RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

pauk -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 12:00:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk
I found that extremely offending....

You GOT to be kidding? I've been called more offensive names on practically every forum I visit (not that I care anyway [:D]) + not to mention what I've been called on our local Croat forums.

Even if true, people say many things on the pitch - who cares? Had it been the other way round (Zidane insulting Materazzi, and Materazzi kicking him down) people will say "yeah we told you Sicilian dude is butcher" and no one would even try to find out what Zidane said to him. Now, the whole world is united in trying to find some reason for what Zidane did (and what was most unsportsamnlike episode of the whole damn tournament!)

Anyway, I'm just trying out my new avatar if you don't mind [:D]

Forza Italia!

No, i'm not kidding. Look, we are not the same persons. Some people have thin nerves (like Zidane), some have fat skin (like you[;)]) and some people are stupid (Materazzi) and some people are the scum (Materazzi again).

I'm not intend to defend Zidane - he got what he deserved. A professional like him who earned in one week more money then I will earn in 10 years should be prepared for that.

But, in the word we are living today (we all know what happend, right?), calling the names like Materazzi probably did is exstremely offending (he knows that, and he was well awared about Zinedine temper and that is why he said that).

Some people are sensitive about family, some about the religion etc... some people aren't. So just because you didn't sensitive about that doesn't mean that you (or any other) have a freedom to insult other (it was literatical form - didn't mean to you specifically)...

Once again, i agree that he shouldn't react like that, but when i wrote "found that offending" didn't mean on Zidane case - I mean it generally. I will stop here because it will go into something which Matrix consider as politics....

Just i will remind you that every action causes reaction. World today isn't like it was before 50 or 100 years ago and Westerns should be, IMHO, from time to time more sensitive about certain things. Just because we have "fat skin" doesn't means that others have....

Now, back to the topic... it was nice try to provocate me with this avatar, but look at this face - it is more than clear that his IQ is somewhere near my age... so i think that you doing damage to yourself[:D] (i have fat skin too[:D])

Of course that you don't mind about the names you have been called here and on local Croat forums... i don't care neither... you actually like when someone here puts fire on you because you can't wait to respond, right[;)]?

most unsportsamnlike episode? perhaps... but i won't exclude Portugese and Italians - just becaue they didn't hit anyone in the head doesn't means it isn't unsportsamnlike...and the only difference is that France (ZZ) is punished for that, while the Italy is awarded (penalty against Austraila). I'm not complaining, Italians were clever...(If you ask me it was French coach who lost the final when he put clown on the gates instead of Cupet)

Anyway, why are you now upset with unsportsamnlike? IIRC, you actually supported unsportsamnlike earlier in this thread? (except you are withdrawing your words )[:D]

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 1:20:18 PM)

Well the point is what one considers "unsportsmanlike" behavior? Neilster gave some good examples of rough, "manly" team sports, and I agree with him on that, and I agree in wishing football should become more manly and less wussy. BUT, if one really wishes for soccer to become more manly and less wussy, then players like Materazzi should be his heroes. This guy played one very good, solid, manly tournament from start to finish, EVEN scoring two goals (+ penalty kick, and he plays as defender). What more do you want a man to do to get some credit from you Italy-haters??? [&:] Except when hit by Zidane, I don't think he ever rolled on the ground, acting out as if hit by a truck. Vs. Zidane.... well, he had to make his point LOL [8D]

Having said that, do you really believe no one ever traded insults on a rugby field, or american football field, or ice hockey rink or <insert your manly sport of choice>. I think phrases like "I will rip your balls off faggot" are pretty common in any of the mentioned sports. Which I am fine with [;)]

Lets see what Materazzi did in final game:

- Got punished for one VERY dubious penalty kick (this, alone, would be enough to destroy the morale of most other players)

- He shrugs this off and comes back 15 minutes later with fantastic brave goal (the only "real" goal scored in the final game!)

- For the whole second half + extra time, he plays *great* defensive game, along with other Italian defenders, Cannavaro (the King!), Gattuso, Zambrotta + of course Buffon, stopping French attacks cold, and making French initiative pointless

- He manages to get the best French player sent off by merely TALKING BS [&o]

- Finally he scores in the penalty shootout

By any measure that's very impressive for one evening's work. What do you want a guy to do to give him some credit? Find a cure for AIDS?

So this tatooed Sicillian "butcher" outscored, outplayed AND outsmarted best players in the French team, including "great" Zidane. He gets my respect! [&o]

He's man of the match for me, no contest, hands down. Of course none of the double standard sissies and Italy-haters will ever admit that, but then again who cares? [:D]

<= my avatar sends you Big Kiss [sm=kiss.gif]

Pkunzipper -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 1:36:43 PM)

Fully agreed!

Only one point, he's from Lecce (Puglia), not Sicily! [;)]

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 1:49:14 PM)

Yes, Materazzi should get a medal for gettting "the best French player sent off by merely TALKING BS" [8|].
Nobody questions his sportive achievements. The goal was a very good one, although Barthez looked not very good in this scene too [;)]. Yes he also did a good defense after he recovered from the penalty he caused (which was 100% correct btw.)

quote:

<= my avatar sends you Big Kiss

I find it interesting how Materazzi thanked the mexican referee after the Germany - Italy game too [:D]
He seems to be in "big kisses" obviously.

[image]local://upfiles/2152/BD28DAD8AD7F4B90B19B27B5A6FACA93.jpg[/image]

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 1:55:21 PM)

Oh, just to make it clear, I'm not defending how Zidane reacted.

pauk -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 1:58:08 PM)

Oleg that is all very nice and that stuff (BTW i do agree that he was a man of the match) but please stop telling me what i think actually: [:D] (your problem is that is YOU who determines what other thinks, actually no listening/reading them[:D])

- I'm not Italy hater - actually i was pretty clear that Italy deserved WC

I'm a Materazzi hater, and you should know that there is a difference from playing manly (like Henry, Ronaldino...err trying to found just one Italian - could be Gatuzo?) and playing dirty and dangerous - like Materazzi play. He is a dangerous and should be banned from the football (this is my opinion based on Italian league, not WC performance i say again)..

So lets say that Materazzi play against you i just wondering what would you think after one of his well known brutal starts (i know what you are going to say - i'm not playing football[:'(])

Btw, it was really nice to watch Italy in WC in Korea/Japan [:D]

Neilster -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 2:47:21 PM)

quote:

I disagree with the part where he says Materazzi is "annoying bastard" though [:-]

This is the sort of thing I was talking about. Quagg quagg gack gack [:o]

[:D]

Cheers, Neilster

[image]local://upfiles/10515/A67A32B8AF4F49F890DB73EC774126A1.jpg[/image]

Neilster -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 3:59:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vyshka

How could one not like a game (Aussie Rules) where the referees where those lovely hats. ;)

For a hundred years the goal umpires wore black pants, white overcoats that looked suspiciously like lab coats and white, broad brimmed hats. They got rid of that uniform a couple of years ago because they said it was too old fashioned and kids didn't want to be goal umpires. What??? What's old fashioned about that get up? [:'(]

It was actually very practical. The goal umpires need to see one another because they wave white flags to signal the score, enabling each umpire to write it in a notebook for later confirmation (who said this caper was anachronistic?) and here the white coats helped when footy used to be played in typical drizzly, misty, winter Melbourne weather. The hats helped keep the rain out of one's eyes so as to observe the ball better. Now, due to global warming and half the games being played in blazing sunshine in front of scantily clad, bronzed supporters in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth, the goal umpires' main danger is sun stroke. The new uniform is probably something some pony-tailed, marketing "guru" named Iian thought would be a good idea and involves fluoro colours and stupid caps. Bah! Rubbish! [:-]

The same geniuses at AFL HQ decided that a quick buck could be made by putting numbers, poncy stripes and sponsors' logos on the previously all white field umpires uniforms. It was also assumed that this would make umpiring seem cooler for the kids but the numbers merely meant that angry supporters knew exactly which umpire to hate, and all of a sudden players were kicking the ball to the umpires, due to their uniforms now looking like player's guernseys. After much denial there was a problem to avoid embarrassing both themselves and sponsors, the League's solution was a complicated system of fluoro colours that changes week to week in an effort not to clash with player's footy jumpers. Brilliant! [:@]

Once a season they have "heritage round" where all the clubs play in historical jumpers, most of which look better than the current ones or those of the new teams which often involve ridiculous colours like aqua, mauve and puce and cheap, nasty devices like lightning bolts, all of which Iian probably suggested. The exceptions are the teams that refused to abandon their traditional colours and designs, which still look great. The umpires are all in their previous clobber and almost universally everyone says, "Don't the umpires look fabulous in their traditional gear." Ahem.

There's a saying about the actions of the overpaid buffoons at League headquarters. "If it ain't broke...break it". At least they didn't get rid of the best aspect of goal umpiring; the two hands like pistols signal for a goal. It rocks.

Cheers, Neilster

anarchyintheuk -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 5:54:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vyshka

How could one not like a game (Aussie Rules) where the referees where those lovely hats. ;)

For a hundred years the goal umpires wore black pants, white overcoats that looked suspiciously like lab coats and white, broad brimmed hats. They got rid of that uniform a couple of years ago because they said it was too old fashioned and kids didn't want to be goal umpires. What??? What's old fashioned about that get up? [:'(]

It was actually very practical. The goal umpires need to see one another because they wave white flags to signal the score, enabling each umpire to write it in a notebook for later confirmation (who said this caper was anachronistic?) and here the white coats helped when footy used to be played in typical drizzly, misty, winter Melbourne weather. The hats helped keep the rain out of one's eyes so as to observe the ball better. Now, due to global warming and half the games being played in blazing sunshine in front of scantily clad, bronzed supporters in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth, the goal umpires' main danger is sun stroke. The new uniform is probably something some pony-tailed, marketing "guru" named Iian thought would be a good idea and involves fluoro colours and stupid caps. Bah! Rubbish! [:-]

The same geniuses at AFL HQ decided that a quick buck could be made by putting numbers, poncy stripes and sponsors' logos and on the previously all white field umpires uniforms. It was also assumed that this would make umpiring seem cooler for the kids but the numbers merely meant that angry supporters knew exactly which umpire to hate, and all of a sudden players were kicking the ball to the umpires, due to their uniforms now looking like player's guernseys. After much denial there was a problem to avoid embarrassing both themselves and sponsors, the League's solution was a complicated system of fluoro colours that changes week to week in an effort not to clash with player's footy jumpers. Brilliant! [:@]

Once a season they have "heritage round" where all the clubs play in historical jumpers, most of which look better than the current ones or those of the new teams which often involve ridiculous colours like aqua, mauve and puce and cheap, nasty devices like lightning bolts, all of which Iian probably suggested. The exceptions are the teams that refused to abandon their traditional colours and designs, which still look great. The umpires are all in their previous clobber and almost universally everyone says, "Don't the umpires look fabulous in their traditional gear." Ahem.

There's a saying about the actions of the overpaid buffoons at League headquarters. "If it ain't broke...break it". At least they didn't get rid of the best aspect of goal umpiring; the two hands like pistols signal for a goal. It rocks.

Cheers, Neilster

It was a sad day when they got rid of the lab coats.

watchtower -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 8:02:49 PM)

Gosh this thread has got sooo heated and it's all over!!

So Euro 2008

1. England
2. Poland
3. Croatia

[:D][8D]

watchtower -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 8:05:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: watchtower

So Euro 2008

1. England
2. Poland
3. Croatia

BTW Forgot to say - Spent the final in "Little Venice" in North London with some Latin pals - what A great night - thought I was Italian for a bit[:D]
And so did she[:-]

pauk -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 8:08:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: watchtower

So Euro 2008

3. Croatia

I would buy you a more than one beer if this happens!
[;)]

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 8:26:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pkunzipper

Only one point, he's from Lecce (Puglia), not Sicily! [;)]

Ah, a Pugliese, on WC site there is incorrect information that he's Sicillian (he still stands on the FIFA WC 2006 front page as "latest scorer" which I find funny given all the outrage about Zidane - the fact that he scored the goal is almost forgotten) [:D]

watchtower -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 9:13:27 PM)

Your selling yourselves short mate -

Oh forgot to say 4. Ireland [&o]

Gen.Hoepner -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/11/2006 10:06:22 PM)

I'm quite sure the "Hero" isn't sicilian. Pugliese should be right, afaik.

Gen.Hoepner -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 12:00:07 AM)

following Oleg's theory....d'you like my new avatar? [:D]
"Idolo" in italian means Idol

Trigger Happy -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 1:01:25 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpG4AHlZrL4&search=materazzi

watchtower -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 2:24:50 AM)

Yeah it time for new avatars hmmm, been thinking about that - had my girls from the WAAF at the taj for too long...........

Charles2222 -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 8:29:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Yes, Materazzi should get a medal for gettting "the best French player sent off by merely TALKING BS" [8|].
Nobody questions his sportive achievements. The goal was a very good one, although Barthez looked not very good in this scene too [;)]. Yes he also did a good defense after he recovered from the penalty he caused (which was 100% correct btw.)

quote:

<= my avatar sends you Big Kiss

I find it interesting how Materazzi thanked the mexican referee after the Germany - Italy game too [:D]
He seems to be in "big kisses" obviously.

And I thought the San Antonio Spurs palms up in the air after every foul called was bad! Man, it's sickening. How can anyone watch a sport that does not score very much and has rubbish like that? What would happen if a ref retaliated on a player with some kind of force? I ask because that guy was just asking for it.

pauk -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 9:19:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trigger Happy

thanks for sharing this video.... it certainly does telling more about people who likes him then about himself[:D]

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 11:44:57 AM)

quote:

Says it all, this guy is a danger for his coplayers. What an a.. on the field.
but alos then one or other nice goal in the movie [;)]

Here is the top 5, from Italy btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq6HosVlskQ&mode=related&search=materazzi

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 11:52:27 AM)

quote:

How can anyone watch a sport that does not score very much and has rubbish like that?

Not all people need to watch 48 minutes for an 99:98 outcome, sport is not defined by "much scoring", football has a lot of tension and tactics whihc people that havn't played or have no clue about football don't understand.

Rubbish happens in every sport. Best example, Baseball [;)]

JamesM -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 2:05:59 PM)

This world cup was probably one of the worse advertisements for football in relation to the non-football followers. The reasons are I feel:

• The shear number of red cards issued (4 in one match Holland v Portugal);
• Some teams seamed to be more interested in trying to get opposition players sent off then using their skill to win matches;
• The shear number of players diving; and
• In the knock out stage the teams are too scared of losing instead of trying to win games (I know it is high pressure but how satisfying deep down would it be to the players when they know that they could not best their opponents (that is what all sports are essentially about) that they have to win via a lottery of a penalty shootout).

Charles2222 -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 2:28:18 PM)

Just make them play until they drop [:D]. Whoever scores first after regulation wins. What american football calls sudden-death. It wouldn't be so bad if they had at least four goals apiece, but only one? I guess it could have been worse and there could had been a complete shutout until the free kicks.

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 2:41:32 PM)

Actually there was a "golden goal" (sudden death) regulation for a time. For example in 1996 Germany did win the European championships with a "golden goal" by Oliver Bierhoff.

I never understood why they cancelled that rule. I found it pretty good.

Neilster -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 2:45:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

• In the knock out stage the teams are too scared of losing instead of trying to win games (I know it is high pressure but how satisfying deep down would it be to the players when they know that they could not best their opponents (that is what all sports are essentially about) that they have to win via a lottery of a penalty shootout).

Yep. IMHO France was clearly the better team in the final but lost. This is a clear problem with the sport in knock-out style competitions. Football's scoring style works better over a long season where the external factors like poor refereeing decisions and weather tend to even out and there is a larger sample of games with which to decide the final rankings.

In a knock-out competition, the less scoring there is, the more likely it is that the team that didn't dominate the game actually wins, and it's hard to think of a sport with less scoring than football in the later rounds of the World Cup. [:D]

Yet there are more and more of these types of competitions in football because they can be played in a relatively short time and generate wide interest. A dilemma.

Here's the bit where I singlehandedly fix football's problems, guaranteeing my place in history. [:'(]

Introduce the equivalent of basketball's 3 point line. Probably a box or maybe a curved line as in basketball. Goals kicked outside it are worth 2 (or 1.5 or something, but that gets a bit messy).

A double-goal would be devastating so the defences would have to spread out more to try to prevent them, leaving more room inside for conventional goals too. The best goals are the long bombs anyway and this would encourage them. You'd have more scoring and new tactics. A team behind by 2 with 1 minute to go is still in the game if they can get a "fast break" which nets a double-goal.

It'll never happen though. "What about all the old records?", I hear you say. Well, they used to score heaps more in the past anyway. The 3-point line revolutionized basketball and no sport is immune to change. Surely this has been proposed before?

Either that or get rid of the goalies. [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 4:22:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

Says it all, this guy is a danger for his coplayers. What an a.. on the field.
but alos then one or other nice goal in the movie [;)]

Hey **** happens....

Someone posted a list of all 13 or 14 red cards Zidane got during his career - do you think purpose-built video compilation of his 14 ugly moves & red cards would be any nicer to watch? I don't think so.

I shudder at the thought of someone making the video compilation of my worst moves in PBEM wargames too [:D] [:D] [:D]

Materazzi is a defender, I expect him to play ugly from time to time - that's why there are yellow and red cards in football (that are, if anything, overused).

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 4:25:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

And I thought the San Antonio Spurs palms up in the air after every foul called was bad! Man, it's sickening. How can anyone watch a sport that does not score very much and has rubbish like that? What would happen if a ref retaliated on a player with some kind of force? I ask because that guy was just asking for it.

Rubbish? I definitely do agree 80% of modern top level soccer IS rubbish but come on, this picture is pure fun!

I already said long ago in this thread one has to watch football not as sport, but as some strange mixture of bad drama, funny opera + one (small) part sport. Once you get in the required state of mind it's fun, otherwise you just wonder what's it all about....

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 4:32:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

It'll never happen though. "What about all the old records?", I hear you say. Well, they used to score heaps more in the past anyway. The 3-point line revolutionized basketball and no sport is immune to change. Surely this has been proposed before?

Either that or get rid of the goalies. [:'(]

My proposals:

- Get rid of the offside rule
- Injured or "injured" dude is pushed off the field immediatelly and he cannot return for 10 or 15 minutes
- Red card for diving
- More substitutes allowed
- Introduce "pure time" played, ie when the ball is out of the play game clock does not move, as in almost every other serious sport on the planet (I assume 2 x 30 minutes would then cover all play we now have in 2 x 45, and then some)

It will never happen though.

Marc von Martial -> RE: 2006 World Soccer Championships in Germany (7/12/2006 5:20:39 PM)

quote:

Materazzi is a defender, I expect him to play ugly from time to time - that's why there are yellow and red cards in football (that are, if anything, overused).

Come on Oleg, the stuff in the video is not simple dirty fouls a defender "must do". It is kicks in the nuts, stomach, elbow checks in the face, kicks on the knees and the like. I'm far from saying the football is no contact sport and Iīm also not a big fan of the rule that charging from the sides/rear are automatically a yellow card. But things shown in this video belong to bar fights, not sports. Almost 2/3 of the actions shown in the video a crystal clear red cards with a 2-4 game penalty. Not simple "fouls". He takes into account that the player of the other team can be so badly hurt that it ends his carrer.

Yep, a video of Zidanes 14 or so red cards would be something equal, but that is not the point [;)]

Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI