Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command and Control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Command and Control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command and Control - 6/14/2000 10:03:00 AM   
Sabot

Hello everyone, First I would like to say that this one of the most addictive strategy games I've ever had the pleasure of playing, and the commitment to support I've seen is so wonderful. I hope my question isn't deemed too lame. It regards the Command and Control aspect of SPWAW. I just can't seem to get a handle on how it works. Do I have to manually tell units to expend order points? I noticed every unit seems to have order points. I'm not clear regarding when the points are required either. The manual seems to gloss over this aspect of the game (I could really use some help here, as I want to enjoy the game in its full depth!) I eagerly await all of your pearls of wisdom

Post #: 1
- 6/14/2000 11:14:00 AM   
victorhauser

CC works as follows... Each of your leaders has a command-point value based on both his rank and experience. That is the number you see (e.g., A:9). Rank and experience also determines how many CC points may be carried over from one turn to the next. CC is used to: 1) change modes from advance to defend; 2) to change formation objectives; 3) to call artillery; and 4) to move outside a unit's movement boundaries (from it's highlighted area into/through the darkened area when the movement radius button is selected). Calling artillery cost 1 CC point per artillery unit called (or air unit). To change the formation's objective costs 3 CC points per change. To change the mode of a unit costs 1 CC point if the unit is stacked or adjacent to the command unit at the instant of issuance, 2 CC points otherwise. To allow a unit to move outside it's highlighted movement area costs 1 CC point if the unit is stacked or adjacent to the command unit at the instant of issuance, 2 CC points otherwise. If a unit is out of contact (i.e., it has (0) where you would ordinarily see CC points) then it may do none of the above and may only move in its highlighted movement area. However, units with recon ability can always move in any direction regardless of CC points. It takes no CC points to direct-fire weapons or assault.

VAH

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 2
- 6/14/2000 11:32:00 AM   
victorhauser

Follow Up... Your leaders may only give orders to subordinate units. So the formation B leader may not give orders to formation X units, for instance. Company commanders may give orders to any units of his company (e.g., if the company is composed of formations B, C, D, and E, then he may give orders to any units in those formations). The battlegroup commander, you (the A0), may give orders to any unit(s). If a unit uses all his available CC points in a given turn, then the command-point availability immediately switches to the A0 (you). This is a potentially bad situation because often in the heat of battle you sometimes don't realize that your platoon leader is out of CC points and the the A0 has taken over. What's bad about that is that you might need those A0 points to call in artillery or to issue more important orders, only to discover that your A0 used up all his CC points, too. Be careful. CC is very frustrating to most players. But when you've reached a high skill-level and fluency with CC, I believe that's one of the surest signs of an expert SP player. I personally never play without it (even when a scenario tells me to turn off CC, I leave it on anyway for a greater challenge).

VAH

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 3
- 6/14/2000 4:03:00 PM   
Antonius

It took me some time to realize 1) that the easiest way to change the formation stance of a formation is to right-click on the formation leader, change the scope of orders (from single unit to whole formation)and then change the stance; 2) that units which are out of command when a formation stance order is given will NOT automatically change their stance when command is restored but must be given individuel stance change orders (unlike an objective change) 3) I should never move a unit outside the high-lighted hexes unless I really needed it since it costs plenty of command points which would generally be better used elsewhere 4) I should always keep an eye on the remaining # of orders ! 5) that units equipped with radios and sent far away can be made almost useless if the radio mast is blown away Before all the above I indeed found the system a bit frustating, but even then I loved having to plan and act in formations and the limitation on un-realistic tricks and manoeuvers.

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 4
- 6/15/2000 1:49:00 AM   
Tombstone

CC is awesome. If it could be made more sophisticated I'd be happy. It forces you to do stuff in an organized manner, it promotes planning and punishes actions that are poorly thought out. Something to point out though... now that we are in the scale of 50m/hex 'adjacent' is now equal to 2 hexes is it? That is, if you start the round within 2 hexes of the #0 unit of the formation then you are considered in 'contact' with your formation. Outside this radius you are either 'out of command' or 'radio contact' However, what I've noticed is that you need to be in the adjacent hex if you intend to make a unit that is 'out of command' to be 'in contact' immediately. Tomo

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 5
- 6/15/2000 9:23:00 AM   
Sabot

Thanks a lot y'all! I finally get it. Gonna go play a game with it enabled and see what happens. Thanks again.

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 6
- 6/15/2000 10:35:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Again, well answered fellas. Thanks for taking this on. Nice answers. C&C for my money is for the more experienced gamer. It can be a nightmare for those not as familiar as others with the game. It requires a lot more micro-management. Good luck with it, Sabot! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 7
- 6/16/2000 12:37:00 AM   
Nikademus

I've found that if there's no radio present the unit has to stay within 3 hexes of the HQ unit to stay in command control

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 8
- 6/16/2000 6:23:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

C&C can be annoying (just like in real life) but it adds enormously to the realism of the game. One of the old defensive ploys in SP1 and 2 was to string out a screen of snipers of other cheap units across the board to act as artillery spotters. Even though they couldn't call in fire, they spotted units that could then be shelled. This tactic has been made less useful in SPWAW. Another problem in SP1 and 2 was the ability to scatter platoon sized units all over the board with reckless abandon, this too is much less effective. One question though? Is C&C affected by unit experience? I know that the leaders command rating has a bearing but it should also be easier to control an experienced subordinate than a green one.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Sabot)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Command and Control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI