Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/3/2001 7:36:00 AM   
rrgraham

I have experienced almost all of the problems cited in this thread, e.g., "Yugoslav" player, hard crashes to desktop. I am running SPWAW ver 6.1 on a Pentium III 300 Mhz machine with Direct X8, ample RAM and hard-drive space. Can anyone report smooth running of MCNA together with ver 6.1 (as opposed to earlier version of SPWAW)? Thanks.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 31
- 8/3/2001 1:19:00 PM   
Eagle-Talon

Hi, I have same problem after the 2nd battle.My PC is a acer PII, Celeron 333,Win 98, sound is a Midi:Roland MPU 401 (does that make sence), 3dfx Voodoo3 2000, 64Meg Ram. :confused:

Ten men wisely lead can beat a hundred without a head.

Post #: 32
- 8/4/2001 11:27:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... We seem cannot reproduce the failures some of you are experiencing. We would really like to help you with your difficulties. Please try the following: 1) As did the last poster, try copying the CD to the hard drive and installing from there. 2) If your copy of Mega Campaign says version 5.0 and not 5.3, try downloading the new sound files and installing them over your old ones. Please report, on this forum, if either of these exercises succeed in correcting the issue. If not, then it would help if you could send Paul a copy of a game that is about to fail, but hasn't been saved. To do this, when the failure occurs, do not exit the game. Instead, immediately hit Alt-Tab, to minimize the program. Then copy the previously saved files to your email directory. Once you have copied the saved files, you can go ahead and hit Control-Alt-Delete and select SPWaW as the program to close and close it. Then zip up and email the saved files. This would be very helpful in determining what the problem might be. Good Luck... Michael Wood Lead Programmer, Matrix Games

Post #: 33
- 8/4/2001 11:30:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... We seem cannot reproduce the failures some of you are experiencing. We would really like to help you with your difficulties. Please try the following: 1) As did the last poster, try copying the CD to the hard drive and installing from there. 2) If your copy of Mega Campaign says version 5.0 and not 5.3, try downloading the new sound files and installing them over your old ones. Please report, on this forum, if either of these exercises succeed in correcting the issue. If not, then it would help if you could send Paul a copy of a game that is about to fail, but hasn't been saved. To do this, when the failure occurs, do not exit the game. Instead, immediately hit Alt-Tab, to minimize the program. Then copy the previously saved files to your email directory. Once you have copied the saved files, you can go ahead and hit Control-Alt-Delete and select SPWaW as the program to close and close it. Then zip up and email the saved files. This would be very helpful in determining what the problem might be. Good Luck... Michael Wood Lead Programmer, Matrix Games

Post #: 34
- 8/4/2001 2:41:00 PM   
ubertechie

i am running a dell lattidude inspiron 8000 - 8050v - and when i change from using large fonts to normal fonts - the problem seems to go away !!! cheers Ubertechie

Post #: 35
- 8/4/2001 7:30:00 PM   
Eagle-Talon

Hi, My game has been crashing as well (ref my previous post). I just had another try at playing but instead of playing the default battle 1 I played Attack the Train (I think thats what its called) anyway,after winning I then went straight to the 2nd battle Resistance Stiffens without saving and guess what it worked. Maybe others having the same problem could try this as well. Good Luck! :)

Ten men wisely lead can beat a hundred without a head.

Post #: 36
- 8/4/2001 8:16:00 PM   
Paul Wykes

I`ve tried the suggestion by gmenfan which worked, shame I couldn`t actually play the second mission. However, the exact same error occured later, on about the 5th mission. I took gmenfan`s advice again and it worked again?! One last point, my mega campaign says version 5.0, but the game says version 6.1. do I need the new sound files? I installed my version from the CD then upgraded to 6.1 thanks

Post #: 37
- 8/4/2001 10:08:00 PM   
Supervisor

Paul Wykes: MegaCampaign is ver 5.0 as the patches so far have been updating the SPWAW engine that controls the MegaCampaign and not the MegaCampaign itself. There has been 1 patch for the MegaCampaign put out by WB, you can download it from The Armor Site entitled "Wild Bill Wilder Revised Desert Fox Megacampaign Scenario Pack! Monday, July 23, 2001" http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm this will update a bug found within MC and will not change the ver #. [ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 38
- 8/4/2001 11:58:00 PM   
Paul Wykes

Thanks gmenfan I thought that wild bills patch was the only one available at the moment I was just checking after mike woods comments. After my last crash I decided to do what mike wood suggested and install the game by copying the setup file onto the hard disk then running the setup program. I completed the first mission and.... It crashed. I did do the Alt-tab trick so I have saved the files. (correctly I hope) I`ll e-mail these to Paul Webber as suggested. thanks

Post #: 39
- 8/5/2001 12:01:00 AM   
Paul Wykes

Oh, I forgot to say that Im also downloading the sound files as suggested, but at 4.0k/s its going to take about 11 hours. wish me luck!

Post #: 40
- 8/5/2001 4:26:00 AM   
sjohn

Paul & Mike - Is there a particular configuration and installation procedure that you can recommend to help troubleshoot this? I've been messing around with the fix Mike recommended, but am still having the same issues and didn't want to post a huge reply with all the details unless I knew I had configured everything properly. Briefly, I copied and ran setup files from H.D., ran the Sound Update, ran Wild Bill's MC Patch, kept the SPWAW version at 5.3 and surrendered at the end of each battle to advance (in the interest of time) to next battle. Interstingly enough, I won an Assault Badge by employing these tactics! :) I do seem to advance past the second battle now, but it eventually crashes to desktop, does the whole Yugoslavia Player thing, etc. I saved some of these files (actually saved entire contents of \MegaCam\save folder), but these were all post-crash. Using alt-tab didn't help since the program had completly terminated. I can email the files and description of the problems, but was hoping you could post an install & config recommendation with a fair amount of idiot-proofing. Some of the things I'm unsure of are: monitor resolution, patch revisions (was Wild Bill's Patch revised or is there more than the one I know about on Armor Site), Preference settings (I haven't been messing with those in order to keep things simple), and program installation order (should I try putting 6.1 Patch on there too)...

Post #: 41
- 8/5/2001 4:43:00 AM   
sjohn

Oops, I forgot to mention... can you also explain the best way to save the files. I'm really confused by the way MegaCampaign saves files. The auto save feature in the briefing screen, the auto save button in the battlefield screen menu itself and the save battle option on the screen with "Start Battle". Which one of these should get used in order to get you the files you need? Sorry so dumb, but by the time I get everything installed, patched, system restarted, the unessential apps Task Managered out, the campaign named and the game started, my meager cognitive skills are pretty much shot to hell. It is Saturday after all. ;)

Post #: 42
- 8/5/2001 7:02:00 AM   
donoldskay

Uninstalled the installation I had made from CD. Copied CD to hard drive. Installed game from hard drive. I did not install the 6.1 upgrade. First time I tried to continue into the Stiff Resistance scenario, the game crashed. Second time it behaved like it should. I am now into second turn on Stiff Resistance. Time will tell. All sounds on. C & C off. Interesting thing is that I forgot to move my save file from the first scenario when I uninstalled the game. However, it was available after I reinstalled the game, so I was able to move right into Stiff Resistance.

Post #: 43
- 8/5/2001 8:07:00 AM   
Battling Tutur

Same problem as everybody.. After a (fu..ing hard) decisive victory in first battle, I got a crash right to the desktop when hitting "continue" to the next battle. So I desinstalled the game, removing the folder, fresh install it from CD, just keeping my saved game. I installed the sound file. Then I relaunched the MC, loaded my game to the same effect. I tryed to disable C&C, all sounds, deleted the steel.xxx file but it still crash. My config is the following : WIN98SE, Directx80a Athlon 1.2Ghz, 256Mo RAM PC133 IBM HD 40Go Sound blaster live! (liveware 3.0) Asus DVD Asus Gforce 256 (drivers nvidia 12.41) I am going to send my savegame.

Post #: 44
- 8/5/2001 12:12:00 PM   
Supervisor

Try launching the game directly from the mech.exe file bypassing the autorun menu and see if you results change. I've never had a crash to verify it but in earlier versions this helped some people with the unexplained crashing to the desktop.

Post #: 45
- 8/6/2001 3:41:00 AM   
Norm

I too have this problem where the game bombs out after the first mission. (yugo player) Thought it was my exceptionally bad performance... MegaCampaign unpatched SPWAW v6.1 without stereo sound update My system: Win2K Athon 700MHz: Epox 7KXA motherboard 256 MB PC133 RAM GeForce 2 GTS 32MB Soundblaster Live! 40 GB Maxtor IDE Regards, Norm

Post #: 46
- 8/6/2001 4:29:00 AM   
Supervisor

Norm: Check my posts (3) and Mike Woods on this page and lets us known if you have any success with them.

Post #: 47
- 8/6/2001 8:16:00 AM   
rdinardo

I have also experienced the feared "Yugoslav Player" bug. I just completed the 9th mission (maybe the eigth) with a draw, and for the ninth mission (Tobruk) I selected INCREASE IN TANKS (I was to receive Mk IIIs). When I attempted to start the scenario, I was receiving a series of OOB error messages. When the game finally brought me to my turn, I was given the "Yugoslave Player" prompt. When I saved the game at this point, it kicked me to the main menu. Whenever I try to reload the saved megacampaign, the game kicks me to the main menu. I am running version 6.1, and never had a problem running this game before. I have not changed anything on my machine (Gateway 450 MhZ, Pentium III, 256 meg of RAM, 20 gig hard drive, 8 meg Voodoo 3dfx graphics

Quinctilius Varus, Give Me Back My Legions!

Post #: 48
- 8/8/2001 3:54:00 AM   
AndyPGrant

Same problems as above. System spec. Gateway PC Pentium II 600MHz 128 MB ram Creative SB live sound card NVidia Riva TNT2 graphis card Would like some direction, fed up playing first battle. Now tried without success: starting from Mech.exe. Bill Wilder patch. Switched off sound options. Upgrading to version 5.01 Deleting Steel.prf file Noticed amoungest all this waste of time that the steel.prf file was recreated on restarting from a saved position? Also note that when I reach the continue from a saved position for battle 2 that there is NO option to choose an easy option or extra help. This link is not on the page now although it was there when I tried to continue straight on without saving. [ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Andypg ]

Post #: 49
- 8/9/2001 10:32:00 AM   
Pvt Snafu

I also have experienced the Yugoslavia problem and I just finished a clean install of windows 98SE. Geforce 2 MX with latest Nvidia drivers, SoundBlaster PCI128 with latest Creative drivers, etc. Mega Campaign is 5.3 with the 6.1 update. I also have MSVC6.0 and have been trying to get the mech.exe program to crash with debugging the process. If there is other information that I could possibly get from the debugger let me know. Bye

Post #: 50
- 8/10/2001 6:48:00 AM   
donoldskay

Got through 2nd & 3rd scenarios. When I attempted to move on to 4th scenario, I became Yugoslovian again and game crashed. Removed steel.prf file. Turned off all sound preferences. Tried again and moved on to "The Long Rd to Giof el Matar". Turned sound preferences back on and all is well at least until end of this scenario. Nice thing is that software awards me an additional 4 points everytime I have one of these failures. After 3 scenarios I have 20 points. Adolph will soon make me a Field Marshall at this rate. In spite of the difficulties, Desert Fox is great. I really enjoy having enough room to maneuver.

Post #: 51
- 8/10/2001 11:05:00 AM   
sg

I've got the same problem, after battle 1 I'm Yugoslavian...just posted a topic on this a little while ago and then I found this thread. My system is as follows: Intel pIII 733Mhz Abit Bx133-Raid Mother Bd. 128 Mb pc133 SDRAM Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16Mb Win 98 4.10.1998 Sound Blaster Live PCI Sony 48x CDRom Yamaha 8x/4x/24x Rewritable CDRom 3COM Ethernet WD 20 Gb C: drive WD 8.4 Gb D: drive (spwaw installed here) Ample free HD space, Spwaw ver6.1, Stereo sound updates, and MC scenario fixes. Never had a problem with Spwaw only since MC. Had "disk 2" failure when first installing MC. Was installing over existing install. Removed previous install and it worked fine till this problem. I have Save files from just before and just after the problem. Thanks, Steve.

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.

Post #: 52
- 8/10/2001 11:06:00 AM   
sg

I've got the same problem, after battle 1 I'm Yugoslavian...just posted a topic on this a little while ago and then I found this thread. My system is as follows: Intel pIII 733Mhz Abit Bx133-Raid Mother Bd. 128 Mb pc133 SDRAM Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16Mb Win 98 4.10.1998 Sound Blaster Live PCI Sony 48x CDRom Yamaha 8x/4x/24x Rewritable CDRom 3COM Ethernet WD 20 Gb C: drive WD 8.4 Gb D: drive (spwaw installed here) Ample free HD space, Spwaw ver6.1, Stereo sound updates, and MC scenario fixes. Never had a problem with Spwaw only since MC. Had "disk 2" failure when first installing MC. Was installing over existing install. Removed previous install and it worked fine till this problem. I have Save files from just before and just after the problem. Thanks, Steve.

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.

Post #: 53
- 8/10/2001 11:08:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Steve If you have saves just before and after then please send them to me with a complete list of your computer hardware and free Hard Drive space to davidh@matrixgames.com Thanks for your help.

Post #: 54
- 8/12/2001 12:48:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

OK We have made some changes and will have a beta patch ready in a couple days, I would like email it to a few of you who are having trouble withthe Yugo crash. If you would like to test it let me know - caveat testor - you should install the game fresh and update it to 6.1, then add this patch - drop me an email.

Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI