Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Saved Game Failed to Load"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> "Saved Game Failed to Load" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Saved Game Failed to Load" - 5/14/2001 2:10:00 AM   
James P

I'm playing a couple of 1941 league games via PBEM and have hit a problem a couple of turns in, with two games. When you click on the saved slot it comes up with the error "saved game failed to load". I've noticed in the e-mail directory that the Rec file does not seem to have the same date / time stamp as the .dat and .aux files. Can the Matrix guys tell me the cause of this error, as I thought PBEM was now much more forgiving, so I'm assuming this is a terminal problem :(

Cheers, JP
Post #: 1
- 5/15/2001 2:37:00 PM   
James P

Quick update. I went back to the last "good turn" and unzipped back into my PBEM directory. The turn opened and played with out problems. When I went back into the PBEM directory to zip up and send, the .rec file has again failed to update, but the .dat and .aux have updated ok. I think this is terminal. Has anyone else seen this, or does Matrix know why the .rec file hasn't been updated? Thanks in advance

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 2
- 5/15/2001 3:44:00 PM   
Resisti

James, It could be that you exited spwaw too quickly. SECURED pbem games take a while to save.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2001 3:09:00 AM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: James, It could be that you exited spwaw too quickly. SECURED pbem games take a while to save.
Thanks for the tip. I can't remember if this happens when I jump straight out, or not. I'll keep in running for a while before I exit. Any ideas how long I should leave it for?

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2001 5:48:00 AM   
Warhorse

I usually listen to the hard drive, and/or watch the "working" light, not very long, couple seconds, max ten if you're nervous!;-)

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2001 11:04:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: I usually listen to the hard drive, and/or watch the "working" light, not very long, couple seconds, max ten if you're nervous!;-)
Yes,look at the HD working light:when stops "blinking",it's done !

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2001 4:45:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: Yes,look at the HD working light:when stops "blinking",it's done !
So the message that SPWAW shows "PBEM files saved", followed by the list of files, is misleading then :D

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 7
- 5/19/2001 3:35:00 AM   
James P

Arrghh this is effecting three PBEM league games now!!! :( I know this is not due to exiting the game too quickly before the hard disk has finished writing because I went on to play another PBEM game versus another player, so I was in the game for at least another 5 minutes. Can anyone in Matrix give an explination of the "saved game filed to load" message and it's causes, Please......?

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 8
- 5/21/2001 2:20:00 PM   
Resisti

Ehm, I've to admit it's NOT a problem of exiting too quickly....i've been involved with this problem,too,exactly the same problem as JamesP mentioned,and i know I've waited enough before leaving spwaw. Matrix,any clue ?

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 9
- 5/22/2001 12:55:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The problem of "not waitnig long enough was fixed. Unfortunately playing PBEM games takes so long that ists hard to get to the botom of problems. The typical problem is withthe file not being encryted. If you opne a supposedly encrypted file and can read "SPWAW" in the first few characters then that is the problem. The file appears properly encrypted, I have not had it happen to me, so don't know. The fix in either case is to replay the last turn. [ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 10
- 5/22/2001 1:33:00 AM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: The file appears properly encrypted, I have not had it happen to me, so don't know. The fix in either case is to replay the last turn. [ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]
Paul, Thanks for the reply. I could understand an encryption problem if we were getting a security related message. This problem seems to be with the .rec file not correctly updating....does the VCR file also use encryption? Thanks,

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 11
- 5/22/2001 4:29:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

No - But thanks that makes sense...A new angle to check out.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 12
- 5/23/2001 9:07:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: No - But thanks that makes sense...A new angle to check out.
Another update to keep the tread fresh: I installed version 5.1 on a laptop running Windows 2000. This was a virgin install as I have never played any version of SPWAW on the machine before. I followed the following method: Installed version 4.0, rebooted Installed version 4.2, rebooted Installed version 4.5, rebooted Installed version 5.0, rebooted Installed version 5.1, rebooted The same problem of the .rec files not updating has occurred straight away. I think this confirms that there is a problem somewhere as it's happened on two completely differently configured machines, one running Windows 98, the other Windows 2000 Pro. I know that there are no conflicts with previously lurking installs of SPWAW, as this is the first time I’ve installed SPWAW on the Windows 2000 machine. This means PBEM is totally out for me until this is fixed – arrghhh, or reverting back to version 4.5 which ran ok. I’ll check if running at version 5.0 causes the same problems. I can’t stand playing the UI, please help!!!!

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 13
- 5/23/2001 9:37:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by James P: This means PBEM is totally out for me until this is fixed – arrghhh, or reverting back to version 4.5 which ran ok. I’ll check if running at version 5.0 causes the same problems. I can’t stand playing the UI, please help!!!!
Try to run a couple of UNSECURE pbems,as i'm doing right now;it seems they are exempt from this kind of bug;it would be helpful to have confirmations abt this...

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 14
- 5/23/2001 10:24:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

What exactly seems to be happening whe the .rec file "doesn't update" the file time stamp not changing, or the file just not loading? DOes this happen with battle generator games or scenarios?

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 15
- 5/23/2001 11:35:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: What exactly seems to be happening whe the .rec file "doesn't update" the file time stamp not changing, or the file just not loading? DOes this happen with battle generator games or scenarios?
My experience: I got the zip file from yr opponent you extract it and opne in the email folder you go in spwaw try to open then game and you got a message "save game failed to load" you are therefore unable to open it you come back to the zip file you got to see what the hell it's going on and you find that the .rec file (and only that) is showing an old date,that is it has not been updated,apparently is the same file you sent to your opponent.. As for the type of game,i've only played generated battles up to now.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 16
- 5/24/2001 2:28:00 AM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: My experience: I got the zip file from yr opponent you extract it and opne in the email folder you go in spwaw try to open then game and you got a message "save game failed to load" you are therefore unable to open it you come back to the zip file you got to see what the hell it's going on and you find that the .rec file (and only that) is showing an old date,that is it has not been updated,apparently is the same file you sent to your opponent.. As for the type of game,i've only played generated battles up to now.
Exactly. You unzip the turn and all files are sync’d . The turn loads & plays OK, including the VCR. You end the turn as normal, even allowing for extra time before, quitting. I go into windows explorer to zip up the turn and send back, but the .rec file hasn't been updated by the game i.e. it still shows the same time/date from your opponents turn. The .dat and .aux files are fine, with a time stamp of a few minutes ago. James

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 17
- 5/24/2001 4:06:00 AM   
Resisti

Anybody who remembers which type of game were you playing when the problem occurred ? meeting enagement, advance/delay, assault/defense ? I for one was playing an assault/defend..

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 18
- 5/25/2001 2:44:00 AM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: Anybody who remembers which type of game were you playing when the problem occurred ? meeting enagement, advance/delay, assault/defense ? I for one was playing an assault/defend..
All of my games with the error have been computer generated battles, meeting engagements, both human players, all secure PBEM. I don't get the error in games vs the PC.

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 19
- 5/25/2001 3:35:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Has it occured in scenarios - or just battle generator games?

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 20
- 5/25/2001 2:22:00 PM   
Resisti

Paul V., i had another pbem(secure)messed up by this bug;it's the third in few days :( What I've noticed about the .rec file,is that the one you receive and that is wrong it's not SIMPLY the one you sent to yr opponent,as it was;I mean:the file has kept the date on which you saved it last time,but the dimension is much smaller. You can immediately realize that you have received a messed up pbem move,cause the dimension of the zip file is much smaller than normal;when you open the zip,then,you find the .rec file with an old date(the one when you modified it last time,i think) but the file dimensions are smaller than expected(last time,i.e.,i got a .rec file of abt 700k,instead of 2-4mb,i guess). As for the type of game,i'm only playing battle generator.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 21
- 5/26/2001 7:16:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Has it occured in scenarios - or just battle generator games?
As stated, so far I've only played computer generated games vs human players, so I'm not sure if the problem extends to scenerio games vs humans. James

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 22
- 5/30/2001 6:14:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by James P: As stated, so far I've only played computer generated games vs human players, so I'm not sure if the problem extends to scenerio games vs humans. James
Another quick update while we wait on a resoultion ;) I've restarted three of my league games as unsecured head to head, and none of them have the problem as yet (3 turns in). This may point to a problem with the PBEM security element??

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 23
- 5/31/2001 10:38:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

We are still looking into this problem. It does not appear to be a simle fix. As mentioned on another thread, one of the possible solutions is to base secure pbem play on a central server, vice saving the game and transmitting it by email. A number of pros and cons to this have been brought up on other threads...what please let us know what you think of this idea? It would eliminate the possibility of replaying turn cheats, and other forms of cheating, but at the expense of some convenience

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 24
- 6/1/2001 2:24:00 AM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: We are still looking into this problem. It does not appear to be a simle fix. As mentioned on another thread, one of the possible solutions is to base secure pbem play on a central server, vice saving the game and transmitting it by email. A number of pros and cons to this have been brought up on other threads...what please let us know what you think of this idea? It would eliminate the possibility of replaying turn cheats, and other forms of cheating, but at the expense of some convenience
Sounds fine by me.....

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> "Saved Game Failed to Load" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI