m10bob

As i understand it,this was purely a defensive weapon and was similar in intention to the modern day "Claymore"..Very indiscriminate in it's use and might hit any near-by "friendly's"..It was meant to keep enemy infantry off the tank because the infantry was considered a greater threat than enemy tanks..(I always listened to my dad's stories and this was his theatre of operations:ETO)..

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 8
- 2/10/2002 7:09:00 PM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by m10bob:
As i understand it,this was purely a defensive weapon and was similar in intention to the modern day "Claymore"..Very indiscriminate in it's use and might hit any near-by "friendly's"..It was meant to keep enemy infantry off the tank because the infantry was considered a greater threat than enemy tanks..(I always listened to my dad's stories and this was his theatre of operations:ETO)..
That's true. And hey, at least I'm having more trouble with AT infantry than enemy tanks. On the topic of the danger of infantryI think the concept of "scratching fire" was even included in the Panzer crews field manual? Anyone else seen/heard/read this? (disclaimer: I'm taking this from a memory pocket deep inside my thick skull, so it may not be accurate at all )

Got StuG?

(in reply to Fredde)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tiger NbW's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI