Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will AI Japan get any more BB?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Will AI Japan get any more BB? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:27:18 AM   
Bozzaroo

I'm a novise on this and are still learning every day I play the game, or check this forum. But I have a question about Japanese ships and rebuild.

I'm in my first attempt to run the whole scen.15 against the AI, it's Aug-42 and I have started to build up for an attack to take back Rabaul. Then I just realized that I have most probably already sunk most of the Japanese BB. (been bombing Rabaul to Rubbel, during day attacks .. lost a lot of B17 in the beginning, but I keept bombing and now Rabauls air and port is 100% damage)

So will Japan get any BB's back (I'm pretty sure that they have lost Kongo as well, and Yamato is damage), or are the big sea battles that I have been looking forward to already doomed?? And how many AK/AP/TK does Japan have in the beginning of the war, my air units have already sunk almost 500 ships and the war has slowed down to the point that Japan doesn't seem to respond to any unit build-ups anywhere.

Just not sure if I already have stuffed this game and should start all over when 1.5 is out? I really wanted to run this scen the whole way, but I want a fight and as I said I'm a beginner so the AI has been very impressive until it started to use up it's whole BB fleet in the port of Rabaul.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:31:43 AM   
von Murrin

Japan has a production schedule, so they'll only get Musashi. Sorry.

If you want to play the AI longer than late '42, you can't slap it as hard as you have. Let it take its objectives and don't take advantage of its mistakes. Hopefully the AI will be tweaked a bit so it doesn't run out from under air cover and handles logistics better.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Bozzaroo)
Post #: 2
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:39:09 AM   
2ndACR

If you have sunk 500 or so Japanese ships by Aug 42, I would say that you have slapped the AI a little too hard.

For a real fight, think about starting a PBEM game with someone. They do not give up the ships quite so easily.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 3
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:40:06 AM   
Bozzaroo

I was afried of that .. guess I just have to restart it again and do what you suggest, it's just that I thought I had something good going and by taking Rabaul I could start getting offensive after all the retreting I have been forced to until now! Didn't think B17 could sink BB, but I guess they can if you give them enough time! Do B17 really carry 1000p bombs, as I old have done one run wtih my CV and got wooped bad lost one CV and the rest is now in port being repaired.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 4
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:15:54 AM   
bradfordkay

I've never seen the B17 carry a 1000lb bomb. It appears to me that your navy boys did the job, or at least damaged enough of them that the level bombers were able to finish them off. Looks like you ran a bombardment TF in there as well? Or was it a surface combat one?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Bozzaroo)
Post #: 5
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:27:31 AM   
Bozzaroo

Yes you right, I did 2 bombardment runs and I picked one off in surface combat and the other in the bombardment .. but I can't remember that my CV planes even manage to get to them, but maybe that was during the CV battle even if I only manage to get about 15 planes through. Lost 250 planes that day, 150 naval and 100 B17 when the japanese death star CV came in to rescue its trapped surface ships.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 6
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:27:36 AM   
mogami

Hi, Next start make sure you select the hard level for AI and set game to "receive replacements" There was a problem where if set not to receive the AI would never send replacements to his units. (Then when they arrived at 20 percent they would never grow up)
Did you bomb over 30k?

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 7
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:32:36 AM   
Bozzaroo

This is on hard setting .. but I'm not sure with the receive replacements - will have to check. No I had my bombers on 6000 to 9000 as I heard there was a bug with having them too high, but maybe I got that wrong and I should have had them higher. Well I learn with every thing, and soon I maybe should try a PBEM instead.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 8
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:47:00 AM   
mogami

Hi, No I think you are ready for PBEM.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Bozzaroo)
Post #: 9
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 10:09:12 AM   
ChezDaJez

IRL, B-17s could and did carry 1000lb bombs for short missions, mostly against the German sub pens. There was a limit to the number that would physically fit in the bombbay. I want to say 4 1000 pounders, might have been 5. I can't remember because the gray matter is getting a little grayer everyday, especially on top.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 10
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 10:57:51 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

IRL, B-17s could and did carry 1000lb bombs for short missions, mostly against the German sub pens. There was a limit to the number that would physically fit in the bombbay. I want to say 4 1000 pounders, might have been 5. I can't remember because the gray matter is getting a little grayer everyday, especially on top.

Chez

not going to happen due to the lack of weapon slots..

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 11
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 11:21:55 AM   
BlackVoid

Yamato, Kongo, Musashi are not sunk yet...

(in reply to String)
Post #: 12
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 11:42:11 AM   
wild_Willie2

I think I actually saw 1000 pound bombs used by b17.s. was a strike from port moresby to a tf near buna. i think they actually use 1000 pound bombs, but only on VERY short range missions....

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 13
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 1:13:13 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Added the ability for Allied heavy bombers to carry 1000 pound bombs in last patch. Have to pass an experience roll, squadron leader skill roll and have enough supply at base. Can carry limited numebr to a limited range. Left out ability to carry 2000 pound bombs.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

I think I actually saw 1000 pound bombs used by b17.s. was a strike from port moresby to a tf near buna. i think they actually use 1000 pound bombs, but only on VERY short range missions....

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 14
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 1:42:14 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

COOL !

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

Added the ability for Allied heavy bombers to carry 1000 pound bombs in last patch. Have to pass an experience roll, squadron leader skill roll and have enough supply at base. Can carry limited numebr to a limited range. Left out ability to carry 2000 pound bombs.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 15
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 3:49:31 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

One of the Moderators (you?) made a comment in another thread that there was an ability to carry heavier bombs. Is this what you meant? Are 2000 lb. Allied bombs in the game (i.e. for SBDs?)

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 16
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 5:04:23 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

One of the Moderators (you?) made a comment in another thread that there was an ability to carry heavier bombs. Is this what you meant? Are 2000 lb. Allied bombs in the game (i.e. for SBDs?)

It was me. I commented on the randon upswitch when someone was complaining about the 500's not doing any real damage ... Mike's just explained it in more detail.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 17
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 5:55:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

It was me. I commented on the randon upswitch when someone was complaining about the 500's not doing any real damage ... Mike's just explained it in more detail.

So no two-thousand pounders? Sigh...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 18
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 7:47:24 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

So no two-thousand pounders? Sigh

For what? Nothing in the game is going to stop a 1000 pounder. Next thing you'll be wanting Lancasters and Tall Boys for the Brits to one shot BB's!

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 19
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:40:53 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

So no two-thousand pounders? Sigh

For what? Nothing in the game is going to stop a 1000 pounder. Next thing you'll be wanting Lancasters and Tall Boys for the Brits to one shot BB's!

Eh? I thought most of the IJN BB's stop 1000 pound bombs - at least they did when i had my one shot at them in my 1.40 game. Wrecked the heck out of stuff not below decks, but don't think they penetrated...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 20
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 8:56:58 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Eh? I thought most of the IJN BB's stop 1000 pound bombs - at least they did when i had my one shot at them in my 1.40 game. Wrecked the heck out of stuff not below decks, but don't think they penetrated...

Thats why they invented torpedoes. BB's are not supposed to sink just because you happen to have a couple of aircraft with some bombs fly overhead.

Remember a Tall Boy that which visited the Tirpitz is not a 2,000 pounder .. it is a 12,000 pounder ... a GP 2k is not going to crack the armor on a BB either. Next one up after that was the Grand Slam, a 22,000 pounder.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 21
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 9:22:12 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Thats why they invented torpedoes. BB's are not supposed to sink just because you happen to have a couple of aircraft with some bombs fly overhead.

Remember a Tall Boy that which visited the Tirpitz is not a 2,000 pounder .. it is a 12,000 pounder ... a GP 2k is not going to crack the armor on a BB either. Next one up after that was the Grand Slam, a 22,000 pounder.

Yeah - i was hoping the 2000 pounder was going to act like the 800 kg IJN bomb, or at least somewhat better than the 1000 pounders. I was hoping it might crack the armor on at least some of the older BBs. Didn't think it would dent the deck armor on Yamato class. Nor the Tirpitz, but i really wasn't concerned about her.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 22
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/3/2005 11:37:22 PM   
Mr.Frag

Most GP's are going to just blow up on impact ... you really need AP bombs to deal with BB's or Torpedoes ... remember those 800 kg toys Japan drops are BB AP shells, not HE shells.

It is nice having BB's that last ... Gives people pause for thought when putting 300 aircraft at a base that has water access ... Bombardment run shall now commence.

If you lived in total fear of everything, your BB's would sit at home and rust.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 23
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 12:06:18 AM   
von Murrin

I like BB durability as well. Just because PoW and Repulse went down doesn't mean aircraft could or did kill every damn surface ship that came within range. Also, if the enemy can survive an attack to bombard, it gives my BB's something to do.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 24
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 12:07:24 AM   
Hornblower

While were talking, how about the Tiny Tim??? can't beat a rocket propelled 500lb AP screaming in your direction from 4000 yards off!!!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 25
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 12:09:07 AM   
von Murrin

How about Harpoons as well?

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 26
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 12:16:26 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

While were talking, how about the Tiny Tim??? can't beat a rocket propelled 500lb AP screaming in your direction from 4000 yards off!!!

Yep, but I do like that Grand Slam ...

The *little* one is a Tall Boy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 27
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 12:54:09 AM   
von Murrin

Heh. That's not a bomb, it's an unguided ICBM.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 28
RE: Will AI Japan get any more BB? - 2/4/2005 5:12:18 AM   
mlees

Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Trying to get my Allied AI use the Battlemechs I added correctly is kinda tough. It seems to make them walk along the seabed to the target instead of loading them on an AK...

Anyone else see this?

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Will AI Japan get any more BB? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI