Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 2:12:57 AM)

This post lists U.S. & Canadian combat LCU's in Pacific theatres and the U.S/Canadian mainland (excluding base forces and engineering units) with their current locations. LCU's stuck on Pago Pago/Upolu/Savaii are not included here as they are "temporarily" unavailable for operations in the near future.

Prince Rupert: 15 Canadian Brigade
Vancouver 13, 19 & 20 Canadian Brigades
Victoria: 14 Canadian Brigade
San Francisco: 4 Marine Division, HQ V Amphibious Force, 191 Artillery Group,
XIV Corps Artillery, 763 & 767 Tank Bns, 708 Armored Amphib Bn,
30, 40, & 144 FA Rgts, 1 USMC Armored Amphib Bn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anchorage: 4 RCT
Kodiak: 153 RCT
Dutch Harbor: 37 & 58 RCT
Adak: 138 & 279 RCT
Amchitka: 53 & 159 RCT
Attu Is: 201 RCT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pearl Harbor: 24th & 25th Infantry Divisions, HQ I Corps, 34 Combat Engr Rgt,
72 & 183 FA Rgts, 198 FA Bn, 640 TD Bn
Hilo: 4 USMC Para Bn, 188 FA Rgt
Kona: 33rd Infantry Division, 2 USMC Para Bn, 2 USMC Raider Bn
Johnston Is: 125 &140 RCT
Laysan Is: 198 RCT
Midway: 111 & 197 RCT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palmyra: 7th Infantry Division, 161 RCT, 4 USMC Raider Bn,
HQ’s V Amphib & XIV Corps, 641 TD Bn
Washington Is: 2 Philippine Rgt
Fanning Is: 1 Philippine Div, 150 RCT, 754 Tank Bn
Christmas Is: 112 Cavalry Rgt, 102 RCT
Jarvis Is: 3 USMC Raider Bn, 3 USMC Para Bn

Penhryn Is: 2 Marine Division, 503 Para Rgt, 24 & 298 RCT, 1 USMC Raider Bn,
1 USMC Para Bn, 19 Combat Engr Rgt, 1 USMC Medium Tank Bn
Papaete: 33 & 147 RCT
Aitutaki: 5 & 158 RCT

U.S. reinforcements due to enter game within 120 Days: 6th Marine Division, four U.S. Army divisions, one RCT, two Corps HQ’s, one Amphibious Force HQ, two Corps Artillery LCU’s, one Artillery Group, three Tank Bns, three TD Bns, one USMC Armored Amphib Bn

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 2:14:40 AM)

This post lists Australian & New Zealand combat LCU's. This list also excludes base force and engineering units.

Auckland: Fiji Infantry Brigade; 1, 8 & 14 NZ Brigades, 1 NZ Cavalry Brigade
Gisborne: 2 NZ Cavalry Brigade
Wellington: 2 NZ Brigade, Norfolk Is Force
Christchurch: 3 NZ Brigade, 3 NZ Cavalry Brigade

Adelaide: 6 Australian Cavalry Brigade
Melbourne: 9th Australian Division AIF, Sparrow Force Bn, 2/6 Armored Rgt,
Makassar Garrison Bn (Dutch)
Sydney: 2nd Australian Division
Newcastle: NGVR Infantry Bn
Brisbane: 7 Australian Brigade
Rockhampton: 29 Australian Brigade
Townsville: 1st Australian Division
Cairns: 1st Australian Cavalry Division

Cooktown: US 40th Infantry Division; 11, 22 AIF, 27 AIF, 31 Australian Brigades;
Lark Force Bn, 2/5 Independent Co, HQ US III Corps, US 148 FA Bn, US 82 CM Bn, 1 1 Australian Artillery Rgt, 3 Australian AT Rgt, 4 Australian Tank Rgt, 2 & 3 Australian Tank Bns, 2/4 & 2/8 Armored Rgts, US 632 TD Bn
Coen: 1 Australian Motor Brigade, 2/1 & 2/3 Independent Cos

LCU’s in Cooktown and Coen plus 32 Australian Brigade now prepping for attack on Jap base at Portland Roads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennant Creek: 3rd & 4th Australian Divisions, 2nd Australian Cavalry Division, 23 Australian Brigade AIF, 31 US RCT,
4 USMC Rgt, Gull Force Bn, 2/2 & 2/4 Independent Cos, HQ I Australian Corps, HQ Australian 1st Army, 131 US FA Bn,
147 US FA Rgt; 1, 2, 101 & 106 Australian AT Rgts, 2/9 Armored Rgt, 1 Australian Army Tank Bn

Perth: 6th Australian Division AIF, 3 Australian Brigade
Geraldton: 13 Australian Brigade

7th Australian Division AIF located at Colombo

Australian/NZ combat LCU reinforcements due to enter game within 120 Days: none

Canoerebel -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 2:53:51 PM)

For what they're worth, additional thoughts:

1.  You have all kinds of troops available in CenPac and NoPac, going by the roster you posted.  Start planning how to get them to the main staging point or points.  Do it quietly, of course!

2.  The success of an operation like this depends upon surprise and the enemy being unprepared.  You should carefully monitor and record SigInt sightings of troops on Hokkaido, Kuriles, Sikhalin Island, and (if he holds any) the Aleutians.  If he's clearly prepared or clearly expecting an attack, you may have to scrap the plan.  Have a backup, because you'll want to strike somewhere else (in that event, something's tipped his hand and you can continue to give the appearance that you're coming when in fact you're looking somewhere else, maybe far far away).

3.  You can get some useful intel just by the size of the bases.  If your opponent is building (or has built) the Sikhalin bases, he may be expecting trouble.  But if they're small and from all appearances undefended or lightly defended, your plan should work.  Rely upon that info and SigInt; don't begin an obvious buildup or recon flights or send ships that way; don't do ANYTHING that will altert your opponent to your intentions.  A small and poorly organized surprise attack against an unprepared enemy can often succeed where a massive, well-prepared invasion against a prepared enemy would fail.

4.  You need surprise and you need to move quickly.  If your opponent is unprepared, I'd have my invasion armada set to hit the beaches by March 1 (or as soon as I can possibly have my troops loaded and the ships sent to the Bering Sea vicinity.  It's mid-December, so you might can do it if you hurry.

5.  For whatever reason, a Jap player who isn't expecting a NoPac attack will still have Paramushiro defended.  It just seems like an "obvious" target.  Don't get bogged down in an opposed landing.  If it appears defended, bypass Paramushiro and look instead to Sikhalin (two big bases there), one or two or three or more of the Kuriles (they are likely undefended and of little use to your opponent, but landing there creates a sense of mayhem for the Japs and gives you a little buffer zone to work with).  Tiny fragments of an RCT should be sufficient to take undefended Kuriles.  In the Mod I play Onnekotan Jima is also a good target as it can be built up to rival Paramushiro.  If not already held, the western Aleutians bases are important too.  If already held, don't start building them yet, but build quickly as soon as D-Day begins.

6.  If you are successful, your opponent is in deep do-do.  You'll be able to build big bases (two on Sikhalin, and possbily Onnekotan too).  Your flank and supply line will be protected by big bases in the western Aleutians.  And in short order you'll have big air bases operational just as B-29s become available to the Allies.  Of course, bring engineers and sufficient supplies (500k is my guesstimate) to allow you to get things up and running quickly and then operate until you get supply convoys working.

7.   A massive strike like this is going to panic your opponent and he's going to turn all his attention this way.  It will create a sudden vaccuum elsewhere on the map.  Be prepared to take advantage of that vaccuum by invading other places in SoPac, SWPac, etc.  You probably want to adopt the island hopping campaign, avoiding strongly held Jap bases in favor of lightly held bases that can be built up.

8.  Creating noise elsewhere just PRIOR to your NoPac invasion should also throw the Japs off balance and add to the sense of mayhem.  The Brits and Aussies should be prepared to engage in separate or combined invasions that will be a threat to the Japs.  The DEI (Timor, Java, Sumatra) are obvious targets.  The sudden vaccum effect created by the Sikhalin invasion may benefit you down here.  If things get to hot for the main invasion, you may also want to have a separate smaller force set to hit somewhere else - Ambon?  Ceram?  Some lightly defended but buildable western New Guinea base?

9.  Remember to have the Chinese striking to just before all the (*#(@#$& hits the fan to further rattle your opponent.

10.  I am not familiar with the particulars of your game, so reject all or parts of my plan if you know there are problems with it.  But the point is you should be developing a massive, well-coordinated campaigns that will throw the enemy into confusion and allow you to get big, mutually supporting bases within range of key Japanese targets (Home Islands or the big DEI oil/resource centers).

11.  In the meantime, keep up appearances at Pago Pago.  If you aren't able to get the upper hand before then, the vaccuum effect of Sikhalin invasion ought to allow you to take control here and salvage the situation.  You DON'T want to lose ten divisions that are here.

12.  Don't risk a major carrier defeat before the invasion.  You need (and will have) a huge number of carriers by March 1944.  You'll really be able to go anywhere you want at least one time (and more than once if you win any ensuing carrier battles). 

13.  If you have carrier superiority or parity, if Sikhalin is essentially undefended or very lightly defended, and if you bring the kitchen sink including supplies, you will win.  Your opponent cannot stop you, and thirty days later you'll have two big air bases operational and flying P-38s, Corsairs, B-24s, and B-29s.  Your opponent will be doing the shivering.  While that's going on right at his doorstep, all other areas suddenly become a backwater (at least until your opponent regains his equilibrium) so that you should be able to advance rather rapidly.  Don't waste your time advancing step-by-step on the far reaches of the Jap perimter.  Ignore his perimeter and head toward his underbelly, leaving his perimater to become a useless frontier that withers away from irrelevance.

14.  Good luck!

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 6:03:43 PM)

For what they're worth, additional thoughts:

quote:

1.  You have all kinds of troops available in CenPac and NoPac, going by the roster you posted.  Start planning how to get them to the main staging point or points.  Do it quietly, of course!

Starting to move them should not be a great problem. Despite the transport and landing craft losses at Pago Pago, there's still enough Allied shipping in the Pacific theatres to pick up and move troops and cargo. Just a matter of getting transports to where they're needed when they're needed. For security purposes, I intend to route transport convoys well to the rear or at least far enough back where there's little or no possibility of Japanese detection in any form.

quote:

2.  The success of an operation like this depends upon surprise and the enemy being unprepared.  You should carefully monitor and record SigInt sightings of troops on Hokkaido, Kuriles, Sikhalin Island, and (if he holds any) the Aleutians.  If he's clearly prepared or clearly expecting an attack, you may have to scrap the plan.  Have a backup, because you'll want to strike somewhere else (in that event, something's tipped his hand and you can continue to give the appearance that you're coming when in fact you're looking somewhere else, maybe far far away).!

I've been keeping detailed information (spreadsheet) of the full roster of known Japanese LCU's going back to 12/41, this list including identities of units, their last known location, and the date (game turn) when they were known to be there. Information for this list was obtained mainly from Sigint, also from ground combat and ground attack air strike AAR's. Making a long story short... if I saw it, it's on the record.

Another practice I've done mainly in Burma, NW Australia and China is launching small ground attack air strikes on detected Jap LCU's within range of Allied planes that are seen moving (along rail lines, etc) between their bases. Not so much for a few Jap casualties, it's the intel value. Anything that get hit goes into the list. Recent larger scale low-level ground attack strikes into Jap bases in NW Australia and interior areas of Burma also do the job - getting more Jap LCU information, plus these strikes actually inflict Jap casualties.

My estimate is at any given time my Jap LCU "listing" is 95%+ complete and 80% or so accurate. Accuracy of the known location for a Jap LCU can be readily gauged by how "old" the information is, also how many times this LCU has been sighted in the same location.

From my Jap LCU list it is easily concluded that Pillager has stripped garrisons in Manchuria and Korea to the bare minimum (do I wish I had the Russians right now). Most of these troops have reappeared in bases all over the Pacific - their new locations all recorded on the list. The information here very heavily supports your recommendation on not attacking atolls.

Santa has his list (of good and bad Jap LCU's) - now just a matter of time before Christmas.

quote:

3. You can get some useful intel just by the size of the bases.  If your opponent is building (or has built) the Sikhalin bases, he may be expecting trouble.  But if they're small and from all appearances undefended or lightly defended, your plan should work.  Rely upon that info and SigInt; don't begin an obvious buildup or recon flights or send ships that way; don't do ANYTHING that will altert your opponent to your intentions.  A small and poorly organized surprise attack against an unprepared enemy can often succeed where a massive, well-prepared invasion against a prepared enemy would fail.

I have monitored Jap base sizes to some extent. Pillager seems to build the ones he's using to their max sizes.

I did look over sizes of the Jap northern bases. Other than a slight adding to the airfield size of Paramushiro, Pillager does not appear to have done much in the way of base construction in this region.

As you probably have seen, I've been launching occasional small 4E bomber raids from Attu against Paramushiro - mainly as nuisance raids. I can continue these raids but will not change their size or composition (maintain same number and types of planes) or the time interval between raids.

Pillager has been sending almost daily recon flights over Attu. I don't see that as a major problem in launching a surprise northern campaign. I will simply not use Attu as a staging point. Kiska is already built up and adjacent islands in the Aleutians to the east of Kiska will work for this. I have a very large base up at Adak - this base has superceded both Anchorage and Dutch Harbor as the primary U.S. base in the North Pacific theatre. All northern HQ's already on Adak, along with quantities of supply, fuel, LBA, and base force LCU's. Adak is already supporting submarine ops.

Ship traffic into the Aleutians has been moving almost entirely due west into the area primarily from Seattle. Also no U.S. warships have been operating in the North Pacific. This appearance can be maintained for the most part with two measures - (1) Movement routes of all U.S. shipping moving into the North Pacific area can be done so they appear to be "coming from Seattle". It may add a extra "dogleg" to my ship movements but if it helps the deception, the better. (2) Limit ship traffic into the North Pacific to transport ships. Keep warships and landing craft out of the North Pacific theatre (or at least far enough to the rear inside this area) until the last possible moment.

I will likely send some U.S. surface ASW into the North Pacific area to deal with Jap subs. ASW operations for me in WitP have been quite successful - Pillager is well aware of my basic doctrine, "see it, whack it, sink it". He hasn't sent Jap subs into Allied controlled sea areas for some time, most of the ones he sent before did not come back once they were detected.

Pago Pago was a nasty lession in not having surprise (though in that situation surprise was impossible) and in not having sufficient force to capture what you are landing on. That's how ten U.S. divisions got marooned. There is quite a bit of material on amphibious ops in the forums and I looked at it - however, direct experience being no substitute for research (though research is useful). I've done very little in the way of amphibious ops in WitP and the mechanics of execution a bit daunting even with all the research.

quote:

4.  You need surprise and you need to move quickly.  If your opponent is unprepared, I'd have my invasion armada set to hit the beaches by March 1 (or as soon as I can possibly have my troops loaded and the ships sent to the Bering Sea vicinity.  It's mid-December, so you might can do it if you hurry.

Completely agree. The only question I'd have on a March timeframe is how dependent for success of the operation will be on arriving U.S. division LCU reinforcements between now and March or April '44. Including U.S. Pacific theatre divisions in the game not stuck on Pago Pago and anticipated arrivals of U.S. divisions in the next 120 game turns (this by early 4/44), I will be back up to a total of ten divisions available by March-April '44. Do also have to keep in account I have a considerable number of RCT's on hand - these are no doubt useful as well. An late March, early April invasion date in the north may be more practical if U.S. LCU's entering as reinforcements are needed.

A point either you or Feinder made earlier... a second attack to divert Pillager's attention, preferably shortly before the attack in the north. A second attack could be decisive.

I'm still assessing what I have on hand in Australia and India, and how much of it can be collected for an invasion of the DEI. Though what is increasingly important is launching an expedition into the DEI, however big or small it might be, and at whatever location it hits. My biggest concern is lack of a British carrier force - wherever these guys go into the DEI, they're doing it with no air cover.

Completing the planned ground attack on Portland Roads accomplishes several things to the overall scheme - (1) it clears the Japs out of NE Australia. (2) it frees up Australian and U.S. ground troops for a DEI offensive. (3) I can throw a few bombers at Port Moresby - not as a serious exercise but to put out some more smoke and mirrors.

An Allied presence will have to be kept in NW Australia, also along the Burma-India frontier. These two areas and what needs to be kept there will have some effect on how much LCU strength will be on hand for a DEI operation.

quote:

5. For whatever reason, a Jap player who isn't expecting a NoPac attack will still have Paramushiro defended.  It just seems like an "obvious" target.  Don't get bogged down in an opposed landing.  If it appears defended, bypass Paramushiro and look instead to Sikhalin (two big bases there), one or two or three or more of the Kuriles (they are likely undefended and of little use to your opponent, but landing there creates a sense of mayhem for the Japs and gives you a little buffer zone to work with).  Tiny fragments of an RCT should be sufficient to take undefended Kuriles.  In the Mod I play Onnekotan Jima is also a good target as it can be built up to rival Paramushiro.  If not already held, the western Aleutians bases are important too.  If already held, don't start building them yet, but build quickly as soon as D-Day begins.

All western Aleutian bases are in Allied control. Many of them already built up and garrisoned some time ago - Pillager is likely aware of this. Stockpiling of troops, supply, and LCU's in the Aleutians still has to be done carefully but a built-up, garrisoned island in the western Aleutians should not be a big surprise to Pillager as long as things are carried out slowly and carefully. Movement of U.S. ships entering the Aleutians (particularly the western Aleutians) will need to done carefully. Ships cannot remain or be based there, until the final moments before a northern attack begins, they will have to enter the area, unload, and leave.

Movement of TF's in a northern invasion force will likely have all landing TF's (regardless of destination) initially moving together as a stack, topped off with CVE's, shore bombardment, and the main Carrier force. At some point (probably near Paramushiro), the various invasion TF's will disperse from the stack to complete final approach to their destinations. Though Pillager has seen me perform this maneuver - both Pago Pago landing operations, I also use it with submarine patrol TF's where I'm sending multiple subs together into the same general area.

I would see advantages of this mode of ship movement as obscuring the actual number and composition of ships (the stack formation appearing as a pile of TF's), also making it difficult if not impossible to determine how many target(s) of this force and exactly who is going where until the final approach to their objective(s).

As you probably saw, I have lots of RCT's available.

quote:

6. If you are successful, your opponent is in deep do-do.  You'll be able to build big bases (two on Sikhalin, and possbily Onnekotan too).  Your flank and supply line will be protected by big bases in the western Aleutians.  And in short order you'll have big air bases operational just as B-29s become available to the Allies.  Of course, bring engineers and sufficient supplies (500k is my guesstimate) to allow you to get things up and running quickly and then operate until you get supply convoys working.

Agree, and can discuss this further.

I'm working on an inventory of U.S. bomber squadrons/groups already in the game to identify those that upgrade to B-29's. So far, two are based in Australia (Melbourne, both these evacuated from the Philippines and now with B-17D's), a third squadron enroute to Australia now with B-18's, another squadron on Johnston Is, and one or two more still in the U.S. A priority may to collect them in a central location for upgrading as soon as sufficient B-29's appear in the replacement pools and deployment immediately thereafter.

quote:

7.  A massive strike like this is going to panic your opponent and he's going to turn all his attention this way.  It will create a sudden vaccuum elsewhere on the map.  Be prepared to take advantage of that vaccuum by invading other places in SoPac, SWPac, etc.  You probably want to adopt the island hopping campaign, avoiding strongly held Jap bases in favor of lightly held bases that can be built up.

Island hopping through Pillager's outer perimeter is going to be difficult, likely even with a diversion and a successful attack in the north. Available U.S. combat LCU's will be in somewhat short supply at least for a time following a northern offensive though reinforcements will mitigate this. The line of major Jap bases forming Pillager's outer perimeter (Wake - Kwajalein - Canton - Pago Pago - Suva - Noumea - Port Moresby) is well-interlocking with few or no good avenues of approach. My best possibilities for island hopping through the outer perimeter would be the Marshalls (if not heavily defended) or Solomons (Pillager appears to be considering this the "rear area" with Noumea and Port Moresby preventing any serious approach).

Island hopping through the eastern DEI and adjacent area could be useful as well. This covers what you mentioned in (8) below and can also isolate Jap positions in Darwin and NW Australia (leaving 30+ Jap LCU's high and dry).

quote:

8. Creating noise elsewhere just PRIOR to your NoPac invasion should also throw the Japs off balance and add to the sense of mayhem.  The Brits and Aussies should be prepared to engage in separate or combined invasions that will be a threat to the Japs.  The DEI (Timor, Java, Sumatra) are obvious targets.  The sudden vaccum effect created by the Sikhalin invasion may benefit you down here.  If things get to hot for the main invasion, you may also want to have a separate smaller force set to hit somewhere else - Ambon?  Ceram?  Some lightly defended but buildable western New Guinea base?

9.  Remember to have the Chinese striking to just before all the (*#(@#$& hits the fan to further rattle your opponent.

China is pretty bad news. Chinese LCU's are badly run down, no offensive capability or the supply to support them. The best it appears I can do in China is to defend - keep the Japanese army in China tied down in China. Not much here to help the big picture.

quote:

10. I am not familiar with the particulars of your game, so reject all or parts of my plan if you know there are problems with it.  But the point is you should be developing a massive, well-coordinated campaigns that will throw the enemy into confusion and allow you to get big, mutually supporting bases within range of key Japanese targets (Home Islands or the big DEI oil/resource centers).

Keep in touch. If you have any questions or to see a map of something, holler.

quote:

11. In the meantime, keep up appearances at Pago Pago. If you aren't able to get the upper hand before then, the vaccuum effect of Sikhalin invasion ought to allow you to take control here and salvage the situation.  You DON'T want to lose ten divisions that are here.

As far as Pago Pago goes, I'm planning whatever ops are needed to get an operational airfield on Pago Pago. Getting U.S. LBA flying out of Pago Pago would be give the Japanese a little bit of a problem, also it convincingly keeps up appearances.

I plan on keeping the main U.S. carrier force in the South Pacific (operating out of Penhryn) until the last possible moment before a northern offensive (I'm anticipating U.S. carriers to be the final component arriving in the Aleutians immediately before the offensive begins). Value of keeping U.S. carriers here is (1) they're needed to provide air cover to transports going to Pago Pago and (2) they keep Pillager's attention rivetted down there, along with the KB.

quote:

12. Don't risk a major carrier defeat before the invasion. You need (and will have) a huge number of carriers by March 1944. You'll really be able to go anywhere you want at least one time (and more than once if you win any ensuing carrier battles).

My carrier doctrine throughout this match has been to engage in carrier vs carrier action only in cases where it is to the U.S. advantage. Hasn't happened yet but it will. I've been patient (three years in real time) and intend to continue doing so. I've been watching for good opportunities to strike or a mistake on Pillager's part - when it happens, then we hit. Carriers are like the queen in a chess game, you have to use it, but you only have one.

quote:

13.  If you have carrier superiority or parity, if Sikhalin is essentially undefended or very lightly defended, and if you bring the kitchen sink including supplies, you will win.  Your opponent cannot stop you, and thirty days later you'll have two big air bases operational and flying P-38s, Corsairs, B-24s, and B-29s.  Your opponent will be doing the shivering.  While that's going on right at his doorstep, all other areas suddenly become a backwater (at least until your opponent regains his equilibrium) so that you should be able to advance rather rapidly.  Don't waste your time advancing step-by-step on the far reaches of the Jap perimter.  Ignore his perimeter and head toward his underbelly, leaving his perimater to become a useless frontier that withers away from irrelevance.

I would estimate carrier parity as of now, especially as no major U.S. or Japanese carriers have been sunk to date. All Allied losses have been CVE's and the British.

quote:

14.  Good luck!

Thanks.

Canoerebel -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 6:36:30 PM)

Sounds like you have a good handle on things.

It also sounds like you think Sikhalin's bases are undefended or lightly defended?  If that's the case, you might want to REALLY do something radical that would have an even higher chance of success:

1.  Ordinarily, winter invasions against defended positions in the Arctic are impossible because disruption is nearly 100%.  IE, you send in a division against a Naval Guard unit, but your division takes 95% disruption and can't take the position.   However, if the base is unguarded or essentially unguarded (meaning you have overwhelming force against light opposition), you can take the base and, in turn, you opponent CAN'T COUNTERATTACK because of the same disruption problems.   This is what I did in my game with John III.  With just a scattering of troops, I managed to take the Sikahlin bases, Onnekotan, and some Kuriles.  He tried to counterinvade Onnekotan, which was very lightly defended, but his attack failed miserably due to winter conditions. 

2.  So, if you were to TAKE the Sikhalin bases in, say, January or early February, your opponent couldn't counterattack until March 1 (or if he did you'd perish from laughing at the magnitude of his blunder).  So you'd get FREE TIME to consolidate your position, begin building forts and airfield, and organize things for the future.

3.  IF the Sikhalin bases are open or lightly defended, you might cobble together something that could take it and hold it until you bring in the reinforcements.  A division or two and a few RCTs might be enough, but the more you could bring on short notice the better.

4.  The advantage to moving so quickly is that you increase the likelihood that your opponent doesn't realize what's going on, and so isn't reinforcing.  Right now he might be chuckling over Pago Pago and correctly reading the lay of the land to indicate that there's no threat to Sikhalin.  But if you move quickly, you might catch him totally flat-footed at a time (winter) he doesn't think an invasion is really possible.  Speed could be everything, as Stonewall Jackson would say.

5.  I'm a Bulldog, you're a Gator, so I think it's appropriate that I'm giving YOU advice.  BradfordKay will back me up on this.  Gators eat boogers!

DW -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/10/43 (5/22/2009 8:28:55 PM)

Why do you consider the LCUs on Upolu "stuck" there?

You don't need to control the base to lift troops off of the atoll.

I've lifted troops off and unfriendly beach (Truk) in a game against the AAR, Canoerebel did it when his invasion of Hokkaido didn't work out as planned and I've seen it done in plenty of other AARs.

In my game against the AAR I mentioned above, I was experimenting with attacking a well defended atoll and ran into much the same scenario that you've encountered, with the LCUs decimated by shock attacks on landing. When it was clear they couldn't take the base any time soon, I pulled two divisions off, sent them down to Brisbane to rebuild. While they were rebuilding I kept Truk isolated and bombed/bombarded/shelled the piss out of it. When the LCUs had recovered sufficiently, I sent them back to Truk and took the base.

You're strong enough in the area where you should be able to gain local air superiority, especially once you get the airfields on Savaii up and running.

If you're wary about sending AP-AK to the beaches at Upolu, although once you've gained local air superiority there's no real reason for you to be so, then spawn some barges at Pago Pago. Send them over to Upolu, lift off troops, unload them at Pago Pago and keep repeating until all the troops you want removed are off the atoll. Then, from Pago Pago you can load them onto AP/AK and send them somewhere to rebuild.

I know you're interested in keeping the area around Pago Pago active to draw your opponents interest and resources, but I think you can maintain your subterfuge without having a bunch of divisions stranded on Upolu.

Get 'em out of there.

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/22/2009 9:47:09 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/11/43

North Pacific: Jap recon flight over Attu Is. Otherwise quiet.

Central Pacific: U.S. subs near Kwajalein, Canton Is area continue reporting no detected Jap air patrols. Same level of Jap air patrol activity and plane composition reported by U.S. subs off Japanese home islands. No reported contacts between U.S. subs and Japanese surface ships or ASW in any of the above locations.

5 Japanese ships detected at anchor in Truk base, no report of ships at Kwajalein.
215 ships detected in port at Tokyo.

F-5A recon over Canton Is reporting 23 aircraft, 15 Jap LCU's.

Pago Pago, Day 86 of the Fiasco: Weather forecast for Pago Pago area is continued overcast.

U.S. Carrier Main Force arrives at Penryhn Is - replenishing and replacing a small number of destroyed F6F's. Otherwise, carrier forces fully operational beyond some ships needing refit.

KB remains SE of Wallis Is, detected moving on NW heading.

Japanese surface TF enters Pago Pago base - attacks remaining U.S. transports in Pago Pago, also bombards Pago Pago base. AAR's follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Pago Pago at 96,113

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Mutsu
CL Kuma, Shell hits 1
CL Tama
DD Shigure
DD Murasame
DD Wakaba
DD Ariake

Allied Ships
TK Gulfbreeze, Shell hits 19, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AK Joseph K. Toole, Shell hits 37, and is sunk
AK Peter V. Daniel, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Pago Pago at 96,113

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Mutsu
CL Kuma
CL Tama
DD Shigure
DD Murasame
DD Wakaba
DD Ariake

Allied Ships
AK Jefferson Davis, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

Naval bombardment of Pago Pago, at 96,113 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

43 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Ariake
DD Wakaba
DD Murasame
DD Shigure
CL Tama
CL Kuma
BB Mutsu, Shell hits 11
BB Nagato

Allied ground losses:
502 casualties reported
Guns lost 18
Vehicles lost 2

Naval bombardment of Pago Pago, at 96,113

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Isonami
DD Shirakumo
DD Shinonome
DD Fubuki
CL Tenryu
CL Kiso
BB Musashi
BB Yamato

Allied ground losses:
708 casualties reported
Guns lost 17
Vehicles lost 5

Runway hits 1
Port hits 4

Current status of Pago Pago base - runway damage 99, airfield service damage 76, port damage 2.
Current status of Savaii base - runway damage 99, airfield service damage 100, port damage 9.

Jap recon flight over Pago Pago. Jap LBA strike base facilities on Pago Pago and Savaii, also U.S. LCU's on Upolu. Also Jap LBA naval attack strike on transports leaving Pago Pago. AAR's follow.

Day Air attack on Pago Pago , at 96,113

Japanese aircraft
Ki-46-III Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 damaged

Day Air attack on Pago Pago , at 96,113 (this attack appears to have a little help from the KB)

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 10
A6M5 Zeke x 77
D4Y Judy x 192
A6M3a Zero x 5
B6N2 Jill x 251

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 9 destroyed, 56 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 7 destroyed, 28 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 16 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair: 8 destroyed
P-47C Thunderbolt: 7 destroyed
PBM Mariner: 2 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
332 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 16
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 294

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
9 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
28 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
21 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
25 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
15 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
23 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
15 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
26 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
25 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
16 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
11 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
17 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
13 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
12 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
7 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
23 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
16 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet
16 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 8000 feet

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 11
A6M5 Zeke x 101
N1K1-J George x 3
J1N1-S Irving x 11
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 25
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 35
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 14
Ki-49 Helen x 44
Ki-48-II Lily x 64

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 4 damaged
A6M5 Zeke: 11 damaged
N1K1-J George: 3 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 damaged
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 3 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 16 damaged
Ki-48-II Lily: 1 destroyed, 12 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed
F6F Hellcat: 9 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
187 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 124

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
6 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
6 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
17 x Ki-45 KAIb Nick bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
8 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
4 x A6M5 Zeke bombing at 2000 feet
3 x A6M5 Zeke bombing at 2000 feet
6 x A6M5 Zeke bombing at 2000 feet
5 x A6M3 Zero bombing at 2000 feet
4 x A6M5 Zeke bombing at 2000 feet
3 x N1K1-J George bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
3 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
9 x Ki-45 KAIb Nick bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
3 x A6M3 Zero bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-45 KAIb Nick bombing at 2000 feet
4 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
3 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
3 x A6M3 Zero bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-45 KAIb Nick bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-45 KAIb Nick bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet

Day Air attack on Savaii , at 95,112

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 27
B6N2 Jill x 62

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 50

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
18 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
18 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
6 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
7 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
6 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
3 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
3 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
2 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet

Day Air attack on 37th US Division, at 95,113 (Upolu)

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 14
G4M2 Betty x 15
P1Y Frances x 74
G5N Liz x 19

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
370 casualties reported
Guns lost 12
Vehicles lost 4

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet
3 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet
4 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet
11 x G5N Liz bombing at 10000 feet
11 x A6M5 Zeke bombing at 2000 feet
8 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 6000 feet
5 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet
8 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet
8 x G5N Liz bombing at 10000 feet
7 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 6000 feet
7 x P1Y Frances bombing at 6000 feet

Day Air attack on 37th US Division, at 95,113

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
42 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 6000 feet
9 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 6000 feet

Day Air attack on TF at 100,113 (E of Pago Pago)

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Joseph Simon, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage (later sunk)
AK John S. Casement, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage (later sunk)
AK Leonidas Merritt, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

One final try. U.S. ground forces launch attack on Upolu (probably shouldn't have even bothered). At this point, U.S. troops on Upolu are taking the defensive. AAR follows.

Ground combat at Upolu

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 62140 troops, 279 guns, 34 vehicles, Assault Value = 1389
1st Cavalry, Americal, 32nd, 37th & 1st Marine Divisions, HQ I Amphibious Corps

Defending force 45344 troops, 247 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 584
41st, 42nd, 51st, 53rd & 61st Naval Gd; Sasebo 7 SNLF, 51 Independent Mixed Brigade (-), 9 & 11 Independent Mixed Rgts,
Arshan Garrison Rgt, 7 Field Artillery Brigade, 140 IJN Base Force, 127 IJNAF Base Force (-), 5 AF Construction Bn (-),
9 AF Construction Bn, 24 Aviation Unit, 2 Aviation Rgt, 10 Special Base Force (-)

Allied max assault: 858 - adjusted assault: 531
Japanese max defense: 564 - adjusted defense: 2277
Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 9)

Japanese ground losses:
553 casualties reported
Guns lost 21

Allied ground losses:
1709 casualties reported
Guns lost 38
Vehicles lost 7

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/22/2009 10:00:38 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/11/43 - continued

South Pacific: SS Raton now on patrol in Noumea base hex. AAR follows.

Sub attack at Noumea - 66,117

Japanese Ships
MSW W.25, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (confirmed sunk)

Allied Ships
SS Raton

Australia: USAAF bombers strike Daly Waters airfield. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on Daly Waters , at 35,90

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 69
B-26B Marauder x 32

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 2 destroyed, 35 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed, 15 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
352 casualties reported
Guns lost 17

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 74

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-26B Marauder bombing at 10000 feet
9 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder bombing at 10000 feet
4 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
6 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
1 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-26B Marauder bombing at 10000 feet

Detected status of Jap base in Daly Waters - airfield damage 95, 26 Jap LCU's.
Hudson I recon over Darwin reports fighters on CAP, 2 Jap TF's (+1 from last report), 680 aircraft (274 fighters, 29 bombers), 8 Jap LCU's.

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports N1K fighters on CAP, 7 Jap LCU's.

India/Burma: No reported air or ground combat.

F-5C recon over Rangoon reports 1 Jap TF (+1 from last report), 1 ship in port, 689 aircraft (308 fighters, 56 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's, heavy industry 54(139).

China: Jap recon flights over Tuyun, Chungking. AAR's of latest Jap air strikes in China follow.

Day Air attack on 3rd Chinese Corps, at 46,27 (Kungchang - northern China)

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet

Day Air attack on 95th Chinese Corps, at 44,31 (N of Chungking)

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 22

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese ground forces launch attack at Tuyun, continue ground bombardment near Chungking. AAR's follow.

Ground combat at Tuyun

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 311777 troops, 1199 guns, 398 vehicles, Assault Value = 6026
3rd, 6th, 13th, 22nd, 29th, 34th, 36th, 40th, 41st, 60th, 65th, 104th, 110th & 116th Infantry Divisions; 3rd Tank Division;
1 Independent Brigade; 1 Yobi Ebi Rgt; 2, 8, 19, 20,& 27 Engineer Rgts; 2 Mountain Gun Rgt, 2 RF Gun Bn, 6 & 15 FA Rgts,
13 & 15 Tank Rgts, HQ 23rd Army

Defending force 40579 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1103
37th, 46th, 60th, 62nd, 64th, 74th, 79th & 99th Chinese Corps; 71st Chinese Division;
27th Chinese Guerilla Corps; HQ 1st, 2nd, 16th & 20th Group Armies

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 5
Japanese max assault: 4827 - adjusted assault: 4432
Allied max defense: 876 - adjusted defense: 3563
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 5)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Japanese ground losses:
5171 casualties reported
Guns lost 36
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
1803 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Ground combat at 42,33 (SE of Chungking)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 868 troops, 36 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 959
32nd & 47th Infantry Divisions, 1 Mortar Bn
Defending force 35014 troops, 124 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 984
21st, 23rd, 63rd, 75th, 86th & 96th Chinese Corps

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/22/2009 10:26:39 PM)

DW,

The problem is... except for when I have the U.S. Carrier Main Force in the area, the Japanese have complete run of the skies over Pago Pago.

Even with U.S. carriers in the area, the carriers have way too many tasks to take on at once - (1) fighter CAP to protect themselves, (2) fighter CAP to protect transports, (3) taking on the KB (yes, it's in the area), (4) naval strikes against Jap surface combat and/or bombardment TF's going after transports and/or troops ashore, (5) attack the large Jap airbase on Upolu (this base supported by other Jap LBA on Wallis Is and elsewhere). Carriers can perform two, possibly three, of these tasks on a given sortie and not all of them at once.

There is absolutely no operational U.S. LBA on Pago Pago (the key word being operational). Won't be until I can get Pago Pago airfield up, which actually involves bringing a little bit of stuff in though not massive reinforcements. If I can get Pago Pago airbase operational and successfully deal with Jap LBA now flying from Upolu (meaning taking out the base or at least the airfield), then and only then I can think about doing anything at all with troops stuck on the islands.

Evacuating LCU elements from any of the three islands is suicidal under the current situation. Assuming transports got there in one piece (far from a sure bet), most if not all of them would be sunk either in the process of loading or while attempting to leave (along with the cargo loaded on them).

If I was gonna lose ten divisions (and I have no plans to), I'd rather they be on-shore fighting back and killing Japs instead of passively drowning as their ship goes down.

Thusly, they are stuck. Kinda like Gilligan's Island with 62,000 men and no Ginger or Mary Ann. (that sucks)

I do have 101K supply on Upolu (or at least the display says). Somebody must be sneaking a patrol through the Jap lines each night to raid the Sake dumps. Gotta be the Marines.

DW -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/22/2009 11:34:53 PM)

I've been following your AAR closely enough to understand your predicament.

I just wanted to make certain that you're aware that you can lift LCUs off of a contested beach.

When Canoerebel was in a tough spot after his invasion of Hokkaido failed, a poster in his AAR was advising that one couldn't pick up LCUs if one didn't control the hex.

I was concerned that you may also share that view, which is, of course, incorrect.

Once you get your base force to Pago Pago and your LBA operational, you'll soon be able to wrestle control of the air and surrounding seas from your opponent. From all the AARs I've read, I've absolutely no doubt of that.

Once you manage that, extracting your LCUs from Upolu should be a breeze.

If you can keep your opponent interested in fighting in the area, Pago Pago isn't really a bad place to start attriting his air power and getting it whittled down for the invasions you're considering for the future.

I like your plan to get your CVs right back into the fight once they replenish at Penryhn.

As Canoerebel noted, you're getting to be the big dog on the block. While there's always attendant risk, getting your opponent to commit his air power is the first step in destroying it.
I think the sort of CV drubbing at the hands of KB is, at this point in the game unlikely. So, I think it wise to get your carriers out there and, within reason, dare him to attack you.

Good Luck.

Alfred -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/23/2009 5:56:46 AM)

wneumann,

I am preparing a post to offer some suggestions.  I think it would be helpful to all who are following this AAR if you could post a screenshot of the following areas to show ownership of bases and where the front lines are:

1.  Northeast India/Burma
2.  Northeast Australia/Torres Strait
3.  Northern Territory of Australia/Kimberleys
4.  Arafura/Timor/Ceram Seas

As a preview to my post, I think you are far too negative regarding Pago Pago/Savaii - handled correctly and aggressively you should be able to crush your opponent here well before 1 March 1944.  You are also far too passive in central Australia with unjustified fears of enemy capabilities.

Alfred

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/23/2009 5:48:09 PM)

quote:

I've been following your AAR closely enough to understand your predicament.

I just wanted to make certain that you're aware that you can lift LCUs off of a contested beach.

Not so much a question of whether I can or not, it's whether or not they could be removed safely under the present circumstances. And one also can't exclude the possibility of leaving those LCU in there and finishing the job - though this option is certainly not within my current operational plans. The priority is getting Pago Pago airfield operational and U.S. LBA flying from it. The rest comes later...

quote:

Once you get your base force to Pago Pago and your LBA operational, you'll soon be able to wrestle control of the air and surrounding seas from your opponent. From all the AARs I've read, I've absolutely no doubt of that.

Once you manage that, extracting your LCUs from Upolu should be a breeze.

When the situation reaches that point (Pago Pago airfield is operating and U.S. LBA is flying from it), what to do with U.S. LCU's in this area can be explored. As stated above, who knows what the situation will be like at that time. Take of the business that needs to be done now, then see what things look like later.

quote:

If you can keep your opponent interested in fighting in the area, Pago Pago isn't really a bad place to start attriting his air power and getting it whittled down for the invasions you're considering for the future.

I have been whittling away at Japanese LBA over Pago Pago (mainly with the carriers), also having some recent success over NW Australia and Rangoon (especially after I started sending long-range fighter escorts with the 4E bombers).

What makes knocking down Jap LBA air power a challenge is that Pillager has concentrated much of his LBA (partilcularly fighters) in those three locations (Rangoon, Darwin, Pago Pago area) - though there is one advantage to this situation, if Japanese LBA starts weakening in one or more of those three places, the attrition causing this is likely affecting the entire Jap LBA force and not just the local situation.

quote:

I like your plan to get your CVs right back into the fight once they replenish at Penryhn.

As Canoerebel noted, you're getting to be the big dog on the block. While there's always attendant risk, getting your opponent to commit his air power is the first step in destroying it. I think the sort of CV drubbing at the hands of KB is, at this point in the game unlikely. So, I think it wise to get your carriers out there and, within reason, dare him to attack you.

I'd certainly like to knock off the KB, it would make life on the offensive a lot easier. Pillager is now using the KB mainly as a force-in-being, a deterrent. Both of us know the Allied fleets cannot stick their neck out too far as long as the KB continues to exist, it has to be accounted for in any Allied naval plans unless it is known to be elsewhere. The fact that Pillager has not sent the KB into action vs the U.S. Main Carrier Force somewhat confirms this, he can't afford to make a mistake with the KB, it's the biggest Japanese trump card. And I'm watching for a mistake.

The fact that Pillager has moved the KB southward into the Pago Pago area is significant in a number of ways. Most importantly the KB is stuck here facing the U.S. carriers as long as they are in the Pago Pago area (or Pillager thinks they are), which means the KB is here and not somewhere else. There's also the possibility that Japanese LBA alone is not (or soon will not be) sufficient to carry the load against U.S. forces at Pago Pago.

The primary mission of my carriers around Pago Pago has been escorting incoming transports to Pago Pago, for the moment the carriers are their only available escort. Jap LBA would be otherwise sinking most if not all of my transports long before reaching Pago Pago. Though my carriers can pursue other missions after the transports reach Pago Pago, they have to stick with the primary mission until they do. Also my VF squadron fighter pilots are getting some nice, relatively cheap combat experience.

I definately need to make one more sortie into Pago Pago with transports (sending in an Aviation Rgt to support plane ops once the airfield does get operational).

quote:

Good Luck.

Appreciate it.

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/23/2009 5:55:25 PM)

Alfred, will work on getting some maps done. It has been awhile since I posted maps on any of these areas.

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 6:27:22 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/12/43

North Pacific: Jap recon flight over Attu Is. Otherwise quiet.

Central Pacific: No Jap air patrol activity reported by U.S. subs operating near Kwajelain, Truk, or the Canton Is area. Jap air patrols (G5N Liz, Ki-46 Dinah, Ki-49 Helen, D4Y Judy) continue off Japanese home islands.

SS Scamp intercepts Jap Transport TF (four ships, moving on SE heading) south of Tokyo. AAR follows.

Sub attack at 67,46

Japanese Ships
AK Asosan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Tatsumiya Maru
PG Tamo Maru #6
PG Okuyo Maru
PG Fukui Maru
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
SS Scamp

180 ships detected in port at Tokyo.
3 Japanese ships detected at anchor in Kwajalein base, 3 ships detected in port at Truk.

F-5A recon over Canton Is reports 24 aircraft, 15 Jap LCU's.

Pago Pago, Day 87 of the Fiasco: Weather forecast for Pago Pago area is heavy precipitation. No reported naval activity or ground combat this game turn.

Air transport of supply into Pago Pago base continues - seems to be working as supply point stocks on Pago Pago are increasing despite the Japanese attacks. Japanese attempts to intercept air transport flights over Pago Pago are being reported though no U.S. planes were lost.

Air transport missions into Pago Pago from Penhryn are being carried out entirely with 4E bombers (currently 108 Liberators of various types engaged with this mission with more planes on the way). As no Japanese targets (worthwhile or otherwise) currently exist within either the normal or extended range of 4E bombers from any U.S. Pacific theatre base, supply transport for these planes may be the way to go for the moment.

Ample numbers of 4E bombers in Pacific theatres are available for supply missions while leaving adequate numbers of these planes on hand for other activities. It's something I can use to improve the situation on Pago Pago. As long as the bombers are not required for something else or I'm losing these planes in significant numbers, we go with this. I do have some transport planes (both C-47's and C-46's) on Penhryn but neither of these types have the range to reach Pago Pago.

Current status of Pago Pago base - runway damage 89, airfield service damage 76, port damage 2.
Current status of Savaii base - runway damage 99, airfield service damage 100, port damage 9 (no change).

Jap recon flight over Pago Pago. Jap LBA strike base facilities on Savaii. No Jap air attacks on U.S. LCU's on Upolu. All surviving U.S. transports now outside the range of Jap LBA naval attack strikes. AAR's follow.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-46-III Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 damaged

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 48

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 9 damaged

Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported

Runway hits 19

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
12 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 6:57:57 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/12/43 - continued.

Australia: No reported ground or air activity.

Detected status of Jap base in Daly Waters - airfield damage 100, 27 Jap LCU's.
Allied recon flights over Darwin, Exmouth, Port Moresby all reporting no detected activity or change in Jap forces.

DEI: SS Snook off Singapore reporting Japanese air activity (Ki-21 Sally, Ki-48 Lily, E13A1 & F1M2 floatplanes). No reported contacts in the DEI area between U.S. subs and Japanese surface ships or ASW.

India: RAF planes attack airfield facilities at Magwe, this being the largest (size) Jap airfield in Burma outside Rangoon. Other Allied planes launch ground attack strikes against several Jap LCU targets. AAR's follow.

Day Air attack on Magwe , at 31,29

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 75
Beaufighter VIC x 68

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 17 damaged
Beaufighter VIC: 7 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
294 casualties reported
Guns lost 9

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 82

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
6 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
8 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
3 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
6 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
9 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
16 x Beaufighter VIC attacking at 100 feet
12 x Beaufighter VIC attacking at 100 feet
14 x Beaufighter VIC attacking at 100 feet
4 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
5 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
2 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
2 x Beaufighter VIC attacking at 100 feet

Day Air attack on 11th Heavy AA Battalion, at 33,29 (Mandalay)

Allied aircraft
B-25G/H Mitchell x 24

Allied aircraft losses
B-25G/H Mitchell: 1 destroyed, 22 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
179 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-25G/H Mitchell attacking at 100 feet
12 x B-25G/H Mitchell attacking at 100 feet

Day Air attack on 33rd/B Division, at 35,30 (Lashio)

Allied aircraft
A-36A Apache x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x A-36A Apache attacking at 100 feet

CW-22 Falcon recon over Magwe reporting airfield damage 18, 8 Jap LCU's.

F-5C recon over Rangoon reports 3 Jap TF's (+2 from last report), 1 ship in port, 714 aircraft (334 fighters, 51 bombers), 12 Jap LCU's (+3 from last report), heavy industry 55(138). As seen below, the Jap bombers in Rangoon are G4M Betty.

Tried sending in supply to Chittagong base by sea (not that I was running short there), didn't quite get away with it. AAR follows. A number of Allied Transport TF's in the last 10-15 game turns have arrived in Calcutta undetected and unloaded without incident - movement of these transports being done around Ceylon, then along the coast from Madras.

Day Air attack on TF at Chittagong - 31,25

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied Ships (five AK total in this TF)
AK Empire Might, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (system damage 91, float 69, fire 9)
AK Empire Mariott, Torpedo hits 1 (system damage 6, float 11, no fire)
AK Empire Miranda, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (system damage 83, float 72, fire 9)

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

China: Jap recon flights over Tuyun, Chungking, Kweiyang. AAR's of latest Jap air strikes in China follow.

Day Air attack on 23rd Chinese Corps, at 42,33 (SE of Chungking)

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
50 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet

Day Air attack on 62nd Chinese Corps, at 41,35 (Tuyun)

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 17
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 6
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 19
Ki-51 Sonia x 72
Ki-21-II Sally x 6
Ki-48-II Lily x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 10000 feet
15 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
18 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
8 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
17 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
7 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
7 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 6000 feet
13 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
17 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet

Day Air attack on 64th Chinese Corps, at 41,35 (Tuyun)

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 3
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 2
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4
Ki-51 Sonia x 10
Ki-21-II Sally x 4
Ki-48-II Lily x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
50 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 10000 feet
2 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
2 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
4 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 6000 feet

Day Air attack on 64th Chinese Corps, at 41,35 (Tuyun)

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 13
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 20

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
13 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 6000 feet

Day Air attack on 60th Chinese Corps, at 41,35 (Tuyun)

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 3
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 3
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 8
Ki-51 Sonia x 26
Ki-21-II Sally x 7
Ki-48-II Lily x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
89 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 10000 feet
3 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
5 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
6 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
7 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 6000 feet
5 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese ground forces launching bombardment attacks at Tuyun and near Chungking. AAR's follow.

Ground combat at Tuyun

Attacking force 269647 troops, 1076 guns, 239 vehicles, Assault Value = 5679
3rd, 6th, 13th, 22nd, 29th, 34th, 36th, 40th, 41st, 60th, 65th, 104th, 110th & 116th Infantry Divisions; 3rd Tank Division;
1 Independent Brigade; 1 Yobi Ebi Rgt, 2, 8, 19, 20,& 27 Engineer Rgts; 2 Mountain Gun Rgt, 2 RF Gun Bn, 6 & 15 FA Rgts,
Defending force 38381 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 993
37th, 46th, 60th, 62nd, 64th, 74th, 79th & 99th Chinese Corps; 71st Chinese Division;

Allied ground losses:
95 casualties reported

Ground combat at 42,33

Attacking force 868 troops, 36 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 960
Defending force 35019 troops, 130 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 983

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported

ny59giants -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 8:32:39 PM)

quote:

Current status of Pago Pago base - runway damage 89, airfield service damage 76, port damage 2.
Current status of Savaii base - runway damage 99, airfield service damage 100, port damage 9 (no change).

What is the total number of engineer and engineer vehicles at each base that are not disabled?? Engineer squads are for combat so I don't need that info. You will need to go to each LCU to get that info. Each engineer vehicle counts as 5 engineers. If your total is over 200, your bases have a good chance to eventually repair as long as more damage doesn't happen. If its below 100, any damage to the AF will make repairs very difficult.

You can air lift in engineers, but not their vehicles. Your American patrol planes should be able to make the trip and could be added to your lift efforts.

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 10:31:21 PM)

This post lists British, Indian, U.S. and Australian combat LCU's in the India/Burma theatre.

Cox’s Bazar: 63 Indian & Burma Frontier Force Brigades
Chittagong: 14th & 23rd Indian Divisions, 115 Gurkha Brigade,
3 Carabineers Rgt (armored), HQ XV Indian Corps
Dacca: 55th Prov Chinese Division; 6 British, 21, 24 & 25 Indian Med Artillery Rgts; 7 Armored Brigade, 19 KGVO Tank Rgt,
4 & 5 US Provisional Tank Bns, HQ British 14th Army
Imphal: 1 Burma, 13 & 15 Indian Brigades; HQ Indian III Corps
Outpost position E of Imphal: 2 Burma Rifle Brigade
Kohima: 15 Indian & 16 Chindit Brigades, 1 Assam Rifles
Dimapur: 20th Indian Division
Ledo: 46 Indian & 1 Burma Rifle Brigades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rangpur: 49th, 93rd, 96th & 200th Chinese Divisions; 6 & 8 Indian Brigades; 77 & 111 Chindit Brigades; 25 Gurkha Rifles, 5307 US RCT,
254 Indian Tank Brigade
Asansol: 2nd British & 5th Indian Divisions, HQ Indian IV Corps, 28 British FA Rgt
Calcutta: 45 Indian Brigade, 50 Indian Para Brigade, 116 RAC Tank Rgt, 1 & 6 US Provisional Tank Bns
Diamond Harbor: 26th Indian Division, 44th Indian Brigade
Cuttack: 18th British Division, 1 & 15 British Field Artillery Rgts
Vigasapatam: 3 Indian & 48 Gurkha Brigades
Madras: 25th Indian Division, 12 & 99 Indian Brigades, 1 Medium & A’Indian FA Rgts, 9 RDH Indian Tank Rgt, 2 & 3 US Provisional Tank Bns
Mannargudi: 14 Chindit & 29 British Brigades

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colombo: 7th Australian Division AIF, 28 Indian & 72 British Brigades
Trincomalee: Ceylon Infantry & SSVF Brigades

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bombay: 75 & 268 Indian Brigades
Delhi: HQ USAFFE (30% of full TOE strength)
Karachi: 255 Indian Tank Brigade

LCU’s enroute from Aden to Indian mainland: 3 Special Service Brigade, 25 Dragoons Tank Rgt

British/Indian reinforcements due to enter game within 120 Days: 7th Indian Division;
22 East African, 150 & 155 Indian Brigades

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 11:12:53 PM)

Situation map of Burma & NE India follows along with known locations of Japanese LCU's as of 12/13/43.

Rangoon: 12 detected LCU's including 31st Infantry Division, HQ 28th Army, two other HQ (one air, one naval), one Construction Bn, one IJA Aviation Rgt, six other unidentified LCU's (possibly includes flak and/or engineers).

Moulmein: 2 detected LCU's including 33rd Infantry Division/A and one IJN Base Force
Meiktila: HQ Burma Area Army, one IJA Aviation Rgt, one AA Rgt, one Heavy AA Bn, exact number of LCU's unknown
Taung Gyi: no known Jap LCU's in this location

Lashio: 33rd Infantry Division/b, one AA Rgt, one IJAAF & one IJA Base Force, one IJA Aviation Rgt, exact number of LCU's unknown
Myitkyina: one detected LCU probably 1 Reserve Tank Rgt, other possible LCU's include 28 Engineer Rgt, one Heavy AA Bn (these may have moved elsewhere)
Mandalay: 9 detected LCU's including 33rd Infantry Division/C, HQ 15th Army, one AA Rgt, one Heavy AA Bn, one IJA Base Force, four other unidentitified LCU's
Magwe: 8 detected LCU's including 55th Infantry Division, one AA Rgt, one Light AA Bn, five other unidentified LCU's.

Jap LCU's known to be in India but last known location is not a base hex: one Heavy AA Bn & two IJA Base Forces. No known Infantry, Artillery, or Tank LCU's are in this category.

If detected base information is correct, a net number of estimated 8 detected Jap LCU's in Burma are unidentified. Based on known Jap LCU locations elsewhere, it is a good possiblity most or all of these are non-combat units.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/2BC01E0936394DFE817AED76FBB513B8.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 11:17:16 PM)

The following is a re-post of Allied combat LCU's presently in Australia.

Adelaide: 6 Australian Cavalry Brigade
Melbourne: 9th Australian Division AIF, Sparrow Force Bn, 2/6 Armored Rgt, Makassar Garrison Bn (Dutch)
Sydney: 2nd Australian Division
Newcastle: NGVR Infantry Bn
Brisbane: 7 Australian Brigade
Rockhampton: 29 Australian Brigade
Townsville: 1st Australian Division
Cairns: 1st Australian Cavalry Division

Cooktown: US 40th Infantry Division; 11, 22 AIF, 27 AIF, 31 Australian Brigades; Lark Force Bn, 2/5 Independent Co, HQ US III Corps,
US 148 FA Bn, US 82 CM Bn, 1 1 Australian Artillery Rgt, 3 Australian AT Rgt, 4 Australian Tank Rgt, 2 & 3 Australian Tank Bns,
2/4 & 2/8 Armored Rgts, US 632 TD Bn

Coen: 1 Australian Motor Brigade, 2/1 & 2/3 Independent Cos

LCU’s in Cooktown and Coen plus 32 Australian Brigade now prepping for attack on Jap base at Portland Roads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennant Creek: 3rd & 4th Australian Divisions, 2nd Australian Cavalry Division, 23 Australian Brigade AIF, 31 US RCT, 4 USMC Rgt, Gull Force Bn, 2/2 & 2/4 Independent Cos, HQ I Australian Corps, HQ Australian 1st Army, 131 US FA Bn, 147 US FA Rgt; 1, 2, 101 & 106 Australian AT Rgts, 2/9 Armored Rgt, 1 Australian Army Tank Bn

Perth: 6th Australian Division AIF, 3 Australian Brigade
Geraldton: 13 Australian Brigade

7th Australian Division AIF located at Colombo

Australian reinforcements due to enter game within 120 Days: none

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/23/2009 11:56:15 PM)

Situation map of NW Australia along with known locations of Jap LCU's as of 12/13/43.

Pillager has recently shifted many LCU's between bases within NW Australia - therefore exact locations are likely to be incorrect. However, this still does give a somewhat accurate picture of Jap LCU's identified as being somewhere in NW Australia - these LCU are likely to be in the general area though current locations may or may not be correct.

Darwin: 8 Jap LCU's currently detected in Darwin. Jap LCU's with last known location in Darwin include 21 Mixed Brigade, one Heavy AA Bn, 1 Engineer Rgt,
5 Engineer Bn, HQ 14th Army, two Construction Bns, one IJA Aviation Unit, 5 Mortar Rgt.

Daly Waters: 27 Jap LCU's currently detected in Daly Waters. Jap LCU's with last known location in Daly Waters include 2nd & 5th Infantry Divisions; 14 Tank Rgt;
HQ 2nd Area Army; 3, 5 & 14 Mortar Rgts; 18 Heavy FA Rgt, 3 Mountain Gun Rgt, four AA Rgts, two Heavy AA Bns,

Katherine: No Jap LCU's currently detected in Katherine. Jap LCU's with last known location in Katherine include Yokosuka 2 SNLF, 1 Tank Rgt, one Heavy AA Bn.

Broome: No Jap LCU's currently detected in Broome. One IJN Base Force unit has last known location in Broome.

Wyndham: No Jap LCU's currently detected in Wyndham. Two Jap LCU's have a last known location in Wyndham - 22 NLF & 3 Mortar Rgt.

Jap LCU's known to be in NW Australia but last known location is not a base hex: 6 Tank Rgt, three AA Rgts, one Heavy AA Rgt, two Heavy AA Bns, one IJN Base Force, one IJA Base Force, one Air HQ. No known Infantry or Artillery LCU's are in this category.

A total of 35 Jap LCU's are detected in NW Australia (all in Darwin or Daly Waters) - 31 of these are identified (last known locations may or may not be correct). That leaves four unidentified Jap LCU's if all other information is correct.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/3B787F91EE8748A8A06D18223FFE2D58.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/12/43 (5/24/2009 12:14:51 AM)

The following is a current situation map and disposition of known Jap LCU's in NE Australia & Port Moresby as of 12/13/43.

Portland Roads: No Jap LCU's detected in this base. Jap LCU's identified as being in Portland Roads include 8 NLF, three Construction Bns, one IJN Base Force.

Thursday Island: No Jap LCU's detected in this base. Jap LCU's identified as being at Thursday Is include Kure 6 SNLF & 6 Reserve Tank Rgt. 6 Reserve Tank Rgt is likely to be in Thursday Is base, information on Kure 6 SNLF is old and possibly unreliable.

One Jap LCU (Yokosuka 5 SNLF) has been identified in NE Australia outside of either Portland Roads or Thursday Island bases. It is likely that Yokosuka 5 SNLF is now in Portland Roads.

Port Moresby: 7 Jap LCU's detected in Port Moresby (this figure is continuously reported and very likely correct) including 5th Mongolian Cavalry Division, Kure 3 SNLF, 87 Naval Gd, HQ 17th Army. At least one base force LCU (unidentified) is very likely present in Port Moresby as a small number of aircraft have been observed operating from there.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/89A00C97DBC14F2D80DDDD364C30EAD5.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/24/2009 12:23:41 AM)

Current situation map of Timor Sea area as of 12/13/43.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/19C19B68093E459497022E8CF5098F43.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/11/43 (5/24/2009 12:42:57 AM)

ny59giants,

The two CBT Engineer Rgts on Pago Pago shown below contain a total of 162 (assault) engineer squads. Practically all construction engineer squads in the five Seabee units, both base forces, and also some in 3rd Marine Division are operational (not disrupted). Overall condition of LCU elements on Pago Pago is quite good considering all the pounding.

The supply airlift from Penhryn into Pago Pago seems to be working - number of supply points on hand in Pago Pago is gradually increasing despite Jap LBA air attacks.

The #1 item I'm working on to get into Pago Pago is an Aviation Rgt to service enough planes once the airfield is capable of supporting air ops. Any additional supply points above or over that is a plus. Sending another Seabeee unit or two is an option depending on need. That's pretty much my current short-range plans for Pago Pago.

Once the airbase comes up, then we'll see what can be done next. Below is the ground unit display on Pago Pago as of the 12/13 game turn.

Appreciate your comments.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/5315DE51E410453A8EA0EBE46B04E1BB.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 4:00:49 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/13/43

North Pacific: Jap recon flight over Attu. Otherwise quiet.

Central Pacific: No change in Jap air patrols reported by U.S. operating near Kwajalein, Canton Is area, off Japanese home islands from activity reported on 12/12.

SS Barb intercepts Jap transport TF south of Tokyo, torpedoes AK in a night action. AAR follows.

Sub attack at 67,47 (E of Tori Shima)

Japanese Ships
AK Nichiran Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Asosan Maru
PG Tatsumiya Maru
PG Tamo Maru #6
PG Okuyo Maru
PG Fukui Maru
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
SS Barb

196 ships detected in port at Tokyo.

SS Cero also torpedoes a Jap transport north of Eniewetok. AAR follows.

Sub attack at 72,74

Japanese Ships
AK Sasako Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
PC Ch 30
PC Showa Maru #3

Allied Ships
SS Cero

15 Japanese ships detected at anchor in Kwajalein, 5 ships detected in port at Truk.
F-5A recon over Canton Is reports 6 aircraft, 15 Jap LCU's.

Pago Pago, Day 88 of the Fiasco: Weather forecast for Pago Pago area is more heavy precipitation. No reported naval activity this game turn.

Jap recon flight over Pago Pago. Jap LBA strikes against base facilities on Savaii, no attacks on Pago Pago or U.S. LCU's on Upolu. AAR's follow.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-46-III Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 25
B6N2 Jill x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 4 damaged

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 33

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
18 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
6 x B6N2 Jill bombing at 6000 feet
4 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 20

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
11 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
5 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet

Jap ground forces bombard U.S. LCU's on Upolu. AAR follows.

Ground combat at Upolu

Attacking force 3334 troops, 68 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 612
41st, 42nd, 51st, 53rd & 61st Naval Gd; Sasebo 7 SNLF, 51 Independent Mixed Brigade (-), 9 & 11 Independent Mixed Rgts,
Arshan Garrison Rgt, 7 Field Artillery Brigade,140 IJN Base Force, 127 IJNAF Base Force (-), 5 AF Construction Bn (-),
9 AF Construction Bn, 24 Aviation Unit, 2 Aviation Rgt, 10 Special Base Force (-)

Defending force 61478 troops, 216 guns, 27 vehicles, Assault Value = 1198
1st Cavalry, Americal, 32nd, 37th & 1st Marine Divisions, HQ I Amphibious Corps

Allied ground losses:
104 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

wneumann -> Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 4:46:08 PM)

Summary of Operations 12/13/43 - part deux

South Pacific: SS Ray patrolling Suva base hex comes across an interesting development... The KB and Jap BB's returning home. AAR's follow.

Sub attack at Suva - 83,117

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu, Torpedo hits 1
BB Nagato
CL Tama
DD Ariake
DD Wakaba
DD Murasame
DD Shigure

Allied Ships
SS Ray

ASW attack at Suva - 83,117

Japanese Ships
DD Okikaze
DD Sawakaze
DD Minekaze
DD Wakazuki
CV Shokaku

Allied Ships
SS Ray

ASW attack at Suva - 83,117

Japanese Ships
DD Karukaya
DD Asagao
DD Kuretake
DD Takanami
DD Niizuki
CL Agano
CV Amagi

Allied Ships
SS Ray, hits 3 (system damage 10, no float or fire)

SS Paddle at Rabaul reports one Jap TF, five Japanese ships at anchor in Rabaul base.

Australia: No air or ground combat reported this game turn.

Detected status of Jap base in Daly Waters - airfield damage 100, 27 Jap LCU's.
Hudson I recon over Darwin reporting fighters on CAP, 2 Jap TF's, 8 Jap LCU's.
Allied recon flights over Port Moresby and Exmouth both report no detected activity or change in Jap forces.

India/Burma: USAAF and RAF Liberators with fighter escort attack Rangoon airfield. All Allied planes returned to base (none destroyed in action) though many were damaged. Very light pilot losses. Jap plane losses and airfield damage to Rangoon shown in the Japanese version (below) of this AAR and the Allied AAR of this action differ considerably. Later recon flights over Rangoon may provide more of a picture of what actually happened or didn't.

Day Air attack on Rangoon , at 29,33

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 28
N1K1-J George x 9
J2M Jack x 13
J1N1-S Irving x 15
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 30
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 24
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 32

Allied aircraft
Liberator III x 53
P-38J Lightning x 12
P-47D Thunderbolt x 29
P-51B Mustang x 6
B-24D Liberator x 30
B-24J Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 4 destroyed, 20 damaged
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged
J2M Jack: 1 destroyed, 12 damaged
J1N1-S Irving: 3 destroyed, 9 damaged
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 6 destroyed, 18 damaged
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 1 destroyed, 23 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 9 destroyed, 14 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator III: 35 damaged
P-38J Lightning: 3 destroyed, 6 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 15 destroyed
P-51B Mustang: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 8 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 7 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
130 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 89

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
6 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
3 x Liberator III bombing at 13000 feet
4 x Liberator III bombing at 13000 feet
6 x Liberator III bombing at 13000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 13000 feet
2 x Liberator III bombing at 13000 feet

F-5C recon over Rangoon reports 3 Jap TF's, airfield damage 20, 564 aircraft (239 fighters, 51 bombers), 12 Jap LCU's, heavy industry 56(137).
CW-22 Falcon recon over Magwe reporting airfield damage 22, 8 Jap LCU's.

RAF fighters launch ground attack strike on Jap LCU's in Magwe. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on 55th Division, at 31,29 (Magwe)

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vb x 62

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vb: 15 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Spitfire Vb attacking at 100 feet
9 x Spitfire Vb attacking at 100 feet
7 x Spitfire Vb attacking at 100 feet
10 x Spitfire Vb attacking at 100 feet

China: Jap recon flights over Tuyun, Chungking, Kweiyang. AAR's of the latest Jap air strike in China follows.

Day Air attack on 5th Chinese Cavalry Corps, at 41,34 (Kweiyang)

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet
4 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar bombing at 2000 feet

Jap ground forces continue bombardment attacks on Tuyun and near Chungking. AAR's follow.

I've seen occasional entries in Sigint where various Jap LCU's are prepping to attack Kweiyang. Given the distribution of Jap LCU's in China (half or more of Japanese combat units in China now engaged at Tuyun), Pillager's major thrust is most definately in the south via Tuyun and Kweiyang - either to outflank Chungking from the south, or to march towards Kunming and eventually link up with Japanese forces in northern Burma.

As stated in one of my recent reports, offensive capability of Chinese ground forces is practically zero. Defensively I can keep the Japanese army in China clogged up in Tuyun and later at Kweiyang. The large number of Jap LCU's that are now attacking at Tuyun and their slow rate of progress could reflect these Jap LCU's are worn down and not in very good shape. Pillager has several times fed fresh Jap LCU's into the battle at Tuyun only to apparently have them worn down.

Tuyun has not been fun for the Jap army. In the event Tuyun falls, a similar battle awaits them at Kweiyang.

Current situation map also follows this report.

Ground combat at Tuyun

Attacking force 270861 troops, 1082 guns, 240 vehicles, Assault Value = 5433
1 Independent Brigade; 1 Yobi Ebi Rgt, 2, 8, 19, 20,& 27 Engineer Rgts; 2 Mountain Gun Rgt, 2 RF Gun Bn, 6 & 15 FA Rgts,

Defending force 38873 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1021

Allied ground losses:
80 casualties reported

Ground combat at 42,33 (SE of Chungking)

Attacking force 868 troops, 36 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 961
Defending force 34772 troops, 127 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 974

Allied ground losses:
4 casualties reported

[image]local://upfiles/18646/6F25001FC168401B96055E99C57E670F.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 5:37:11 PM)

Current situation map of Kuriles and Jap northern areas as 12/14/43. Further operations and planning in this theatre will be henceforth referenced as Operation Bulldog.

Little Japanese movement of any kind appears to be occurring in this area other than a small reinforcement of Paramushiro immediately after U.S. planes from Attu recently began air strikes on this base. If the size and frequency of U.S. air strikes on Paramushiro is maintained at their current level, I do not see Pillager giving this area a great deal of attention. They're nuisance strikes, period.

Known Japanese force deployments in this region follow.

Shikuka: Two Jap ships detected in port. 2 Jap LCU's detected in Shikuka including Karafuto Mixed Brigade and a IJN Base Force.
Toyohara: No detected Jap LCU's. However, Sigint reports indicate 7 Coastal Gun Rgt, one Construction Bn, and an IJA Aviation unit are located in Toyohara.
Paramushiro Jima: 3 Jap LCU's detected in Paramushiro including North Chishima Fortress, one Construction Bn, and an IJN Base Force.
Onnekotan Jima: No detected Jap LCU's. However, Sigint reports indicate one IJA Base Force.
Ketoi Jima: No detected Jap LCU's. Sigint reports also indicate no Jap LCU's, though Jap planes appear to be based on Ketoi Jima suggesting presence of a possible Jap Base Force unit.
Shimushiri Jima: No detected Jap LCU's. Sigint reports also indicating no Jap LCU's here.
Uruppu Jima: No detected Jap LCU's. Sigint reports also indicating no Jap LCU's here.
Etorofu: No detected Jap LCU's. However, Sigint reports indicate Ankei SNLF and a IJN Base Force are located on Etorofu.
Kunashiri: No detected Jap LCU's. Sigint reports also indicating no Jap LCU's here.

It may be a bit ambitious given the recent fiasco on Pago Pago, but creation of the largest possible U.S. foothold as possible in this area should be considered.

An advance to Sakhalin should certainly include the capture of Paramushiro Jima for several reasons. One, to insure a line of communication between Sakhalin and the Aleutians. Secondly, Paramushiro airfield is useful as a transfer point for U.S. plane movements to and from Sakhalin, particularly for fighters and 2E bombers. Paramushiro airfield itself can also be used to launch bombing attacks on Japan proper.

How far southward into the Kuriles? Best possible outcome would be to push the Japanese back onto Hokkaido. Doing this would limit the ability of Jap LBA to interdict U.S shipping through the bottleneck at Paramushiro. This would also limit the number of Japanese bombers that can reach U.S. bases on Paramushiro or Sakhalin and also reduce the fighter escort that can fly with them.

Occupation of the southern Kuriles as far as Etorofu might be done with a series of small invasions using forces no larger than USMC Raider or Para Bns on unoccupied islands, RCT strength or greater against islands that are occupied. Capture of Etorofu itself would be a plus, though the decision on that may be deferred for later in the planning process.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/A6AD333B334942C390B1A8B9A8A3EE81.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 6:31:59 PM)

This is a game mechanics question.... How do you get excess planes and pilots out of an air unit. Withdrawing or disbanding this squadron does not appear to work - both these functions dump the planes and pilots into another F4U-1 squadron located in the same base, leaving an even bigger mess.

Any ideas (if there are any) are appreciated.

Judging from information in the display, the 17 damaged & one reserve F4U in VMF-311 can never be operational as the squadron can only have 24 planes operational at a given time (that maximum already being reached).

[image]local://upfiles/18646/2A8C81DB93644A08986289920BEFCB2E.jpg[/image]

ny59giants -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 6:38:14 PM)

The adverse affects for the Cold Zone don't expire until 1 March 44, so I wouldn't plan to do much in that area until that date is reached. This area should be monitored (recon flights and subs) and exploited once your Pago Pago fiasco is done. [;)]  Read Nemo's latest AAR to see how it can be done with very little CVs availiable.

Thanks for the info on your engineers on Pago Pago. I'm doing my first adventures playing as Japan and I truly miss all those damn SeaBees! 

DivePac88 -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 6:45:45 PM)

Have you tried the AK method; load the airgroup/sqaudron onto a AK, then disinbark, and most of the aircraft air damaged/crated after the unloading turn. Then you fly off the flyable aircraft to another airfield, then you can dispand the componant unit left with damaged aircraft and pilots into unit of your choice.

Feinder -> RE: Summary of Operations 12/13/43 (5/25/2009 7:35:57 PM)

If you want to get rid of the extra planes in the unit, you can downgrade-upgrade the aircraft.  If the unit is an F4U, swap them to WildCats or HellCats, then switch them back to F4Us.  This will reset the number of AC in the squadron, and dump the extras back into the pool (of course, they're all damaged, but you've reset to 24x AC).

The extra pilots in your squadron - can't do much about that.  Extra pilots in a squadron are rarely something to complain about, unless you're up againt the max-pilot issue.

-F-

Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI